bluntblade

Candidates for the Arch-Champions

Nurgle: Alexandar Kharkovic, Eagle Warriors

Khorne: Jolly Slayer, Kehl Dorak

Tzeentch: Predator Character, Naagloshi Character

Slaanesh: Drowned Character, Traitor Serpent

Undivided: Susanoo Empyon, Athrawes Raiden, Mashyan(?), Eagle Warriors LT

So, there's actually not a lot decided.

EDIT: And I highly disagree with not using the Dark Fates rule.

Edited by simison

Well, Slynnat's the Legion champion, Dorak gets weird in a way that pleases Khorne mightily. So Slynnat quits after Terra and winds up in the Black Legion.

Btw just realised that in MoM House Viridyon were reborn from shame and sorrow in black and gold. AD-B, you sly dog.

Wouldn't that be Riktus, then, given that he becomes a Prince? Honestly, I don't want Dorak getting major favour, he's more like Foulspawn with sentience.

Also apologies for me derailing the thread.

Dorak is the jolly slayer. Picture Carnage in power armour, with a daemonic second head that he bickers with.

This sounds nothing like the character I wrote. What are you talking about?

I don't think we had a fleshed out jolly slayer. Dorak's as close as the current characters get

The Jolly Slayer is a former Warbringer who has become obsessed with ‘giving’ honor through a variety forms of bloody death. So far, I’m the one who has written a narrative blurb with him.

It would fit best, he keeps his mind the most intact. Although I have a light day at work tomorrow, so I have time to write. I’ll see what I can make of the other options available.

Back on topic, how are we handling the Dark Fates rule? Do we use it sparingly or vigorously?

Also, I've added a couple of EW characters for Chaos Undivided and to give Kharkovic a rival for Nurgle's affection. (Hypothetically, I could add an EW officer for each character.)

Off the current subject of conversation, but did we get anywhere with the Unification wars facts?

I got 3 done. 

Also, Grifft votes we use Dark Fates a lot. My caveat for this is that we have a 2:1 ratio of Traitor characters: those without versus those with Dark Fates.

To elaborate a little on my PoV. The Marked by Dark Fates rule to me should only signify narrative relevance for the immediate events of the Insurrection itself. So it indicative that a character has some important task within the context of the Insurrection, not that they will still be around in 10k years (though some might be).

Essentially it is a guarantee of some future significance, rather than a guarantee of survival through the upheaval that follows the dual Sieges.

Honestly it's a rule that should be decided by characters and story and not rule balance; basically if it fits we use it, if it doesn't we don't.

So, care not for the spoilers?

We're in an odd position, the 40k universe is full of spoilers because that's just the nature of the beast, the HH is filling out history; so the twists and turns come in the smaller stories.

We on the other hand get to work traditionally, but if spoilers happen I personally won't be too upset, because I feel like there is a lot of cool story regardless.

I found facts for most of the Legions during the Unification period. Some Legions don't have facts are because the search function didn't turn up the word Unification in their threads.

Fact 4: Recruited from the Paladin Cults of North Ind, a society that placed honour above life itself, at first there seemed to be nothing remarkable about the 4th. This illusion was dispelled as, upon their first deployment, they launched a dawn assault via aerial vehicles that saw the leaders of the Pan-Pacific Empire massacred. Their mode and time of assault gave them the title of Morning Stars.

Fact 5: Achieving deployment earlier than many of it's brother Legions, the majority of the Vth originated from the religiously united techno-barbarian states of Jermani. An aggressive and competitive nature compared to the 1st gave rise to accusations of a gene-seed flaw, something that was thoroughly rebuked in time.

Fact 6: The 6th Legion was recruited from Nord American tribes in order to obtain more Legionaries so that the Unification What's momentum would continue even as it's opponents began to fortify themselves. The peculiarities of their gene-seed lead to a slow and steady growth. By the end of the Unification Wars they dwarfed many other Legions.

Fact 7: Heavily influenced by their recruiting grounds in Europa, the 7th early campaigns in Gyptus and Nordafrik earned them the name of The Shepherds of Eden, adhering to a strict chivalric code that saw them cast as liberators rather than conquerors.

Fact 8: The resilient people's of the Kulatic League were early on identified as a potential source of aspirants. After a decades long purge of their original religions the 8th soon displayed signs of ruthlessness from an early stage as they sought to battle could please fanatics that threw themselves in their path.

Fact 9: The survival of many of the 9th’s aspirants despite a strenuous gene seed implantation increased a self-belief in their innate superiority as warriors, something inherited from their Pansylvanian culture. To their foes they presented an iron wall of discipline and coordination that shattered all before them.

Fact 10: Whether an honour or not, the 10th can rightfully claim that during Unification they faced a foe no other Legion did. When the Emperor decided that the Thunder Warrior's usefulness was over and moved to eliminate them, a portion escaped. In doing so they proved the very reason for their elimination, for they founded their own rebellions as overlords. The task of eliminating them was given to the 10th.

Fact 11:?

Fact 12?

Fact 13: Unlike many, the present day name of the Eagle Warriors dates back to the Unification Wars themselves, where their penchant for using rapid assaults to outmanoeuvre their foes. Like many they were recruited from peoples that had put up determined but not suicidal resistance against the armies of the Emperor, in this case the denizens of Kentral Americ's radiation tainted jungles.

Fact 14: The so called 'sightless fourteenth' found both it's size and reputation hindered by both an unstable geneseed and its retainment of the aspirants culture within the Terran salt deserts before they were brought to heel under the Emperor. These apparent coincidences would echos the homeworld of their Primarch.

Fact 15: The 15th Legion found that its Pariah Gene crippled it's early expansion, rendering most it's aspirants from the jungles in Hy-Brasil useless corpses. Its first campaign was undertook with a force of no more than 200 Astartes, by the end of which they had earned the Cognomen of The Wraiths', for tactics that relied not upon open battle but terrifying the foe into surrender.

Fact 16: The 16ths expertise in aquatic warfare dates back to its Terran origins, those who used the meagre remaining bodies of water as a defensive stratagem. Even then they would display an aptitude for complex campaigns and bear the cost, losing over half their number in their first operation.

Fact 17: ??

Fact 18: The 18th never saw action Terra. The Unification Wars were already coming close to their conclusion when the great hives of Terra and their gang-warfare embroiled inhabitants were selected for recruits. Deployment was further slowed by geneseed difficulties that made implantation a battle of sheer willpower that retained much of their former memories. By the time they were ready for battle, Terra had been conquered.

Fact 19: The Phantoms were a Legion of superlative swordsmen that became renowned for its members actions in single combat. Drawn from the city of Mariana within the Atlanta Wastes they drew upon that domains culture of assassins to slay Sud-Afrik tyrants and Urshek warlords, despite a relatively small size.

Fact 20: The Vessorid warriors of the Zealandia wastes made for skilled but destructive recruits for the 20th. The divisive and cruel culture that birthed its aspirants showed clearly in its furious assaults. Criticised for cruelty and individualism, they would be given the task of those abominations that sought to survive the Emperor's coming by lurking in the shadows.

Edited by Beren