New releases for Dark Angels

Chaplain Raeven

I think the stratagem will simply state DEATHWING keyword. No more, no less.

I'm a bit disappointed with stratagem. Yes, it's fluffy, but... I don't want any space wolves. It's too damn specific.

The only use is to use one of your regular primaris dudes as a sacrificial sheep to inflict mortal wound to SW warlord on the first turn boosting him... so basically it's useless. Other thing -- try to kill basic wolf dude and boosting your warlord or character, if you have apothecary then this wound could be returned. That's better. But still we have only one SW dude in the meta and this stratagem just ate the space for precious other stratagem... disappointed.

Edit: haven't seen "before the battle".

Edited by Komodo

I'm a bit disappointed with stratagem. Yes, it's fluffy, but... I don't want any space wolves. It's too damn specific.

The only use is to use one of your regular primaris dudes as a sacrificial sheep to inflict mortal wound to SW warlord on the first turn boosting him... so basically it's useless. Other thing -- try to kill basic wolf dude and boosting your warlord or character, if you have apothecary then this wound could be returned. That's better. But still we have only one SW dude in the meta and this stratagem just ate the space for precious other stratagem... disappointed.

Also, tje stratagem works on YOUR space solves infantry units. Would not work to injure ypur opponent

There are plenty of poor or mediocre stratagems. This, at least, is incredibly fluffy. Is it an edge case? Sure, but then so is the hellfire round or datalink telemetry or any other stratagem tied to a specific unit or formation that not everyone will use.

I love the SW stratagem they showed in the blog post!

Now I can run the wolf commander from Burning of Prospero as a Lone Wolf in my DA army and actually get some strategic value out of that.

At least for fun and narrative games that is.

I love the SW stratagem they showed in the blog post!

Now I can run the wolf commander from Burning of Prospero as a Lone Wolf in my DA army and actually get some strategic value out of that.

At least for fun and narrative games that is.

Well it's OK I guess for a narrative games, but within more competitive gaming -- lose 1 CP because of auxiliary detachment, spend 75 points on Lone Wolf and then burn another CP just for the sake of fluffiness and minor boost... I think not worth it even in narrative play. 

Edited by Komodo

Reading the WD battle report today it describes a warlord trait that allows you to regain CPs so you may be able to use them a little more freely than you might think.

What I also hopr, is that the Ravenwing Black Knight grenade launcher gets an update. In its current form, it's rather forgettable. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us have already forgotten it's existence :D

I still have a box I need to assemble, hoping it gets some rules for the launcher. If not, I'll just make two more Knights and an apothecary. Apothecaries are amazing on bikes! You can get around quicker, advance and still shoot, get an invulnerable save whilst doing so, and heal stuff up. Yes please!

This is likely only one of 28 Dark Angels stratagems, and I wouldn't be surprised if it will be FAQ'd to only allow *basic* Infantry models, not Azrael and Logan Grimnar (which is very much NOT fluffy).

Assuming our new Deathwing variants will have the same wargear options as in Codex: Space Marines and only the addition of the Deathwing ability, how do we see them being useful? I feel like there are some edge cases where Tartaros can be good, but the slow movement and lack of any significant ranged weapons leaves a lot to be desired from Cataphracti.

This is likely only one of 28 Dark Angels stratagems, and I wouldn't be surprised if it will be FAQ'd to only allow *basic* Infantry models, not Azrael and Logan Grimnar (which is very much NOT fluffy).

Yeah, it's only one stratagem, but it's still a waste because it's such a specific edge case. I'm sure we'll get cool combined arms RW + DW style stratagems, but this one is still lame. I agree that it should be errata'd to exclude named characters, but for the time being those are the better recipients of the stratagem because of their higher wound count.

Also Komodo, you appear to have read this stratagem as working against an opponent Space Wolf, which it doesn't. It's only if your list includes DA and SW and you have 1 CP to spare.

