Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

Wow, he's HUGE! Typhus has never been one of my favourite models appart from the scythe, but you surely have done him justice! He looks quite menacing and, with that height, he could fight toe to toe even against a primarch (unless daemonified like Magnus :tongue.:). Really awesome start for your Death Guard, can't wait to see more chaos from you!

Thanks Traitor! I'm really happy with the height as well, figuring out how to connect the two halves and get proper proportions was what stalled the project a few years back. For Death Guard I have two rhinos, a landraider, a daemon prince, 5 terminators (completed but need to be updated), and 10 forgeworld DG marines (will be using Chaos Warrior legs). Also going to buy some of the new kits when they come out so the army might get even bigger.

I'm impressed with your true scale Typhus.

Thanks Bjorn! I'm glad I managed to finish it after several years hiatus.

Well hellooo there, ain't he a beauty? :tongue.: Seriously mate, top stuff!

Thanks Observer! I'm quite pleased with him myself since true-scaling terminators is a lot of work, especially with all the nurgle details.

I think I have to vomit...which is a compliment for a follower of nurgle^^

Great work mate. Revisiting old models is a fun thing.

Thanks Mikhal! I'm glad he comes off gross. I definitely agree that revisting old models is a fun thing and it's cool to see where you can take the model with added experience.

Typhus is looking great. Good job.

Thanks Mechanist! I'm glad you like him, I definitely had fun converting him.

Everything looks better true-scaled, and he's looking badass.

Thanks Svartmetall! I agree everything looks better true-scaled (too bad its expensive to do a whole army)! I think that the giant manreaper is the most badass thing about Typhus so I put more effort into making it look like the original model.

Very nicely done. A really impressive model. 

Thanks Commissar Molotov! I'm glad you like him, proper proportions were tricky to figure out.

He looks disgusting, positively pestilential. Papa Nurgle will be pleased.

Thanks sockwithaticket! I didn't want to go overboard with nurgle details cause I wanted to keep him fairly similar to the original model so I'm glad you think he's disgusting!

Crikey, he is a big boy isn't he! 

Nice sculpt there fella, I particularly like the back plate, it really looks like those fungal balls errr destroyer hives or whatever are bursting through the armour!

Thanks NightHunters! I'm pretty happy with the back plate too, I went through a few tries before getting the look right. 

Didn't have as much hobby time this week so I'm a day late. Artscale April continues, this week is a true scale Custode. Well to be honest I don't know the actual scale of a custode to a marine, but after seeing KBA's conversion using a stormcast eternal mixed with custodes bits I definitely wanted to try for myself. The arm pose was the trickiest part of the conversion because everything kept shifting. I decided not to put on the elbow guards that are on regular custodes and left the original stormcast eternal iconography on his greave. The base is my attempt at making a step of a staircase. I tend to build a lot of random models that I won't actually use in a game but converting is way too much fun :teehee:. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/1peNbqk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/E204e2l.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

He does look awesone indeed! The new chestplate is specially an improvement, I don't like that much the normal one. However maybe you shold look at removing the hammer and lightnings of Sigmar from his kneepad, even though they would usually fit as an imperial icon, it is too characteristic from AoS.

That actually looks amazing. Does he stand taller than regular custodes too? Definitely will be doing that with mine!

Just a tiny bit taller cause the only actual true-scaling I did was put a spacer in the waist. Decided not to do his greaves either cause I didn't have bits for bigger arms to use on the model so the proportions would look a bit off.

He does look awesone indeed! The new chestplate is specially an improvement, I don't like that much the normal one. However maybe you shold look at removing the hammer and lightnings of Sigmar from his kneepad, even though they would usually fit as an imperial icon, it is too characteristic from AoS.

Thanks Traitor! I quite like this chestplate as well cause more lightning bolts is better! I actually left the hammer and lightning precisely because it's characteristic of AoS. So like while normal imperial citizens would think it's just a random symbol, people that know will recognize from AoS. Kinda like you you can find hieroglyphic Star Wars in Indiana Jones.

Excellent job with the Custodes chap! Will have to copy this idea!

