Coo, so shiny and chrome – I feel like a digga! :D

If you'd like to have a go at converting your own RTB01-styled retrohammer marines, I've created a tutorial on + Death of a Rubricist + for how to convert Mark X into Mark VI armour. You can find it here [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+]

e.jpg

*grumbles in how you're going to prod me into actually finishing some squads for my ongoing truescale Mk.VI clad Heresy-era force(s)* 

one thing I'd potentially say viz. the tutorial is that an excellent source of bitz for this style of thing is actually the Ravenwing Command Squad box - which comes with a number of Mk.VI heads, archaic looking pistols and interesting power-weapons, some interesting apothecary gear, etc. As well as an array of quite thickly armoured arms that go quite nicely and in-proportion with Primaris bodies and torsos [avoiding the t-rex arm syndrome that regular marine arms on them can suffer). And while various of these do have some iconography upon them - a lot of it is either chapter neutral (skulls and such), or easily removable in any case. Although the helms do have inbuilt communications antennas - but on the other hand, with their 'knightly' style of faceplating etc. somehow seem rather closer to the Rogue Trader era Beakie aesthetic in some ways than various of the 'newer' Mk.VI available around the place. 

also may be worth noting that as applies the Reiver arms - it's been awhile since I worked with them (or tried to), but if memory serves, the ones holding bolt carbines in two hands are actually narrower (somehow) in the distance between shoulders than an Intercessor torso. Which probably won't matter much if people are just using the arms, and the pistol grip right hand, of course. 

also-also - when it comes to the hands and arms bit of the assembly more generally ... in my experience (as I think i've said on this thread before) - the hands of regular scale marines don't go too well on Mk.X sized arms ... both in terms of potentially looking a bit small , but also in terms of how the rear of the bolter will often project backwards across the wrist join to the first millimeter or two of the forearm. Which can mean that the whole hand winds up sitting artificially high on the wrist, etc. 

Or, in other words, probably easiest to detatch the hands that come moulded on to a lot of bolters these days , and just utilize the right hands that are attached to bolt-rifles (sans bolt-rifle, of course) 

*grumbles in how you're going to prod me into actually finishing some squads for my ongoing truescale Mk.VI clad Heresy-era force(s)* 

one thing I'd potentially say viz. the tutorial is that an excellent source of bitz for this style of thing is actually the Ravenwing Command Squad box - which comes with a number of Mk.VI heads, archaic looking pistols and interesting power-weapons, some interesting apothecary gear, etc. As well as an array of quite thickly armoured arms that go quite nicely and in-proportion with Primaris bodies and torsos [avoiding the t-rex arm syndrome that regular marine arms on them can suffer). And while various of these do have some iconography upon them - a lot of it is either chapter neutral (skulls and such), or easily removable in any case. Although the helms do have inbuilt communications antennas - but on the other hand, with their 'knightly' style of faceplating etc. somehow seem rather closer to the Rogue Trader era Beakie aesthetic in some ways than various of the 'newer' Mk.VI available around the place. 

also may be worth noting that as applies the Reiver arms - it's been awhile since I worked with them (or tried to), but if memory serves, the ones holding bolt carbines in two hands are actually narrower (somehow) in the distance between shoulders than an Intercessor torso. Which probably won't matter much if people are just using the arms, and the pistol grip right hand, of course. 

also-also - when it comes to the hands and arms bit of the assembly more generally ... in my experience (as I think i've said on this thread before) - the hands of regular scale marines don't go too well on Mk.X sized arms ... both in terms of potentially looking a bit small , but also in terms of how the rear of the bolter will often project backwards across the wrist join to the first millimeter or two of the forearm. Which can mean that the whole hand winds up sitting artificially high on the wrist, etc. 

Or, in other words, probably easiest to detatch the hands that come moulded on to a lot of bolters these days , and just utilize the right hands that are attached to bolt-rifles (sans bolt-rifle, of course) 

Lots of good thoughts and ideas there. I agree that the Ravenwing set is a great source of gear. 

Nice conversion and loving the skull sculpt.

