Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

I wasn't implying it was jammed, but that it was out of ammo.

I do really like Bjorn's idea. I was thinking of orientation too, that side has to go up because the other side is messier from chopping off the hand while trying to retain the grip. This is to get the idea off. Trust me I think of the details. I was even thinking of moving the tab that is the Bolt Carrier Group to the back if I hollowed out the mag well to show it locked in place when empty (as most modern firearms do).

I could add a chain sword that is lodged into it... My concern is that I know have a lot of stuff jammed onto a 32mm base. I could cut the chain sword down so that only a stub of the end is on the base. That would then tell the story of the marine cutting it in two as he made space with his enemy to draw and fire his pistol. I could take a piece from one of my son's Lychguard sprues... hrm... given that we're getting into KT together it might make thematic sense for my KT to have necron bits on their bases...

Edited by thewarriorhunter

The weapon is lying in a perfectly reasonable spot.

Consider the right hand secures the weapon by the pistol grip and the left hand usually grasps it by the furniture that's built up around the barrel.   If you ran out of ammo and had to draw your back up weapon, the first thing you'd let go of is the pistol grip. which would free your dominant (right) hand to immediately draw your pistol.  If you wanted to retain custody of your rifle, you'd keep it in your left hand, grasped, again, by the furniture around the barrel, which is not only the default place to hold it after you let go of the pistol grip, but also the natural center of gravity of the weapon (or close enough to it).

Now then, and here's the key; once you realized you were out of ammo, or, for whatever other reason, realized you had to drop the rifle to draw your power sword, you would have dropped it from the left hand.  Thus, the position it's lying on the base is perfectly logical and reasonable with the assumption of a left-hand drop from a forward carry/tactical position

I appreciate the technical detail and analysis because I had similar thoughts go through my head.

Ultimately I can place it however because: in the swirling din that is a close range firefight the rifle would not be dropped statically. The marine would be moving during all of this and depending on what direction/level of force was being applied that will affect the final position. I could take a rifle and drop it straight down on the stock 10 times and we'll probably have 10 different positions from minor nuances of lean angle.

On another note I got the second AGL mostly done last night. I need to clean it up and sand a few edges down but I was waiting for the glue to set before I did any of that.

OK. As much as I LOVE the idea of the damaged bolt rifle I think it will be too much for the base. Maybe if it was on a 40mm I would feel better about it. I think I may go for this look here:

Hidden Content
N3R6jFP.jpg

Hidden Content
txUNCYc.jpg

Hidden Content
bPIToXt.jpg

I watched some scale modeling videos and think I'll be able to build a sling out of masking tape or foil. I'll remove the magazine so the weapon appears empty.

In a FB group I've been posting in I had several replies of Marines being able to Mag-lock their rifles to their armor. I've only read a handful of books and that hasn't come up yet. I'm wondering if I should forego the sling and stick to lore or if a sling would help with the overall presentation...

In the "Dark Imperium" they mention the primaris marines mag locking bolters on to their armor and I know in "Faith and Fire" the Celestians for the adepta Sororitas do it too.  I think they drop the empty mag and leave it be. Littler Bugs!

Edited by war009

Mag locking is definitely a thing, although I think a sling would look the best as it looks more realistic.

Bjorn’s onto something. Implying a Bolter would jam is heresy, so being made damaged in battle makes sense.

I’d maybe think about how it’s oriented next to the marine. It seems an odd way to land if he’s dropped it.

Have you played Space Hulk? :wink:

Not since I was 11! (Hint, that was early nineties)

WarriorHunter, If you go down foil/tape slings and you’re happy with it it’s be good to get a how-to. I’ve made them out of green stuff: sling loose from the rifle is easy and looks good; slung over the shoulder I found much harder.

Rolling pin came in, looks awesome and I am stoked about the detail that's in it.

Coffee cup for scale:

Hidden Content
lQaEosf.jpg

Hidden Content
9sBAm8X.jpg

It's big enough that I could do a knight base, which might happen since the story that I am creating in my head has the Spectral Sicarii running across a knight in their adventures...

Have you played Space Hulk? :wink:

SERGIO's BOLTER is Jammed.....Every freaking time Sergio Every freaking time

I even gave him a Heavy Flamer and he still yelled "Sergio's bolter is jammed" :huh.:

Mag-lock?  Did anyone think Starcom or was it just me ...

Lol