These Sons of Horus are just breathtaking, especially the Company Commander, he's absolutely brutal!

All the grittiness and gore makes these fellas look like proper Astartes - no time to polish their armour in the midst of battle, only time to crush their foes.

Cheers for the feed back guys!

here's some progress picts of the Company Standard Bearer I've been working on, figure I'd let you guys see some of the process

DSC00364.JPG

DSC00365.JPG

I start by making a spacer in the torso, both to the centre of the torso and between the waist and torso

DSC00377.JPG

DSC00378.JPG

DSC00379.JPG

next i add green stuff to increase the broadness of the shoulders and to bulk out the chest, adding any armour detail necessary for the individual mini

DSC00383.JPG

unfortunately i forgot to keep taking picts over the next few steps, i tend to get excited as i build and rush through steps without recording them. the extra plating around the groin and hip gaps come from Garviel Loken as does the Legion symbol on his chest, the arm is from a Red Butcher.

Im currently waiting on a few more bitz to finish him, most notable being the Sons of Horus standard, and the right arm from the mkiv command set that has a shoulder cape over the pauldron 

• 2 weeks later...

So I made my Sons of Horus Captain a better base yesterday, results speak for themselves I think

DSC00392.JPG

It's worth pointing out how Huge this guy is compared to his Senior Officers, He's one of the largest marines I have

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00394.JPG

DSC00398.JPG

Now for some backstory on the guy. Consul Delegatus Skeirôn, Captain of the 48th Company. Formerly a Reaver Lieutenant in 1st company, Skeirôn like many marines would have sought advancement by imitating his Primarch, only problem is Skeirôn was a little to good at this, and as a result Horus would have found the Marine sickening to deal with as he would have just been projecting the Primarchs flaws back at him. So to get rid of him he lifts Skeirôn up and off as the old Terran saying goes, giving him his own company and sends him as far from the 63rd Expeditionary fleet as possible, and is not recalled till the muster for Istvaan III. Obviously Skeirôn doesn't take this well, and now has a pathological drive to over-achieve, in order to return to his Warmaster's good graces. He has inherited his Primarchs looks as well as his political ability, having received some extra training under Maloghurst "The Twisted" his skills at manipulating others are second only to his combat skills, both of which he employs ruthlessly to achieve his goals.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_2470.JPG

Finally managed to finish assembly/conversion work on this chap - Loyalist IIIrd Legion demolitions Marine. 

IMG_2471.JPG

He's got a rather ... interesting backstory, but i'll hold off on posting details etc. til some subsequent point wherein i'm more 'awake' and/or he's painted.

IMG_2472.JPG

In terms of posing, though, i figured that he's basically using the hard-wired remote in his left hand to detonate pre-planted explosive charges elsewhere on the board.

Which will be represented by those grenade-bundles from the Necromunda box. 

IMG_2473.JPG

In addition to his festooning with grenades and such, he's also kitted out with a matched pair of power-swords. While he's picked up some 'brutal' and 'unsubtle/sophisticated' vibes [for reasons i'll go into later] , as can be seen with his left leg .. he's nevertheless an Emperor's Children marine, so after a suggestion from Umbral (including the notion that they'll function in-game like lightning claws due to his speed and finesse with 'em], it seemed quite appropriate. 

IMG_2474.JPG

Yeee. 

Wow, the demolition marine looks fantastic, especially the bionic leg.

Churr :D It was a ... most infuriating experience attempting to get it to fit , carving out the cataphractii thighplate, making alterations to the bionic leg itself (which is iirc from the FW Mk.III Iron Hands ), and attempting to get it to look even semi-realistic in its posing. I'm a little surprised by how well it's scaled with the terminator armour and how the painting in progress has helped to obscure the sliiiight out of placeness of the leg joint

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So ever since I started  true scaling I've been wondering how to build a true scale terminator, which is difficult when you're using regular terminators to make truescaled marines, however I think I've figured it out. Obliterators. 

DSC00547.JPG

DSC00548.JPG

DSC00549.JPG

DSC00550.JPG

DSC00551.JPG

DSC00552.JPG

DSC00553.JPG

I actually had a hard time trying to decide on a Helm for this guy, in the end i added some magnets so i could switch between my 2 favourites when it suits me. 

DSC00554.JPG

Wow, the sorcerous flames are really nicely done, good colours and transitions.