Ta very much – came out looking a bit like the scenery-chewing Skeletor from the 90s He-Man movie. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing; but certainly thematic to the period!

I've been away for w a while, but I'm so happy to see you've been busy producing excellent stuff! I like the Techmarine especially, but the Apothecary also makes a fantastic impression.

Thanks, Majkhel; and I'm pleased to say that the techmarine is finished :smile.:

+++

+ Techmarines during the Nova Terra Interregnum +

j.jpg

Owing to their split loyalty between Chapter and the Martian Cult Mechanicus, the Fraters Astrotechnicus – or techmarines, to use the Low Gothic – have long held an uneasy position within many Chapters. The hidden mysteries of the Cult make them shadowy servants to two masters; a position that means they are often held in barely-disguised suspicion.

The uneasy balance of loyalty is held in check in different ways by different Chapters. Some force their techmarine corps to swear terrible binding oaths, while others some disbar their techmarines from the standard rank progression. A few – chief amongst them the Iron Hands and many of their successors, but also Chapters such as the Star Leopards and Horizon Lords – adopt a contrary approach, heavily integrating the teachings of the Adeptus Mechanicus into their own Chapter Cult.

The swelling wave of faith that caused the Nova Terra Interregnum brought further scrutiny and pressure upon the office of Frater Astrotechnicus. As the Astartes as a whole became more isolationist, the presence of the techmarines was often seen within Chapters as introducing a potential fifth column. There are no recorded instances of the techmarines being attacked or disbarred by Chapters, but that it did not happen is by no means a certainty – merely that the Inquisition knows little of the Astartes' internal workings. 

Should any Chapters have executed or destroyed their techmarine Corps, this would likely have contributed to rapid and deleterious loss. Three Chapters that suffered rapid and unexplained losses were recorded at different periods during the Nova Terra Interregnum; all of which are suspected to have purged their Techmarine pool. 

Of these, the most notable were the Sons of Antaeus, a fifth-founding Chapter whose name was passed into the annals of the lost within three decades of the commencement of the Alien Wars. Reports of this storied Chapter's final campaign – against the recidivist squats of the Ulgur League – were classified; but eyewitnesses of the Mercian 2000th Regiment remarked that the Astartes' vehicle seemed badly depleted.

The truth will never be known; and as the Chapter has been reported lost, the re-use of its title will be forbidden for millennia to come. Such is the fragile nature of the Astartes Chapters: powerful in theory and practice; but brittle when deprived of Imperial succour. The imposition of such an inherent preventative measure demonstrates both the foresight and suspicion of their founder, the Thirteenth Primarch. 

+++
Edited by apologist

+ Brother Mirandola (Maltiel 4:01), Blood Angels Techmarine +

Yours is to heed the machine as others heed their kin. Tend to the war spirits all about, but do so in the knowledge that you do the Emperor’s duty. Without your ministrations, no bolt may be fired, and no enemy slain.
— Extract from the Apocrypha of Æons, Verse III, Chapter CIV

+++

k.jpg

i.jpg

The Opus Machina – the bisected skull and cog motif – is moulded on. I think it's from an old Space Marine vehicle accessory sprue that has lurked in the bits box for years. I used ivory and deep grey tones, rather than black and white. This helps to prevent it from becoming too dominant and eye-catching.

I was pleased with the little haptic keypad thing on his belt. I painted a lens effect in grey, then added a fine grid over the top with diluted light grey. The effect is to glaze the underlying gem effect, creating a result a little like a car headlight.

h.jpg

A nice simple approach to painting the backpack means the unusual sculpt (from a Forge World Horus Heresy techmarine, I believe) isn't overwhelmed. I added a blue claw glyph to the back of the toolbox. Having taken the decision to swap the shoulder pad for the modern equivalent, I couldn't resist this little nod to the original.

g.jpg

The drill at his waist is another element translated from the original. I built it using the drill from the Primaris Apothecary sprue attached to a communicator widget from one of the Primaris sprues. The paint job is simple metals, apart from the tachometer dial. Unlike the Machina Opus, I used pure white, pure red and pure black here. It's so small that it needs all the help it can get to read out.

