DarkVen's Octavia Obscura [30.04.2017]

DarkVen

Thank you for your replies guys!

Noctem Cultor

Many thanks! :) It turned out to be simple yet very effective. Soon I will post a tutorial on how to paint the armor this way.

The Psycho

Actually these tubes don't require much plasticard skills, just plain cutting and glueing pieces together. I would've chosen the stangard rocket launchers if I had the bits in my reach... but I will eagerly wait for your turn ;)

Olis

Because nothing is quite as efficient as knocking an opponent on his head with a giant chained rocket pipe I think :)

Nelzon

Yes, that is exactly what I'm going to do for them next: cabling and wiring. And some gs for the sake of it.

As for painting, I don't know when I'll get to them - I still have my metal raptors, terminators, a predator to paint... but I hope that maybe next month.

Really enjoyed the update Ven! That's nice work.

The raptor is looking superb and the clawed foot solution works so great. Looks like you had fun with your kit-bash and blowout a little on the havocs - they are awesome! That's an idea worth exploring. Looking forward to what else you have in store.

Insane talent on display as always Ven. That Raptor is beautiful, and your Havoc squad is incredibly clever...

Must've felt weird building ''just'' an out of the box squad. Much quicker though too i bet. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's time for the weekly update. AVE... well, wait a bit.

You do remember these guys, right?

CSM_4_WIP_1.JPG

After some consideration of what legion should I collect next and revising my bits box I turned them into this:

PlagueMarines_2_WIP_1.JPG

Yeah... so Death Guard will be my second legion. There was a few resons I came up with that decision - first of all, I got my hand on the awesome FW kit for them. Second, I already have about 14 DG models in my possession (including Typhus), not to mention a semi-prepared Rhino for them, a herald of Nurgle and 20 plague bearers which are semi-painted - combined these models can be fielded as a force of somewhat 1k points already. Third, I could not choose between the undivided legions since all of them have their pros and cons. Fourth, I heard NLs and DGs were battle bros during the HH? And finally, DG (and Nurgle worshipers in general) have they own unique look and are kind of easy to convert (I might even come up with a Great Unclean One one of those days).

Well, onto the squad - and again, nothing to look at in particular at the mo :( so I did a few shots of those which I like the most at this stage of assembly, plus a champion (which was assembled from scrap because I could not find a body for him) and a melta-gunner as a try to feel the Death Guard flavour.

PlagueMarine_5-6_WIP_1.JPG

PlagueMarine_7-8_WIP_1.JPG

PlagueChamp_2_WIP_1.jpg

PlagueMarine_4_WIP_1.JPG

And fortunate enough, while BaC was down (I hope it'll be ok now) I managed to paint his armor (the rest is not finished):

PlagueMarine_4_WIP_2.JPG

Honestly, to me this test mini looks now like it made of basalt. I think I'll wash it one more time and work on battle damage a bit more. Ideally I want to make my DG look the most similar to the original plague marines painted by GW back in the day, but I couldn't wind any nice painting tutorial which would be quick enough and not use the air brush (so any limks and/or advices would be welcomed here).

In other news. AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gents! :lol:

Actually there wasn't that much of activity with my Night Lords last week. But still I could make a tiny status update on my sorcerer:

Warlock_2_WIP_1.JPG

I hope I will please you with some new stuff in a few days though. 

Cheers!

The Psycho

Thank you! They still need much more work though, pretty much like me first NL squad.

I have finished the plague marine!

PlagueMarine_4_1.JPG

PlagueMarine_4_2.jpg

Please tell me what you think about the result.

And tomorrow I will revisit one of my old squads...

*Subtle vomits, just a little bit, into the back of his throat... in a good way*

Yup, that there is... I mean really, it's... There's just so many little... Yup, please carry on.

The secondary hose leading to the Melta is such a small touch, but I really like it; too many other little things that are spot on to pick them all out. Put simply, that's a Death Guard.

Haha thank you Subtle! My intention for DG is a bit devious from what they are usually built like. Instead of rotten meat balls I want my DG to look heavy damaged, with some hand-crafted quick fixes to their armor and equipment and decaying right on the battlefield. Given your impression I've somewhat managed to get that feel.

*high five

You cheeky devil I did not see that coming at all!

The Plague Marine is brilliant mate; lots of awesome little solutions - too many to note - too many to steal!

Looking forward to seeing more - the colours are great and they will look sexcellent next to your Night Lords.

