What have your Raven Guard done lately?

mertbl

Yeah the cheap T8 spam is a serious problem if you aren't prepared for it. I think a Repulsor would've done well in your list. Enough dakka to threaten the infantry, T8 to withstand his anti-tank and up to 4 Lascannons to deal with Pask.

I play with what I have, and I don't have a repulsor or any real high STR shooting aside from my devs. I realize that's a problem. I guess until I can change that I'll just have to be clear to my opponent that I can't deal with stuff like that and look for a different game or not play unless they're willing to modify their list to make it a more even playing field.

I'm hoping that getting my dreadnoughts and hellblasters done and into my list will help me out with some more toughness and shooting.

I do have that exact dev squad loadout and that's what I took. I was planning on using the cherub and the hellfire stratagem but since they got wiped top of turn 1 I never got the chance.

There was plenty of LOS blocking terrain but I didn't use it like I should have. Next time I play guard I'll make sure I hide better. I've talked in some of my other groups about the game and I think the conclusion I've come to is:

My list didn't stand a chance and I made a lot of mistakes that just made me crash and burn faster. I really made the game easy for my opponent and that's on me. I've learned, know a few things to do differently next time, and will have to take this in stride. You can't win them all and hopefully my next loss is not as bad as this one.

As long as you learn from your losses thats the main thing!

Facing a new army is always difficult especially when your unaware of what they can do.

I remember the first time I faced grav centurions in in 8th I ran to Nemisis Dreadknights right up next to them thinking they were invincible...

I lost them both on my opponents first turn :ermm: I never made that mistake again and I got fairly savvy playing my GK's against SM grav lists

While were on the topic of SftS!

You should all email GW FAQ and say that if they're going to keep the rule as is that the CP should only be spent if you want to do it before the game begins not when you deploy the model

1 CP is a lot if you decide you're not going to do it

Better yet tell them to switch it back to what it was or make it an outflank move! :D :tu:

Ancient is great, he really doesnt even need to be primaris. He is especially good with Aggressors and Hellblasters.

Another note: You are playing 650 points - as Marines. You are effectively handicapping yourself. On top of that, you played something closer to ~500 against 650 by taking what is effectively 150 useless points of units.

Id argue that if you want to play as Marines in small point games, against strong mono-codex books (like Eldar, Guard, etc), you might even have to forgo the Patrol/Troops slot, and go straight for our more deadly units (Vanguard, Spearhead, etc, etc). Something like a Smash Captain, 2-3 units of Aggressors, and maybe a dread or Melee element would fare a lot better in this format.

Nothing in his guard list is a slouch, we unfortunately cannot say the same of Tactical and Assault squads. At the end of the day, in a game like this, ObsSec and Troops simply don't matter, as you don't put out enough damage to live long enough to actually score the points by having them. Your models are too expensive and do too little damage.

Edit: I feel you. When I first came back to the game and tried playing with Scouts and ASMs, I lost every game. My beloved Chaplains are garbage now (rules wise). 

Edited by ltvyper

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a lot of non-troops painted up but I am working on it. I'll continue to suffer through games until I can add more. I may start taking my terminators because they at least put out the shots and have an invuln stock.

The primaris ancient is only 6 points more than a regular one and you get an extra wound, 6" of range on the rifle and -1 AP on those shots.

I think going forward I need to have the mindset of having a good time first, learning second, and winning third. The last three games I've played I learned a lot since I don't play that often. I'd love to make it weekly but I don't think I can convince my wife to go along with that given our hectic schedules.

After watching that batrep and thinking about it all day I'm strongly considering picking up another kheres assault cannon and running my contemptor with FW rules as a mortis. Even picking up two lascannons gives me some nice dakka and more wounds than a devastator squad for only a couple points more...

After watching that batrep and thinking about it all day I'm strongly considering picking up another kheres assault cannon and running my contemptor with FW rules as a mortis. Even picking up two lascannons gives me some nice dakka and more wounds than a devastator squad for only a couple points more...

I bought one with very similar reasoning. Keep in mind your opponents will suddenly have a juicy target (albeit with a 5++ save) to use their anti-tank weaponry on.

Redundancy is our friend when I say redundancy though, I don't necessarily mean spam. More along the lines of multiple units than can perform similar missions, have similar durability, etc. Example, a Devestator Squad, Predator, a Contemptor, and a Xiphon can all be proper anti-tank platforms. The also all have secondary abilities that can synergize within your army make up.

