[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

I'm pretty sure you'll be find at least a handful of fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, brothers, and sisters amongst the soldiers who've lost a loved one and are bloody keen on bloody revenge, SC.

I can already see that in the Syndallian history records. The Peasant Crusade. They will have a marble monument with Tyber leading them over the barricade like in that painting from the French Revolution. The Squad markings will be all wrong and he will look like a Sanguinus without wings....

:)

I'm pretty sure you'll be find at least a handful of fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, brothers, and sisters amongst the soldiers who've lost a loved one and are bloody keen on bloody revenge, SC.

I can already see that in the Syndallian history records. The Peasant Crusade. They will have a marble monument with Tyber leading them over the barricade like in that painting from the French Revolution. The Squad markings will be all wrong and he will look like a Sanguinus without wings....

:smile.:

:yes::biggrin.:

I think he could live with that.

I'm pretty sure you'll be find at least a handful of fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, brothers, and sisters amongst the soldiers who've lost a loved one and are bloody keen on bloody revenge, SC.

:smile.:

This completes my life.

I bow to your superior imagination and expression sir.  I am also out of likes.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

One more roll:

Past History: Boarding Action

Past History roll: https://orokos.com/roll/692412

How is the Divination as shown in the Index Xenomortis worked out?

Also, would anyone be kind enough to provide any more advice in the Chapter Rules for the Obsidian Glaives? We've already worked out the Chapter Bonuses and Primarch's Curse, but does anybody have any suggestions for the other aspects?

Many thanks.

Character sheet is in progress.

Okay, notes and character abstract sent to Commissar Molotov (crossing fingers it's not completely gibberish); so hope Oto Yang will be boarding a shuttle to a Watch Fortress fairly soon. I'll probably need a bit of hand-holding through the mechanics, so apologies in advance :)

Hi Morovir,

AFAIK the Index Xenomortis Divination applies to a specific talent or stat when rolled up, so for example:

"In darkness cleave to the Emperor" +1 to Navigation (for example) you get a plus one to a test to work out which direction the crew should go when you invoke it if you're lost etc.

Other ones like "Die if you must, but do it unbroken" +1 WP is a permanent Stat boost to your WP.

As to your other Chapter stuff did we work out a chapter demeanour with you yet?  (It doesn't have to directly pull into your Primarch's Curse)...If not that is something to explore certainly, as a codex chapter you're pretty covered for the tactics you use or the type of warfare you prefer.  You might also want to look at personal demeanour as well, is your chap Stoic, Intense etc?

What about his name - that could be a whole line to explore - perhaps he comes from a certain clan or tribe, or does this relate to a prison?  Perhaps the aspirants are only numbers?  They earn their names through redemption?  Prisoner 114-13 must earn his name in humanity in blood...This might have a strong effect on a Techmarine who only talks in numbers?  I'll have a push through the books for a demeanour that may interest you. :yes:

Any thoughts?

Apologist: We have you covered brother. ;)

MR.

Idea:

Chapter Demeanour: Crime and Punishment

A character from the Obsidian Glaives starts with the Talent: Scholastic Lore (Imperial Law) and the Resistance (Radiation) Skill.

A Space Marine of the Glaives is always looking to redeem himself and his determination in this, when it waivers is reinforced by undertaking some form of punishment, be it extra duties, a temporary Oath of Silence (for lying perhaps) etc.  He will always be ready with an idea of criminal wrongdoing or the appropriate penalty for the charge and may sometimes come into conflict with persons who prevent this, as in the Deathwatch, crime can be a tool against the enemies of the Imperium.

The Glaives are not often given to idle chatter and are perhaps more monastic than Penal via their elevation.  They are studious and find solace in working or learning as they did during their incarceration and seek to emulate the Chaplains that brought them their second chance.  As much as they know the law, they also recognise redemption and may be moved on occasion to direct fellows in their errors, towards correction.

The Glaives are dour as a rule and not overly talkative to those outside their Chapter, but as such their discipline is hard to question and their tendency to obedience remarkable.

