To go with the Rogue Trader Larry the Red I built up a boarding/salvage/bodyguard team, or as I like to call them. The Void Dogs

15727002_1320052344723784_91818074461727

15894813_1320052371390448_82398442047356

15781094_1320052538057098_44463555657003

15894783_1320052658057086_85408634796646

15872004_1320052678057084_26150359875053

Made out of a mixture of Mkiv Destroyers, Tempestus Scions, the shields are from Bretonnian men at arms, and the back packs are from Kasrkin. All together it makes for some convincing base human void armour.

• 3 months later...

Three and a half months on ... and we're still here :P [it's just that our various other projects - particularly the Horus Heresy Inq28 - wound up sorta taking priority for a bit]

My Inquisition complement's coming along nicely, although it's still some ways off being in appropriate shape for our 'early game' maneuvering [at the moment, it needs Sanctioned Xenos, a surveillance/intelligence chap, and perhaps a tech-priest; plus a Guard complement].

But in the mean-time ... we have another addition to the Deathwatch Kill-Team; in the form & person of a Red Scorpions Apothecary. Now, when we were sitting down to work out what we'd be putting into this kill-team, like I've said earlier we wanted them all to have individual 'personalities' - some of which would be subversions of their Chapter Stereotypes [e.g. the 'Reasonable' Patrick Stewart Black Templar]; whilst others would play things more 'straight'. Yet still be a bit 'oddball'.

IMG_1374%255B1%255D.JPG
The Red Scorpion is definitely veering towards the latter end of the spectrum. And not least due to his position as an Apothecary. We also gave him fully enclosed armour on grounds that we pictured him as having a bit of an "OCD"/anxiety thing going around blood, viscera, germs and contamination from the 'outside'. He's going to be, all up, quite fussy and detail-obsessed; with an underlying "Prussian" character of sorts [recall the rumoured First Founding Legion the Red Scorpions are descended from being the noble scions of Europa :P ] - as partially suggested by his narrow 'duelist's' chainblade. 

IMG_1375%255B1%255D.JPG

Armourwise, he's in quite a nice set of Mk.IV. This was an organic decision to not just suggest a veterancy and 'older, better, more ornate' feel to his gear [as befits a somewhat pompous noble-type]; but also because the Carab Culln miniature in terminator armour that he's based off has pretty much the *only* set of terminator plate that we've yet seen which has kneepads which can plausibly pass for the somewhat trapezoid ones of Mk.IV. Handily, the shape of the chestplate is also pretty Mk.IV even unadulterated; and the Red Scorpions chapter-badge occurs on the right shoulderpad for Deathwatching [due tothe customary inversion for hte Deathwatch plate on the left] to just be used straight, as-is. The chestplate has been further built up with the addition of cabling from iirc Grave Warden terminators, and a gorget derived from one of the plastic Cataphractoi armours. 

IMG_1376%255B1%255D.JPG

Other parts to this miniature have come from ... well, a number of sources, really. Most prominent is probably a range of stuff  from the Blood Angels Sanguinary Priest plastic kit - including the backpack and aforementioned chainblade. The narthecium arm is from iirc the Mk.III apothecary kit from FW

IMG_1377%255B1%255D.JPG

And the storm-bolter, of course, is from the Carab Culln miniature. Because the Red Scorpion iconography just seemed too good to pass up; even thoug hit might seem a bit of an odd choice . The rationale may very well be that it's decent to have an assault weapon on a chap who'll likely be wending his way across the battlefield from casualty to casualty with no decrease in effective rate of fire as a result. Or he might just like his customized storm-bolter coz Awesome But Impractical. 

Will now just have to give him a lick of paint and an appropriately stuffy Prussian-sounding name :D 

Up next ... WOOP WOOP ... IT'S THE SOUND OF THE POLICE! 

So these chaps are a bit different. Instead of being pre-planned combinations of parts, they just sort of came-together thanks to a late-night fit of inspiration from Umbral. 

We'd previously talked about having a bit of a 'militia' or local police force in operation on the Shrine World on which the major parts of our action is going to be taking place [umbral's a bit lukewarm on the notion of including full-fledged Arbites, so we went with something else]. 

The basic concept is that these chaps are something akin to a militarized law-and-order enforcement branch of service. Not necessarily run directly by the Ecclesiarchial authorities, but certainly with ties to them. 

First up, the chap in overall [perhaps even planetary] command:

IMG_1378.JPG

Base miniature is the sadly discontinued Empire general, with minimal alterations to 'de-Fantasy-ify' him; and a slight upgrade in armament in the form of swapping his sword for a shotgun [that's been thankfully de-clawed] from the Genestealer Neophyte kit. [which is ... well, it's got some /great/ stuff in it, but a lot of this otherwise excellent material has overtly genestealery stuff [like claws, tyranic carapace, etc. etc.] direclty moulded on and not always easily removed], which presents some issues with its easy use]. 

