Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

Excellent conversion and great use of the old Archaon model. :thumbsup:

Thanks Chaplian Dosjetka! The moment I saw an incomplete Archaon the wheels were already spinning to make a Space Wolf model!

Groovy !!!!

Thanks DSS7! Glad you liked the conversion!

I do not like the wolves but that Lone Wolf is bad ass! Is that also some Archaon bits I see used?

Thanks hushrong! I'm glad you approve, did my best to capture a more brutal moment on the model. And yes I've used the torso and base from Archaon for the model.

Looks awesome, love what you did with the torso, and the scale looks right, which is already a feat considering the variety of bits used. Also I'm usually not a fan of curved-edge bases but it looks surprisingly good with Archaon's scenic piece, though maybe you should try to fill the gap beneath the two. Keep up the good work brother!

Thanks Traitor! The scale was definitely tricky to get right so I've been leaving it since last year haha. Good point on the gaps of the base, I noticed in the pictures as well, they have been filled now.

Yet another very cool, characterful conversion. I don't even have any nitpicks! Fairly certain I've never seen anyone use that Bloodletter head bit, so kudos on the idea.

Thanks sock! I'd always welcome nitpicks if it helps me make a better model haha! I had to swap from left hand to right hand holding the Bloodletter head so glad it worked out.

By the hair of the emperor

I am impressed. Really impressed.

Thanks Mikhal! Glad I've impressed one of the true-scale gurus of the forum! Definitely looking forward to seeing some new updates from you!

The Space Wolf is looking mighty impressive. :smile.:

Thanks Markus_! Bits choice was time consuming as usual but I'm glad the final product worked out!

This week I have finished a Emperor's Children Captain. The model is influenced by Capt. Jack's EC praetor from a while back. Might be hard to tell from my shoddy camera skills, but I've given him a slight smirk on the left side of his face and I've taken the idea that Capt. Jack wrote in the fluff for his praetor where the praetor wiped off a bead of sweat from his brow after killing all his opponents. I've gone for a "fiddling with his hair" pose, which hopefully comes through more than a face palm look. I think I'll keep going with one captain from each of the legions in MKIII armor. So far I've got a DA, BA, SW and now a EC. I technically have a WE as well but he's not pre-heresy so I'll try and make another one some day. Anyways thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

88rE7zi.jpg

More Views:

4zXefRI.jpg

YSeyOKL.jpg

Great pose and the extra details of the legion symbols on the legs really finish him off.

I would say that the spear head seems a little mundane for the third though, it lacks the ostentatious flair that marks those glorious princelings out.

Love the Praetor! The conversion work and green stuff are fantastic. I do agree that a different spear would really go hand in hand with an Emperor's Children. It's not needed but perhaps the shaft of a Stormcast Eternal Retributor's weapon and maybe some king of eldar headpiece for the spear. Again, not 100% needed but something to check out if you got it.

And I love the smirk. That just suites the III so much!

dam that is a good model. really like the pose and the left shoulder pad. Great work all round Vair!

Thanks Sagentus! Glad the pose worked out cause I wasn't sure it would work!

Great pose and the extra details of the legion symbols on the legs really finish him off.

I would say that the spear head seems a little mundane for the third though, it lacks the ostentatious flair that marks those glorious princelings out.

Thanks Pearson73! Leg detail is always something that goes through several revisions so I'm happy they worked out. Agreed that his spear is a bit plain but it's all I could scrounge up at the time, will try to replace someday after a bits order.

Love the Praetor! The conversion work and green stuff are fantastic. I do agree that a different spear would really go hand in hand with an Emperor's Children. It's not needed but perhaps the shaft of a Stormcast Eternal Retributor's weapon and maybe some king of eldar headpiece for the spear. Again, not 100% needed but something to check out if you got it.

And I love the smirk. That just suites the III so much!

Thanks hushrong! Glad you like the model, that's actually a good idea to use the shaft from a Stormcast model. Will definitely try to hunt one down to use, as for the spear head I'm thinking of adding some GS detail to it as I quite like the shape of it. Happy the smirk came through in my less than stellar pic, was hard to get it small enough (too many times it ended up looking like the joker).

