Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

Excellent work, but I think Biohazard's right on the money with his remarks regarding the pose: It's a bloodthirsty madman we are talking about here, so tweaking the position of the arms and head should work really well in getting that extra bit of dynamism from what's essentially a fairly static pose.

In any case, excellent work! :)

Awesome! I must confess that I've always liked Khorne over Nurgle, and it is great to see your take on a khornate lord! As always your attention to detail is outstanding, everything in this model is great!

Thanks Traitor! I actually started with Khorne for my first Chaos force (UM Bike Army-> Khorne Berserkers Force -> Nurgle Force)  but started to lean towards Nurgle cause of all the damaged armor and guts for conversions :whistling: . I like filling up empty space so glad you think the detail is great (cause I can go overboard sometimes).

Sublime greenstuff work and fantastic conversions, again.

The Custodian, the Plague Marine, Axeface Mc Chainaxe here, I love all of it.

Thanks Markus! Glad you like my conversions! Your army definitely helps motivate me to put more work into my own stuff!

He looks great but there's something about the pose that seems a little off to me though.

Are the arms and head all glued on yet? I'd suggest maybe lowering the arms a little and possibly turning the head to his left slightly. Having used that crest on a head before though I know it can be quite limiting in movement.

The green stuff work is sublime though, I really like what you've done with the back pack as well :thumbsup:

Thanks Bio! I was trying to go for a hefting motion (sort of like an executioner before bringing down the axe), but maybe it didn't translate that well. The head probably won't be able to turn too much cause of the crest but I'll keep it in mind when finishing him, thanks for the suggestions!

That Khorne Lord looks awesome!!!! what did you use for the 'bumps' on the shoulderpads? I've seen them other models and really wanna know what they are

Thanks brettfp! Glad you like the Khorne Lord, the bumps are model train rivets (size .060"). Those rivets are really useful and come in a great selection of sizes, cutting them off the sprue is a little bit of a hassle but the end result is worth it I think.

That lord is SWEET! You may need to make an army of that pronto.

But that burgle fella is really catching my eye!

Thanks hushrong! I need to work on a nurgle army first when the new models come out, but maybe I could add a small attachment of berserkers later on :biggrin.:. Glad you like the plague champion, I did what I could to make him more unique while still fitting in with the themes of the new models!

The khorne lord is great although i would make the "bolts"(?) smaller. But this is due to personal taste.

But really outstanding is mr nurgle....great plague marine....

Thanks Mikhal! I had only one size or rivets cause I was trying it out for the first time, when I go replenish I'll be sure to buy different sizes as well this time! Glad you like the Plague Champion, wasn't sure if using Typhus' body would work at first.

Really cool Khonre Lord, I can see the older model from the 4 Edition in the Posing! I really Like it.

Thanks Royal Cactus! Glad you can see the resemblance with the original model! I tried to make him recognizable while changing other aspects.

Nice work, serious alterations to the standard mk.III that look pretty seamless and the Nurgle guy looks dead on going by the recent leaked Death Guard images.

Thanks sock! I knew I wanted to use the MKIII legs but didn't have anything really special for the chest so I ended up just going full MKIII instead. Also glad you think the Plague Champion fits in with the new kits, still waiting for the official images so I can do some more converting :teehee:.

Blood for the blood god. Skulls for the skull throne.

Kill maim burn.

That is all.

:wink: 

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/109/665/a52.jpg

Excellent work, but I think Biohazard's right on the money with his remarks regarding the pose: It's a bloodthirsty madman we are talking about here, so tweaking the position of the arms and head should work really well in getting that extra bit of dynamism from what's essentially a fairly static pose.

In any case, excellent work! :smile.:

Thanks Kraut! I was trying to go for a hefting motion like an executioner before beheading someone. The scenario I was thinking about was that the Khorne Lord had finished killing most people and discovered a survivor so he goes for a simple kill before moving on to collect more skulls. Thanks for the suggestions!

Summer semester is going to be really busy for me, might not be able to update on time every sunday :wacko.:. Anyways, I went for a simpler conversion this week using the Ultramarine Legion Herald as a base model to make a Sons of Horus Captain. I think the original torso was a little "fuggly" so I ended up sculpting over it, I tried to emulate the armor from the SoH Legion Command. I wanted to to give him a power fist and pistol at first but ended up going with dual power fists to keep the bulkiness (sort of like a pseudo Calgar). I still gave him a holstered pistol even though he probably won't be able to shoot it with a power fist on cause I wanted to cover the original straps. Haven't really decided what to do for the shoulder pads so feel free to suggest something you think would work. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/RV6QtG4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/82336PE.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

The Khorne Lord looks fricking fantastic. The greenstuff work is impressive, to say the least.