Looking at that shotgun, I'm reminded of the bit from the Baz Luhrmann [iirc] Romeo & Juliet wherein Capulet asks for his "longsword" ... and it's a firearm named "longsword".

IMG_1379.JPG

He's got a pretty martial bearing [that haircut totally makes it - severe] - and has also been given a sword to make up for  the one lost with the shotgun exchange; as well as an Imperial Eagle across one shoulderpad to really hammer home which universe he's in, and his Embodiment of Authority characterization. 

IMG_1380.JPG

I'm nto sure how easy it is to see on any of the above shots, but he's also had some gubbinz added to his shield to represent a refractor shield or some other form of power-fielding as additional protection. 

All up, a relatively simple - and undeniably effective - conversion :D 

Next up, a somewhat more junior officer. 

IMG_1381.JPG

Parts are Scion head, Cadian HQ torso, Genestealer Neophyte legs and arms/weapons. Power-maul for Imperial law enforcement vibe; shotgun for similar. 

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

I really do quite like the posing, what with the hold on the shotgun and the dramatic gesturing with his maul.

Third, another authority figure ... 

IMG_1384.JPG

Bit more complex/involved conversion this time - main body is again Cadian HQ, Bretonnian Men-At-Arms shield, Greatsword arm, Empire General arm, mace and cape, Greatsword head with a beret from one of the Scions. [to continue to convey the 'professional, militarized' sense of the force] 

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

Next up ... The Bailiff. 

IMG_1387.JPG

The idea for this chap was somebody less of a 'command authority' than the others, and more of a mid-level active-duty functionary. Hence his armament. A much *larger* mace. ANd also heavier armour than some of the other figures shown thus far. Perhaps a bit of a bodycam poking over his shoulder :P 

IMG_1388.JPG

Parts are, once again, Greatsword head with Scion beret, Greatsword arm, a bolt pistol generously donated by iirc a Mk.III Marine, the pole-arm from the Empire General kit [and ornaments thereon from the Scions kit]; main body and backpack from the Scions also. 

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Now, for some more regular 'line' personnel.

IMG_1391.JPG

Slightly different mix of parts here. Cadian lasrifle and arms; Greatsword head with Scion beret; Greatsword torso and legs - partially to represent a dress uniform of sorts [they're a 'cut above' ordinary posse comitatus or whatever , and flashier than local militia and more organized/regimented]. 

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

And another one - mostly same parts-mix, except with a straight moustachio'd Scion head. 

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

Oh, and a group shot of everybody together [plus a Remembrancer for the Heresy-era game that's just been repaired after finding himself disarmed of his sword]

IMG_1399.JPG

Next part of this particular project? Paint 'em up, looking at a black-with-red-accents scheme atm [kinda like Arbites] - with purple berets, sashes etc. [as it's a colour associated with this particular Shrine World, so helps to tie them to it, in contrast to the red-and-bone Offworlders in my own retinue].

And, following from that, work out which militarized-police force to start 'borrowing' titles and ranks from; add a few more line troopers, a sniper team (because who doesn't love police snipers?], and names and what not and so forth.

I'm quite looking forward to this lot - as it's the first time I think i've ever properly used purple, and will make for a nice visual contrast with the black of the Deathwatch and hte aforementioned colouration for my Inquisitor et co. 

Oh, and remind me to poke Umbral into sharing some of the /seriously awesome/ stuff HE'S been doing over teh past three months for his side of things. There's some quite cool stuff he's actually gotten up to full-finished very decently painted status whilst i've been hand-sitting and faffing about with concepts for the *next* Inq28 game [before we've even begun putting on the first or the second one :P ]

• 3 weeks later...

The Police [whomst we're still working out a name for] are mostly painted up [although not quite to a standard wherein i'm happy to post 'em] ... but whilst we wait for the requisite parts to complete retinues and such-like to turn up, Umbral and his itchy fingers keep finding odd things to do with our spare sprues.

Behold. Mounted law-enforcement!

IMG_1449%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_1450%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_1451%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_1452%255B1%255D.JPG

There may be scope to put an Imperial Aquila or somesuch on the skeleton's former hammer-haft. We'll see how it plays out. 

