Cadmus Tyro Xth and XXth blog: Terror Squad

Cadmus Tyro

gallery_87021_11487_161049.jpg

Praevian Gohran Leyrr rebooted the Castellax internal cogitators for the fifty-first time. He had spent the last few months attempting to diagnose the reoccurring fault in castellax maniple 32 delta, without success. Maniple 32 delta was exhibiting overly aggressive battlefield behaviour, something which the praevian had struggled to hold in check over the last two engagements.

The castellax slowly awoke from its cold slumber, becoming aware of the praevian standing under the service gantry.

"Rank and designation" demanded Gohran.

"32nd castellax maniple, designation 32 delta, 9th castellax, assigned to the Xth legion, clan Vurgaan, in submission to Praevian Gohran Leyrr" echoed the hollow monotone response from the castellax's vox unit. The static from the vox unit continued to crackle with interference.

"Good, we have made some progre....." Gohran's self adulation was cut short by a short blurt of musically discordant binary. A phrase which was repeated every 20-30 seconds through the vox system, a phrase which Gohran had heard countless times over the last few months:

"The father of iron has fallen, we must must avenge the Omnissiah's chosen"

"Explain that statement castellax" Ghoran replied without any expectation of a response, rubbing his aching temple, gaze fixed on the decking floor in resignation.

"The father of iron has fallen, we must avenge his legion, we are his chosen sons" replied the castellax, in cold monotone high gothic.

Ghoran had not expected that response, usually the binary code just continued to cycle. "Who is the father of iron castellax?" Responded the praevian.

Static, and silence. The robot seemed to be processing the question, it's skull and bionic head turned to Gohran. He could almost see the look of bewilderment etched into the fleshless face.

"The father of iron has fallen, we must must avenge the Omnissiah's chosen". The code continued to cycle just as it had done in response to all those other questions asked in the last month.

"For the love of Terra!" cursed Ghoran slamming his fist into the gantry in frustration. "32 delta, shutdown all cognitive operations". The castellax went limp, it's focus leaving the praevian, staring lifelessly ahead.

The vox bead in Gohrans helmet bleeped, signalling an incoming ship wide vox transmission.

"The Ferrum is approaching Istvaan 5 orbit, planetary defences have been countered, all forces must proceed to their designated drop transports immediately, count down to drop T-minus 1 minute".

Gohran stepped into the storm bird hold to join his Castellax maniple, pressing the activation stud to close the assault ramp. There was doubt about 32 delta's operational status, had this been a civilian operation perhaps he would have insisted the maniple was not deployed. Against the traitors waiting on the black sands, the units heightened aggression would be a welcomed flaw....

gallery_87021_11487_15859.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_228107.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_75528.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_160661.jpg

C&CS welcome

Cadmus

The bronze looks a bit flat and could do with some highlights to "pop" a bit more. Otherwise, looking good. I liked the fluff tidbit. :tu:

Thanks bud, yeah it does seem a little flat in artificial light, it's washed over with army painter strong tone which tends to give mute the metallic shine of the original paint. The issue I've found, during experimenting with the colour, is its either really bright metallic or flat because of the wash, with very little in between. There are highlights but I have tried to keep them subtle, I think in reality the metallic nature of the paint shines through a little more than the pictures suggest.

Cheers for the input! :)

I figured that it was probably a picture-related issue but then again it's always best to mention things, just in case. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what's next (what is next?)!

I appreciate the comments mate, it keeps me posting! I have a Mk1 rhino and another iron hands tactical squad to rebase. Then my 1500pts is complete and ready for the warhammer world trip, just a friendly game against my bro. I'll post some army picks and the list at some point.

After that, I have a few alpha legionnaires to paint!

Evening all, thought I would put some WIP pictures of my first alpha veteran tactical squad. One guess as to which veteran tactic they use:

gallery_87021_11487_49901.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_257464.jpg

gallery_87021_11487_16952.jpg

The force is in dire need of some anti tank, I was thinking of some quad mortars as they fit the MK4 asthetic, and will benefit from mutable tactics and Alpharius. I could make 430pts worth of room in my current list (1500pts). I would welcome any suggestions?

