SW1's Wolves

SW1

Just had a bit of bad luck with illness the last year or two.

Must be tricky balancing going backwards and forwards to the rig.

Looking forward to seeing those vehicles finished. :p ;)

Arse ... I've ran out of Vallejo grey paint. There's no GWS paint that is a close enough match to just crack on.

Looks like I'll have to try heading into work early to make an hours detour to the model shop this afternoon.

Managed to squeeze in the trip to elementgames bricks and mortar store. Now I need to get my backside to work so I'm not late.

Picked up several bottles of paint and found there was a name change with the German Grey now being named Anthracite Grey. I also decided to treat the airbrush to some SuperLube. ;)

This morning I've also managed to clean up the edging of the bases I've painted up and now have 5 out of the 15 glued to bases and finished. :D

I've pulled out the moulds for my 32mm and TDA sized bases (50mm?) with the double tread I'll be using for all the army.

I've also prepped 3 dread sized bases and possibly accidentally purchased the SW dread kit for bits. Since they seem to have recently improved with the errata update. :p

Best comment from work. Call that a big bottle of lube I buy it in a 2 litre bottle!!!

Turns out the young tattoo'd lass who keeps to herself is a tattoo artist and there's a definate crossover in maintenance equipment/materials between airbrushes and tattoo equipment. :)

Lol ... I've been getting lectures about keeping my equipment clean and maintained.

Hahaha... Very good! And yes, you would be surprised how much cross-over there would be. A tattoo artist eh? I tend to get a lot of my designs from tattoos, maybe she could do some cool celtic/ norse knotwork designs for making into stencils?

After messing around with the chemicals I have for casting I've found I can make the old resin cure if I heat up the moulds first. So I'm going to crack on with using up the stuff I have left producing bases. :)

So I've ended up with 24x 40mm bases and 75x 32mm bases out of a batch of resin I'd written off. Rather glad I took the time to see if I could rescue it. I was considering not basing up the rest of the ETL vows but now they'll all have the bases I wanted off the bat. :p

I'm hoping this should see me through to the end of the ETL. But just incase it doesn't I'll be ordering some more at the end of July.

Out of curiosity, are you the guy who is/was making a 3d space hulk style board for gaming with his brother?

I take it from above the bases are industrial/ chequerboard style?

Yeah ... Mikes getting a board built very slowly. It's been put on hold while the ETL is under was but it will continue in August/September.

The red bases will match the main texture on the boards.

The run of good luck seems to be continuing. The airbrush has been fixed and I should have the bulk of the vow basecoated much sooner than it was going to be by hand!!! :D

My brothers come over to my place today so we should see some forward momentum on his vow as well. :tu:

Well I've got the lot basecoated!!!

Here's where the entire vow is currently at ...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/186335-image/

(Will edit pic in rather than link later)

I'm going to need some serious drybrushing time to get through that lot. Though having got one stage out of the way I'm motivated to get the next stage out of the way. ;)

Looking good, What about spraying the lighter grey at a steeper angle and then a very gentle spray from directly above with your lightest shade?

Might help give good shadow effect for highlighting.

I'll probably try that with the vehicles. Gonna stick to the tried and tested method for the troops until I get more confident with the airbrush.

I've only just worked out that you can put a maximum limit to the amount of paint going through it by the screw bit at the back of the brush. Every so often I was slipping with the trigger and putting more paint down than I was wanting.

Also learning to listen to the noise the paint makes while it's firing out of the brush. A slightly pulsing spluttering sound is likely to denote a need to give the nose a quick clean. I've not had it clog up on me since I've been doing this.

It's a lot like learning how to use a brush. Holding at different angles having more or less paint loaded on the brush (or going through it with the airbrush).

Given enough time I should have it worked out.

Lol ... Sort of wishing I'd started playing with it on a different army now before the ETL.

You'll get there fella.

I am more or less in the same boat as you.

Making the most of the time with youtube etc, or just going with trial and error.

Sometimes you have happy mistakes :D

It did work quite well for me on my vehicles. Although I would recommend pre-shading.

The planned finish day for this vow may get knocked back a bit. Normally is squeeze in a few hours after work as a way of unwinding but just not had the chance.

This morning I did manage to grab a quick 30 mins before getting the kids up and then the joy that's school run and then work. If I carry on at this rate I'm unlikely to get another 3,000 point vow squeezed in.

Lol ... I guess concentrating on just getting this sorted and forget worrying about what I might or might not do is in order.

Following the painting process I worked out on the first vow everything has had the flat dark grey spray and then a light drybrush of dawnstone (this doesn't really show with the final paint job but helps me see where details are and also reinforce where the shading will be for the recesses). I'm now working through picking out all the metal parts on everything. After I get the metal on 10-15 models I apply my black wash all over.

Last night saw me getting half the remaining jump packs and 20ish models up to this point.

So overall I'm not actually completing models yet but they're all heading towards being painted all at the same time.

Finally managed to buy a daylight bulb for the lamp I have for my painting space. It makes so much of a difference and doesn't strain my eyes as much!!! :D

Well I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get my brother up and over to mine but he's not shifting. So this week there won't be any forward momentum on his model. :(

My models have had a fair bit of work done on them and I'm happy with the progress I've made. Looks like I'll be able to do some more on them this afternoon so I'll stick up a progress shot later. :D

Sorry to hear that your bro is having a bad day.

Hope you are doing good though.. Look forward to the progress. I am slowly but surely getting stencil ideas up for my tanks.

Archived