DarkVen's Octavia Obscura [30.04.2017]

DarkVen

I would update whenever the fancy takes you; whether you have completed work or not. WIP shots are always nice for us lesser mortals to see behind the veil.

I like the old raptors too (both!)

I was thinking I might build a Warp Smith soon and now that I've seen yours; he just has to have a hanging lamp of some variety - do you mind if I borrow that idea?

Thank you for your replies guys! I think I'll try to update this thread every weekend at least, to make you know what I'm coming up with.

The Psycho

Well I think that Doom has turned out to be a mutated/possessed terminator. I'm not sure if it is the core idea behind the obliterators, so the two others will look a bit more different.

BrotherJim

Sure thing, that's one of the reasons why I'm doing this stuff - to share any ideas with you!

If you was wondering what particular bit that is - it is actual a part from teleportation beacon from the loyal terminator box.

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Well, additional pressure is always a good motivation for me ;)

Would you mind explaining how you painted this gold? It's spot on for what I'm looking for, planning on painting up my Black Legion soon and this is exactly the way I want to paint the gold trim on them.

Warsmith_3.jpg

Fantastic conversions AND painting skills smile.png cheers

Thank you for your replies guys! It really motivates to show you something new.

Chaeron

Hopefully you'll see one of them finished this weekend msn-wink.gif

Brother Heinrich

I am nothing but a humble soldier of the night legion (which interestingly seems to have always attracted the most attention from conversers ever). I hope you will be back soon enough too brother!

DeathbyWes

I am trying a new recipe for the lightnings at the mo, maybe I will come up with the overall paiting tutorial for my NLs (and not only the armor as I promised before). We'll see where this might lead...

kizzdougs

That's a nice thing to hear! But I already have changed a few details here and there. I really hope he will look less like a terminator once a get to building him.

Nelzon

Sure thing!

1. Undercoat the golden parts with a 1-1 mix of Vallejo MC 70.822 German Black +MC 70.081 Brass

2. Heavy drybrush with pure VMC Brass

3*. Slightly shade/wash all the deepening and rivets on these parts with Citadel Agrax Earthshade

4. Wash all the golden parts with Citadel Seraphim Sepia.

5. Ink it with a yellow ink (I used Vallejo Game ink 72085 Yellow).

6*. Highlight with Vallejo GC 72.039 Plague brown.

7. Highlight the highlights with Vallejo MC 70.847 Dark sand.

8*. Highlight your highlighted highlights with any white paint.

Yo-Dawg-Heard-You.jpg

Steps marked with * after theit number are optional. Of course you should see for yourself how the coloring turns out to be and add more highlights where you feel more light must be and more washes to those parts where you think shade is.

Nelzon

Sure thing!

1. Undercoat the golden parts with a 1-1 mix of Vallejo MC 70.822 German Black +MC 70.081 Brass

2. Heavy drybrush with pure VMC Brass

3*. Slightly shade/wash all the deepening and rivets on these parts with Citadel Agrax Earthshade

4. Wash all the golden parts with Citadel Seraphim Sepia.

5. Ink it with a yellow ink (I used Vallejo Game ink 72085 Yellow).

6*. Highlight with Vallejo GC 72.039 Plague brown.

7. Highlight the highlights with Vallejo MC 70.847 Dark sand.

8*. Highlight your highlighted highlights with any white paint.

Yo-Dawg-Heard-You.jpg

Steps marked with * after theit number are optional. Of course you should see for yourself how the coloring turns out to be and add more highlights where you feel more light must be and more washes to those parts where you think shade is.

Thanks alot, will try this out! I really like how it came out and it matches quite well with blue. I will highlight my black with a dark blue so this will fit in nicely I think. About step 7 & 8, I will most likely put some more hightlights on my highlights when I highlight the highlighted highlights msn-wink.gif

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gents!

Since I'm selling a huge orc tribe at the moment I got some spare money today and decided that I haven't assembled anything simple in quite a while. So I headed to the nearest hobby store wondering what I could find there. Such a sudden buy should have a been a true surprise, so I decided I would buy something but I didn't know what exactly. So heading into the store I've seen some pretty regular stuff... and then I saw the new Heresy Boxes. So now I have additional 20 marines :lol:

http://137.r.photoshare.ru/01376/00d20115c20648138adda114db499b0ed338d33c.jpg

It will be some simple kitbash, nothing more - just to remember the fun of building marines right from the box.

I have a question though that you may help me with. Considering I've been thinking about expanding my Chaos collection and add some flavour of other legions to it for quite a time, this would be a perfect start for troops from another legion. So: What legion would suit my Night Lords the most (except for cult-legions, obviously, which I shall (or do already) have anyway)? I'm currently leaning towards Iron Warriors (since I have some in my collection and they are pretty easy to paint), Alpha Legion (these have the most interesting painting scheme among Chaos Legions imho), Word Bearers are also in order (because my best friend has them, so they can be WBs originating from his collection). The only Legion I'm not really into is the Black one, I just don't feel like it - for now at least. So I'd like to hear your thoughts guys :)

I will post another update in a day or two and show some progress on these models and hopefully they will be accompanied by a raptor (or raptors).

Cheers and have a good day!

*Raises his hand half way, opening his mouth to say something... and then stops... pouts a little... turns and walks away, muttering...*

Well fine then! The Black don't want you at their party anyhow! We are Legion... we already have many friends to come to our party...