Thanks Capt. Jack! Since Stormcast Eternals were used in custodes conversions before actual custodes came out, meshing the two together seemed like a great idea.

Now THAT is a custodes. Well done. Do you have a size comparison? Normal marine, truscale marine, terminator?

Thanks Mikhal! I liked the full plate armor feel of the Stormcast Eternals more than the standard Custodes armor. Here's a size comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/3AcGDtH.jpg

Artscale April Continues! This week I finally got around to converting that free Slaughterpriest that came with the rebooted White Dwarf. I've had bits chosen for him for months now but didn't really have the motivation to work on him. I've opted to keep his legs stock instead of GS over the back to make it more power armor like cause I quite like the look of the legs anyways. The chaos star on his chest is press molded (was very difficult to cut out though). I chose to go with bare arms after seeing KrautScientist's amazing conversion of Gladiator Angron. I've wanted to use this particular head for a while now but looked too big on regular sized models. I think the ork chainaxes work well with this guy as he's seriously huge, especially with the "bunny ears" included. The backpack is kinda small, I'll probably replace it someday when I can get bits. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/7pF95aY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bJB6aUe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iFZewvq.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

The Slaughterpriest conversion is looking quite promising -- I'd say he needs at least one shoulder pad, though, to create a bit of extra bulk and some fashionable asymmetry ;) And maybe one of the small Marauder shoulder pads on the other arm, as those are very nice for making the transition between the torso and bare arm more natural while also leaving most of the bare arm visible.

And thanks for the shout out! :)

Sometimes I simply hate you...now I can't use thr standard custodes anymore...thx for that:(

The Slaughtermarine looks promising but I would second Kraut here and add a shoulderplate. Do you have a side view?

And where did his axe come from? I might need it for my current project

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

The Slaughterpriest conversion is looking quite promising -- I'd say he needs at least one shoulder pad, though, to create a bit of extra bulk and some fashionable asymmetry :wink: And maybe one of the small Marauder shoulder pads on the other arm, as those are very nice for making the transition between the torso and bare arm more natural while also leaving most of the bare arm visible.

And thanks for the shout out! :smile.:

Thanks for the suggestion Kraut, I think you're right about the shoulder pad. I'll try out some different shoulder pads and see what I prefer, I might go "Khârn" style and give his other bare arm some chains instead of the Marauder shoulder pad, but I'll have to source one first to try it out. Also I believe credit should always be given where it's due :biggrin.:.

Nice work on the Custodes. The mash up of bits worked out well.

The slaughterpriest turned world eater is exceptional but Bloody-Hands of Khorne he is HUGE!

Thanks hushrong! I'm glad you liked the custode, and yes the slaughterpriest model is definitely a big guy :teehee:.

Sometimes I simply hate you...now I can't use thr standard custodes anymore...thx for that:(

The Slaughtermarine looks promising but I would second Kraut here and add a shoulderplate. Do you have a side view?

And where did his axe come from? I might need it for my current project

Thanks Mikhal! While I like the current custodes models too, I'm starting to think if I ever need custodes I'll have to do this sort of conversion as well. I'll definitely add a shoulder pad, just need to try out a few types to see what I like. The axes came from an ork from the Assault on Black Reach Set. Here is a pic of the side view:

http://i.imgur.com/o1YcnB0.jpg

nice work, i'm liking typhus and the khorny man! will you add scars to the bare arms?

Thanks PeaceCraft! Glad you like Typhus, I think scars are an interesting idea, I'll experiment with some spare ork arms to see if I can get it to look right first.

Awesome conversion, though I must agree that a single shoulder plate would be awesome, actually thinking of the Chaos Knights ones right now, they would probably be perfect. And he looks huge! 

Thanks Traitor! The Chaos Knight shoulder pad sounds like a great Idea, I'll try and get my hands on one to try it out!

Well he's certainly a big boy! Jaysus, you wouldn't want to draw him in the fighting pits...

Greenstuff work looks pretty seamless, top work.

Thanks Sock! Bigger means you can take more skulls right? I'm trying to do more sculpting to improve, so I'm happy you approve of the GS work :biggrin.:.

