WarriorFish's Evil Space Elves

WarriorFish

Seeing some daylight has given me better pictures, though the low sun doesn't help :tongue.: Here's my official group shot to complete my Xenos Files obligations:

gallery_30308_13718_167551.jpg

I don't expect to win anything, but hopefully one of these pictures helps show the metallic on the Mandrake's skin markings:

gallery_30308_13718_152682.jpg

Now I've had some time with them I'm thinking about having the bases black. It'd be unlike all my other armies but might work better? While I'm planning on redoing my existing models I do have five Scourges mostly built and primed white so perhaps they can be a DE project in the meantime...

Thanks Legionnaire, as I already got my second box by then I knew I'd need to try and give them some variety. As I give the Warriors and Wyches etc different hair colours so it seemed like a good idea as the methods are the same too :smile.: I feel like with this week my hobby mojo has returned so I'm thinking I'll get round to the Scourges sooner than I initially thought.

Plus with the Daemons codex coming out now and the Thousand Sons one announced I'd like to try and be ahead of the curve for once :tongue.: If I can get a 500pts army ready for when the codex arrives I'd consider it a great success :laugh.:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing some "foundation work" on my DE currently, which involved digging this model out:

gallery_30308_13718_31897.jpg

She's my first DE model, where I originally went with Rotting Flesh. That paint went I think, which is why my scheme changed a bit (at least, so I remember?). An attempt at stripping her didn't go very well as you can see but she won't be forgotten :smile.:

• 3 months later...

I've finally got round to a flick through on the codex, so I'm pondering which Obsessions would suit best. I want to use Lelith so I'm probably set on my Wyche Cult there, but it's not a bad bonus so I'll see how that goes. For my Kabal I'm unsure, I was thinking I could default to the Black Heart which I may stick to as the others don't really jump out at me :confused: I don't plan on loading up on Fly units so that wouldn't fit the (nameless!) Kabal for example.

I have all my models stripped and sitting in a tub waiting, so there's not a great rush. I reckon my focus will be fairly heavily Wyche Cult, probably two Patrols for them, but with the chunk of points on Kabal. I want to get my Scourges going along with the Mandrakes, got a Razorwing I want to paint up too. The bomber came out after my initial collection but that's another model I fancy painting up.

So many plans, so little time... I do have an Archon now too, so that hole has finally been filled at least :laugh.:

Cult of strife is probably the weakest wych cult bonus, but at the same time it gives you a decent stratagem, access to Lelith and actually benefits all the wych cult units fairly equally, with the other two obsessions don't. Especially if you want to use Lelith I'd go for it. 

You say you don't want to load up on fly units, but how can you not? All our vehicles are flying, if you take any kabalite warriors in raiders/venoms flayed skull is an awesome trait. Granted I also just love the image of massed kabalites swarming around in raiders/venoms, so flayed skull was always the kabal obsession for me. I don't like black heart though, it's pretty eh for kabalites so I'd say go poisoned tongue or obsidian rose, depending on which of those bonuses you prefer. 

Looking forward to seeing those newly stripped models painted up again. 

More of I don't see the Kabal as a bunch of flyboys, and still have nightmares about trying to transport Raiders without breaking them (and I've not even painted one yet...). There will be plenty of Scourges and some Reavers fear not, but I want to try out infantry first. I expect I will branch out into some transports but it's not high on my agenda. Plus I need the troops to put into the transports anyway :laugh.: Either way I've not settled on the Obsessions yet, and as I have two Succubi I won't always run Lelith so still to play for!

There's some repair work needed on the stripped models, and I've got to clean up the last little bits of paint that escaped so I'm thinking that aiming to have them ready to paint once I've got some Daemons finished is a good plan. If the weather is going to be good over Summer as it is now then I may be able to get quite a bit of painting done :biggrin.:

More of I don't see the Kabal as a bunch of flyboys, and still have nightmares about trying to transport Raiders without breaking them (and I've not even painted one yet...).

Magnets! (How do they work!?)

Many people magnetize various parts of the Raiders so they can be partly disassembled for travel or storage. Alternatively, just magnetize the base and stick it in a metal box. I transport my whole Dark Eldar army that way.

Seeing some daylight has given me better pictures, though the low sun doesn't help :tongue.: Here's my official group shot to complete my Xenos Files obligations:

gallery_30308_13718_167551.jpg

I don't expect to win anything, but hopefully one of these pictures helps show the metallic on the Mandrake's skin markings:

gallery_30308_13718_152682.jpg

Now I've had some time with them I'm thinking about having the bases black. It'd be unlike all my other armies but might work better? While I'm planning on redoing my existing models I do have five Scourges mostly built and primed white so perhaps they can be a DE project in the meantime...

I think the black bases actually tie together quite nicely with the black skin. It actually adds a bit of sophistication in the "less is more" way.

It'll be a case of the old boot box and bubble wrap too. Not ideal, but better than broken bits :smile.:

My DE might be the first army I do properly by getting the line troops done first (CSM started out well, but are veering into treadhead now...) :tongue.: I'm definitely taking "sophisticated" too :wink:

It will be too soon for me to have anything ready for the ETL, I'm away early May too. At least without drifting further from a table top ready force which as mentioned I want to avoid! That aside as Lord Commissar I am honour bound to vow for the Guard - I should be able to muster a couple of vows there.