The general idea here is that we're going to expand our game out to include wasteland areas around the main city on the shrineworld the action's happening on - a bit of a Wild West style arrangement. So 'The Law' out there will be on occasion horse-mounted. Riding from shanty-town to shanty-town looking for fugitives [possibly accompanied by a few servo-skulls or something; and some on-foot posse]. The bell is a bit of a symbol of office and is run to summon out a given town to inform them that The Law is here, and looking for whomstever. The Sun and Moon may represent his determination to pursue fugitives ceaselessly. And the beret ties him back to the rest of the 'police' [they're looking pretty decent atm in liche purple]. 

This'll be interesting once painted up :D 

Cool concept, the rider looks great! I think the skeleton on the head of the horse looks a tad much, maybe if you relocated it to the back side of the horse? Cause the armored plating of the horse really do give off a great "police" feel but the skeleton on the head makes it seem more like some sort of noble. Looking forward to seeing more!

• 2 weeks later...

A few 'beat cops' [equipped for a riot] to go with the policing personages from a few posts back. 

IMG_1566%255B1%255D.JPG

General partsmix for these is a combination of FW Manann's Blades for the bodies [and one of the heads], Bretonnian Men At Arms for the riotshields [and one club], iirc Vraksian renegades for the shotguns, and Greatswords for a few other bitz. 

IMG_1567%255B1%255D.JPG

The pointing chap will be a patrol-commander; with the other two being rather hardbitten supporting chaps. 

IMG_1568%255B1%255D.JPG

There'll almost certainly be a bevvy more of these in the near future - as the base-bodies are superbly characterful for what we're going for here [a sort of Swiss Guard level of ornate in some ways [swiss Guard analogues on a Shrine World, eh? :P ]; but still very much armoured, combat-effective, and capable of waging the sort of armed-suppression actions that a 40k police force would be called upon to engage in - particularly the 'riot control' necessary for a planet teeming with masses of intergenerational pilgrammage going on].

IMG_1569%255B1%255D.JPG

Colour-scheme will be rather similar to the one I've done up for the more 'officerial' personages of this police force [which I haven't gotten around to posting yet bcause i'm still detail-tweaking them]. Basically, dark blue for main fabric, black-and-red for shields, and most probably yellow on some of the accenting. 

All credit for making these conversions happen goes to Umbral.

Next steps will include putting together a few more of these beauties, posting the officers, and knocking together a vehicle or two for them to roll around in [we're atm considering a number of base chassis, ranging from the Goliath and Taurox, up to a converted Ork Battlewagon, using parts from the Empire War Altar to get a 'gothic' feel going. Objective would be to build a 'paddy-wagon', and some form of more conventional transport, replete with fighting compartment, mountings for 'less-lethal' weapons for crowd control, and other such things]. 

Oh, and sketching out a precinct-house and barracks facility for them to guard for some of the set-pieces we've got planned for later in the campaign...

• 2 weeks later...

One of the characters that's been obviously integral to how the plot works for awhile now ... is this chap. The Xeno-Archaeologist. I've always loved the Imperial Missionary figure he's based on, and it seemed to have exactly the right 'feel' in terms of a robe-clad chap who'd determinedly stride forward through whatever wasteland he happened to be trekking through in pursuit of ancient wisdom on that particular day. The backpack of books, chests, and an autorifle helped with that. Although I personally felt that the book-staff was perhaps a bit much; and was initially going to replace it with the Omnispex from the Skitarri kit for a sort of theodolite effect; but then it turned out to be rather uh ... small. 

IMG_1709%255B1%255D.JPG

So after a suggestion from Umbral, we wind up with one of the uh .. "powerpicks"? or whatever htey're called from the Genestealer Neophyte Hybrids kit [which makes sense for the sort of Indiana-Jones style "archaeology" that leads to actual archaeologists cringign in horror - i.e. smashing things to get to relics, and what not] as a stafftopper; and the omnispex in his left hand [which is the Skitarii hand and forearm which came with it to begin with - the forearm that was originally there has been cleaned back to the sleeve to make space]

IMG_1710%255B1%255D.JPG

The  goggles definitely add to the wilderness-wanderer vibe [good protection from dust storms]; and overall it's quite good to have a much more 'rugged' vibe to him than what one might conventionally associate with an 'academic'. 

IMG_1712%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_1711%255B1%255D.JPG

Next steps are, obviously, painting him up [i reckon he'll look pretty decent in the colours associated with my Inquisitor's retinue - red and bleached bone], and potentially doing a few associated bits for the character in question [whether it's a large Eldar steele he's just chipped out of something with his pick [mining equipment on an archaeological excavation ... how novel], some sort of reasonable-sized all terrain hauler [perhaps some form of multi-legged pack-mule type construct .. ], and maybe a Servitor excavation crew to go with him [actually looking at some of the servitors from the Grimaldus retinue for this, although obviously carrying Xenos relicy style stuff rather than chunks of Imperial architecture]. 