I must say that there looks to be something a little off about his proportions, I think he may be a little too wide, or squat? I'm not sure. Love the use of Angron's cloak though.

The banner bearer is another top knotch completion, the bolter/power fist looks just right. Will we be seeing an icon or motif on the banner itself?

I must say that there looks to be something a little off about his proportions, I think he may be a little too wide, or squat? I'm not sure. Love the use of Angron's cloak though.

The banner bearer is another top knotch completion, the bolter/power fist looks just right. Will we be seeing an icon or motif on the banner itself?

Cheers, squat would be the word, Obliterators have terrible bent legs, he'd stand much taller if i tried to straighten then at the knees, it felt like too much work to me, specially when terminators generally tend to be quite squat to begin with. 

As for the banner, i suck and trying to free hand icons at that size, so I'll probably get some Forgeworld transfers at some stage to finish him off

Cheers, squat would be the word, Obliterators have terrible bent legs, he'd stand much taller if i tried to straighten then at the knees, it felt like too much work to me, specially when terminators generally tend to be quite squat to begin with. 

As for the banner, i suck and trying to free hand icons at that size, so I'll probably get some Forgeworld transfers at some stage to finish him off

That's a fair point and one that afflicts the great majority of the chaos range, I've seen some excellent Terminator truescaling done using the Aquilon Terminators, however I realise that they cost a bomb and have an awful lot of Imperial iconagraphy, that might not be desirable for this project.

Forgeworld definitely do have some beautiful transfers, I know there are definitely a lot of figures that I've left shy of completion due to my freehand skills being non-existent, luckily the tactical designations of tactical marines is giving me a relatively easy place to start learning. Though in a project like yours where each figure looks a character in their own right instead of just being a grunt, there's no place to mess up with a skew arrow or clan symbol.

• 1 month later...

the blessing and the curse of Primaris marines for narrative-oriented slash HISTORICAL PRE-ENACTMENT modellers ... 

.. has been that, at once, we get access to easy stuff for the size of truescales. And yeah, i've used the occasional Primaris arm on some of my 'historicals', for size reasons. 

But on teh *other* hand, they're juuust far enough from previous armour marks to be obviously distinctive in the absence of due conversion-work.

It's fortunate, then, that Umbral puts so much effort into these things. And as he's pointed out elsewhere, the rather .. individualistic and ramshackle nature of the Cthonian gang-banger approach to 'uniform' allows ample scope for all sorts of creative conversion-work from Primaris into earlier armour-marks. 

Although i'm a little chagrinned, i must confess, that he's therefore found *another* way to considerably accelerate his own progress at building Sons of Horus Marines - as i'm still at an exceptionally glacial pace building Iron Warriors etc due to my own lesser skills with the knife and blade-brush :P 

Well done, Umbral :D 

I'm sure people'll love to see the next two :P 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Veteran Sergeant JataVeda of the BhutaGana - The Instigator.

IMG_8652.JPG

A Terran Veteran of Unification, JataVeda leads the Hotr - a flamer, combi-flamer, and heavy-flamer equipped forward operations squad who burn at the leading edge of the BhutaGana's advance like the blade of a plasma-torch

IMG_8653.JPG

JataVeda's Aryas origins are plainly visible in both panoply and nomenclature; his name referring to an ancient bearer of purifying flame, and carrying with it the underlying signifer of the "inceptor", the "leading edge" of a blessed and mighty work, while his squad's cognomen is derived from archaic Sanskrit for the master of the sacrificial fire - itself a development of a far older term referring to the action of "pouring", and therefore most apt for the stirling description of the application of burning promethium to the foe. 

IMG_8654.JPG

In addition to a power-tulwar of black meteoric provenance, JataVeda carries a decidedly non-standard [particularly for Astartes use] pattern of customized flamer; closer in form to those more commonly used by the Army of Unification and then Imperial Army, than the mighty Marines - although with the more usual hose and back-mounted fuel-tank replaced by a much less hazardous (to the operator) canister independently mounted upon the weapon itself. This is likely to have been an operational necessity, given the nature of the BhutaGana's preferred mode of warfare as well as squad Hotr's own habitual place within the vanguard of clearance operations in dense terrain. As it substantially lessens the risk of a stray shot or shrapnel-fragment provoking an explosion and subsequent burning that the bearer would otherwise be unable to easily extinguish or distance themselves from. 

