8th Edition & BA

Charlo

Gents........... flamer pods are dead

How? We haven't seen the rules for drop pods. The rumour was 3" deployment from a vehicle.

It probably is, but with the Trygon example, the other unit still has to be place at least 9" away from enemy forces.  So, I'd bet that you can place your unit up to 3" away from the Drop Pod, but still have to place it at least 9" from any enemy models, which is out of range for standard Flamers.  

I'm actually ok with this.

Total null deployment armies are very uninteractive and allow armies that rely on a single turn alpha strike to exist.

Those aren't fun for either player really, and turn what should be a game of multiple turns where the winner isnt certain till near the end, into effectively a single turn deciding everything.

Up to half still leaves you with a lot of potential for deep strike reinforcements, and if that restricton means assaulting from reserve is back in force I'm so on board.

Total null deployment armies are very uninteractive and allow armies that rely on a single turn alpha strike to exist.

Those aren't fun for either player really, and turn what should be a game of multiple turns where the winner isnt certain till near the end, into effectively a single turn deciding everything.

Up to half still leaves you with a lot of potential for deep strike reinforcements, and if that restricton means assaulting from reserve is back in force I'm so on board.

Aye - and null deployment has been mentioned as possible for narrative games. Might even pop up for matched play when the new planetstrike comes, or in certain scenarios.

Edited by Mirbeau

With no scatter die i simply can't see how drop pods could have a different rule where you can deploy closer than 9in but i guess it's still early days. Maybe they will allow you to but with the restrictions that you can't assault

We still don't know the whole picture so it doesn't necessarily mean that null deploy lists have gone.

Things like Drop Pods, Flyers, LotD, etc, have always had to start the game in Reserve. List creation is done before rolling for mission so unless the rules for these have changed dramatically, it's entirely possible you'll end up with a situation whereby you have to start the game with Flyers and Drop Pods on the board...

Obviously this won't happen so they will either be a Codex rule to override this BRB rule, or the game will pretty much end as we know it. The point is, don't write the obituary on a null deploy list just yet.

Honestly I love razorbacks.

I'm with you there! With twin linked becoming twin and transports that (suposedly) aren't made of paper, a twin heavy flamer razorback is sounding pretty awesome.

A separate note on pistols- I know there is a lot yet that we don't know, but taking inferno pistols instead of meltaguns on an assault squad could also be quite a good option.

I'm not quite sure whether its hope or premonition, but I have a feeling that our secret sauce will be Re-rolling To Wound in CQC (including pistols will be naaaaaaaasty!), Fleet or some such, and particularly good Jump Packs, Flyers, and Skimmers.

Honestly while null deployment list were the most obvious offender it wasn't just them. Unless your list was super durable like Necrons or a BarkBark star you were always relying on your alpha strike and sometimes beta strike in 7th.

Tau for example relied on dealing all the damage during turn 1-2 while they still have their Markerlights. Once they were gone they relied on the tankiness of Riptides to survive till the end of the game. Hence why you almost never see other Tau lists in 7th competetive games.

We still don't know the whole picture so it doesn't necessarily mean that null deploy lists have gone.

Things like Drop Pods, Flyers, LotD, etc, have always had to start the game in Reserve. List creation is done before rolling for mission so unless the rules for these have changed dramatically, it's entirely possible you'll end up with a situation whereby you have to start the game with Flyers and Drop Pods on the board...

Obviously this won't happen so they will either be a Codex rule to override this BRB rule, or the game will pretty much end as we know it. The point is, don't write the obituary on a null deploy list just yet.

It's not a mission rule tho but a general rule for matched play, no? They specifically said that things like a null deployment list are sometimes very fluffy and cool and fitting a specific narrative...and that's where those lists belong. In narrative play. So I doubt they'll make it overly easy to ever use a null deployment list in matched play if at all.

Indefragable, re-rolls in cqc seems very fitting!

Personally, I know they've said they don't want to have units that ignore core rules like battleshock, but I feel like they are a good candidate for a rule that either ignores or drastically reduces battleshock wounds.

I wonder...

If a Land Raider charges, do the troops inside count as charging too? 

If not, can they charge after the LR failed to make contact?

Probably not if they still have to disembark during the movement phase. ;)