Assuming our new Deathwing variants will have the same wargear options as in Codex: Space Marines and only the addition of the Deathwing ability, how do we see them being useful? I feel like there are some edge cases where Tartaros can be good, but the slow movement and lack of any significant ranged weapons leaves a lot to be desired from Cataphracti.

Agreed. I don't see either the tartaros or cataphracti as being useful additions. I'm happy for those players who were looking forward to using the models, but I won't be adding them. My indomitus suits have a hard enough time getting a game and their mixed squads and heavy weapons are the only thing making them useful.

Yeah, it's only one stratagem, but it's still a waste because it's such a specific edge case. I'm sure we'll get cool combined arms RW + DW style stratagems, but this one is still lame. I agree that it should be errata'd to exclude named characters, but for the time being those are the better recipients of the stratagem because of their higher wound count.

Also Komodo, you appear to have read this stratagem as working against an opponent Space Wolf, which it doesn't. It's only if your list includes DA and SW and you have 1 CP to spare.

Agreed. I don't see either the tartaros or cataphracti as being useful additions. I'm happy for those players who were looking forward to using the models, but I won't be adding them. My indomitus suits have a hard enough time getting a game and their mixed squads and heavy weapons are the only thing making them useful.

I have been underwhelmed by terminator heavy weapons in 8th. Cataphractii with single claws and combi-bolters seem pretty solid to me. They will be cheap, can hold their own in a fight, and have 4++ built-in. I plan to deep strike mine on an objective in the midfield and make use of grim resolve (assuming they have it).

I have been underwhelmed by terminator heavy weapons in 8th. Cataphractii with single claws and combi-bolters seem pretty solid to me. They will be cheap, can hold their own in a fight, and have 4++ built-in. I plan to deep strike mine on an objective in the midfield and make use of grim resolve (assuming they have it).

Whatever blows your skirt up. To me that's pretty low damage output and survivability with no obsec for ~200 points, but as I said, I'm happy for you if you want to include them.

I agree that termie heavy weapons aren't great, but I've gotten some use out of CMLs. As ever, YMMV.

Whatever blows your skirt up. To me that's pretty low damage output and survivability with no obsec for ~200 points, but as I said, I'm happy for you if you want to include them.

I agree that termie heavy weapons aren't great, but I've gotten some use out of CMLs. As ever, YMMV.

CMLs are ok, but ridiculously expensive. You could have a CML, or you could add an extra knight to a unit of DWKs.

I think we will gain access to cataphractii (including the captain), tartaros, lieutenants, contemptors, scout bikes, hunters, stalkers, land speeder storm, Stormhawk, and stormraven.

Sternguard and vanguard are highly unlikely. Storm Talon is iffy since we have similar aircraft already. However, I would not be surprised to see it added since we are getting the Stormhawk and they are the same kit.

Essentially, it seems that they are reserving Thunderfires, Centurions (it makes sense considering the name), and Ironclad for Ultramarines (codex chapters). Those are their equivalents to Ravenwing Knights, Deathwing Knights, Land speeder Vengeance, and Dark Shrouds.

I'm thinking when the announcement was first made, what units were mentioned had more to do with what the Blood Angels already have/don't have than with us.  BAs already have the Stormraven, so it wasn't mentioned, but they don't have a fighter-interceptor, so the Stormhawk was.  BAs also already have both the Furioso and the Death Company Dreads, both of which have 2 CCWs, making the Ironclad redundant for them, but it wouldn't be for us, so we may see it.

CMLs are ok, but ridiculously expensive. You could have a CML, or you could add an extra knight to a unit of DWKs.

Sure, but that's a completely different battlefield role. My CMLs deepstrike while Belial and take wounds off of transports/light vehicles, my DWKs typically storm up the field with a Land Raider, ancient and Asmodai and punch large targets in the face. I'll be happy with the cost of termie heavy weapons comes down though.

I'm thinking when the announcement was first made, what units were mentioned had more to do with what the Blood Angels already have/don't have than with us.  BAs already have the Stormraven, so it wasn't mentioned, but they don't have a fighter-interceptor, so the Stormhawk was.  BAs also already have both the Furioso and the Death Company Dreads, both of which have 2 CCWs, making the Ironclad redundant for them, but it wouldn't be for us, so we may see it.

I'm hoping that's the logic that went into the announcement because it means we stand a chance of getting the Stormraven, which is the only vanilla SM unit I want. I'm not super confident though.

Yeah, if we can add the Land Speeder Storm and Stormraven to the list of things they told us today, I will have only two reasons to ever look at using the standard marine codex (Thunderfire and characters).

Sure, but that's a completely different battlefield role. My CMLs deepstrike while Belial and take wounds off of transports/light vehicles, my DWKs typically storm up the field with a Land Raider, ancient and Asmodai and punch large targets in the face. I'll be happy with the cost of termie heavy weapons comes down though.

I'm thinking when the announcement was first made, what units were mentioned had more to do with what the Blood Angels already have/don't have than with us. BAs already have the Stormraven, so it wasn't mentioned, but they don't have a fighter-interceptor, so the Stormhawk was. BAs also already have both the Furioso and the Death Company Dreads, both of which have 2 CCWs, making the Ironclad redundant for them, but it wouldn't be for us, so we may see it.

I'm hoping that's the logic that went into the announcement because it means we stand a chance of getting the Stormraven, which is the only vanilla SM unit I want. I'm not super confident though.

Unfortunately, assault cannons are going up a point, everything else is the same. A shame really, heavy flamers are in no way worth 17 points for terminators considering they can't shoot on deep strike. Assault cannons, plasma, and cyclones suffer from -1 to hit (which is silly considering terminators used to be relentless). Plus cyclones cost the same as 2 missile launchers, but are more like 1.75 missile launchers since you don't get double shots from the frags. I would say they are worth 40-45 if they had 2d6 frag shots and no -1 to hit. As is, they are mediocre. Unfortunately, they are the best available.

Yeah, if we can add the Land Speeder Storm and Stormraven to the list of things they told us today, I will have only two reasons to ever look at using the standard marine codex (Thunderfire and characters).

Not gonna lie, the possibilities of having the LSS and scout bikes have me quite pleased. 6th was the only time I've been able to semi effectively run tenth company, and Grim Resolve as it is actually helps the sniper elements of the tenth quite a bit. I'll just have to see what bike HQs we have left when the dust settles.

Not gonna lie, the possibilities of having the LSS and scout bikes have me quite pleased. 6th was the only time I've been able to semi effectively run tenth company, and Grim Resolve as it is actually helps the sniper elements of the tenth quite a bit. I'll just have to see what bike HQs we have left when the dust settles.

I didnt think about snipers. After my two razor backs, predator and black knights I might get some painted. (At my current painting rate I’ve penciled them in for 2020. If I get a rush on I might have them finished for Dwayne’s inauguration)

Sorry if I’m a bit slow on this one but I have only just noticed the DA chapter symbol on the primaris shoulders is distinctly different to the symbol on the standard upgrade set. (It more like the 30k legion symbol. Oddly it’s also closer to pop goes the monkeys angel legion shoulders)

Preview-Dec3-DAUpgrade1h.jpg

I didnt think about snipers. After my two razor backs, predator and black knights I might get some painted. (At my current painting rate I’ve penciled them in for 2020. If I get a rush on I might have them finished for Dwayne’s inauguration)

You're a Dark Angel, it makes sense to honour The Rock.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, December 4, 2017 - Yeah, flipping the bird gif is not cool.
Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, December 4, 2017 - Yeah, flipping the bird gif is not cool.

You're a Dark Angel, it makes sense to honour The Rock.

Maybe a different Dwayne aka Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho :smile.:

unydJm7.gif

Edited by farfromsam