Also, apologies for the 'curious' focusing on these pix. I'm still attempting to work out how t get the best out of this camera. Although at least it means you can see in the background that i've been making some level of base progress wit hthe next round of POlice :P 

Great conversion! Straightforward but effective, the omnispex really fits in well with the model!

Really nice stuff. Where do you got the priest with the goggles in resin from? I've never seen one and only got them in metal from GW...

Churr for positive feedback :D [he's mostly painted, and has been so for quite some days now - so I need to get around to finishing and posting .. as with EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS THREAD that you've pretty much onlyseen the greys of]. 

As for the provenance of the base-mini? Unsure, I got it off a mate who happened ot have spare. 

Now ... for our next trick ... a Tech-Priest to go with my Inquisitorial retinue. 

IMG_2067.JPG

The reasoning behind this chap was rather straightforward. There are some seriously excellen techpriest minis out there straight out of the blister - although they all have a pretty 'orthodox' appearance. I like the Enginseer vibe, definitely, but something else was called for for the Inquisitorial Retinue. 

In this particular context, something a little more ... well ... 'priestly'. Perhaps an 'academic' vibe. In power armour. 

IMG_2068.JPG

Now, this guy is, if anything, comparatively underarmed by the standards of your usual Inquisitor-associated tech priest. All he's reallly got [other than the contents of his backpack] are his standard bionic/servo enhancements. You know, the stuff he'd be using in the regular course of his work. Which just so happens to include diamond-sharp chainblades for cutting and a really pointy drill. 

IMG_2069.JPG

The mounting for all the servo bits and pieces is a Scion backpack; whilst the servo-arms themselves are from iirc a Techmarine kit and Fabius Bile. 

IMG_2070.JPG

The auspexy signum is from the same source [the Techmarine, i mean - not Bill]; and the handy censer-thing is from Bill as well. 

IMG_2071.JPG

All in all, quite an 'academicy' sort of Tech-priest - who'll presumably make up for his lack of ranged firepower with the crucial undersatnding that knoweldge is the best weapon ... backed up rather shortly by hydraulically assisted cutting/rending/drilling/pulverizing/pincering power. Even the slight casting error on the head winds up working out rather positively - perhaps post-stroke effect. 

Assembly once again by Umbral, based on a miniature I found browsing Pinterest from somebody's thread half a decade ago. 

• 3 months later...
Been awhile since i posted anything here, so here's something I made a while ago and forgot to post.

Since i started True scaling marines,I've been mostly troubled by what to use for true scaled scouts, as I've wanted to have an unarmoured space marine assisting my inquisitor, kinda like Lexandro D'Arquebus in the Inquisitor Wars (which if you haven't read you should, its terrible in the best way possible)

So I looked and everything and the mini that fit the bill for what i wanted best, turned out to be The Mighty Zug 

22228202_1610727702322912_10905224366041

21687872_1610727685656247_39896671080437

22154372_1610727688989580_86144519778476

22195358_1610727885656227_87310787110398

I had to change his socks into boots with green stuff, the stalker bolter is from the deathwatch and i added a hot shot barrel to it for the suppressor.

the cape is from Mortarion which i had to build up with green stuff around his shoulders

22195401_1610727908989558_26089917170842

Size comparrison with another sprinting marine and my Inquisitor 

22195760_1610727898989559_24773894970171

when I got Zug I was hoping he'd be big enough to be a true scaled marine, but looking at these 2 side on i think he's bigger than a marine in power armour.

• 2 months later...
two new minis .. although undecided whether they'll go to this or other projects.

First up, a nearly-stock crusader with a power-maul

IMG_4998.JPG

Next ... I was casually mucking around with our rather impressive bitz-sprue collection, and decided to set myself a 'challenge' of sorts. To make a decent-looking miniature using only one part maximum from the box-sets I had to hand. 

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

I guess the vibe I wound up going for was some sort of grizzled Imperial Guard veteran barking a charge order; Umbral suggesting the book represent an Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer [plus additioins perhaps] which he can't bera to be without [i.e. suffers full-on anxiety attacks if bereft of], desptite now knowing its relttive uselessness due to fear of Commissarial discipline from his days in the Guard. 

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

Partsmix is a set of legs from the Cadian Command squad, torso from Empire Greatswords, right arm with bolt-pistol from Genestealer Neophyte Hybrids, left arm from AdMech Skitarii, head from Flagellants, and book from the Scions. 