No rest for the wicked I'm afraid. Or rather not enough time to paint all the models I want to :laugh.:

• 2 years later...

Almost exactly two years later... after clearing my hobby decks so I'm free to focus on a few active projects at a time I've been thinking about my DE for a while, and with recent activity here I have been inspired to do more than think. I've prepared the Kabalite Warriors squad so they're ready for repainting :smile.:

gallery_30308_13718_47665.jpg

I did consider checking my old pictures to match the arms and poses but thought that it doesn't actually matter. Though as it turns out I seem to have replicated them entirely? Painting these up will be nice and different to my recent projects, after these I have a squad of Wyches and the metal Succubus to repaint.

These weren't too bad for cleaning up after their Dettol bath, but the Wyches are more fiddle so will require more reassembly and I'll need to source a few new arms after fragile blades broke but it'll only need doing once after all.

Some decent progress today, good to be making it :smile.: The armour is done on the first five:

gallery_30308_13718_57974.jpg

It'll be better when I'm done on the repaint as the stripping wasn't entirely kind to the models given the age of the paint job, but I also realised it's time to throw my Ushabti Bone pot out. I have another don't worry :tongue.: Following on from the proof model a few years ago I've also mixed up a couple of pots of 1:1 Lahmian Medium to Agrax Earthshade so I can produce them to the bone stage relatively quickly :smile.:

I might be getting to the Wyches sooner than I though, but that got me thinking. They donn't need to be the same scheme and in fact, they probably shouldn't be? Here we go again then, back on the paint scheme bike... :laugh.: I'd like to get a Talos or Chronos done soon too, so I should think about the Covens too. Any ideas?

I have 21 models needing repainting; the Warriors, Wyches and the metal Succubus posted previously. She's much cleaner after the dunk but suffered a bit of damage so I'll need to see what I can do - I have the plastic model if all fails. I'll be good and finish the repainting before starting on new models :smile.:

DE are split into Kabals, Cults, and Covens they're quite separate compared to other armies. An Archon preparing for a real space raid sort of enlists them, with promises of plunder and such so they're not the same army and don't really fight under a banner as others would. It's a good excuse to do something different and really make the army stand out on the table top.

I'm thinking that all the Raiders and such should stay in the Kabal colours to make things simpler. Though perhaps one or two in the Wyche Cult colours for variety... I'll need to see. The only Coven units I have currently are a couple of Talos/Chronos but if I remember right they might not be tied to a Coven Detachment, so should be Kabal Colours? I'll reread the codex before I get to further assembly.

In the meantime, Wyche Cult colours - I'm thinking something bright. An orange or perhaps blue?

I think I'm quite taken with the orange idea, but I need to think about how it'll work with my Kabal colours and make sure they work. Speaking of, bone is now done on the Warriors :smile.:

gallery_30308_13718_6459.jpg

Enjoying it so far (especially knowing that non-rescued models will be less hassle!), once the metal is done as the next "main" colour they'll be almost there - just the various details and bases.

Passing by with a few thoughts having reread the codex. I think I might go for the Kabal of the Obsidian Rose obsession, something different and the extra 6" range seems nice. For Wyches probably Cult of Strife as I have Lelith and want to use her. As for Covens I've not got that far yet, maybe an excuse to try crafting my own.

Speaking of forming lists, how do people feel about Raiding Force Patrol Detachment armies? Aside from getting the three gangs together it gives you 4CP which isn't bad (well, 3 if you count the Alliance of Agony Stratagem to give all three HQs a Warlord trait which you're almost certainly taking). I'm not sure how good it is if you're looking for larger games, but in this case you probably have points for a Kabal Battalion if you want more slots? Would give you plenty of CPs to play with on top.

As mentioned I have a couple of the Talos/Chronos kits which I'm keen to use, so for best use probably keep the HQ and Troop cheap for the Coven? For the transports, I've realised that at least one per Wyche squad is essential so at least that many in cult colours but all things in time.

While we're on colour schemes, Scourges and Incubi are "Blades for Hire" so technically don't have a Kabal or anyone else's ties but from what I see most paint them in Kabal colours? Is there any standard or lore I'm missing? If not I might use it as an excuse for different colour schemes if I fancy it.

Had a play in the new and (mostly) improved Battlescribe to create something to aim for. A fair few models for 750pts but somewhat lacking in AT, all journeys start somewhere however! I reviewed the custom Coven options and they weren't very inspiring unfortunately so for now sticking to Prophets of Flesh as a working default (though their obsession seems good?).

Hidden Content
+++ DE First 750 (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [6CP, 750pts] +++

++ Patrol Detachment (Aeldari - Drukhari) [279pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Type: Prophets of Flesh

+ HQ +

Haemonculus [75pts]: Haemonculus tools, Master Artisan, Stinger Pistol

+ Troops +

Wracks [45pts]
. Acothyst: Haemonculus tools
. 4x Wracks: 4x Haemonculus Tools

+ Heavy Support +

Cronos [60pts]
. Cronos

Talos [99pts]
. Talos: Macro-Scalpel, Macro-Scalpel
. . Two Haywire Blasters: 2x Haywire blaster

++ Patrol Detachment (Aeldari - Drukhari) [270pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Type: Cult of Strife

+ HQ +

Succubus [50pts]: Archite Glaive, Quicksilver Fighter, Splinter pistol

+ Troops +

Wyches [80pts]
. Hekatrix: Hekatarii blade, Splinter pistol
. 9x Wych: 9x Hekatarii blade, 9x Splinter Pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Scourges [60pts]
. 4x Scourge w/ shardcarbine: 4x Shardcarbine
. Solarite: Shardcarbine

+ Dedicated Transport +

Raider [80pts]: Dark Lance

++ Patrol Detachment (Aeldari - Drukhari) [6CP, 201pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment Type: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose

Raiding Force [4CP]

+ Stratagems +

Alliance of Agony [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Archon [61pts]: Huskblade, Soulthirst, Splinter pistol, The Armor of Misery, Warlord

+ Troops +

Kabalite Warriors [70pts]
. 8x Kabalite Warrior: 8x Splinter Rifle
. Kabalite warrior with Heavy Weapon: Splinter Cannon
. Sybarite: Splinter Rifle

Kabalite Warriors [70pts]
. 8x Kabalite Warrior: 8x Splinter Rifle
. Kabalite warrior with Heavy Weapon: Splinter Cannon
. Sybarite: Splinter Rifle

This is a mix of what I have and want to paint for the moment so should be good enough to get my feet wet when learning and I'm sure I'll dabble with more lists as I progress. I think it shows that a 1,500pts game should be able to accommodate a Kabalite Battalion on top if desired as I plan to have a decent number of Warriors so putting four squads in will be fine (and maybe a cheeky Drazhar in as a Battalion HQ) :smile.:

DE on the mind a lot today, more progress on the Warriors:

gallery_30308_13718_50368.jpg

The blue wash wasn't entirely happy with the repaint but they're mostly fine, might need to replace the Stormhost Silver soon too. I should get these finished this week and then move on to the Wyches.

I think I'm set on the orange, but not sure on what colours would be best. Probably do a straight replace of the bone, maybe just a plain wash on top rather than mixed?

Thanks, I might revisit some of the metal bits for a bit more blue as I wasn't sure how much to apply but progress is good. I think I can remember how I did the bases, but a good excuse to experiment a bit maybe.

I'll do the green next for cloth and straps and the odd bones, need to find a colour for the odd extra bits like the rings and other extra details. I'm thinking of a darker bronze or brass for these? So not much at all before only the base is left :smile.:

Looks like I need to sort the Wyche Cult scheme sooner than expected :tongue.:

These are so goodman, echoing what other people said with the bone armour, you don't see enough of it these days and with the blue-ish silver makes for a absolutely lovely scheme.

As for Coven and Cult schemes, I used to think the same way as you: They're seperate organisations so they should have different schemes  but I'm now firmly in the opposite camp. For me the Archons and Kabals pay the other two to join them in raids and I imagine they're of the opinion that they are to take the Kabal's colours for their endeavour. I pay your wages/give you fresh test subjects so you'll act and dress like someone from my organisation, sort of mentality. Neither of these ways of thinking are wrong and neither have really been established as definite truths so it's totally down to personal opinion.

List wise, it definitely depends on what you want to run, e.g. if you're leaning heavily into any of the three sects, I would run a battalion of the main group and then other detachments off of that. For example I will be running a Kabal Battalion with a Wych cult outrider as I have a load of Hellions and bikes but no Wyches (yet). Transports are definitely down to personal opinion but IMO, all Kabalite and Wych Troops need to be in Transports They don't have the range or durability of armies like Space marines where they can walk up the board. Obviously this is also down to model count, everyone getting transports gets sore for the old wallet :sweat:

Thanks, the effort with everyone at the start of this topic to nail it down was worthwhile :smile.: This is why I want to keep the Wyche scheme at least broadly the same, but I want to make my DE a bit different to my other armies and their strong themes. The problem is as you've noted the transports... though there's nothing wrong with borrowing one from the Kabal. It's not just the cost of getting all of them, but the transport also - I have a Raider from the original start (Rotting Flesh base colour) but unfortunately it has not done so well and will probably need converting into a terrain piece :confused:

It may not be an army issue in the end, as the chances are strong that each Troop choice realistically means a matching transport. For Wyches definitely so, unless you're happy with expensive meat shields :tongue.: My initial thoughts were that with Obsidian Rose's Obsession there's a bit more scope for foot starting out. I don't think Raiders are particularly quick to build and paint!

I will cross the transport bridge when I get to it I suppose, they're not much good without squads to put in after all :tongue.: Plus as I have a good number of Hellions and Reavers I could potentially partially avoid the question :laugh.:

That's a thought, I should probably do a proper inventory of my DE models. I know I have no need for new models, but if I want to be planning lists and projects I need specifics. Perhaps the pile of shame getting numbers will provide extra motivation!