Damned This new conditioner sucks my hair is a wreck :biggrin.: . Looks great mate I dig the spear.

Thanks DSS7! You'd think the emperor would have access to stuff better than store bought :wink:. I quite like the spear myself, but I will probably try to replace the shaft eventually as the current is a bit plain. 

Nearing the end of the semester so as usual I'm drowning in assignments that I've neglected till now. Well enough complaining from me, this week I've rebuilt a previous model. I originally converted the Ultramarines Standard bearer into a dual powerfist SoH captain but I wasn't all that satisfied with it. So I took it apart and repurposed it as a techmarine. Was lucky to find an old metal backpack that I got in a trade a long time ago, also nabbed the powerfist from one of the Deathwatch marines I made before cause I wasn't that happy with it either. I tried to make the old ravenwing shoulder pad into some personal heraldry instead of cutting off the hooded skull and replacing it. Might sculpt an eye over the chest cause I couldn't clear off all the GS from the cracks. Anyways thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

f6FdCuk.jpg

More Views:

egt9ZEO.jpg

Qt5P9mO.jpg

Now that's a snazzy techmarine! Good use of the UM Standard Bearer. Turning dirt to gold, if you will :wink:

Thanks Observer! Glad the second try worked out, as my first try with this model ended up too chunky.

that tech marine looks ace... really likethe PW on it. 

Thanks Sagentus! Bits choice was tricky as usual, but glad it came out ok!

Excellent conversion. I really like what you did with the standard bearer.

Thanks Isengrin! Glad you approve, I thought the original model had potential so I still got it even though as a whole it looked slightly off.

Awesome work with the blood angels captain.

How did you do the seated legs?

Thanks ShotgunFacelift! Nice to hear that you've found one of my older conversions. The legs were taken from two different sanguinary guard legs, but you could repose regular legs to make seated legs as well or do something with the thunderwolf cavalry legs. Hope that helps!

End of semester work continues, still got so much stuff to finish before the end :yucky:. A relatively simple conversion this week cause I didn't have much time to do a lot of hobby stuff. I wanted to use the psyber eagle from inquisitor coteaz on a custodes cause I thought it would fit nicely with the model. Wasn't sure how to do the helmet holding hand so I did it this way first, and after finishing I remembered the existence of Ixion Hale, so I'll have a go at replicating that on a test model and if I can get it to work nicely then I'll redo it on this model. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

44Dn0T1.jpg

RLUHMTv.jpg

That techmarine looks awesome. He has some serious presence to him.

The custodes is also a looker. That 'at ease' pose suits him well. Also, I love how his eye sockets are cast in a shadow like Corleone when he conducts business in the Godfather which lends a sinister vibe.

Been a while since I commented, so I'll start by the EC captain. He's quite cool, though I wouldn't have gotten the "wiping off the sweat from his head" if I hadn't read it... It's a difficult concept to do though, so don't really know what to recommend you to improve it.

The techmarine looks awesome though, I like a lot that powerfist and the helmet, while weird, fits the model quite well. An eye on the chest would be great however, as you said.

At last, the custodes is also very good, the eagle looks great with him. However the gripping of the helmet does look a bit weird, don't know who Ixion Hale is, but can't wait to see how it looks!

That techmarine looks awesome. He has some serious presence to him.

The custodes is also a looker. That 'at ease' pose suits him well. Also, I love how his eye sockets are cast in a shadow like Corleone when he conducts business in the Godfather which lends a sinister vibe.

Thanks hushrong! Glad you like the techmarine, sometimes redoing old models really pays off. I never actually thought about the parallels to the Godfather but now that you've mentioned it I think it fits really well! 

Been a while since I commented, so I'll start by the EC captain. He's quite cool, though I wouldn't have gotten the "wiping off the sweat from his head" if I hadn't read it... It's a difficult concept to do though, so don't really know what to recommend you to improve it.

The techmarine looks awesome though, I like a lot that powerfist and the helmet, while weird, fits the model quite well. An eye on the chest would be great however, as you said.