I get where KrautScientist and Biohazrd are coming from with their remarks about the lack of dynamism on the pose, but seeing as you are trying to emulate the original, super static metal Khorne Champion, I think this recreation is perfect. Any more dynamism, and it wouldn't be recognizable as a recreation. 

He needs to lay off the cheesecake . I like .

Thanks DSS7! He certainly looks chunky haha :tongue.:, I didn't want to shave down his original chest so just sculpted over it.

All I can see is nipples.

Haha I guess with 6 nipples we have a prime candidate for a future Slaaneshi prince :teehee:! Joking aside, I just didn't want to leave a blank space so I added some rivets (didn't really cross my mind that they would look like nipples given their size though haha). I'm open to suggestions on something else to fill the blank space though if you've got any!

Now that is a nice armor.

Thanks Mikhal! The original chest looked too far back so sculpting over it seemed like a workable idea even though he looks much chunkier now :happy.:.

The Khorne Lord looks fricking fantastic. The greenstuff work is impressive, to say the least.

I get where KrautScientist and Biohazrd are coming from with their remarks about the lack of dynamism on the pose, but seeing as you are trying to emulate the original, super static metal Khorne Champion, I think this recreation is perfect. Any more dynamism, and it wouldn't be recognizable as a recreation. 

Thanks Augustus! Glad you like the Khorne Lord, and you were right about the posing cause I wanted to go for a hefting motion instead of the awkward swing of the original model. Bio and Kraut's comments did give me some ideas for future models though :biggrin.:.

His proportions look somehow iffy, but that's probably because of the base model. Everything else is great, though I can't stop seeing a baalite blod drop on his chest!

Thanks Traitor! I used too much green stuff to mount the head so his head was much higher than it was supposed to. His chest kinda sticks out more like a bird so that would make him look sort of iffy too. I curved the armor too much when sculpting so it ended up looking like a blood drop :whistling:.

So with the announcement of Primaris Marines I kinda wanted to make a different kind of altered marine. Several years ago prior to the Brotherhood of the Lost alternate universe, Bolter and Chainsword had created the Dornian Heresy where Chaos failed to corrupt Horus and basically all the loyalist legions turned to chaos and the chaos legions stayed loyalist. Ultramarines sort of broke off from both the Imperium and Chaos altogether and did their own thing. Tau technology was reverse engineered and they ended up with the MK 16 Damocles pattern armor with plasma weapons that never get hot as well. I REALLY wanted one of these models when I first saw the art for it and even went so far as to consult a few different people for commissions (I actually also wanted to get a Soul Drinkers Sarpedon commissioned as well but I guess I'll try and build one of my own someday). I didn't end up getting the commission cause I needed to buy more models instead of spending money on a custom one. So with improvements to my sculpting I decided to try and make my own MK16 armor this time. I ended up true-scaling it too cause the torso would have looked too long if I left the legs stock. The backpack looks a bit different from the source art cause I failed making it out of plasticard, if anyone has suggestions on what bits I can use for the backpack I'd love to hear them! Need to clean up some of the GS work but overall I'm pleased with how the model came out. 

Also I'd like to ask for some input from the BnC community about future conversion ideas. I've basically gone through my back log of all the models that I've wanted to convert and not many ideas on what to work on next. If there's anything you'd be interested in seeing I'd love to hear your suggestions! Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/21f5GX2.jpg

More Views:

http://i.imgur.com/uT6Gb5a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bKYgW1j.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

Any given sunday the peak of the week arrives. Your thread update.

He really looks impressive. One point if critique through: you could use more saliva/Water to smooth the surface out. Is a bit rough atm

For the backpack:go look in wargames exklusive. They might have a fitting one.

For inspiration: you could design Legion specific truscale armor for the brotherhood if the lost and then cast Them. I would buy some wardens of light patterns^^

By the way: Form which kit exactly is the helmet?

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

WHAT!?!?!

Dang it...now I want some Necron Iron Hands...

Thanks hushrong! That's actually a fantastic idea, I'm planning out the model now but need to see if i can source some necron bits locally first cause I know I won't have any self control if I go on bits sites :wacko.:.

Impressive.

Thanks Bjorn glad you like the model :thumbsup:!

Any given sunday the peak of the week arrives. Your thread update.

He really looks impressive. One point if critique through: you could use more saliva/Water to smooth the surface out. Is a bit rough atm

For the backpack:go look in wargames exklusive. They might have a fitting one.

For inspiration: you could design Legion specific truscale armor for the brotherhood if the lost and then cast Them. I would buy some wardens of light patterns^^

By the way: Form which kit exactly is the helmet?

Wow thanks Mikhal, that really means a lot to me coming from such a talented person as yourself! It's not really visible irl so I didn't realize how rough some of the GS was in the chest and pistol. I only need the one backpack so maybe i'll try to convert one first before buying a whole pack. Also I'm definitely going to do some BOTL stuff in the future but I kind of want to gain more knowledge on them first (I'm ashamed to say that after the reading advice you gave me I've only read through your Wardens of Light and nothing else cause I got distracted by something at the time :whistling:). Sock is right that the head comes from the venerable dreadnought kit.