Just tossing an idea out.

MR.

Morovir:

In terms of starting statistics, I believe we said +5 Toughness and +5 WP.

Mazer's recommendation is that you start with Scholastic Lore (Imperial Lore) and Resistance (Radiation)

I would alter Mazer's demeanour to call it: "Criminal and Punisher" as I think that might work better in terms of trying to "activate" it.

Rules-wise in the short term, I believe that is probably enough, though we do need to think about a Chapter Trapping. It would be easy enough to take something like the Icon of Inspiration or the Purity Focus from the Blood Angels, just reworking it to be some sort of charm or inspirational text kept by the Obsidian Glaives.

In terms of advance tables, it seems best to use the Codex Advance tables (p.20 of Xenomortis) in the short term; I imagine most advances you'd want would be in the Techmarine charts anyway.

Let me know if you need anything else.

@Mol:

I have spent more XP and added Stalwart Defence, Fearless and some characteristic advances - got 100 XP left but I can't add anything for 100 so that will just be lost. Does the sheet look OK? Only thing I am missing is Divination because I have no idea what to do for it :teehee:

For Divination, you need to get a deck of cards and pick one. My interpretation: Suit of the Throne (Imperium) is hearts, suit of the Martian Forge (Mechanicus) is diamonds, suit of the Dark Expanse (Xenos) is clubs, and suit of the Abyss (Chaos) is spades.

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

As Dos says. I typed "online random card" into Google and RANDOM.ORG has a playing card shuffler.

Blackthorn Players:

Can I ask you all to list for me your 1500 XP spend? That's your initial 1000 XP from character creation and the 500XP you were awarded after defending the Temple. I'd like to know the cost and which advancement list you took the skill/talent from.

For an example, with VARVOST:

Initial 1000XP:

-- "No Quarter Given" Deed (500 XP)

- +3WS

- Counter Attack

-- Fearless (500XP) - Flesh Tearers Advancement

500XP:

-- WS Advancement (Simple) - 200XP (Assault Marine)

-- AG Advancement (Simple) - 200XP (Assault Marine)

100XP Remaining

(All Blackthorn characters should have 1500, apart from Greysight who got 1600 and Akkad who got 1400.)

For Divination, you need to get a deck of cards and pick one. My interpretation: Suit of the Throne (Imperium) is hearts, suit of the Martian Forge (Mechanicus) is diamonds, suit of the Dark Expanse (Xenos) is clubs, and suit of the Abyss (Chaos) is spades.

Ooh got Jack of Spades - oddly fitting more Chaos centric stuff for the Traitor Legion despising Red Talon :biggrin.:

edit: where do I put that on the character sheet? Looks like it grants +1 Strength (this guy should have been an Assault Marine he's well strong now lol)

Edited by Reyner

Just put it in the charcter notes. One of my goals is to overhaul the character sheet design slightly (inspired somewhat by what Slips has done on Solastion's sheet. Google Docs makes it a little tricky so I am going to sort it when I have a bit of time!)

Sorry guys been busy/out of it these last few days! Might not be able to get to update my PH before tomorrow nor update sadly but should be able to get my xp expenditures listed here.

For Tyber's XP expenditures:

First 1,000 XP:

Toe to Toe is 200XP (RoB page 83)

Dodge +10 is 200 (from your Chapter Table) (RoB, page 42 No Respite for the Enemy)

Two Weapon Wielder (Melee) is 400 (RoB, page 42 No Respite for the Enemy)

Common Lore (Astartes) is 400, but I would offer it to you for 200 due to the cautionary tales told to you by your Chapter. (As per our discussion on first 1k xp reassignment for Tyber in post #1131 in the OOC thread)

500XP:

Simple WS advance (page 73 Core book)

Simple STR advance (page 73 core book)

100xp unused yet

As an aside, I had to wade through around 46 pages of the OOC thread to find how the first 1k xp got reassigned on Tyber. Talk about a trip back in time!:biggrin.: