Pyroclast91's Forge = Salamanders Primaris and Death Guard

Small update tonight as I spent more time watching G.O.T than I did actually working apparently listening to audio books is more productive.

20160814_011138.jpgupload pictures free

Everything is finally primed at least. And I also managed to sculpt the cog onto the left shoulder pad.

20160814_011237.jpguploading pictures after all that I pinned the knees, dry brushed the inside of the outer halves of the body, and dry brushed the first layer of lead belcher on to the storm cannon , volkites, and heavy flamers. Tomorrow I plan too magnetize the waist and it's all paint from there. I can't explain how tempted I was to enter this in the ETL today but I know myself and this fella ain't gonna be done by Monday. So that's all for tonight thanks for looking at my work any C&C is always appreciated.

It's been a very busy evening in ye' old pyroclasts forge lemme start this with a bit of fluff I've been working on for this guy. If your not into character building pieces the pics are at the bottom if you do read through though I'd love to hear what you think

-----Ra'gar----

He knew it was over when he heard the sound of his volkite charger dry fire. Time seemed to slow to a crawl Ra'gar watched as the Palatine Blade swordsman swung his glittering sabre in a wide overhead arc. There was just enough time for Ra'gar to bring his now useless volkite charger up to block the blow. The weapon in Ra'gars hand split before the blade as if it were as inconsequential as air, the saber struck Ra'gar in the side of his reinforced gorget sinking through ceramite and into Ra'gars shoulder. In one fluid motion the swordsman pulled the blade free sawing the rest of the way through Ra'gars arm. He staggered losing blood faster than even his post human physiology could staunch. Ra'gar dropped to his knees and collapsed. The edges of his vision began to blur as the swordsman kicked him over onto his back, the swordsman spun his sabre in his hands, and reversing his grip he raised the sword to deliver the killing stroke. Suddenly a meter of energised adamantium burst through the swordsmans abdomen he looked down at the blade as if the power sword had no rite to violate his armor in this way. The thought amused Ra'gar as he watched the swordsman  split in two. Then everything went black. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't recall his rescuer.

The apothicaries and tech marines told him it was a salamander that had rescued him, apparently dragging what was left of Ra'gar over 5 kilometers to a   XIXth legion storm eagle that managed to ruin the gauntlet and make it free of the Istvaan system. Some day he told himself, he would find this warrior and thank him.

Many of Ra'gars brothers, his new brothers; the iron clad brothers, resented becoming dreadnoughts. This was not so for Ra'gar, to him it was a gift, one which he would use to crush the traitors he once called brothers. It was also a great honour to be interred in his Dreadnought sarcophagus, even more so than usual for it was not a Dreadnought that belonged to the Xth legion and he wasn't on Medusa. It spoke a great deal of his reputation and relationship with the sons of Nocturne; that they would inter him in a Dreadnought from there legions armoury was unheard of.

They called the Dreadnought 'Iron Fury', its original occupant was forcefully removed by one of Lorgars daemon engines. It was a Leviathan pattern Dreadnought one of the most brutal machines in the arsenals of the Legions Astartes. On the black sands of Istvaan Ra'gar watched a Leviathan take the legs out from under one of the traitors knights. The Leviathan tore the knights pilot out just in time to be circled and cut down by three of the knights comrades. The memory of watching the Dreadnought be circled and brought low made Ra'gars blood boil. Ra'gar would have revenge not just for himself or his legion, or for his brothers in the XVIIIth and XIXth legions. He would make the traitors pay in blood for the oaths they'd broken.

His chamber was quiet it was a welcome change from the hall of the ancients where warriors that should be dead are interred and permitted to continue their duty. Many of the other dreadnoughts were not as fortunate as Ra'gar and the pain of their bonding writhe their new bodies was agonizing. The hall had borne witness to their screams for months now. Ra'gar was created and deemed fit for battle after only a week, some took months, others didn't survive at all. Ra'gars arming chamber wasn't very large, it didn't need to be, there was just enough space for a tech marine to be able to circle him. The walls were made of ceramite and Rockrete. They had to be strong enough to contain there occupant in the event of an emergency. It wasn't uncommon for dreadnoughts to break out in uncontrollable fits of rage, this was more common in the older dreadnoughts which is why they were allowed to hibernate in stasis. The sound of the mechanical locks opening broke Ra'gars introspection, after the locks was the sound of hydraulic rams bleeding off pressure.

