[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Reyner: Weirdly, I think the Howling Griffons ones would suit you, except, instead of Word Bearers, it could be Emperor's Children?

Primarch's Curse: Bane of Traitors

Level 1: Dude sees traitors all over the place, is horrible to anyone he thinks is a traitor, -20 willpower test or you beat them up

Level 2: Dude KNOWS there are traitors everywhere.  Go for any mission where you beat up the EC.  You hunt under every rock for them, will go to any lengths to find them and beat them up even if it puts your squadmates in danger

Level 3: Dude is SURROUNDED by traitors! Goes out of his way to fight CSM/EC, will not stop beating them up, will leave men to die to beat up more of them.  Possibly starts cutting ears off.

How's that sound?

Slips: "Anytime..."

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Character sheet for Epistolary Guillermo is about done. I think there might be one or two changes that will need to be added in, but for now he's done. I've been thumbing around a lot with the concept for this character during the Character creation process so I'm excited to share what I have with you guys soon :)

Sun Reaver: 

Based on your knowledge from AD-B's book, you ought to make some choices. Basically most Chapters will receive +5 to two statistics that will help push your character towards being an exemplar of the Chapter. What do you think would work? 

We would also need to come up with a Chapter demeanour that sums them up - it could well be "Wardens of the Veil", but you could consider "Redden the Earth"?

Let's start with the +5 to two statistics. I have narrowed it down to the following: BS, T, Per, & Fel. 

Ballistic Skill seems like a bit of a selfish choice as I am playing a marine whose primary method of war involves a gun. However, my character could be a skilled shooter. The Emperor's Spears don't focus on assault or ranged specifically, they get the job done - hard and fast. 

Toughness makes sense in that even in the current timeline, the Emperor's Spears are stretched thin defending Elara's Veil. Having your chapter cover a region of space that was intended to be covered by 3 chapters can breed tough(er) warriors.  

Perception is more of a personal trait. I like to add a bit of myself to every character I play in role playing games, it adds to the fantasy and engagement.  I'm an extremely perceptive individual, whether it is noticing things physically or understanding an underlying meaning. I pride myself on it. 

Lastly, there is fellowship. I think this one is a bit of me and a bit Emperor's Spear. Personally, another defining characteristic is that I am loyal. I would do anything for my friends and in turn, they would do the same. To help put things in perspective, I have had the same group of core friends since elementary school (k-5) and I am 26 now. The camaraderie and familiarity that the chapter shares with one another is quite similar. They prank each other, laugh, fight, make up, and would die for each other. And yes, other chapters may engage in similar manners but not like the Spears. The informality and personal connection they share with one another is truly something special. 

At the moment I am leaning towards BS and Fel. However, I would love your opinions. Any recommendations? 

Edit: clarification. 
Edited by Sun Reaver

Place holder replaced:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344357-kill-team-blackthorn-to-catch-a-predator/?p=5229342

Edit:

Sun, mechanically for a Tactical Marine, BS and Fel are the best options as most of their abilities will revolve around those two stats. Now comes the real question, what special ability are you going to go with?

Bolter Mastery is great +10 to hit and +2 damage with all bolt weapons is really solid, the only downside is that it only works in solo mode.

On the other hand there is Tactical Expertise, that lets you make a command test to share your chapter's unique squad modes with anyone else in squad mode with you, again a really solid option.

Having played and GM'ed for Tactical Marines in the past, both are great options and it really comes down to what kind of flavor of Tac Marine do you want to have, I've found that the more social ones will gravitate towards Tactical Expertise while the more solo hunters will gravitate towards Bolter Mastery.

Edit #2:

After giving your post a more deeper read, I agree with MR, Perception and Fellowship I think would be best and based on what you said about them, I think that perhaps going with Tactical Expertise with perhaps the Gregarious personal demeanor might be a good over all fit with the chapter demeanor of Swift as the Wind.

For example:

Gregarious personal demeanor:

The Space Marine is a charismatic and talkative sort, one who puts his Battle- Brothers and even normal humans at ease.

Swift as the wind Chapter demeanor:

The Battle-Brothers of the Chapter may excel at rapid strikes and lightning raids, but the trait extends to every facet of their character. They are as quick to anger as they are to jest. They can be impatient, yet display great personal initiative. While not rash or foolhardy, such a Battle-Brother believes in the value of immediate action over protracted planning, and chafes at the bit to engage the foe.

Emphasis mine.

Swift as the Wind also works well with their preferred tactics of air mobility.

Edited by Steel Company

I think BS and Fel improvements are absolutely fine - especially so, when considering you're leaning towards the Loyalty and camaraderie angle, although I think I might switch BS for Perception as perhaps that's a little more to your own strengths and more familiar to you.

I think Per and Fel go better together - as you say, with a small circle of friends when something is wrong, you notice it first, defuse it second and make it right third.  Per and Fel are the instruments of that.

My humble thoughts :)

@Steel, nice.

MR.

Thank you for the consideration and advice brothers. I will be going with Fel and Per. 

I also really like the gregarious personality type. I think it perfectly encapsulates the disarming and friendly vibe the marines tend to portray. Also a fan of the Swift as the Wind chapter demeanor. I think you may have just created my marine for me Steel:laugh.:

Is there a link to all the chapter demeanors? I have the core rule book and the two expansions (Rites of Battle and First Founding). Could I use any I deem fit? 