I was also pleased with the studded shoulder pad. I feel that I've got my method of painting red working nicely now, and the gradient here works smoothly.

f.jpg

A final finished shot from the front. I matched the colours of the lenses to the original model from WD139. As the sculpt doesn't match, I wanted to make sure that there were some details to make it clear it's intended to be the same character.

To this end I've also added some yellow and black to the shin. On the original, this marking covers the entire lower leg; in my reimagining, I've restricted it to a single fine strip. This is a favourite technique of mine: painting details freehand within an area of the sculpt, rather than painting the entire area. It makes things a bit more subtle, and heightens the sense of scale.

Hope you like him – would love to hear your thoughts.

I don't know quite what it is about him, but I love Maltiel so much. There's just something wonderfully characterful and refreshingly simple about his design. I really love the combination of parts and details, it all combines to turn an otherwise-innocuous looking marine into a such a standout model.

The Techmarine looks even better painted! 

As a small quib to your fluff  - IIRC the Alien Wars Interregnum coincided with the Moirae Schism? That would probably complicate the position of the Techmarine both internally among themselves, the Chapter as a whole and their / their chapter external relations as well. And is further complicating writing about it -  but maybe those recording these annals simply chose not to veer to far into that topic and just let sleeping cogs lie ? ;)

Excellent work on Brother Mirandola.

I don't know quite what it is about him, but I love Maltiel so much. There's just something wonderfully characterful and refreshingly simple about his design. I really love the combination of parts and details, it all combines to turn an otherwise-innocuous looking marine into a such a standout model.

The Techmarine looks even better painted! 

As a small quib to your fluff  - IIRC the Alien Wars Interregnum coincided with the Moirae Schism? That would probably complicate the position of the Techmarine both internally among themselves, the Chapter as a whole and their / their chapter external relations as well. And is further complicating writing about it -  but maybe those recording these annals simply chose not to veer to far into that topic and just let sleeping cogs lie ? :wink:

Thanks very much – and you're quite right; the Moirae Schism was partially synchronous with the Nova Terran secession. There's a hint of fluff in the Origin of Empire: A Divided Mechanicus inload about the Moirae Schismatics. They're on the horizon... just behind a few other projects.

Of course, if anyone fancies fleshing them out before I get there, then feel free – I'd be delighted!  :)

As ever, really impressive work. Dallo

Very kind, thanks Dallo.

Loving it! 

Cheers!

Excellently reconstructed piece! The bits selection makes him look completely functional, I'm a sucker for bionics and techmarines should be as augmented as they can to perform their role.. I've always liked the idea that they don't just fix machines but themselves as well.. again the paint scheme is beautifully executed, the different coloured lenses add interest without it being distracting, suggesting that they perhaps serve different functions, and that hazard striped stripe is brilliant (if somewhat meta)

Will get on to expressing my awe about the techmarine in due course (because I am in awe about the techmarine)

Interesting bit of fluff viz the Sons of Antaeus you've come up with there - I'd initially presumed you meant the same Sons of Antaeus that are of the 21st Founding circa 991.M35 (which would be right at the tail end if not after the Nova Terra Interregnum) - but i see upon closer inspection that I am mistaken, and that it's an earlier 5th founding chapter of the same name. 

Excellently reconstructed piece! The bits selection makes him look completely functional, I'm a sucker for bionics and techmarines should be as augmented as they can to perform their role.. I've always liked the idea that they don't just fix machines but themselves as well.. again the paint scheme is beautifully executed, the different coloured lenses add interest without it being distracting, suggesting that they perhaps serve different functions, and that hazard striped stripe is brilliant (if somewhat meta)

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I like the idea that Blood Angels might go further than more pragmatic Chapters to match their bionics to their natural form; but agree that Techmarines benefit from a bit of divergence in terms of silhouette.

Amazing recreation of a classic. I love the backpack with the doubled-up vents - did you cut several backpacks together to make that?

