Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

So here is the next member of my inquisitor's warband, Major Gregor Straffe. INQ28 allows you to make some "over the top" minis, and a gatling gun arm seemed to be a fun build. The gatling gun arm idea came from a certain Final Fantasy character so I chose to go with bare arms as well. Still no concrete fluff for any of my warband members yet but lots of ideas floating around. Other members of the warband I am planning are: assassin, warrior priest, some sort of servitor, true scale blackshield and of course the Inquisitor himself. I may be adding more members if I come up with something or if someone makes a good suggestion. C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/Ihwxdm0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eTyqitu.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

Looking pretty good. He's certainly well armed, I must say (the gun-arm, a pistol, a knife and a sword). :happy.:

Thanks Olis! Haha that's a good point! I'd say the the pistol and sword are more ceremonial (but still perfectly lethal) while the gun arm and catachan fang knife do the bulk of the "work".

Merry Christmas everyone! Ate way too much turkey yesterday but still managed to finish this assassin yesterday. This is the first female mini I've converted, and was at a loss with how to go about doing the torso. I'm semi-happy with it, but this was the best attempt out of 4 tries so I settled for now. The right arm is a tad rougher cause I had to take a left arm and "operate" on it to become a right arm. C&C is appreciated and Happy Holidays!

http://i.imgur.com/fGVwlmA.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

I think it looks fine, though maybe I would have done her a little more inclined forward, as I don't really get models who seem to be jumping upwards... But it looks pretty badass otherwise. Also, may I ask from where are those chain-weapons from? They seem similar to the ones from the DE Wyches, but the chain is different...

I think it looks fine, though maybe I would have done her a little more inclined forward, as I don't really get models who seem to be jumping upwards... But it looks pretty badass otherwise. Also, may I ask from where are those chain-weapons from? They seem similar to the ones from the DE Wyches, but the chain is different...

Thanks Traitor! That was just my own laziness to not change her legs. I'm still not that satisfied with the model so I imagine I'll take her apart and rebuild her someday, this time with her leaning forwards! You were actually right these actually are from DE wyches, the set comes with two types of chain weapon and this is the second type.

Loving it, but I'll echo what Traitor says about her needing to lean forwards; that's a very 'fast' pose - which is great - but right now she's a little too upright for the velocity her pose implies.

Yeah the model would be better if posed forward, I kinda went the lazy road and just used the legs as is without converting. I'll probably rebuild the model at some point cause I'm still not that satisfied with the torso.

Happy New Years everyone! Going to try and do some more painting this year rather than just kitbashing. This week I've completed this INQ28 warrior priest. I wanted the model to have more emphasis on warrior than priest so he's in more armor than robes of the standard GW priest models. I've decided to make him a taller model and he stands almost as tall as a standard space marine model. I plan on adding a true scale black shield to the retinue later so scale wont be that much of a problem. C&C is appreciated

http://i.imgur.com/tyxf71r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xILHw9b.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

​One Hell of a kitbash it ROCKS !!!!

Thanks deathspectersgt7! I'm quite satisfied with the kitbash considering my limited amount of non-marine bits.

Uih. That priest is cool. Where did you get those flowing thingies? Stola? Scarf? Wpuld fit perfectly to my wardens and saves me the stress.of making them oit of plasticncarx^^

Thanks Mikhal! Those are from a banner/icon thing from tomb kings skeleton warriors. 

This week I finished this true scale blackshield for my INQ28 warband. My camera was not really being cooperative this week so pictures are a bit out of focus. It is made with Doghouse's simple true scale method, but the tartaros legs were a bit shorter so I had to add some height in the torso and feet to make it tall enough. I've always been a fan of physical battle damage on models rather than just painted on, so I really cut up the model as much as I could. The general idea for his fluff will probably be one of a few survivors of his chapter that fell to tyranids. Next week I'll finally update with the Inquisitor himself as he has sort of been in limbo for a couple weeks cause I had trouble deciding what parts to use on him. C&C is appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/EGZqebn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xPnkpTY.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

Nice one. I like the battle damage. I should really go for this kind of truscale. It saves so much time.and stress...but i am too stubborm

Ah and thx. Will try to hunt thr bits down.

Thanks Mikhal! This certainly does save time but your truescale seriously looks amazing so I'd say your extra effort is definitely worth it.

Can I ask for a bits breakdown of the priest please?

Fantastic conversions as always.

Thanks Angrypantz! I might have mixed up the sources of bits but here is the bits used: catachan toso, SM scout arms, book holding hand from commissar with powerfist, boots from cadian, "skirt" from dark elves executioners (i think), grenades from SM scout bikes, scroll parts from tomb kings banner/icon, hammer head from chaos warriros, hammer handle from a dwarf arm holding a pole (don't know specifically), not sure where head is from. Hope that helps.

That Blackshield is nothing short of epic brother your really nailing this true scale thing down. Your conversions always have so much character keep up the awesome work brother.

Thanks Pyroclast! I'm glad you like him, Doghouse's method is just so simple to do. I'm actually too into converting instead of working on a full army, I still need to finish a small death guard army I started four years ago. Now if only I could have your work ethic and start putting out more effort towards an army too.

Nice true-scale Marine - very characterful indeed! He looks like a survivor of grim conflicts! 

Thanks Commissar Molotov! I'm glad you approve! While my true scale lacks the bulk of yours, your work has still been very motivational in making me want to true-scale more.

Man, these conversions and kitbashes fo yours look the part. I greatly admire your impeccable GreenStuff sculpting. :thumbsup:

Thanks Augustus! I'm glad they look the part as the were made with a very limited selection of non-marine bits. That's really high praise, but I still have a ways to go and I hope to meet those standards someday!

