[HH1.0] Thousand Sons tactica

Excessus

I would lean more towards a Chaplain leading that block, and let the Praetor hang with Levitating Sekhmet, but sure. Pavoni would also grant you +1 on sweeping (and whatever tactical advantage you can extract from your HQ being able to move further when running).

I would lean more towards a Chaplain leading that block, and let the Praetor hang with Levitating Sekhmet, but sure. Pavoni would also grant you +1 on sweeping (and whatever tactical advantage you can extract from your HQ being able to move further when running).

I agree, a bike Praetor with Levitating Sehkmet is probably the best way to go, but one of the reasons I came to 30k from 40k is to get away from the bikes for everyone mentality. And a Jump Praetor with termies just looks dumb. So I'd really like to run the Praetor with some sort of jump unit. Adding a Chaplain is a good, if somewhat ironic, idea. Although my initial plan was a pair of medical with the termies.

Regarding Pavoni, I think Raptora is the way to go for any "combat" character, even rolling Biomancy. 3++ is just too good.

The idea of a bike or jump pack leading terminators is so ridiculous in my mind that it didn't even occur to me. Sure that's probably the most min-maxed way to get T5 on the Praetor but I was just talking about on foot being Levitated about along with the Sekhmet.

The idea of a bike or jump pack leading terminators is so ridiculous in my mind that it didn't even occur to me. Sure that's probably the most min-maxed way to get T5 on the Praetor but I was just talking about on foot being Levitated about along with the Sekhmet.

I just worry that levitating with the Sehkmet still doesn't make him fast enough. Levitate can get them up the board, but he still would only have the 6+2d6 charge the next turn, giving the enemy a full turn to move things into a bad position for me. I love the better overall mobility of a Jump unit.

If you were making a Crimson King list based around 2 small Sehkmet and a big Assault Squad with a Jump Praetor, what would you do with the other 2 hq slots? My initial thought was a pair of terminator primus medicae but I'm open to other ideas.

Hoping a few of you guys will give me some ideas on how to equip 2 vet squads, I would like to get to modelling tonight.

I am using the Crimson King RoW- I am going to be anti armor light so I was thinking 2 meltas and maybe a pfist? However this kind of hamstrings the special ammo does it not? Maybe 3 combimeltas and call it a day?

I dont have the exact list but it is something like this

Praetor w/Cataphractii Armor

5 Cataphractii Termies

5 Cataphractii Termies

8 Tartaros Termies

2x Quad Mortars

10 Marines with rotor cannons (I might pare it down to 7-8) obviously FW just sells in packs of 5

5 of the special scouts

2 of the robots

So my plan was to also include 2 squads of vets in rhinos as well.

Thanks!

Vets in rhinos are not sufficient AT for 30k. Your meltaguns or combimelta will be glancing Armoured Ceramite AV14 on 6s, you can give them Tank Hunter but you'll lose Marksman. The powerfist needs to get into melee, and they wont (10 3+ save models in a non-assault vehicle). Plus, if you are looking to give them Asphyx Rounds and BoP then that's a very expensive and very easily removed unit! You'd be better off taking some dedicated, proper anti-tank elsewhere in your army. Maybe cut out the rotor cannons and a vet squad for something that hits heavier - the rotor cannons look awesome but they are good at killing infantry, and the rest of your army has that in droves.

Glancing on 5's with Machine Killers and Meltaguns, they get +1 to penetrate now rather than the Tank Hunters rule. They're an excellent dedicated vehicle killing unit if you load them up with combi-meltas and meltaguns, one of the best in the game, but I do agree that a Rhino probably isn't ideal.

I will admit, alot of this 2500 pt list is being driven by models I think are cool and trying to come up with something that fits.

My plans are this

8 Tartaros will have 4 combiplasma (so not bad deep striking in and toss 8 shots out)

5 Cataphractii- I was planning on 3 combimelta

5 Cataphractii- I was planning on 3 combimelta

2x Quad Mortar 

Then the vets

Now factor this in, I was planning on choosing divination rather than the standard +1 invul save one. I see more utility in my list for the divination spells.

(I do like the rotor cannons as they are good at blowing up light armor- should net around 5 rends in a shooting phase with the ability to glance armor 10-12)

So-

Misfortune- the quad mortar shatter shells can break any armor out there with str 8 and rend, so can the combimeltas and even the Robots with their str 6 shots and high volume. The big question is whether I load up on more combiplasma as with a higher volume of shots I have a greater chance to rend. What do you think? 

Of course the spell that gives 4+ invul save is nice, it would benefit the Tartaros, the vets, quad mortars and the robots would love a 4+.

The spell that lets you reroll reserves- I have potentially 5 squads entering the board on turn 2 (3 terminator, 2 vets), ensuring they get on the board is important.

And of course prescience to reroll hits as I have a tendency to roll alot of 1's. 

Also levitation has a haywire effect spell correct? All the terminator squads have at least 1 chainfist in them as well.

Hi guys!

Hoping to get a bit of general advice.

Starting a new legion (still haven't decided between blood angels, thousand sons and space wolves for which to do first) and there is a tournament in may I was hoping to have a force done by.