I'm happy to say that's a stock piece. It's from the Proteus II Missile Launcher kit. The only tweaks I made were to fill in the divot where the camera would normally sit.

Interesting bit of fluff viz the Sons of Antaeus you've come up with there - I'd initially presumed you meant the same Sons of Antaeus that are of the 21st Founding circa 991.M35 (which would be right at the tail end if not after the Nova Terra Interregnum) - but i see upon closer inspection that I am mistaken, and that it's an earlier 5th founding chapter of the same name. 

Thanks! It's nice to drop little hints like this, I think. The background has long hinted that Chapter names or heraldries are occasionally recycled after particular events or disasters – the Imperial Fists post-Beast and the Star Scorpions/Mentor Legion are good examples. 

I wanted to give people who play Chapters that are canonically founded post-Nova Terra Interregnum a way into the fun :)

What else can be said except, ‘bravo!’?

Thank you!

+++

h.jpg

Upon the seed of the Blood Angels there lies the ancient curse of mutation, a foulness which cannot be seen, which is covered over by the grace, intelligence, and high achievements which are the proud boasts of this most noble of Chapters. Yet the fire that burns behind the eyes of these sons of Sanguinius is bright with a thirst that only the blood of man can slake. Aye, it would be wise to but whisper the name that comes from times heavy with age and fear, a name which echoes in the march of the Blood Angels...

+ Apothecary Euthan Sansavino (Varchiel 2:06) +

f.jpg

The inspiration and build process for this model are covered in this inload [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+]; so as with Techmarine Mirandola, I'll concentrate here on the painting decisions.

i.jpg

I went back and forth on the overall scheme, toying with a vertical red/white split; but ended up plumping for the scheme on the original medic from WD139 – white armour with red shoulder pads. This was mainly because – unlike the techmarine – the base model was very different from the inspiration. The robe, back banner instead of big hand-borne banner, the pose... all broke away from the old model. The paint scheme was therefore important to use to create some consistency.

j.jpg

I tackled most of the equipment in a similar way to avoid hte model becoming busy. A nice neutral layer of Charadon Granite was used for the hand flamer, the wrist-mounted narthecium, holster and pouches. The metallics were similarly tackled in a cohesive way, with wet-in-wet washes of Leviathan Purple and Seraphim Sepia over Ironbreaker.

k.jpg

A little bit of freehand detailing on the holster, chainsword and text on the shoulder pad scroll add some interest, as does the blood spatter. The latter was achieved with a mix of brown and red.

l.jpg

The robe didn't come out quite how I wanted – I was aiming for a softer, worn leather effect. I may need to go back with some further glazes of sepia ink. I don't think the result here is bad; but it's a bit busy – almost reminiscent of camouflage, which wasn't the intention.

m.jpg

I am, however, pleased with the reduction of the big banner. Having freehanded all the other material in the army, I thought it'd be a cop-out to do something different for the banner. The key elements are faithfully reproduced, and I've turned the row of nine blood drops into three groups of three – a decision that serendipitously proved to echo the tweak I'd made to the Third company symbol across the army. Sometimes happy accidents turn up!

I changed the banner top blood drop into a blue jewel; symbolising Sanguinius' tears of sorrow. This was mainly to add a contrasting accent and cause the viewer's eye to flick back and forth between here and the marine's eye-lenses, taking in the banner a bit more.

n.jpg

The white armour came out nicely, I thought. I used a Payne's grey ink wash to build up the shading; in much the same way as I use the purple paint and sepia ink to shade the red.

Those who have kept their opticalinput augmitters at full will spot that there's a large blood drop honorific on his shin; something absent in the composite image above. I added this at the last minute at the suggestion of a reader. While I like it in and of itself, I am rather kicking myself that I overlaid the blood spatter, which I was pleased with. The two rather fight here, I think.

h.jpg

One final shot of the apothecary/sanguinary priest/medic... and that leaves just three model to complete: the Chaplain, Librarian and Land Speeder.

Very crisp work on the Apothecary.  White armor is really tough to pull off!