This week I finally completed my Inquisitor. I decided from the start that I wanted a power armored inquisitor but didn't want to just make a space marine/scout looking one so I had to look for other base models to use. I was originally going to use the warhammer fantasy khorne lord on foot, but I ended up using that for a DA fallen instead. So then I turned to a fantasy Chaos chosen which had a good height and had full body armor distinct enough from a space marine. Getting rid of the right arm was pretty annoying as I was working with a crappy dremel, but I managed to get it off without doing too much damage to the rest of the model. Press molds really helped with this conversion for all the small details and let me keep things consistent. I decided to arm him similar to the interrogator because I really wanted to use the powerfist left from the commissar. C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/HmX1dSe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wQK6alg.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

That inquisitor looks the part. I agree his shins could be tiny bit thicker. I also love his custom backpack, but perhaps you could cut off the physical sight-stripes that are on top of the optical sights you used, to make them read less like repurposed sights? All in all this guys should look fantastic. 

Also, press molds, eh? I should really get into that stuff.

Yeah, maybe the inquisitor's shins could use a bit more mass, but not much since he's still a frail human...maybe. As it is now, he already conveys the idea of a regular inquisitor in powered armour very well. It's a lovely conversion, that gives off an interesting vibe. In fact, all your models capture this particular techno-barbarian, blanche-ian feeling, which I associate with Inq28 warbands. I'm looking forward to seeing some paint on those fellows. 

that inquisitor looks great, nicely done and you've nailed a suitably non marine power armour.

Thanks Mechanist! It took a while to figure out which body I should use as a base but I'm happy it was worth it.

Great Inqusitor, the chosen armour looks great, though I would try to thicken de shins even more to make it closer to an original power armour... Also I love all the small details you model, it makes him be full of character!

Thanks Traitor! I'll probably try to do some more work on the legs prior to painting him (originally wanted the legs to be similar to stormcast eternals). I'm glad the model didn't end up too cluttered cause there were a lot of different bits I wanted to put on :tongue.: .

Some excellent Inquisitorial types in this thread of late! :wink:

Love the Inquisitor so far! He should look quite imposing when painted. I really dig the kibashed custom backpack!

Thanks Kraut! The INQ28 stuff on your blog was good motivation :biggrin.: . I'm still deciding what color scheme to use but I'm definitely aiming to get some more stuff painted this year. I'm glad the backpack turned out fine, wasn't sure if the "I" would work or not at first.

That inquisitor looks the part. I agree his shins could be tiny bit thicker. I also love his custom backpack, but perhaps you could cut off the physical sight-stripes that are on top of the optical sights you used, to make them read less like repurposed sights? All in all this guys should look fantastic.

Also, press molds, eh? I should really get into that stuff.

Thanks Augustus! I'll probably do some more work on the legs prior to painting later this year. You have a great point about the sight stripes, I'll be sure to cut them off before painting. I use instant mold, but oyumaru works too. It's really handy for small things like icons and purity seals (endless supply), you could cast bigger things but will need to spend some time patching things up.

Yeah, maybe the inquisitor's shins could use a bit more mass, but not much since he's still a frail human...maybe. As it is now, he already conveys the idea of a regular inquisitor in powered armour very well. It's a lovely conversion, that gives off an interesting vibe. In fact, all your models capture this particular techno-barbarian, blanche-ian feeling, which I associate with Inq28 warbands. I'm looking forward to seeing some paint on those fellows.

Thanks Isengrin! Yea if you look on GW the original chaos chosen model had even thinner shins so I didn't realize at first. I'm happy the models convey a techno-barbarian vibe, I'm still somewhat unused to converting non-marine models so its great they turned out fine. I'll definitely get more than one model painted unlike last year, still thinking what color scheme to use though.

While looking for an old ravenwing sprue I dug up a box of old models one of which was this Salamanders Captain. I decided to update him a bit and redid some sculpting and gave him mkIII shoulderpads. I may resculpt the dragon head at a later date but this is the extent of my ability at the moment. Looking at the photo I realize I've forgotten to glue a new handle for the knife on his belt, but a new one has now been glued on. I'm not sure what other members I want to add to my Inquistor retinue, but I will at least re-do the assassin. After I finish the retinue I think I'll try and complete a small force of Deathguard that I started 4 years ago. C&C is appreciated!

What it the model looked like 4 years ago:

med_gallery_50606_5928_2303501.jpg

Current:

http://i.imgur.com/lHGopSI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bpadmQE.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

​One Hell of a kitbash it ROCKS !!!!

Thanks deathspectersgt7! I'm quite satisfied with the kitbash considering my limited amount of non-marine bits.

Uih. That priest is cool. Where did you get those flowing thingies? Stola? Scarf? Wpuld fit perfectly to my wardens and saves me the stress.of making them oit of plasticncarx^^

Thanks Mikhal! Those are from a banner/icon thing from tomb kings skeleton warriors. 

This week I finished this true scale blackshield for my INQ28 warband. My camera was not really being cooperative this week so pictures are a bit out of focus. It is made with Doghouse's simple true scale method, but the tartaros legs were a bit shorter so I had to add some height in the torso and feet to make it tall enough. I've always been a fan of physical battle damage on models rather than just painted on, so I really cut up the model as much as I could. The general idea for his fluff will probably be one of a few survivors of his chapter that fell to tyranids. Next week I'll finally update with the Inquisitor himself as he has sort of been in limbo for a couple weeks cause I had trouble deciding what parts to use on him. C&C is appreciated.

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz134/Vairocanum/IMGP0056.jpg

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz134/Vairocanum/IMGP0054.jpg

Hey dude! Love this true-scaled marine! How simple is the process to make these?

Also, the Salamanders guy looks badass. Very cool!