Last update for Artscale April! So after completing Typhus I still had a regular body leftover so I tried hacking the model apart to see if I could do it cleanly enough to true scale it. I barely managed to get everything into pieces and had to give up on reusing some original parts of the model as they were too damaged. It's been a while since I did the "original" truescale method using indomitus terminators but I think he turned out ok. I tried to emulate the aesthetics of the new plague marines from the Death Guard teaser video, and I gave him two cc weapons cause I wanted to make him seem more "butcher-like." The head crest thing is loosely inspired by Queek Headtaker's helmet. I'm really looking forward to seeing the official pics of the new Death Guard, I just hope I'll be able to keep my self restraint when they finally come out. (Looking at the pictures I noticed that I forgot to finish the GS on his knife hand). Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/ULY5JMZ.jpg

More Views:

http://i.imgur.com/rsZaMCx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gdH4iWd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BQw54pQ.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

The plague champion is amazing, I love the gorget! My only nitpick would be that the horn of the shoulderpad is too big, but it more or less gets balanced with the bell of the other side, so it looks fine overall. Also, will you be buying the new DG stuff when they come out? You make such awesome conversions with older kits that I can't imagine what you could do with newer ones!

Oh my, that Plague champ is just brilliant! Maybe you could add a bolter slung over his right shoulder, though (maybe even held by that chain that's already there), so that you get to keep the butcher look while also featuring the classic DG-style equipment.

Thanks Kraut! Thats actually a fantastic idea, I'll be sure to add a bolter when I can get a hold of some more chain bits. 

Very nice stuff, I especially like the Custodian and the Death Guard. :thumbsup:

Thanks Doghouse! Glad you like the true-scale stuff, you were definitely an inspiration especially with the Death Guard marine :biggrin.:.

The plague champion is amazing, I love the gorget! My only nitpick would be that the horn of the shoulderpad is too big, but it more or less gets balanced with the bell of the other side, so it looks fine overall. Also, will you be buying the new DG stuff when they come out? You make such awesome conversions with older kits that I can't imagine what you could do with newer ones!

Thanks Traitor! Glad you like the Plague Champion, for the shoulder pad I just copied off one of the terminators shown in the Death Guard teaser. I will certainly be buying all the new DG kits but maybe not right when they release. I'm looking forward to all the new conversion opportunities!

I second Kraut on the bolter but otherwise he looks a beast great work. 

Thanks Mechanist! I'll be sure to add a bolter later when I can get some more chain bits.

Man your greenstuff work never ceases to impress! That art scale death guard looks truly hulking and menacing, keep up the great work! 

A quick question what did you use for the cables going into the Death guards head?

Thanks Kordhal! I've been trying to improve my sculpting more, so glad you like the Death Guard Marine. The cables are old snapped guitar wires, they look great and you're technically recycling as well :teehee:.

Busy week with summer semester starting, got sick and couldn't get in as much hobby time during the week either (Free Comic Book Day was also to blame) so I'm a day late with this update. Inspired by Capt. Jack's fantastic Classic Redux project, I wanted to remake an older model of my own. While Capt. Jack has been doing a stellar job creating updated models with the same poses as the originals, I decided to keep some major elements and changing the rest of the model. For the Khorne Lord I decided to keep the head, backpack and double handed weapon but changed the rest of him. I wanted him to have a big chain axe instead of the daemonically possessed one that the original version had. I still need to clean up the GS work on him and complete small parts like the tubing on the back of his legs. I'm not sure about his cape so I've only tacked it on for now, do you think it fits? Or maybe better without? Any input on what else to add to his armor? Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/8fTOQnM.jpg

More Views:

http://i.imgur.com/LegxIVw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o1MYFQE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YoxTabB.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

He looks great but there's something about the pose that seems a little off to me though.

Are the arms and head all glued on yet? I'd suggest maybe lowering the arms a little and possibly turning the head to his left slightly. Having used that crest on a head before though I know it can be quite limiting in movement.

The green stuff work is sublime though, I really like what you've done with the back pack as well :tu: