WarriorFish's Evil Space Elves

WarriorFish

As part of Xeno Files I've assembled my Mandrakes. This is a threshold event as it involved opening some cellophane :P Somehow I ended up with three of the same poses but I mixed them up a bit with weapon swaps.

gallery_30308_13718_23902.jpg

These are both originals, hence the white primer. I'll fix them up a bit and they can join in. I'm thinking of a different colour for the Sslyth, maybe give him yellow or red scales?

gallery_30308_13718_13823.jpg

Thanks guys :biggrin.: I searched online for lizard colours and found an Agama (or something) which I thought looked rather cool but I was expecting for it to go wrong and repaint him all red... It wasn't too hard, did some blending between the colours and took the washes and drybrushing up/down over the other colour some and it turned out nicely :smile.:

I did want to do a yellow but that could be too similar to the armour, as I'm enjoying it so much I might get a second (I seem to collect a DE model and order a new at the moment...). Perhaps an orange for the second?

I think so, especially if the yellow is on the tail so it's not so close to the bone armour. I think green to orange could also work, I'd need to check out some real life examples (assuming there are some?).

Regarding the weapon swaps I recommend some pinning to help secure them, it's quick on softer resin too so not much extra effort.

I am thinking of tropical frogs that have green and orange. They don't seem threatening but maybe some our poisonous? I remember when the DE got the reboot a few years back someone painted their army orange after some kind of lizard. Something about the more bright color they are the more poisonous they are. I do not know a ton about reptiles but it sounded cool.

Yeah, pinning should be a breeze between the plastic and the soft resin.

Coming along splendidly! Like seeing the weather on his tail. Or near the end of his tail. When you are mostly serpentine is your whole body technically a tail?

And I know what you mean about those lighter evenings. I love it when the sun sets around 20:30-21:00...not so much when its around 18:00.

Thanks chaps :) The Sslyth has turned out better than I ever expected, unfortunately my week off has evaporated to various things but I finally have some time today and tomorrow where I will aim to get as much DE painted as I can :D

I'm giving up on the drug bits for the moment. I tried a glaze and it didn't work so for now I'm going to ignore it and focus on getting models done. It won't be difficult to go back to them to finish once I sort something out :tu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here we go, short of the side basing (which I've put under revision for now) they're done:

gallery_30308_13718_30296.jpg

Their skin markings are done with a metallic paint but too subtle for these pictures unfortunately.

gallery_30308_13718_37270.jpg

Last bits for the Sslyth done :smile.:

gallery_30308_13718_15529.jpg

The Lhamaean is where the photo quality really doesn't do any justice, she looks much better in real life!

So that's my Xeno Files vow complete, not a moment too soon either. Though the Mandrakes have sat all but done for a few weeks as I caught up elsewhere so I made a meal out of it :tongue.: I really need to strip down my existing models to bring them up to par on the new scheme before I work on anything else, or I'll have lots of models and no army to field with them :laugh.:

Very small addition, it's no trouble to take the dry brushing up the model a bit - sometimes the little things can make all the difference :smile.: Some of the colours worked better than others but I have another five Mandrakes to get round to so other washes will get their turn :tongue.:

I will try to take better pictures, but with the thin and recessed nature of the skin markings I'm not sure I'll be able to pick them up properly.