Blindhamster

You will see him soon msn-wink.gif actually this particular sorc shall be a campaign-hero for an event me and my friend are going to play in the coming month, so I need to build him asap.

BrotherJim

Was this pun intended? rolleyes.gif

Well, I think DG is a good change of pace from my Night Lords, they are bleaker and painting them involve technics which are different to what I usually use for my Night Lords, so they will deffinitely be interesting to assemble and to paint.

Midnight Runner

Haha, thanks for the praise, but I think there are quite a few boring miniatures I've made and I'm still a learner. It's an interesting learning process though.

And if you liked my raptor, I think you'll also like the following msn-wink.gif ...

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen!

---AЯCHIVE ACCESS: granted---

+

---IИITIALIИG AЯCHIVE EИTЯY: 1---

+

Today I launch a series of irregular updates dedicated to my old works. This nostalgic series shall focus on the miniatures first intoduced in my previous blog, but not avalaible now due to broken image links. The main purpose of such an update is to give an opportunity to look at my old works one more time, now with better pictures. This way those who haven't seen my previous works shall have an opportunity to search for additional ideas and inspiration, while those who have might just get the same nostalgic feel as I do.

For starters a have a true Night-Lordesque unit: Chaos Raptors, along with the new meltagunner for them.

Raptors_1_2.JPG

Raptor_1_2.jpg

Raptor_2_2.jpg

Raptor_3_2.jpg

Raptor_4_2.jpg

Raptor_5_2.jpg

Raptor_6_1.JPG

Raptor_6_2.jpg

Why the third meltagunner I hear you asking? That is because I play 3.5 dex right now and back then raptors could get 3 meltas in a single squad.

After about 3 years these guys have aged not so bad I believe. Honestly, differences between the first one assembled and painted and the latest one aren't that much remarkable when we put them in comparision:

Raptors_1_3.jpg

These guys were also the first ones to be converted and painted after a long break. And it were they who have kickstarted my collection from two humble csm-squads and an apothecary to my current force of 5.000 points. I decided to finish them right after I saw the latest raptor kit - back then I got so frustrated with the new mutated design which abandoned the core idea of raptors as ultimate volturesque predators and moved closer to Great Crusade style that I tried to create a unit of my own raptors which would pay honor to the old ones. Now I see that the new design may work for some units and I calmed down, but still I don't recognize the new box as true raptors.

I wouldn't lie and say that they were quick and easy to finish, especially comparing to the sixth raptor or the test plague marine. Yet raptors were truly a good change of quality level for me. These models have also pointed out the direction that I've come to work in and also the Night Lordish vibe and their possible detailing.

Given the fact that I've painted them back aroung 2013 they've played a fair share of missions, pretty much as a drop-squad, so they have a story or two up their sleeves.

Funny and the most remarkable one is: they've been having accidents with deep strike rule in every game. Literaly, 3 years in a row, at least one game in two weeks. So being in places anywhere but expected is their natural choice of deployment. Other options include but are not limited to: being gone with the wind, descending on the heads of opponent's models and getting killed by landing on a friendly Land Raider. One time they've even played epic slowpokes and were delayed until the end of the game which lasted 7 turns.

Yet some of them did have moments of honor. As an example, the one with a chainsword and a bolt-pistol stood his ground alone against overwhelming hordes of blue and pink horrors for 3 subsequent turns (7 close combat phases to be exact) and killed 7 daemons in total. And the first meltagunner (the one standing on a track) destroyed a Land Raider on the second turn of the game.

Now that I'm playing 4th edition with my friends they finally get the honor they always deserved: with 3 meltas, infiltration, daemonic visage and hit'n'run even a squad of these mean gentlemens can change the tide of battle. And I'm still painting their original cousins, the old metal raptors, so that I have two squads of scary jump infantry with 6 meltas in total for ridiculously expensive 380 points!

I hope you injoyed revisiting this old squad as much as I did telling you my thoughts on it after 3 years of gaming.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gents!

A bit overwhelmed with my study and work on projects, sorry there was no weekly update. As an excuse here's a little teaser for you for what is coming closer to next Monday...

Obliterator_Ace_CNP_2.jpg

DV

Man, I should have commented on those Raptors far earlier, because they are crazy good! I generally like the 3.5 Raptors' basic design template (moreso after reading the Night Lords trilogy, actually), but I always thought GW didn't quite do enough with the models, ending up with models that were less cool than the sum of their parts. But your Raptors are basically the perfect missing link between the 3.5 Raptors and the new plastics: The bird of prey look is still there, but it seems better realised and far more badass! I also really love the Predator-ish helmets and cables/dreadlocks!

