Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

Well, warhammer world was an awesome experience on Friday, great to see the displays and have a game against my bro's orks!

gallery_87021_11487_1418152.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_872718.jpg

The XXth got some reinforcements too! I decided to go with what looked good rather than the most competitive choices, (couldn't face the rapiers, the Lightning was a little underwhelming) a sicaran venator and a leviathan dreadnought :). Love the look of the leviathan (a great model in the flesh, photos don't do it justice) and I needed to get a sicaran variant, the venator seems better against heavier armour. Plus, I love the entry in book six about the alpha legion using them extensively in ambush at point blank range.

I've been looking at ways of covering the sponson holes, found some old side armour plates from a second edition vindicator:

gallery_87021_11487_664926.jpg

Still needs a bit of clean up work, what do you think? Would you exchange the panel with the tools for the imperial eagle? Would you keep the battle damage?

Cadmus

Thanks wing commander, yeah I thing the tool panel gives it a little more interesting detail. The entry in book six talks about how alpha legion tank crews were trained to repair the temperamental tank, so it fits. Not sure why you would keep your tools exposed outside the tank though....Also, the wrench seems a little undersized for the task....

Think I will try filling the damage, I can't face putting bullet holes into my nice new tank!

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Those Vindicator plates are a really natural fit on the Venator, they look like they were meant to be there. Colours are great too.

Thanks, yeah the plates work surprisingly well, I knew I bought them for a reason. It's amazing how the colour changes depending on the light source. I found the key to glazing with Tamiya clear paints is to go slow at really low pressures. Hopefully I can start detailing soon!

Ok Ladies and Gents, minor update and I need some opinions!

I've blue glazed the tank and I'm starting decal work:

gallery_87021_11487_767347.jpg

Question 1 - does the alpha/omega symbol look too large under the script?

(The decal is drying so quick opinions please!!!)

Question 2 - I'm thinking of painting the lower set panels (Ie the one in front of the hydra symbol) silver to break up the teal a little, any thoughts?

Input appreciated!

Cadmus

First off, don't think the alpha omega looks out of place at all. Looks very good! Weathering wouldn't go amiss to break it up though, it's quite stark.

Dark silver wouldn't look bad, but I always quite liked black with alpha legion. I used it for my bolter cases, and planned to for vehicle doors etc.

I think it goes especially well with the bright schemes like yours. Plus, it will help the metallics for the guns show up quite well.

First off, don't think the alpha omega looks out of place at all. Looks very good! Weathering wouldn't go amiss to break it up though, it's quite stark.

Dark silver wouldn't look bad, but I always quite liked black with alpha legion. I used it for my bolter cases, and planned to for vehicle doors etc.

I think it goes especially well with the bright schemes like yours. Plus, it will help the metallics for the guns show up quite well.

Yeah, black might work. I will have to base coat it in primer before anyway, so I could gauge the effect. I was thinking a darker silver, lead belcher with a standard black wash over the top.

I agree the weathering will help a lot, do not fear, I will be paying close attention to he weathering!

I caved and went for the smaller symbol before the decal dried! Lol

gallery_87021_11487_378402.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_185968.jpg

Transfer looks so cool. Nice work. I second the black or silver for that inside plate, think that would break up the blue nicely.

Thanks Inquisitor! It was worth the effort in the end, just a few more layers of micro sol magic to get it blending with the surface.

I would do black rather than silver. It would be a nice contrast.

I'll see how it looks with just the black primer over the inlay. I did my caliver team with black pads, they looked a little bland compared to the rest of the model. It would certainly give contrast, but perhaps a little too much?

No. Black. NOW.

Seriously, I think if done correctly, black will look great. Especially because it shows wear and damage much better.

He he, I have painted a lot of black recently, I've found brown weathering powders work well ove silver chipping. Decisions decisions!

Anyone have the time/inclination to photoshop the options? I'm without a computer at the moment!

Black 100 % awesome with this scheme. I started doing it towards the end of my AL run and loved it. It'll look great with your guys

That's the one!

Stick with it, you've got the winning formula there with that scheme.

Cheers guys, black it is then!

Edited by Cadmus Tyro