Meanwhile, the chestplate of JataVeda's slightly altered field-evaluation phase Mk.VI armour has also been plated with an honorific design that simultaneously recalls the Lightingbolts of Unity (also featured upon his Raptor Imperialis shoulder-pad), as well as the burning (destructive) illumination which the Hotr, and JataVeda in particular, inevitably cast before them. 

The noted Terran author, PTerry of the Ankh, once memorably opined that in situations of darkness, it was often better to light a flamethrower than simply to curse the dark. This was built upon by the NAS Combat Theologian, Curwen Ares Rolinson, into a broader maxim around the salience and significance of Fire in an Indo-European mythic context - the culmination of which, was the way in which its simultaneous conveyance of illumination/wisdom and destruction/removal of the false, supported its metaphysical implication as the direct conduit to the Realm and Mission of the Ishvara : the Emperor. 

Twenty eight thousand years later, Vet. Sgt. Jataveda continues to put that mantra into practice. The fiery doom of his weapon presenting the Emperor's Judgement upon those who would otherwise deny by their very presence, thought, word, and deed, the implicit divinity of Mankind. And the mastery inherent in the unfurling of "Krinvanto Vishvam Aryam" across the Stars. 

Warriors Three 

IMG_8798.JPG

The basic concept with these guys, was to further extend the idea of the Vlka Fenryka as 'special agents' of Malcador and the Throne. Hence, they're configured as 'hunters' , I suppose you might say - ornate, after a sort, but still 'barbarian', still 'brutal'. And with a sense of "mission". Of having identified their quarry, pursued it - stalked it, i suppose you might say - and then, when it has been found, launched themselves with carefully constructed fury and precisely planned pulverizing wrath straight at the pulmonary artery . 

IMG_8793.JPG

The "Hunter", or "Stalker" vibe is most clearly congealed in this figure. A head-hunter combi-bolter with scope, an auspex ... and I imagine that the darkness about his eyes, is warpaint or perhaps something ... darker, so to speak, around his vision. 

IMG_8794.JPG

Showing just how integral he is to the Harii of the Hearth-World, he not only bears the Raptor Imperialis shoulder-pad - but also a Misericordia. In other words, whether this was given by a Custodes [with appropriate sanction .. *as* Appropriate Sanction] , or awarded by the one or two beings higher up in the Imperial Household ... it symbolizes that when he strikes his quarry down - it is because they were appointed to die as the direct Sanction of The Emperor Himself. Of course, he's *also* carrying another combat-blade for less ... august up-close-and-personal kills. A Talon of the Emperor, and a Fang of the Wolf. 

IMG_8795.JPG

At some stage, I may improve upon the painting of the auspex-screen, once my skills have sufficiently developed. 

IMG_8796.JPG

The second sky-hunter - on one level, one of the most 'ordinary' Astartes I've put together in truescale; but I really did rather like how well the head in question seemed to suggest a Wolf advancing forward , roaring as his bolter does likewise; and the firing pose all-up came together really well! 

IMG_8797.JPG

Now, this chap .. I'd been quite keen to use the Mk.III plastic lightning claw for a pointing 'challenging' [or, in this case, perhaps a "they're over there..." ] pose; but it had to be something ornate, something a bit special. Cypher's plasma pistol was an interesting accompaniment to represent a much more 'artificer' style of ballistic weapon; while the 'Huscarla' [as we call them] Mk.IV style Iron Warriors upgrade set helm really helped to give him that Germanic Warrior 'feel'. I was also, of course, rather keen to work out a way to use these particular 'standing' set of Grave Warden terminator legs, which are otherwise frustratingly difficult to use for truescaling due to their lack of 'dynamism' and slightly odd angling of the thighs relative to the rest of the legs. But I think he's come together rather well ! Lightning-bolt torso with a skull honorific also helps with the 'head-taker' vibe :D And connoting, of course, striking like lightning [claw or otherwise - plasma particularly included! [i shall refrain from the detailed [Proto-]Indo-European mytho-linguistic tangent here around sun/lightning/fire ... ]! also Unity, once again - The Emperor's Lightning, against the Demons of the Fray [of the tapestry of Mankind's glorious destiny across the stars]]. 

The main thing left to do, is personalized bindrune signifiers on the belt-buckles , which I am still drafting. 

There are also several more Wolves in various stages of completion, also.