Haven't worked out quite where he'll wind up yet, but an interesting exercise in just putting bitz together and seeing what comes of it that i might repeat in the near future for a few additional 'gaps' in various warbands i'v got in mind.. 

• 1 month later...
IMG_6117.JPG

Wasn't quite sure where else ot put them, but these happened. Didn't even intend on doing them, really. I had a few half-assembled attempts at my 'alternative guardsmen' - Cadian HQ legs, Scion torsos; and I hadn't really been doing anything with them while i attempted to work out what to do to polish them off. 

The first one was the result of trying out one of the Empire Free Company heads - and this gave him a kind of 'commandery' look, so I went with it. An outstretched maul from the Genestealer Cultists box seemed the right way to continue hte 'flow' of the miniature out and to the left; I eventually wound up putting a GK Terminator purity-seal over the spacer i'd used to make it look more "right". 

IMG_6118.JPG

Sorting out the right arm was surprisingly difficult - i'd initially wanted a more 'open' stance, but couldn't find a wide-spread right-arm that would do the job. A Cadian HQ arm bearing a bolt-pistol, plus a slightly carved spacer got me *part* of the way there, and in the end, i couldn't be bothered going all teh way with the armpit spacing [running low on purity seals to gap-cover, anyway]. 

He still needed "more", though - so a combat-blade on his left hip seemed to suggest somebody who's still pretty active, dogged, and adroit in tight spots; which left me scrabbling to try and owrk out hwo to fill in the rest of the belt - sanguinary guard pouches [with the grail helping to suggest the religiousness that i see these guys having], a cut-down Cadian one to boot, seemed to cover it. And meanwhile, the space in the back of his armour, got a power-cable and some controls [made from a Skitarii backpack and Cadian HQ gasmask, respectively]. As a finishing touch, of sorts, an antenna from a Skitarii backpack went striaght in the center of the upper back armour - with a view to further reinforcing the 'commander' style vibe. Coz he'd be needing the extra comms gear in addition to the one already on his shoulder.

IMG_6119.JPG

Meanwhile, with the Musician ... This basically started out as an exercise in proof-of-concept - I kinda felt that a logical thing to do with these Guard would be a Musician like the old Fantasy regiments used ot have. Greatswords horn went right into it for this; an went nicely wth the advancing pose [although the overall posing went a bit odd due to me doing this in one of my frenetic all-nighters]. Slightly annoyed that the spacer i put in to the neck area appears to have shifted during the drying process [attempts to extricate the head and start over were ... not successfsul,, to say the least. ], thus compressing his neck visually, but theoretically it's not actually that disproportional given the shoulders etc. 

Heading forward at a bit of a clip, while shooting and having his horn at the ready seemed the juice, which just meant i needed to find a decent head, and an appropriate *left handed* pistol. Went with the young-blood head from the Free Company, because the idea of a relatively youthful guy in such a symbolic position seemed appropriate [i mean yeah, Brin Milo's a bit of a preceedent there i guess] . Although good grief it was difficult finding a bloody left-handed pistol to use for this. Only one i could find [that i hadn't already used] was the hellpistol from the Scions kit. 

IMG_6120.JPG

And again, a GK Terminator purity seal over the armpit, a combat-knife, the in-fill parts on the back of the carapace, and full-up combat webbing. Good grief that was infuriating to attempt ot put together piece by piece! Eventually went with grenades [thoguht about putting them on the Commander, but niew], a canteen - because blowing a horn's probably quite thirsty work and gotta keep the whistle wet!,  and hten cut down a Scion belty-stowagy thing to fill the last remainng gap in. [might contain his 'nerves' gear]

Might do a few more of these once I've sourced some more circular bases , Scion torsos, and additional parts. We'll see how things go. Also had some ideas around flagellant arms as well for another Standard Bearer. And may attempt to do an SMG style thing out of some of the Empire crossbows i've got sitting around. 

IMG_6121.JPG

And still needa work out a paint-scheme for 'em.

The way I see these guys, in my head [there's a Commissar miniature that's mostly done up minus me needing to swap a book over due to him accidnetally getting two right hands,which was the initial prototype for all this i suppose], is that they're a formation of elite, well equipped and pretty pious soldiery; medieval vibes very much a part of it, not least because that's what i'v e got a surfeit of stuff of. 

I quite genuinely didn't intend to do any Guard beyond the occasional Veteran etc. for my various Inquisition retinues and *maybe* the formations of PDF, police and stuff that you've seen earlier. 

But for some strange reason, over the past few weeks I've been putting together quite a number of them. And not even for the same formation or regiment, either! Funny how that works out :S 

Might be Guard Intelligence kill-teams or suchlike on the horizon for an alternative style of Imperium warband.