Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Hi all,

the airbrush stages for the alpha legion infantry are finished! All that remains is endless detailing, without making any mistakes and ruining the base colours!

I'm starting with my choom squad, here's the first chap (still WIP):

gallery_87021_11487_250301.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_96978.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_815656.jpg

As always, C&C welcome!

Cadmus

Basing and detailing done, weathering to go....

gallery_87021_11487_152360.jpg

On a side note, anyone know where I could get my hands on some stripe/line decals (black/white) for helmet/pad stripes. I think it would look cleaner than painting them on!

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

• 2 weeks later...

Well you're going to get a more perfect line if you use decals, but here's the question... in your force, do the Astartes have the stripes applied via a machine when the armour is manufactured or is it applied by hand? Think about it.

Fair point. However, I Imagine the legion serfs using some form of masking, or having the skill to apply squad/mission markings. Also, the scale of the painting is different, the small defects seen when hand painting in reality would not be seen at the scale of 30k.

Secondly, this metallic scheme is very unforgiving, I can't touch up the base colour if I make a mistake due to the airbrush stages. With a decal, I can just remove it. I'll be adding weathering and some nuln oil wash in places so the White will hopefully blend a little more.

The attempt is to emulate this chaps markings:

gallery_87021_11487_156844.jpg

Appreciate the feedback dusk raider!

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Secondly, this metallic scheme is very unforgiving, I can't touch up the base colour if I make a mistake due to the airbrush stages. With a decal, I can just remove it. I'll be adding weathering and some nuln oil wash in places so the White will hopefully blend a little more.

I know that feel, bro... I cringe every time I need to paint my Word Bearers and nick the red.

I got bored of painting infantry so I started work on my B@C contemptor. Not too happy with the script and chain around his torso. Do you think it would look odd to do the script in silver? I just feel the bleached tone adds a different (and slightly unwanted) dimension to the torso:

gallery_87021_11487_477218.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_266944.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_183430.jpg

Still needs detailing, highlighting and weathering.

What do you think?

Cadmus

Excellent work all around on the Alpha Legion! The blue metallic colour you have managed to achieve is simply delightful, and from a design standpoint, those AL decals might just be the best FW Legion decals so far. Brilliant stuff!

Thanks mate, the metallic scheme is great but hard to photograph as the tone changes depending on the light source. I cannot praise FW enough for these decals. They are detailed and really high quality which makes using micro sol easy.

Excellent conversion for that Contemptor!

Love this pose now

Thanks monolith - it's been a bit of a challenge to adapt the B@C contemptor, but it works!

Kyren Thialos

gallery_87021_11487_85058.jpg

Kyren Thialos was voluntarily interred within the sarcophagus of a contemptor pattern dreadnought to accomplish a masterful feat of deception.

During the Diasporex engagement Kyren was installed within the damaged Iron Hand contemptor pattern chasis "ferrum domitar", his bio-output signals adjusted to that of the contemptors late occupant. "Ferrum domitar" was later recovered and restored by the Xth legion techmarines, it's XXth legion occupant went unnoticed. A remarkable feat of genius given the Xth legions predilection for the technological.

Kyren was reunited with the Xth legion flag ship "Fist of Iron" 4 years prior to the Istvaan V atrocity. Digital records recovered from the "Fist of Iron" reveal Kyren was part of the rotational ship bridge guard, usually formed of two contemptor dreadnoughts.

During the events of Istvaan V, Kyren was transferred to the strike cruiser "Ferrum" and assigned to the first wave of the assault alongside Ferrus Manus. When Horus' treacherous plan was revealed, Kyren directed multiple Alpha legion headhunter kill teams to their targets using strategically positioned teleport homers and essential real time target priority information.

Kyren escaped the massacre unharmed and served within the XXth legion ranks for several years before being eliminated by the specially tasked iron hands kill team "Iron remorse". Pict captures show Kyren in his true legion colours immediately prior to his assassination at the hands of the Xth legion.....

gallery_87021_11487_380511.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_785637.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_335734.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_136462.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_278990.jpg

C&C welcome

Cadmus