I am of two minds regarding the blood drop marking on the leg. It is very RT and fits the theme but IMO it is a bit too pristine ( and a bit off center ? ). But that is just me... it is really just nitpicky to say that about an otherwise outstanding feature.

BTW Shame on me for believing that you would miss a detail like the Moirae Schism. Actually, double shame since I looked up the AM inloads some time ago and totally forgot about it :( 

Guess I just thought it odd not to find any obvious reference on the Techmarine post. Sorry!   

The apothecary is excellent, well done on the white armour. The banner's freehand and the blue jewel are great as well.

The pose is a marked improvement and conveys a lot of confidence. Very good.

If I may offer some small criticism, the left greave seems a little wonky (pushing inwards), although that could be accentuated by the camera angle.  

Those who have kept their opticalinput augmitters at full will spot that there's a large blood drop honorific on his shin; something absent in the composite image above. I added this at the last minute at the suggestion of a reader. While I like it in and of itself, I am rather kicking myself that I overlaid the blood spatter, which I was pleased with. The two rather fight here, I think.

I agree on the blood splatter, it somewhat distracts from the freehand.

Awesome build and paint-job combine here for a truly interesting character. Bravo, well done!

About the blood drop on the shin - for me the thing that makes it collide with the blood splatters is the fact that the blood drop is is trying to imitate a 3D look (a Trompe-l'oeil - illusionist painting?). I would consider making it a flat icon-mark instead, which you could then paint over with the blood splatter.
While it is a nice bow towards the original sculpt, this type of painting is nowhere else present on the mini (apart from the banner), which makes it a bit awkward. 

Excellent work on the Apothecary.

Kind of you to say, thanks.

Very crisp work on the Apothecary.  White armor is really tough to pull off!

I am of two minds regarding the blood drop marking on the leg. It is very RT and fits the theme but IMO it is a bit too pristine ( and a bit off center ? ). But that is just me... it is really just nitpicky to say that about an otherwise outstanding feature.

BTW Shame on me for believing that you would miss a detail like the Moirae Schism. Actually, double shame since I looked up the AM inloads some time ago and totally forgot about it :sad.:

Guess I just thought it odd not to find any obvious reference on the Techmarine post. Sorry!   

Not at all! Despite rumours to the contrary, I'm not omniscient (at least, not yet...), so it's always good to have other angles and ideas brought in :)

Thanks for the kind words about the apothecary. I'm pretty confident that the marking is central with the shin – but agree that it does look off. I think it's a combination of the base sculpt's odd pose (I used the Dark Angels Master, and his lower leg is kicked out a little) and the trompe-l'oeil effect of the highlighting.

The apothecary is excellent, well done on the white armour. The banner's freehand and the blue jewel are great as well.

The pose is a marked improvement and conveys a lot of confidence. Very good.

If I may offer some small criticism, the left greave seems a little wonky (pushing inwards), although that could be accentuated by the camera angle.  

+SNIP+

I agree on the blood splatter, it somewhat distracts from the freehand.

Thanks StratoKhan. As I note above, the base sculpt has an odd pose – but that doesn't really excuse me accentuating and highlighting it!  :D

Awesome build and paint-job combine here for a truly interesting character. Bravo, well done!

About the blood drop on the shin - for me the thing that makes it collide with the blood splatters is the fact that the blood drop is is trying to imitate a 3D look (a Trompe-l'oeil - illusionist painting?). I would consider making it a flat icon-mark instead, which you could then paint over with the blood splatter.

While it is a nice bow towards the original sculpt, this type of painting is nowhere else present on the mini (apart from the banner), which makes it a bit awkward. 

Very kind; thanks Majkhel. It's probably a mark of knowing when to stop – I should have left things as they were in the first image, rather than adding the blood drop (never liked it on the original, either!)

Coming up next:

xa.jpg

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Imperial Aphorism

Lovely. The skull has a truly disturbing effect that I feel many chaplain skulls do not which is also enhanced by the silver. Compared to his kin, he seems a grotesque gargoyle and wise elder with his stance of measured restraint. The shortening of the Phobos barrel is really nice, the level of detail that enhances the conversion. :)