Between a general desire and making use for what parts I have lying around, I was hoping to have a core thousand son force of 27 terminators and a praetor using guardians of the crimson King.

That's about 1200 to 1300 points give or take, I was just hoping to get some advice about how to fill the remaining chunk of points (2500 tournament)

I know the gaping hole in the list is basically anti tank, the sekhmet are resilient enough to Duke it out with infantry and I plan on loading up sufficient combi plasma to soften more elite units they may encounter.

As to what to fill the rest of the list with... I've got access to a lot of rhino hulls, a ton of infantry, rappers, bikes, a few land speeders, and potentially a malcador or two, and I'm no stranger to modest scratch builds or conversions.

That said, I do have a very tiny budget with which to play with.

I do like strong lists, but just in a well rounded sense. I want to have fun, and for my opponent to as well. Not intending to kerb stomp people.

Any help I can get will be appreciated!

Cheers!

Has anyone seen the FW response to some questions sent it- it seems the Sekhmet terminators do indeed have to roll for their powers, they do not get to choose. I had a feeling this was the case.

http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9661-forgeworld-answers-via-mail-about-inferno/&do=findComment&comment=180641

Has anyone seen the FW response to some questions sent it- it seems the Sekhmet terminators do indeed have to roll for their powers, they do not get to choose. I had a feeling this was the case.

http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9661-forgeworld-answers-via-mail-about-inferno/&do=findComment&comment=180641

I have exactly zero faith in FW's customer support team when it comes to rules. Depending on the level of humidity in Nottingham and the alignment of the stars you'll receive an answer. That often contradicts what the designers themselves have said. Or contradicts what FW's customer support has said.

If you thought the Eldar were bad, you've just never had to deal with FW's CS.

All of that to say these answers go into the garbage pile for me.

This same ruling gave them power fist lighting claw pair as a free upgrade over a force weapon. The person who answered these interpreted some and read others and really not useful.

There will be an FAQ hopefully soon but I honestly wouldn't use any of these as they go from game breaking to contradictory of previous faqs.

As much as the Sekhmet probably deserve a fix, these are almost definitely bunk. It sucks that we can't trust responses from regular e-mails, but that's the way it is. 

I remember when Zardu's rules came out with Tempest, e-mail responses confirmed he could pick his powers, and we still didn't quite trust those answers then, either. People went with it because RAW supported it too. Gorgons are definitely not standard Terminator armour. And the Deathshroud have also been confirmed by e-mail answers as being able to pick their armour (and are also clearly in Tartaros), so that's another mark for not trusting these at all. 

I have exactly zero faith in FW's customer support team when it comes to rules. Depending on the level of humidity in Nottingham and the alignment of the stars you'll receive an answer. That often contradicts what the designers themselves have said. Or contradicts what FW's customer support has said.

If you thought the Eldar were bad, you've just never had to deal with FW's CS.

All of that to say these answers go into the garbage pile for me.

I agree. There was a time I trusted them but that trust was lost years ago when I got one answer then a follow up email later with "Oh I actually asked the studio disregard the last email here's the actual answer." I got.

I love you FW, but you need to up your rules game.

That email is so bad I almost think it's bogus...

It's such I mess I'm inclined to agree. Sekhmet roll on the two worst tables, but unhittable magnus is fine? Suspicious.

As much as the Sekhmet probably deserve a fix, these are almost definitely bunk. It sucks that we can't trust responses from regular e-mails, but that's the way it is. 

I remember when Zardu's rules came out with Tempest, e-mail responses confirmed he could pick his powers, and we still didn't quite trust those answers then, either. People went with it because RAW supported it too. Gorgons are definitely not standard Terminator armour. And the Deathshroud have also been confirmed by e-mail answers as being able to pick their armour (and are also clearly in Tartaros), so that's another mark for not trusting these at all. 

+1

Well, the models for Deathshroud being in Tartaros is irrelevant. Their unit entry just states they have terminator armor, and the RAW lets terminator armor units without a specified variant pick which variant they have based on their equipment. You don't have to use Deathshroud models to represent Deathshroud. Gorgons have a specific type of terminator armor, so they don't get a choice.

I play RAW, so unless they have an official FAQ, the responses are irrelevant. That email is the worst thing I've read since the Adepticon "We all play Word Bearers" FAQ.  The only time I accept them is when they come from the design team, which usually happens only at FW Open events. Unfortunately there is no central repository of these answers, so those get disputed as well.

Edited by Withershadow

Ill say it again, even though I understand no one is going to hamstring their Sekhmet termies without some official documentation, but there is no way FW intended to have every Cataphractii terminator with levitate and every Tartaros Termie with Fire Shield.

Withershadow had said if FW rules you had to roll for powers he would simply take Legion termies with the ML1, to me that's a joke.