Devestators can be a backfield objective point unit, Predators can help block LOS and help grab midfield objectives, Contemptor can tank as good as the little Knights, and the Xiphon can grab Recon mission points and block enemy unit movement while avoiding reprisal from melee units.

Just depends on the plan one has in mind for their overall game plan to acquire mission points. I personally "try" to build in blocks of 500 points. One block for the backfield, two blocks for the midfield, and one block for my opponents backfield via deep strike/reserves (or really fast units that can bypass the midfield scrum)

This is 100% accurate. The only thing the devastators do that the Contemptor can't is use the Flakk/Hellfire stratagems. The Contemptor is better in pretty much every way. On top of that, the Contemptor can function as a Stand-In Captain for 1 CP.

Which in a funny way isn't that big a deal since marines tend to be CP starved anyways. Autocannons look tasty too... but I think I'll grab an assault cannon and lascannons. Then I'll have some options for my low point games and if I play something larger I can probably fit the LC in without an issue.

This is 100% accurate. The only thing the devastators do that the Contemptor can't is use the Flakk/Hellfire stratagems. The Contemptor is better in pretty much every way. On top of that, the Contemptor can function as a Stand-In Captain for 1 CP.

Which in a funny way isn't that big a deal since marines tend to be CP starved anyways. Autocannons look tasty too... but I think I'll grab an assault cannon and lascannons. Then I'll have some options for my low point games and if I play something larger I can probably fit the LC in without an issue.

I agree with your assessments. I actually have all 3 loadouts for my current RG FG Contemptor (Double Kheres, Double Twin AC, and Double Twin Las)

In preparation of the vanguard release (whenever that may happen), I've dusted off my Raptors. Guess I'm going for a playable primaris only force, to have a consistent looking army, and finally fill the gaps I've left in my primaris.

First step was dousing those guys in Munitorum Varnish. The old Purity Seal frosted lightly, but varnish can undo that and even make the colors more vibrant, as I've seen with my Knights recently. Gives them a light sheen too, but that's better than the alternative.

Next step: When I'm not home, I can't work on the Mastodon anyway. At that time, I'll paint up my remaining Raptors primaris from back in the day - got 15 basecoated with casted logos, those should get table ready in the next weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a 1500pt game yesterday against a relatively new local player

Its actually my first game it was my first game since September I believe ...

I figured it would be a good chance to try the new SftS rules, Bolter drill and the assassins.

My opponent was meant to bring his DG but then brought a quad contemptor and leviathan with 3 of the DG heavy mortar tanks...

After telling him my list was mostly infantry with limited AT he decided to change his list to double contemptors and a leviathan with a 10man Alpha Legion terminator bomb.

I lost...

As for thoughts on the new mechanics.

Bolter drill is a nice feel good to roll extra dice but had zero impact against marines

The new assassins especially the vindicare are a good improvement but not game breaking

I am considering running my RG in future with a double vindicare + miscellaneous assassin vanguard because its fun

New SftS sucks...

Having to spend the CP before knowing if I actually want to move is lame

My VVs are significantly worse now especially if there isnt terrain to hug with their 9" move

As suspected I would have preferred it to be either pay if u decide to do it

Was good to roll some dice though as it had been a while. Took a good 10-15mins to find and pack all my gamong aids as they'd been packed up since my last tournament

40kfaq@gwplc.com

The Custodes feedback guidelines is probably a good way to provide it

As well as acting as a taster for things to come, this is an opportunity for fans of Warhammer 40,000 and the Adeptus Custodes to playtest rules for Forge World, contributing to the game you love! While we appreciate all comments and suggestions, in practice we find that the actual experience of games played is worth a great deal more than the theoretical. If you would like to contribute to the play testing of these rules, follow the instructions below:

Please make sure that you use the subject line “FWCUSTODES” and note that you must use the headers below to provide us with your feedback. When writing any feedback email, please repeat the same format for each individual unit, item of wargear or ability you wish to discuss.

• Unit: The unit’s datasheet which this feedback refers to.

• Number of games played: The number of games played using this unit and Faction keywords used in these games.

• Wargear Item/Ability: The item of wargear or ability to which this feedback relates.

• Wargear/Ability Suggestions: Suggestions relating to the above unit’s wargear or ability and the rationale for these.

• Points Value Suggestions: Suggestions regarding the points values for the unit and its abilities.

Obviously change to suit :tu:

Edited by duz_