(Honestly, I don't care what you do. Anything you touch will turn out golden, I'm sure of it.)

(P.S. As others have said, it's wonderful to have you posting again! I hope we can be as supportive and motivating to you, as inspiring and stimulating as you are to all of us who enjoy your work.)

Yes I agree think anything you decide on will work out fine.

I was thinking Word Bearers because I would like to see what you come up with conversion wise, also the red would be a nice change from the midnight blue of your Nigt Lords.

But Iron Warriors could be really themey with the new Detachments and what not depending on if that is your cup of tea. And any conversions would be awesome. Plus you IW earlier was fantastic so it's hard to say.

Depends what you're feeling man, I vote for Word Bearers.

(Or Black Legion) :P

I hear Word Bearers are quite fetching this time of year...

Tho, really, I'm with SD - whatever you choose, it'll be awesome and inspiring and make me not a little jealous of your incredible skills. Always glad to see you posting.

Thank you for your replies guys! I already have something to show you, but then I've got a raptor to paint and I don't want to spam updates like hell. Will post everything together soon!

Subtle Discord

Haha, I see your point. Well actually my Night Lords look much like Black Legion after a paint metallics and just before I do the armor. The tricky thing is - they have black armor and I don't really know how to paint it properly so it wouldn't look like a flat layer of black paint and could match the blue armor of my main collection. But I'll give it a thought, don't you worry ;)

And thank you for your kind words, you guys really are a good inspiration source for me. You wouldn't even imagine what I've managed to build today thanks to you!

Small hint: five guys armed with jet tubes he-he-he...

BrotherJim

Black Legion follower, things get tricky, he-he. Well I'm leaning towards IW the most, considering I already have some... I just might try BL out to not make you upset. But I won't give any promises just yet rolleyes.gif

Speaking about detachments and such - I haven't played a proper game in quite a while and the last one I've played was using 4ed rules. I think I might just stick to the old editions of the game, since things like psychic lores, snapshots, flyers and dinobots diverge from what got me engaged with collecting and playing Warhammer in general and Chaos in particular... so yeah, things about new rule sets don't concern me too much.

The Psycho

Hm... Iron Warriors are one of the easiest armies to paint for me indeed and the result turned out to be quite nice. On the other hand they would require much more conversions than I would've planned for say WB (these guys just require writings and symbols on their armor, seals and trophies aside. Lots and lots and _LOTS_ of writings and symbols).

Lexington

And here come the Word Bearers. I think I have full house now lol. This will be an uneasy choice to make...

Thank you for your praise, but I don't possess any particular sets of skills, it just seems that sometimes I really need to communicate with other human species a bit more rather than with plastic and modelling knife laugh.png

I wonder why anybody hasn't mentioned Alphas? Potentially they have a very vibrant and interesting color scheme: blue-greenish/green-blueish with scales all over the armor, plus silver lining. If painted properly, it could easily outdo anything I've painted for Night Lords so far.

But on the other hand Night Lords + Alpha Legion combination seems to be too obvious and somewhat boring, mainly because both legions have if not identical then pretty similar combat doctrines...

Decisions, decisions... argh.

Thank you for your praise, but I don't possess any particular sets of skills

So, fun fact - I didn't know a model could communicate "shut up, yes you do" with extreme clarity before, but look what we have here!

Warsmith_2.jpg

Learning is wonderful, everybody.

Lexington

Haha, well we need to see if I can top this one msn-wink.gif

As promised, AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gents!

First things first: the 4th tactical squad for my collection:

CSM_4_WIP_1.JPG

CSM_4_WIP_2.JPG

CSM_4_WIP_3.JPG

CSM_4_WIP_4.JPG

CSM_4_WIP_5.JPG

CSM_4_WIP_6.JPG

Well, not much to look at at the moment actually. As I've said, I've built them right from the box just for the sake of building something right from the box. It was fun but now I'm starting to feel some kind of itch down my spine. They deffinitely need a bit more customization. Still haven't decided which Legion they would represent, which will point at what type of additional equipment and detailings the require... argh. Well, it will take some time I think.

Next (again, as was promised) - a chaos raptor of mine:

Raptor_6_WIP_2.JPG

Raptor_6_WIP_3.jpg

This particular fella looks a bit more interesting than the previous entry I suppose. His base is not finished obviously - mainly because I forgot about it before I started painting. Either way I want to take another group shot of him with the rest of the squad I've built previously just to see if he fits in and if my skills have had some progress.

But I have a question for you guys: how do the golden parts and the new lightning design look? I feel like they turned out to be better than what I was painting previously, including my Warpsmith, but it's always better to listen to opinions "from the outside".

Aaand all of a sudden...

Havocs_2_WIP_1.JPG

Yes, I've managed to build a unit of havocs with rocket launchers in a day without using anything but bits from the default csm and mk4 boxes and some plasticard. Here are some close-ups:

Havoc_Champion_2_WIP_1.jpg

Havoc_5_WIP_1.jpg

Havoc_6_WIP_1.jpg

Havoc_7_WIP_1.jpg

Havoc_8_WIP_1.jpg

Now all that they need is some gs and additional wiring done. And that'll be pretty much it.

Hope you like them guys.

Cheers!

Archived