Like I said character building piece any thoughts?

As I promised the pictures

20160814_204551.jpgpost image

I started out with a "little" dry brushing ok so maybe more than a little it's like all I see is leadbelcher. But I started listening to the Seventh Serpent if you're familiar it's about a ragtag gang of primarily Iron Hands, and one or two salamanders and so far one raven guard. Who are hunting Alpharius this turned out too be much more productive than G.O.T. go figure but really though it got those iron hands juices? Err... hydraulic fluid maybe? Flowing and this happened.

20160814_231035.jpguploadimage

That's rite I jumped on the red on right Istvaan survivors band wagon it's just too prefect. And when I go back across the rest of my force I think it'll really help keep it unified beyond just similar bases. Here's a shot of the Ra'gar with the as of yet not named Praetor McGravHanderson and Venerable brother Turok III.

20160814_231110.jpgimage upload free

Still a lot of detail work to be done but I'm immensely happy with him so far. I'd love too hear what you think C&C is always appreciated.

Got started last night on the first round of washes on the armour and I had to redo the white shoulder because I have big dumb dirty fingers that touch stuff.

20160815_233614.jpgupload image online

And I'll probably have to redo it again once I find it I sorta dropped it on the ground like an idiot and couldn't find it before I had to leave for work. Anyhow I think I'm getting this IH scheme down at least to a degree I'm happy with.

20160815_233716.jpgphoto sharing websites

I should have taken more actual in progress shots but I used biel tan and basically did random stripes across the entire model.then did the same with druchii violet. Blended them around and wiped off the excess then did an all over wash of seraphim sepia.

20160816_050245.jpgphotos upload

I did the same on the legs

20160816_050507.jpgscreen capture tool

From here I'll do a couple light washes in areas to bring out the green and violet then hit the whole thing with gloss nuln then drybrush some highlights and the armour will be complete.

20160815_233730.jpgwindows print screen I also did a little work on the base while my washes were drying. C&C as always greatly appreciated

It's crazy to me how much my speed has increased since setting up my garage. If I would have moved in earlier in the ETL I probably could have put some big numbers up. Perhaps next year I'll max out my vows :D this pic shows way I've accomplished in just over a week.

20160817_071850.jpg

Now this might not seem like a huge deal but if you've followed this thread you'll understand just what a change that is. Which is good because my dreams of becoming a commission painter aren't gonna pan out doing 10 marines in 2 months lol.

20160816_225015.jpgupload image online

My IH recipe is still somewhat WIP but I think it's coming along pretty well. The only things left on the armour are highlights and a light round of drybrushing with my mix of graphite and runefang silver then it's on to the fun detail work.

20160816_225018.jpgimage posting

20160816_225007.jpghttps://postimage.org/]image hosting free no registration

Besides the drybrushing still left to do is some freehanding, some edge highlights, eye lenses, hoses and cables, chest grill, detailing storm cannon, detailing siege drill, detail phosphex. Followed by base details and finished off with a matte finish clear coat. Thanks for checking out my work C&C always appreciated

Edited by Pyroclast91

Thanks Vairocanum I can't believe I never thought to try that!! Typically I just paint red and go over it with blood for the blood god but I bet I could sell a much better fleshy look with a slightly different glossy tone under the blood. Plus I bet that's handy for just about anything you want to make look wet huh? BRILLIANT!!!

So much drybrushing... Tedious but oh so worth it. It was a fairly busy nite so I didn't get in quite as much time as usual. However I did decide on a color for helmet.Then I painted up the little grill in the middle of the chest, And then I started working on the CHOOOOM which I'm pretty excited about since this is my first model with actual volkite (not the plasma guns I used to make a kitbash IH tac support squad) that means I can join the Martian Death Ray Club rite? Anywho pictures>>>>>>>

20160817_223729.jpgclick image upload

20160817_223831.jpgfree screen capture

BTW if it looks like the pose is different in every picture it's because he's currently held together with a ton of magnets which I'm beginning to realize are mostly too small :( Meaning I'll end up making the joints permanent and the time magnetizing a lot of those joints was a waste besides learning what magnets not too use. Also here's a challenge for you can you tell what I snapped off and had to epoxy back on if not I covered it alright ;)

20160817_230600.jpgimages hosting

thanks for checking out my plummet into madness errr.... My "projects" C&C is always appreciated.