You seem to have a talent for aping art, thay's pretty dead on.

MikhalLenoir - it's from the venerable dreadnought.

Thanks sock! I find myself wanting to have the models in the artwork more than the standard models, so I try to do what I can to copy details :happy.:.

Excellent green stuff skills! When the new Primaris are released, I'd love to see your take on fixing the Interceptors. 

Thanks Sister Alessia! I'm not that fond of the way the jump pack is connected to the body for the interceptors but I think the rest of the model is pretty cool. On the other hand I may end up swapping the marine stuff for more deathguard :teehee:. 

So being out of ideas I browsed pinterest for a while and came across this piece of artwork for Grey Knights and decided to give the "sword over the head swinging pose" a try with a Blood Angel Captain. I was running low on terminator legs (only Tartaros left) so I decided to use stormcast eternal legs as they have the height and look similar to Blood Angel armor. I got some fairly damaged Space Hulk models from a friend a few years ago and thought the chest piece would look nice for the model (although it did feel strange cutting up a Space Hulk model). The tabard was press molded and cut to fit the belt (GS bits are great cause you can keep messing up and just making new parts). The pictures don't convey the pose as nicely as I would have liked but IRL it does look better. I still need to fill in some gaps and smooth out GS in places but I decided to take pics and post today so I can update on time.

Again this week I'd like to ask for input from the BnC community on future project ideas as I have finally finished my back log of models planned from before. If there's anything you'd be interested in seeing I'd love to hear your suggestions! Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/ZfaFOA0.jpg

More Views:

http://i.imgur.com/9H2yv1I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pGFWP04.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FyucBhY.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

Really like the blood angel man! Was dubious of the Stormcast legs at first but I think you have managed to pull it off.  

My suggestion for a new project is I would love to see you do a veteran Blackshield astartes from the HH in pariah power armour, a lone wolf astartes who refuses to stop even though his comrades are dead. Keep up the good work man, and whatever you come up with next will be great!

The seals and tassels under the armpits need to go - they simply don't work ergonomically. I get that they're covering up gaps and imperfections with the casting and kitbashing, but you'd be much better off using putty to fill those gaps in in a manner that is more realistic (i.e., sculpting in the undersuit). Alternately, you need to replace them with stuff that flows from over the shoulder pad, such as a cape/cloak, seals, or something else.

And something is off with the positioning of the legs. When swinging a weapon from overhead, you're far more likely to see one leg leading and the other back, with the rear leg serving as leverage. The current positioning of the legs makes it look more like he's posing for a picture. Another problem is that the torso is straight and the shoulders are squared. It just doesn't look like a realistic action pose (unless he's set to execute a bound prisoner by beheading). Also, the tabard in the front and the tassels are hanging straight down while the other fabric elements in the rear are flowing to the model's left. I suppose it could be argued that the metallic fetishes hanging from the tassels are heavy enough to make them hang straight down, but it belies the sense of motion that the model should convey, especially since he's posed at the apex of a sword swing.

The Grey Knight picture you linked includes many of the elements I've suggested, though that Grey Knight is in a defensive pose rather than an offensive one (so he's leaning back rather than forward).

I'm afraid I have to agree with Brother Tyler here. The placement of the purity seals looks very strange and the conflicting sense of movement/stance is quite clear.

You've selected some great bitz to use with the model, but I've found from experience that really you have to push your sculpting, especially with soft armour, to make some really dynamic poses when you are changing the stock positioning to this degree.

Have to agree with Brother Tyler & co, the torso and head should be aligned with his foot work. Though the besagews you can easily change to look like purity seals, which would look fine, I think.

Other than that, your work is truly splendid, great eye for bits and posing, your new khorne lord being my favorite.

Cheers,

Yves

Some Russian sculpting place took MadScuzzy's art (that you linked to in your previous post) and made bodies/shoulder pads for Mk. 16 armor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-5-Dornian-Heresy-Ultramarines-MK16-Damocles-pattern-power-armor-/141923378012?hash=item210b4ae35c:g:eCgAAOSwl9BWLUib

I love the idea, but when I saw the execution of the idea - pun intended? - several items popped up that I wanted to address... and then I read Brother Tylers comment. He said it all. 

Love to see this idea rebooted, though, as you're more than up for it in terms of skills! :tu:

Yes. Bits shopping is a wallet hazard. It makes me do a lot of self reflection before I check out because how did I rack up $XXX? And why are there land raiders? So I feel yeah.

I agree about the pose too for the BA. He is sweet but with some tweaking he would be phenomenal. Even more so with a victim beneath him reaching up for mercy that isn't going to come,