So 5 Legion termies with level 1 upgrade is 200 pts

5 Sekhmet termies are 255.

So for 55 pts you get

5 more wounds

+1 psychic level

a RoW which allows teleportation

5 pt combi weapons

Force Weapons

Easy access to +1 invul save (16% more resilient)

Rerolling 1's on initial deep strike (although legion termies dont have that ability)

Asphyx Shells

It really doesnt matter what spells the Sekhmet terminators get, they arent there to cast spells. They provide a mana battery for your Praetor or Ahriman or Magnus. Provided you take just 2 squads of them, you have 4 dice, plus 3 for your praetor, plus a reroll on psychic dice, so you would be generating on avg 10 dice a turn, thats pretty much 3 guaranteed spells a turn you can cast with the praetor. Additionally in a 1K Sons list you are probably going to have 2 ICs so the issue of having spells you dont like (or aren't useful wont be often).

Again, what we are failing to realize is a different writer is handling each faction in the book so that is why there are always issues with consistency in wording. For all we know as Black Orange states, the Cabana boy might have actually written the rules. We can't have it both ways, GW pushing material out every week and expecting that top writers are doing all their content, I wouldnt be surprised at all to find out there are new guys and less experienced guys writing stuff all the time. However, the rules have always been inconsistent and poorly written since the early 1990's when I first started, nothing has changed in that regard (even when they produced content every few months instead of every few weeks).

Me, I am going to go with the FAQ's, I wouldnt even say I am a good player, I just dont need the crutch of having my termies have levitation every game.

Again, what we are failing to realize is a different writer is handling each faction in the book so that is why there are always issues with consistency in wording. For all we know as Black Orange states, the Cabana boy might have actually written the rules. We can't have it both ways, GW pushing material out every week and expecting that top writers are doing all their content, I wouldnt be surprised at all to find out there are new guys and less experienced guys writing stuff all the time. However, the rules have always been inconsistent and poorly written since the early 1990's when I first started, nothing has changed in that regard (even when they produced content every few months instead of every few weeks).

The FW team is small enough that we actually have a good idea of who did what. That and they're pretty accessible at events, so, y'know, you could just ask who wrote what, or have someone ask for you if you can't make it. But the rules do tend to come down to Alan Bligh for the most part, and until recently Andy Hoare, before he started working on Adeptus Titanicus.

Were the various fluff sections of Inferno written by different authors? Yes. But also still by the same core writers that are involved with most FW stuff (so Alan Bligh, Neil Wylie, now John French and previously Andy Hoare). Again, FW is a small, tight team. Billy the Intern doesn't come in to the meeting room and start scrawling all over the whiteboard with his crazy ideas. There is no intern even submitting draft pages. It's a tiny team of people who are probably a little overworked between writing fluff and rules testing a complex system, and who probably need an editor. 

Ill say it again, even though I understand no one is going to hamstring their Sekhmet termies without some official documentation, but there is no way FW intended to have every Cataphractii terminator with levitate and every Tartaros Termie with Fire Shield.

Withershadow had said if FW rules you had to roll for powers he would simply take Legion termies with the ML1, to me that's a joke.

So 5 Legion termies with level 1 upgrade is 200 pts

5 Sekhmet termies are 255.

So for 55 pts you get

5 more wounds

+1 psychic level

a RoW which allows teleportation

5 pt combi weapons

Force Weapons

Easy access to +1 invul save (16% more resilient)

Rerolling 1's on initial deep strike (although legion termies dont have that ability)

Asphyx Shells

It really doesnt matter what spells the Sekhmet terminators get, they arent there to cast spells. They provide a mana battery for your Praetor or Ahriman or Magnus. Provided you take just 2 squads of them, you have 4 dice, plus 3 for your praetor, plus a reroll on psychic dice, so you would be generating on avg 10 dice a turn, thats pretty much 3 guaranteed spells a turn you can cast with the praetor. Additionally in a 1K Sons list you are probably going to have 2 ICs so the issue of having spells you dont like (or aren't useful wont be often).

Me, I am going to go with the FAQ's, I wouldnt even say I am a good player, I just dont need the crutch of having my termies have levitation every game.

Actually legion terminators do have access to the rerolling failed invulm saves of 1. People keep making the mistake that it is part of the Sekhmet rules, but it's part of the Guard of the Crimson King rite, and applies to all characters, Terminators and Magnus who deepstrike.

Also, Following the Email answers also means that Sekhmet have free access to running Lightning claw and powerfist together, getting 3 attacks base and getting to choose which attacks they want, which is honestly way more broken than choosing psychic powers from Telekinesis or Pyromancy, so it that is the trade off, it's a terrible one. because of "answers" like that I'm treating the emails as house rules to be ignored until a proper FAQ gets released, or until I myself get an email from FW telling me the same things.

But hey, sekhmet were already pretty weak, so obviously they needed the extra attack and getting to choose on the fly between lightning claws and powerfists lol.

Whither, those rules were written before Tartaros was a thing with it's own rules. 

Doesn't matter. They were reprinted in the Legiones book when the Tartaros rules were introduced. So rules as written, non-specified terminators can pick what variant they wear based on how you model them.  Pretty cut and dry, I think.

You seem miffed enough about Sekhmet to post this in multiple threads and pump your fists in victory, so, huh...

Well go with the FAQs if it makes you happy, just make sure to inform your opponent that their Magnus can be literally immortal and that they should be some Chaos Spawn kits to model their Sekhmet's three arms :D