Edited by Pyroclast91

Once again stayed up far later than is probably intelligent for someone who has to work in 7 hours but MUST.... PAINT... RESIN... CRACK JUST ONE MORE COAT THAT'S IT REALLY I SWEAR.....4 HOURS LATER

20160818_235346.jpgpic hosting

20160818_235357.jpgupload photos

20160819_021438.jpgupload photo

And.... After reviewing these photos them there storm cannon are crooked as a dogs hind legs.... :( looks like I'll probably be repainting those after they take a hot bath.

20160819_021632.jpgupload an image

I've been toying around with the pose quite a bit and I think it's gonna stay something like the above picture with Ra'gar looking like he's about to smear that shmuck in purple across the concrete with his siege drill. Anywho still quite a few little details to pick out but IMHO the fiddly little details are the best part and the difference between a model I'm happy with and I model I'll show off. I'd love to hear what you think thanks for stopping by. Hopefully some BIG thing will be coming this weekend. Maybe.... If I ever get motivation to finish the beast.

This morning before I left for work I was looking at KrautScientists eternal hunt. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/284419-khornes-eternal-hunt-krautscientists-chaotic-wip-thread/

if you haven't you should. But honestly though his work is epic and has been a huge source of inspiration for me. I was looking at his Angron conversion which has got to be in my top 5 favorite models of all time list. And I thought to myself " I don't have any models that are actively killing an enemy" then I looked at my little purple corpse and then this happened.

20160819_061151.jpghow to do a screenshot on a pc

20160819_061228.jpghow to use print screen

Even if I will eventually glue over them making them pointless it's so nice having the joints magnetized. And I've learned my lesson and will be ordering some much larger magnets tonight. Along with a few of those silicone color shapers I keep reading so much about. Anywho I can't decide what I should do with the pose, I think it looks pretty good with Ra'gar about to crush the EC legionaire, but I think it looks pretty good with him on the ground as well. Ahhh the choices we must make. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have involving the pose? Or anything else for that matter

@ Black Cohort- thanks brother I'm glad you like him. It's been one of the most rewarding models I've built/painted in... Well ever really if you haven't already I would definitely recommend picking up at least one.

@Jimbo13- thank you it was super easy to do and I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out as well. In fact my next Leviathan will be a son of the XVIII And Im thinking about doing the same on his claw. But I'm still undecided as of course there will be flames and with the size of flames that will probably be on the armour I don't want the claw to get lost in all of it so we'll see.

@Our_Baz lol thanks brother I think so too it made him seem much more dynamic to me. And no worries more salamanders are coming soon and I've been thinking where Ra'gar is a fairly new Leviathan. I'm thinking the next one is going to be from the first batch to come from terra meaning they will have had plenty of time too decorate ;) more on that later though.

I got quite a bit done done tonight including straightening and repainting storm cannon barrels. Painting the little lenses on the front of the armour carapace. Doing several various washes and re doing the siege drill. And let me say I FREAKING LOVE Sycorax Bronze and Stormhost Silver gw's new paints are really on point.

20160821_001159.jpgphotoupload

20160821_001239.jpgfree screenshot software

20160821_001253.jpgscreen capture tool

Rapidly approaching that point where I don't know what else to do meaning he's almost complete until I work my fluff out and figure out a unifying symbol for my force to paint on everybody's shoulder. Any suggestions would be awesome thanks for checking out my work C&C is always appreciated.

Oh my lord Pyro is that an amazing dread. Totally epic, great paint job and love that he's grinding up a heretic. Only would be slightly better if it was in green, but the Xth has gotta get some love too. keep up the awesome work

@ bluntblade -you mean the not so well known centurion the Master of Confections? Lol

@bluebelly -thanks brother you are far too kind I'm glad you like what I've done with him it's a great feeling when I project turns out as well as it seemed it would on paper.

@vairocanum - I'm glad you appreciate what I've done with the levi. The red I've done started with couple a thinned layers of GWs Mephiston red over a black base, followed by a highlight of VGCs Bloody Red, then glaze with Bloodletter and wash to taste I used Agrax Earthshade because I like the dark well used appearance it gives then I final light re highlight. It's time consuming but I like it I hope that helps

20160821_161427.jpgimg host

Also the knee pad hasn't had it's final wash and highlight if you want the color before all that

Edited by Pyroclast91

YAY!!!! Leviathan completed at least completed until I do some more work on my fluff and figure out some insignias.

20160821_224058.jpgfree upload

And Ra'gar takes his place amongst the ranks of his painted brothers fighting back the monstrous horde of half painted abominations.