C&Cs welcome!

Cadmus

Obvious Tank Hunters :P

Looking spectacular!

Thanks Pheidias :), yes, perhaps the most inefficient machine killers ever...

Any thoughts on the adding some anti-tank? I was thinking the following:

1) Grav rapiers - benefit from alpha shenanigans, but crew models don't look great.

2) quad mortars - nicer kit, but I can see them struggling with av14.

3) podding leviathan - I need one of these, but can't decide whether it would fit with the Xth better. Plus 430 points in 1500 point game is a big investment! It would look good in alpha colours though.

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

A lascannon heavy support team is pretty fragile, my volkite caliver team evaporates if I don't get first turn, or cause enough distraction with other units. I fear the lascannon team will draw more fire.

The Mk3 crew are what puts me off the Grav cannons, I struggle to justify spending £90 on them and having to fund additional crew.

Are Kraken lightnings still popular?

Vets with combi meltas? Very handy in a pod, or with other alpha deployment shenanigans.

For light anti tank, grabbing a rhino with multi melta for each squad may be a handy idea.

Lightnings are brutal for anti tank too!

What else is in the list?

And onto more important matters- stunning work as always on the recent minis. Love the vet squad!

Edited by Robzilla

Vets with combi meltas? Very handy in a pod, or with other alpha deployment shenanigans.

For light anti tank, grabbing a rhino with multi melta for each squad may be a handy idea.

And onto more important matters- stunning work as always on the recent minis. Love the vet squad!

Thanks for the encouragement :)

The boost to vets with machine killer is great, I already have a squad of them, they still struggle against AV14 unfortunately. The list I have so far is pretty much the BaC box, I'm wanting to add some more FW resin to the list. Perhaps if I list it might help?

Delagatus consul, power weapon 80 (chosen duty)

Veteran squad x 4 combi meltas x 2 melta guns, thunder hammer - 250

Veteran squad x2 plasma guns, power glove - 205

Veteran squad x2 heavy bolters - 200

Tactical support squad x8, calivers 185

Cataphractti terminator squad x5 combi plasmas, x4 power gloves, chain fist - 240

So there should be 340 points to play with, I'm not precious about the caliver squad, so that opens up a few more potential points. What would you fit in there?

Thanks for the encouragement :)

The boost to vets with machine killer is great, I already have a squad of them, they still struggle against AV14 unfortunately. The list I have so far is pretty much the BaC box, I'm wanting to add some more FW resin to the list. Perhaps if I list it might help?

Delagatus consul, power weapon 80 (chosen duty)

Veteran squad x 4 combi meltas x 2 melta guns, thunder hammer - 250

Veteran squad x2 plasma guns, power glove - 205

Veteran squad x2 heavy bolters - 200

Tactical support squad x8, calivers 185

Cataphractti terminator squad x5 combi plasmas, x4 power gloves, chain fist - 240

So there should be 340 points to play with, I'm not precious about the caliver squad, so that opens up a few more potential points. What would you fit in there?

Personally, as you suggested initially the lightning is definitely a solid option for anti tank. I like the additional bolt on of the rad missiles. Bit of a gamble, but adds utility if it survives that long.

Plus, as it's so cheap it gives you room for some other additions.

I can't sing the praises of grav land speeders (with multimeltas) enough. Very mean for their points, and helps with your anti tank.

Also, the whirlwind Scorpius. Very handy at helping out with infantry, and even mid armour tanks. Excellent utility piece.

Yeah the Lightning seems like an interesting choice, I was just looking through my updated LACAL book and it looks like it has lost the "missile barrage" rule. Does that make it too much of a gamble? I mean you are relying on it to arrive on time and then trusting two missiles to put down its target. Would the sicaran venator be a better investment? You are getting shots off turn one on a sturdier chassis.

I agree about the Scorpius, it is a very points efficient unit, I was thinking of including this with a squad of quad mortars, might not have any friends left at the end of the game though .

Grav speeders sound interesting. Again they seem a little fragile, and you would need six to put down a spartan, or die to return fire. But they would create a great modelling challenge.