At last, the custodes is also very good, the eagle looks great with him. However the gripping of the helmet does look a bit weird, don't know who Ixion Hale is, but can't wait to see how it looks!

Thanks Traitor! The pose is a one off for the EC captain so I won't be doing it again on another model so no worries about seeing it again haha. Glad you approve of the techmarine, I actually chose the helmet specifically because it was weird and would seem more unique on a 30k model. Haven't really fixed the arm yet, but still working on a test model. Ixion Hale was a FW custodes character that was holding his helmet.

End of semester assignments have killed my hobby time. I was unable to finish the model I was originally working on for this week but hopefully will be finished by next sunday. So instead I'm posting this remembrance day model that I never ended up showing here before. Me and a couple friends had decided to build some models with the theme honoring the fallen (SM, Eldar, Tau, Cadian). A relatively simple conversion but I think works decently. The thing in his left hand is supposed to be a dog tag if it wasn't clear. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated.

nAgJwRy.jpg

More Views:

sReyAWu.jpg

SoNPFRR.jpg

The tribute is great! My only critiques are remove the power pack and  remove the helmet from his hand and put it on the rifle stock. The helmet isn't a huge deal really as he could be getting ready to place it and thatthe dog tags on the rifle. However, he is going to want to save that power pack for extra ammunition. Unless it's empty. 

Hmmm....

My critiques have just become weird observations. Sorry.

The way you pose all your models is great. I feel like thats one of the main things I struggle with. Nice work :smile.:

Thanks brettfp! I'm flattered you think so! Models usually go through several rebuilds before being finalized so glad it paid off!

The tribute is great! My only critiques are remove the power pack and  remove the helmet from his hand and put it on the rifle stock. The helmet isn't a huge deal really as he could be getting ready to place it and thatthe dog tags on the rifle. However, he is going to want to save that power pack for extra ammunition. Unless it's empty. 

Hmmm....

My critiques have just become weird observations. Sorry.

Thanks hushrong! As sock mentioned below, I was thinking that the guardsman was saying some final words before hanging both the dog tag and helmet on the gun. But you bring up a really good point about the power pack, and I'll be sure to cut it off and try to hollow it out a bit. Always welcome any comments, and "weird observations" often help with making a better model anyways!

Really good looking conversion, would work perfectly as an objective marker. The pose looks nice and the dog tag is an amizing detail, though a greenstuff piece so thin must be fragile!

Thanks Traitor! I tried to add a storytelling sense to the model, so I'm glad it worked out! The GS string is actually pretty solid but the connection where I glued the plasticard to the GS is weak-ish. I'll need to be careful when handling the model.

The Guardsman's grave is imaginative, but how will you use it in a game? As an Objective marker?

Thanks Bjorn! I could certainly use it as an objective marker, but at the current time I don't own an army anymore. I kinda want to start a DG and DA army though eventually.

The nub on his back is bothering me and that's about it. Lovely little scene, I read it immediately as him being about to place the dog tags and helmet on the gun stock.

That's the perfect Cadian head for it

Thanks sock! Now that you mention it the nub bothers me too, so thanks for bringing it up! Glad you saw through the scene! I actually almost went for a different head but glad I settled on this one!

A bit late again this week, procrastinated with essay writing so hobby time was close to none. I did finally manage to finish this Lightning Bearers model though. Been a fan of the Lightning Bearers since Athrawes first started his army. Seeing Mikhal's Wardens of Light really pushed me to look more into the Brotherhood of the Lost as well. I'm slowly going through all the pages and pages of lore that has been created and wow there's so much awesome content. I'll definitely be doing some more BotL models in the future when I'm more familiar with the legions. I'm not sure how accurate my Lightning Bearer would be according to the lore but hopefully it works well enough. I've opted to keep the battle damage on the nurgle legs purely because I like how it looks and not for fluff reasons. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

BrJjcVn.jpg

More Views:

mX08Wdt.jpg

o27z1tP.jpg

vmFx0Yi.jpg