20160821_225448.jpgupload photo

I almost have enough to field an army (I won't play a grey army I refuse too and nobody's gonna make me) anywho :D what's next for the pyroclast? I've mentioned lots of projects recently and probably the highlight of my weekend was finishing Ra'gar and getting to pick what's next. Well good news for those of you hoping to see a green Dreadnought *looks at baz and bluebelly. Not merely one but two dreadnoughts of the mighty XVIIIth as well as a couple wayward sons of Angron.

20160821_232759.jpgimages upload

Yup that's right WORLD EATERS loyalist ones though don't worry BUT on the traitorous side of things I'm doing a couple conversions for a friend those two yellow fellows (I crack myself up) will be an iron warrior in cataphractii plate. And the other guy is definitely most certainly NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES going to be Alpharius. So even if somebody tells you that, he's not so just don't worry about it.

20160821_232805.jpgclick image upload

20160821_232808.jpghow to screen capture

20160821_232818.jpgphoto uploading websites

20160821_232821.jpgimage hosting site no sign up

Thanks for checking out my work I'd love to hear any thoughts.

Didn't get a ton of visible progress made last nite I spent most of the nite sanding and cutting and filling and sanding and cutting. I'm still new to resin but the process is getting faster as I'm learning where to look for mold lines first.

20160823_045937.jpgimage hosting no account

20160822_234927.jpgphoto uploading

This Leviathan had some bubbles that weren't apparent with the first one but still overall I'm extremely happy with models.

And I'm planning at least 2 more of them probably 3 really. I didn't get anything done on the two world eaters I started I might work on them tonight. Oooh yes I almost forgot I also decided to vow for the expansion that's the beauty of my shattered legion force and actually one of the main reasons I chose it so that I could paint members of whatever legion I want. It also seemed like a good way to practice different color schemes since I some day would very much like to do commission work.

20160823_050236.jpgimage hosting more than 5mb

They're gonna have heavy bolters and hardened armour and they're even going to get there own fancy mars pattern rhino. (Which I'll post as soon as I strip its original paint). And since I'll be painting one rhino I'll probably tackle my salamanders think I've been putting off painting almost as long as my knight.

20160823_050226.jpgphotoupload

A shot of the fists sergeant I need to write some fluff for.

On another note is anybody else as excited about those new deathwatch kits as I am. PLASTIC CHAPTER SPECIFIC SHOULDER PADS!!!!!!!.And all manner of other wonderful bits. Oooh yes you can expect too see some of them here in the future lol. Thanks for checking out my work and for all of your feedback it is always appreciated.

I definitely did not get around to putting some paint on the World Eaters and I think it's because my subconscious is telling me they're not finished. They still need something World Eatery any ideas would be great my idea for the fluff on these guys isn't the typical terran born mumbo jumbo that I'll have plenty of in this force already they are the first two of a fair sized force (hopefully) of world eaters. All of which will be pure born sons of Angron but after seeing what he did to there brothers on Istvaan decided there loyalties lay with the salamanders whom they help a great many of off the planet. Anywho it's still very WIP but I thought it gives me an excuse to use the less tasteful units from the WE lineup for my force.

20160823_231233.jpgfree photo hosting

I did get the cork cut for all the bases I'm working on ATM.

20160823_231412.jpgfree image host

I also stripped the paint off of a second hand rhino and stayed cleaning the dust off of another. The one that was stripped will belong to the Imperial Fist legionaires I'm building for the expansion. And the other is for my Sallies I'll probably go back over some of the sculpting on it as it was done a long time ago and my skills have come quite a way since I worked on this last.

20160823_231259.jpghow to do a screenshot on a pc

20160823_231312.jpgupload an image

I also did a little sanding on the levi and primed the contemptor which I'll leave pretty stock as it's my first one of this sculpt and it's a model I don't think I could do much to improve on at least not without doing a bunch of cutting and changing I'd rather not do.

20160823_231203.jpgimage

20160823_231153.jpgtemp image upload

So overall I call it a pretty productive nite no real painting was done besides priming but there is always much prep work to be done first I suppose. I'd love to hear any thoughts any of you have thanks for checking out my work.

Like sculpt some plates riveted over where the icon was? That's a good idea that also saves me trying to sculpt the chapter badge which as you may have noticed turned out horribly. I'll give it a shot tonight and get some pics up thanks bluntblade.