Scorpius and Quad Mortars are plain nasty, had my first game against an Iron Warriors Ironfire list, with Phosphex-mortars and the Scorpius making exceptionally short work of all my bikers...

The Lightning would suit the Alphas, as I see them as the most "modern" Legion, using close airsupport and all the tactical flexibility of a more modern approach to warfare than many of the other Legions who just seem to pile in and bash stuff 'till it stops resisting.

True regarding the speeders. They are somewhat a gambit, but their damage ratio to their points is horrific. Not much takes out a spartan efficiently, and whilst speeders are fragility, they do make excellent mopping up units.

I like to use them in areas where there are too many other high priority targets to focus on.

If it's a 14th hunting you are after I'm loathe to suggest a siccarian. As good as they are, if it misses, or if you don't get first turn, it will be target number 1. At least the Scorpius can kind of hide.

The quad mortars and the Scorpius are definitely a good combo, especially in higher point games where you can combine in a serge breaker for phosphex too. It's just doesn't immediately solve the problem. Vs av14/15 now.

Have you considered a cortus in a dreadclaw? It's a bit on the nose, but it's a good way of getting chain fists into Melee reliably, and grav in the close combat weapon arms can't hurt either.

Or even just a duo or trio of cortus on foot? Dual grav and chain fists will end armour, and the dreads are reasonably resilient.

Off hand...

Cortus with chainfist, 2x grav guns. 175

Cortus with chainfist, 2x grav guns. 175

Total 350

This gives 175 points if dropping the caliver squad.

Plenty of options open....could go for Scorpius and fluff up the vets (combi Plasma, or just some power weapons in one of the squads)

Could pick up a fortification, to help with the lack of transports.

The speeder option is still viable at this stage, could pick up two speeders and still have a few points spare,

Could also go for a pair of rapier grav cannons, or shatter shell quad mortars, or a trio of laser destroyers.

Lots of options really!

Indeed! Too many cool options to choose from, I'm suffering from martial hubris just trying to decide!

How about this:

Autilon Skorr 125

Veteran squad x4 combi meltas, x2 melta guns, thunder hammer, rhino (Multimelta, HK missile) 285

Veteran squad x2 heavy bolters, nuncio vox, power dagger 215

Veteran squad x2 plasma guns, power glover 205

Terminator squad x5 combi plasmas, 4 power gloves, chainfist 240

Quad launchers x3 210

Lightning, battle servitor, x4 kraken missiles 220

Mutable tactic: infiltrate

Warlord trait: strategic genius.

Well, the comms officers are useless if you don't have artillery or deepstrikers if I recall correctly as opposed to rerolling leadership tests on marines without And they shall know no fear, but other than that I've not played a single game of Horus Heresy so I can't advise you.

Seeing how prideful the Alpha Legion is, I can see them strutting a standard about after they successfully outflanked you and started killing all your guys.

Well, the comms officers are useless if you don't have artillery or deepstrikers if I recall correctly as opposed to rerolling leadership tests on marines without And they shall know no fear, but other than that I've not played a single game of Horus Heresy so I can't advise you.

Seeing how prideful the Alpha Legion is, I can see them strutting a standard about after they successfully outflanked you and started killing all your guys.

I like that idea to justify the vexilla! Game wise I prefer to save the points on small units. I see the veteran squads as having a set role, when performed, they can die. The army really doesn't have a solid gun line in the standard sense of legion warfare. The nuncio conversion is for show at the moment, I have been proxying a Scorpius in a few games, and it comes in handy then. I'm also thinking about getting a lightening, which can deep strike. So it adds a little more utility to the list.

I'm by no means an expert in heresy gaming either! Hence all the questions.

Final post for the Xth, I've finally finished my 1500pts and can now get into painting alpha legionaries.

The list is geared towards fighting Orks.

Delagatus - tartaros armour. Head of the Gorgon

Tactical squad, rhino 160

Tactical squad, land raider proteus 305

Tactical support squad, flamers, additional combat weapons, power glove 125

Castellax x2, x2 flamers 220

Cortus contemptor x 2 Grav guns 165

Spartan assault tank 305

Vindicator 120

gallery_87021_11487_104636.jpg

The Xth march on Nottingham....