WarriorFish's Evil Space Elves

WarriorFish

Thanks a lot guys, I agree on the black gun too after looking at the model again this morning :) I've never really got on with silvery colours for some reason, what colour would look best? A black wash might make it a little too dark, should I think about a blue perhaps?

Are the little tubes at the back supposed to be drug vials? Never figured them out, but maybe I should give them a bit of something different too.

For Dark Eldar silver parts, try shading with purples or blues, it might add more visual interest than, say, nuln oil.

I'm thinking of a thinned blue wash to target the recesses more, I'll give it a go and see how it looks.

gallery_30308_13718_47085.jpg

I don't think the green on the vials worked at all but it was worth a try, I think I'll replace it with a more normal green (Dark Angels to Loren, perhaps?). Should I extend the silver and blue wash to the other bits like the chain and knife too? The head and hair seems to look rather flat in this picture but they're not in real life :tongue.:

Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas :smile.:

Yeah I think a different colour than green for the vials. Red or blue or something. See how it goes with the blue wash but I'd say see how it looks on the gun first, don't want to risk over doing it.

I reckon you should perhaps work on the base next, see how it interacts with the colour scheme you have as it stands?

That's an idea that could be worth exploring to keep the green. I'm still stumped on what to do on them so I'm going to leave them as the last thing. Worst comes to it I can still paint models and come back to them when I've got something :smile.:

I got some more done last night, starting on the base too:

gallery_30308_13718_4470.jpg

The left base has the intended colour, I decided to keep it simple with just the Ironearth thinner texture for the first model. I will mix it up with the thicker Ironcrust and water on future models. I've also applied a thinned blue wash to the Ironbreaker to get the gun done, I think it works well :smile.: Last and hopefully not least I managed a better close up image of the head and hair so you can see that it does have some depth :tongue.: You can also make out the drug feed bit too, I'm not sure if that could do with something else - maybe needs to match the vials when I settle on them?

Looking good! Would definitely like to see the proper colour on the base for the full effect. The blue wash is subtle and looks awesome so that was a great success :tu:

Not a fan of the shiny drug feed if I'm honest but that's just my personal taste so not a problem if you stick with it :)

That's an idea that could be worth exploring to keep the green. I'm still stumped on what to do on them so I'm going to leave them as the last thing. Worst comes to it I can still paint models and come back to them when I've got something :)

I got some more done last night, starting on the base too:

gallery_30308_13718_4470.jpg

The left base has the intended colour, I decided to keep it simple with just the Ironearth thinner texture for the first model. I will mix it up with the thicker Ironcrust and water on future models. I've also applied a thinned blue wash to the Ironbreaker to get the gun done, I think it works well :) Last and hopefully not least I managed a better close up image of the head and hair so you can see that it does have some depth :P You can also make out the drug feed bit too, I'm not sure if that could do with something else - maybe needs to match the vials when I settle on them?

I actually prefer the unfinished base, it looks darker :) That blue shade turned out quite well, it works. Right now, the model as a whole looks pretty solid. But to take it further, I think you should start adding in a few selective highlights

Thanks Yllithian, I was thinking of picking out the shoulder, knee and arms with some Screaming Skull but I'll see how it all comes together. Martian Ironearth/crust is nice but I think it looks a bit naked without something, plus "out of the tin" feels lazy now :P It's the drug bits that are causing me problems currently, but I think I might go for a light blue blend. Should work with the blue already present on the silver but as mentioned I might get a better idea when the rest of the model is complete :)

• 2 weeks later...

After some delays due to being busy I've got the "first draft" complete!

gallery_30308_13718_9876.jpg

The blue didn't go very well as a repaint, so I'm not sure about that yet. I think perhaps a simpler blue approach might be better? Or maybe even a different colour I'm not sure. I'll do a different wash on the base too, make it a little brighter but all things I can work on with future models. Good thing about the basing scheme is that I can carry some of the brushing up on the model's feet to give a dusty look too so it works well I think :smile.:

I really like the hair so I'm tempted to give it to everyone, but then I'd miss out on the fun of having lots of weird and wonderful colours :laugh.: The floor is open to ideas as always but I think I've got it for the core scheme, which conveniently gives me next week to prepare some models for a Xeno Files vow :wink:

Yeah I'm not keen on that blue. If you want to keep the blue as a colour maybe use normal paints? Paint them as you would lenses, works fine for the millions of blood drops and vials I have to paint as a Blood Angels player :P

The rest of it though is looking great! I wouldn't change a thing now, the new scheme really looks loads better. I agree the base could use a little tweaking but I'm not quite sure what. Maybe a tuft of Mordheim grass?