Really looking forward to seeing that Obliterator from the last sketch in model form as well! And are there any news about a certain Chosen with a Glasgow smile, by the way? ;)

Vairocanum

Thank you! My intention with this concept was to keep that flesh-y parts on oblits, to stay close to the core concept yet to rework it and to give it a bit less messy look.

KrautScientist

Many thanks Kraut! Hopefully one day I will get to the point when I assemble a 10-men squad of old style raptors. And this might be the answer to your next question: right after oblits I will work on that squad of chosen you are talking about ;) they're coming along, but need much more attention than they're getting right now.

stilgar the flayer

Thanks! Although I believe they are far from perfect. Still they were quite a milestone for me.

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen!

So, you've already seen this guys, right?

Obliterator_4_CNP_2.jpg

Well here are two other oblits I came up with. The concepts are still WIPs though, I need to add more detailing before I can start sculpting, but the core idea is there so I thought I could share the early concepts with you:

Obliterator_5_CNP_1.jpg

Obliterator_6_CNP_1.jpg

This would also be a great opportunity for all of you to submit any criticism and suggestions before I start to work on miniatures themselves. So if you have any particular ideas you think would suit these gentlemen - I am all ears!

Yet I have done some work on them - prepared bases, gathered bits and started early assembly and parts modifications in particular. So here are shots of bases for my new obliterator cult and a pic of bits pile ready to be mutated by techno-virus and dark heretech laugh.png

IMG_4752.JPG

Obliterators_2_WIP_1.jpg

I'm really sorry for poor picture quality, but it's the best I can get sad.png

In other news, I thought you would be upset because I haven't posted any finished thing considering my obliterators. So, considering this is a weekly update and you might be interested in what I've been doing this week in terms of my hobby, I'll show you how my metal raptors are coming along:

Raptors_2_WIP_2.JPG

No close-ups for them yet, I've done only blue armor parts and metal. They still need much attention to detailing and I haven't done some lightning effects for them really... oh well, I think I can share close-ups of one of them with you - the one which is by far the closest to "finished one" status:

Raptor_7_WIP_2.jpg

I'm not entirely sure about the glowing effect on his backpack, so I'd like to hear your impressions. Should I paint the others the same way or should I paint the glow with other colors?

Finally, one of my old unfinished projects is a Predator tank:

Predator_1_WIP_2.jpgPredator_1_WIP_3.JPG

Not much to look at really, the only reason why it's here is because I've finished the detailing on him this week. I might add some details to it later on but for now it's just another project (like raptors were) waiting its turn on my list of "Need to finish before new stuff".

Anyways, thank you for checking out my thread! C&C are welcomed!

Cheers!

DV

Good to see the thread ticking over Ven. Those Raptors look amazing, I like the bronze greaves. I also really like the concept sketches you do. It's interesting that you sketch them out before you sculpt them; it sounds really obvious but it would have never occurred to me.

I cannot seem to settle into a rhythm with greenstuff at all.

Everyday brings us closer to seeing these glorious Obiltoraters of yours. Number two looks like he will be my favourite :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I wasn't posting for two weeks now. I'm sorry, I really am. But I thought you would like to see something completed this time... so just to remind you that I exist and that I work - here's a little teaser for you, what's coming this weekend.

Raptors_2_1.jpg

"The ones born to kill can not be truly tamed. Yet the hunt is their best venture".

- Sabar "Tarantula" Nackim, the Warsmith.

The VIIIth legion is infamous for their swift and brutal battles. The ones to fly into the hearth of fight for the lifes of weak are the elite of the Night Lords. Raptors to be called, them seek to devour those preys that broke herd. They might sell their skill to others, but only in return for the joy of the hunt.

As the Warsmith rose from the ashes of Sasharim step by step, his army grew rapid and unrelenting. Among the first ranks of the wicked pact were they - the old ones dragged from dust and ash, awaken and empowered by the tome of heretech. They aided the Warsmith to break and to conquer those opposing his will to reforge the company. Cruel and ruthless were they, for the chosen ones were incorruptible in their lust for carnage. None could stand before them as they stroke from the shadows that haunted the damned world. Yet their loyalty to Nackim remained unyielding for he alone might satiate their hunger.

Archived