Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

EPIC! This is the reason I wanted you to sculpt more dynamic models, I knew you would do something amazing! Seriously brother, this model is stunming! The only nitpick I have is thay the lower hand doesn't really seem to be holding the axe, I think that it is because there is no shaft below.

The sculpted greaves are perfect, they work well with the rest of the model, and the vambraces fit nicely too. Superb work overall!

Thanks Traitor! I do enjoy dynamic models but separating the foot from the greave is something I'm not great at so I don't always go for a dynamic repose. Good point on the axe I'll probably extend it a bit, I'm going to be doing sort of a mini update with lots of small alterations to models that I've gotten feedback for. Glad you like the vambraces I really like the look of them when I decide to go bare arm on models.

I'm impressed with the hand, I mean the rest of the model is great (big plus on the pose), but hands have gotta be tricky to do. Kudos! :thumbsup:

Thanks Olis! Glad you like the model, I spent the longest time deciding if I should put him as dual wielding axes or going for a big swing with a big weapon.

Hi !

Just ran through the whole topic during my break, your work is really impressive ! I'm following this for...ideas stealing purpose :wink:

I totally agree with The Traitor, you should show us more of your skills on dynamic models. This one last zerk champion is totally awesome, and while this is true that the hand doesn't seem to hold the axe...man you managed to sculpt a hand ! That's maybe the most difficult thing to sculpt imo. I'm not even able to draw a proper one !

I'm going to call back to life one of your fist posts in this topic, but could you tell me how you built the claws ? I can't recognize where you picked the small blades from.

Also, must say that he is one of my favourite models here !

I liked the jump pack I made originally for the Night Lords Champion so much that I made an entire model so I could use the jump pack :tongue.:. I felt regular sized lightning claws would look too bulky so I converted a smaller pair for this Chaos Raptor Lord and I'm pretty happy with how the whole model turned out. I tried to pose him as he prepared to rush towards his next prey (legs are hard to pose :wacko.:). C&C is appreciated

http://i.imgur.com/j48cVtm.jpg

Thanks Gabocius! Thanks for taking the time to look through everything, go ahead and steal away, would love to see what others can do with the ideas! Will try to buy more bits useful for dynamic models when I make my next bits order. As for the claws, they are actually the feet from warp talons and the outer covering are vampire counts grave guard shoulder pads (the rest is GS and the thumb is just the tip of a random horn).

I love the 'zerker champ! Very natural and dynamic pose, and an excellent job transformation the legs to suit a marine!

Thanks Capt. Jack! Happy you approve! I wasn't sure If I could get the arms to look natural cause I was cutting up an organic arm which doesn't have sections to it like marine armor, but GS work managed to look ok in the end. 

Yap, really really great model. Only nitpick I have: the underside of the boots seem to have no profile, could be quite slippy when the blood flows.

Thanks Mikhal! That's a good point about the soles of his feet, I've got an idea for that and I'll make sure to include when I do my alterations for several models. 

That bezerker champ is epic! really good gs work of the hand and body. You have also shown me what to do with the AOS legs and making the boots look more 40k! didnt think 40K chaos marines would look right walking around in leather boots ^^ 

Thanks Sagentus! I've seen a lot of Blood Warrior conversions that have left the boots, but a little extra work definitely brings it closer to the 40k universe. Looking forward to seeing you make some yourself now that you've got some new tools!

AWESOME WORK MAN that berserker champ looks amazing your GS skills are really getting to be quite amazing even with the use of press moulds your work is insane press moulds help but they're still a trick to use amid it appears you've mastered it keep up the killer work man

Thanks Pyro! Yea press molding is still difficult because if you're not careful you'll end up with "blank spaces" in the pressmolded  bit. Glad you liked the model, hope I can keep improving on dynamic poses and keeping them looking natural!

That champion looks great. You really captured a fine dynamic pose. And +1 for de-bootifying the boots!

Thanks Aasfresser! Happy you like the dynamic pose, it was great that the arms worked out better than I thought originally. And yes de-bootifying Blood Warriors really adds to the berzerker feel doesnt it? :teehee:

Champion looks righteous!

Thanks hushrong! Glad you approve, was a very fun build!

Awesome work on the berserker, nice job on the boots in particular - I have some of the AoS blood warriors intended for berserkers and hadnt figured out what to do with the boots - this is inspiring

Thanks Sgt. Blank! Sculpting greaves definitely makes the bezerker more menacing than in boots. For the boots, I trimmed down the sharp edges where the boot folded down so I could sculpt over it better. If not then It might have been a thicker greave to cover up the boot. Would love to see your version!

Not a really big update this week cause I'm planning out my Plague Lord for August Arena. I ended up doing a little painting as I still have access to my friends paints. I finished this Blackshield for my INQ28 warband. Some of you may argue that the model looks dull and unfinished but this is actually intentional. This is how I view blackshields, stripped of all color, scarred, brutal. You can't really tell in the picture but the blackshield has dull red eyes staring out from the hood.

Next Sunday's update will be the Plague Lord, I'll probably update this thread again before the 31st of August, and the update the following Sunday will just be miscellaneous alterations to previous models based on prior feedback. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/OtWt2aF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IvPfNoE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RAWvp0i.jpg

This is how I view blackshields, stripped of all color, scarred, brutal. You can't really tell in the picture but the blackshield has dull red eyes staring out from the hood.

http://i.imgur.com/OtWt2aF.jpg

I agree 100%, looks like he's fought his way back out of hell and no matter how battered the armour you know he'll feth you right up.

The Blackshield looks great. Who is that Dark figure? 

Thanks DSS7! Glad you liked the Blackshield, was fun painting him up!

This is how I view blackshields, stripped of all color, scarred, brutal. You can't really tell in the picture but the blackshield has dull red eyes staring out from the hood.

*snip*

I agree 100%, looks like he's fought his way back out of hell and no matter how battered the armour you know he'll feth you right up.

Thanks sock! You're damn right he'll feth everyone up! Physical battle damage is always a favorite of mine :biggrin.:.

That colour scheme... It is perfect! The weathering looks spot on, you can tell that guy has been through a LOT of stuff...

Thanks Traitor! I'm glad the master of dark paint scheme approves! The weathering was fun to do, I definitely want to try to do some more Blackshields in the future!

Really good weathering. This happens if you go shopping in a hive-city during food break

Thanks Mikhal! Glad you approve of the weathering! The image you put in my head from your comment made me laugh.

The hooded guy looks nice, but I think you used a bit to much black wash on the gold parts. Other than that it looks nice. 

Thanks Aasfresser! If you think there's too much wash on the gold parts then I did a good job! I washed the gold several times cause of how I envision Blackshields. I wanted a really dirty looking marine, so the gold would have been caked in filth and not shiny at all. 

Absolutely epic man you've really done a great job with this fella he looks properly mysterious in a wonderfully brutal way I love it man keep up the good work

Thanks Pyro! Happy you like the model, hoods always do add a sense of mystery to models so I'm glad I ended up going with that head!

So I'm cutting it real close for the August Arena deadline. I was planning to have this finished on Monday but I ended up doing way more GS work than I originally planned to. At first this Plague Lord was just going to have a bulging stomach but it ended up looking unbalanced with a pot belly so I restarted. I added small spacers to each side of the torso where the arms are and did a more heavy set stomach armor. However because of that the arms and legs now felt too skinny so I went on to GS those as well which is what delayed me. I had to repose the arms to make room for the added width in the torso. And since censers are the latest fashion for Death Guard, I gave the Plague lord a chain cloak sort of things with "censers" at the bottom. I hope I can finish before the deadline, thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/Ha4a4HY.jpg

More Angles:

http://i.imgur.com/i6zcE48.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N8ffZOu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tzmHRmk.jpg

Wow. You never stop to amaze me.

What is pressmoulded what is sculpted? You achieved a lv in both that it is close to imposssible to tell

Thanks Mikhal! I'm flattered and glad you like the model. I don't have spare money to get Dark Imperium yet but that won't stop me from sculpting my own Death Guard! As for this model, only the tabard was pressmolded, everything else was sculpted so it took longer to finish.

He looks great! I'm very glad you didn't overdo on the Nurgly yucky stuff, just some corrosion looks like the perfect amount of nurgle :wink:. The cape of censers is a great idea too, really like the look of it!

Thanks Traitor! This is my ideal form of Nurgle as well. Yea I'm not a fan of the tentacle aspect of the new DG, would be better if there was less because it seems slightly overdone right now. Glad you think the cape works, wasn't sure how well it would look when dryfitting bits.

Very nice work on the Plague Lord, that's a very menacing and bulky pose yet there's still a very fluid sense of motion.

The censer cape looks spot on too, are the parts from the DA Knights?

Thanks Pearson73! Glad you approve of the pose, I really like the bulkiness of the new DG so I wanted mine to have a similar about of bulk as well. Yep the bits come from the Deathwing Knights, power flail originally but they looked close enough like censers so I went with it.

Ok so here is my completed Plague Lord for my second August Arena entry. I wanted to go for Death Guard colors but I couldn't find the right colors from the paint I'm borrowing from a friend. I ended up painting the colors as the Fecund Ones from the DG book in Dark Imperium. I kinda want to repaint the model someday as DG but it's complete for now. Phone camera did not want to pick up the colors, in real life the rust spots and green is more vivid and not as dull a color as the picture makes it out to be. I'm going to update this Sunday with various alterations of previous models instead of a brand new model. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/vVeqESv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dMdkthr.jpg

WOW JUST WOW you never cease to amaze brother that's one hell of an awesome conversion and a killer paint job to go with it. Are you planning to enter the character conversion contest BCK is holding? Keep up the awesome work man I can't wait to see more

If not we have to use violence

He is astonishingly good Vairocanum. Will you be doing a retinue for him?

Nemac

Thanks Nemac! Glad you like the model, at the moment there is no plans for a retinue. But when I get my hands on Dark Imperium, inspiration might strike!

WOW JUST WOW you never cease to amaze brother that's one hell of an awesome conversion and a killer paint job to go with it. Are you planning to enter the character conversion contest BCK is holding? Keep up the awesome work man I can't wait to see more

Thanks Pyro! Thanks for the kind words, the paint job was rushed so hopefully I'll re do it someday. I probably will enter the contest but need to brainstorm characters and potential parts first. Need to find a full list of all characters with rules and go through it haha.

If not we have to use violence

Haha don't worry Mikhal, I'll join after I finalize my pick of character. Conversion challenges are too much fun to pass up!

Looking great, as gritty and dark as espected from Nurgle!

Thanks Traitor! Glad you found the paint job ok, it was a rushed job so I'm hoping to repaint it someday.

So for this weeks update there aren't any new minis. I did however make alterations to old minis based on feedback I've gotten from the B&C forum. I have updated my slaughter priest conversion, khorne berzerker champion, inquisitor lord, and plague champion. Thanks to everyone that made suggestions for changes to my models!

Slaughterpriest (added shoulderpad)

o1yZuM9.jpg

DoEO8yp.jpg

Khorne Berzerker Champion (added longer haft & Khorne profiling on feet)

L9WNqYn.jpg

yFSzUPP.jpg

Inquisitor Lord (added flowing cape, longer torso)

8cjj1qf.jpg

sXfkPs8.jpg

Plague Champion (added a slung bolter)

KW68VtN.jpg

eyNLJ52.jpg

Wow, these look awesome! The longer shaft on the Khorne champ looks much much better in my opinion, and the sole is a very nice touch. The Inquisitor lord looks much cooler now and I want to know what did you exactly do with that cape! And I already liked the Nurgle champ a lot the first time I saw him, but must admit the boltgun fits him nicely.

Loving the recent finished bits. The plague champion is my favourite closely followed by the bezerker champion, although I think the axe handle is a little to long

Thanks Sagentus! Glad you like the changes to the models, if it's too long to be an axe then it can just be a halberd :teehee:.

Wow, these look awesome! The longer shaft on the Khorne champ looks much much better in my opinion, and the sole is a very nice touch. The Inquisitor lord looks much cooler now and I want to know what did you exactly do with that cape! And I already liked the Nurgle champ a lot the first time I saw him, but must admit the boltgun fits him nicely.

Thanks Traitor! You were right about the short haft looking too short originally on the Khorne champion, so I'm glad it looks better now. For the cape on the inquisitor lord I just carved out inside part of the top of the cape where it would have fit into a terminator's armor so that it would fit with the model and filled in all the damaged bits of the cape with GS.

Started classes last week, and I'm closer to finishing my degree so things are going to be more hectic from now on. I didn't really have much hobby time this week so it's just small updates to existing models as well this week. Also as a teaser I have chosen some bits that I'm planning to build another Inquisitor Lord with, hopefully will have time to finish by next Sunday.

Angry Marine with Power Feet (added detailing to power feet)

Click HERE for image

Ultramarine Praetor (added detail to vambraces and on sheath)

x8GXHZU.jpg

Inquisitor Lord Teaser

U2Yj0uR.jpg
Edited by Vairocanum
Image with profanity removed