Thank you for the help so far fellow brothers of the watch! 

Sun, the basic marine and chapter demeanor for the core book are found in the chapter entries, but things like Swift as the Wind are found in Rights of Battle and are used when crafting a chapter from the ground up. :yes:

For example:

Tyber's Chapter (Dragons of Caliban) have the chapter demeanor of "Suffer not the work of Heretics", this reflects the fact that they are a decedents of the First Legion and have a special hatred of the traitor legions (and those that have broken faith with the intentions of the Emperor at large), they also suffer a chapter flaw of  Faith in Suspicion (Ecclesiarchy) to represent their dislike for the belief of the Emperor as a god, something he had denied during the crusade. Hence why Tyber was reluctant to enter the temple when there was a service held for our Thorvald.

As for creating your Marine for you, sorry? I was only trying to point you in the direction of things I thought would be a good fit based on what you said.:biggrin.:

Personally I find it a ton of fun to build chapters with the tables in RoB (Rights of Battle) randomly and try to figure out how it can all work together to make something cohesive.:yes:

Sun, the basic marine and chapter demeanor for the core book are found in the chapter entries, but things like Swift as the Wind are found in Rights of Battle and are used when crafting a chapter from the ground up. :yes:

For example:

Tyber's Chapter (Dragons of Caliban) have the chapter demeanor of "Suffer not the work of Heretics", this reflects the fact that they are a decedents of the First Legion and have a special hatred of the traitor legions (and those that have broken faith with the intentions of the Emperor at large), they also suffer a chapter flaw of  Faith in Suspicion (Ecclesiarchy) to represent their dislike for the belief of the Emperor as a god, something he had denied during the crusade. Hence why Tyber was reluctant to enter the temple when there was a service held for our Thorvald.

As for creating your Marine for you, sorry? I was only trying to point you in the direction of things I thought would be a good fit based on what you said.:biggrin.:

Personally I find it a ton of fun to build chapters with the tables in RoB (Rights of Battle) randomly and try to figure out how it can all work together to make something cohesive.:yes:

Ah, all that makes sense, thank you for the clarification. I'll check out RoB tonight and see if I can come up with anything else. 

And no, it wasn't mean offensively. I appreciated the fact because everything you suggested worked perfectly and has made this process easier for me. 

For example:

Ah, all that makes sense, thank you for the clarification. I'll check out RoB tonight and see if I can come up with anything else. 

And no, it wasn't mean offensively. I appreciated the fact because everything you suggested worked perfectly and has made this process easier for me. 

No offence taken, tone of voice doesn't translate well with only text. :wink:

When I said "sorry?" it was with more of a joking tone.:biggrin.:

If you'd like a run down with a examples, I can PM you how I crafted the Dragons and managed to figure out to link things together to tell their basic background in a way that works.

I'd rather not use the custom chapter rules for the Spears. I have messaged A D-B in the vain hopes he'll lend his thoughts to the situation. In the meantime we can operate regardless. 

Blackthorn players, I would like you to focus on the location of the Broodlord for the time being, lest the game stall before any Swordhand players can join! 

I'd suggest going to the Factoria district (or near it), seeing the place with your own eyes, and planning there. Optional collecting info from Vortis/other sources along the way.

Agreed.

Is there a way to contact the Mechanicus enclave outside of planetary vox calls? A Messenger perhaps?

Here you go Xin: 

Vaidan, Solastion and Tyber: The Astropath nods at the Sanguinary Priest's words.  "I can see little with the veil closing in on us, but I felt its presence, the thing you search for. I heard the screams of the dying and the roar of machinery. It dwells in the dark and cold, making its lair amongst corpses and bones, and it hungers. It burns with a curiosity, a desire to know more of you."

Thanks!

There is probably a couple of places full of corpses and bones. I guess cold is sub optimal for an agriworld so it's either very deep down or maybe ...refrigerated? Do we have locations on any sort of Mortuary or Coroner's facility?

It might be quite literally trying to learn about humanity from the remains?

Good to see you join the team, Noctus. :tu:

I'll be honest, I'm more than a little surprised you're playing a loyalist. :lol:

I guess if I have that much of a reputation for Chaos and traitors then I suppose I should take that as a compliment.

Rolled for characteristics and armour:

WS: 36
BS: 40
S: 48
T: 44
Ag: 40
Int: 45
Per: 38
WP: 40
Fel: 40

Wounds: 22

Fate Points: 4

Armour Mark: MkV 'Heresy' Armour

Armour History: Death is Joy, Battered by War

Initial characteristic rolls (in order): https://orokos.com/roll/692086
Toughness reroll: https://orokos.com/roll/692089

Wounds roll: https://orokos.com/roll/692090

Fate Points roll: https://orokos.com/roll/692091

Armour Mark roll: https://orokos.com/roll/692093

History Table rolls: https://orokos.com/roll/692096

Armour History rolls: https://orokos.com/roll/692097

Looks reasonably fitting for the character so far.

Edited by Morovir

Looks good Morovir!

As to the broodlord, he's either in the factory hospital "death room" where the worst injured are sent,  or the morgue, down under the rooms in the basement somewhere where the water pumps are or the vents or fans, the infrastructure - can't be the boiler room or crematorium, too hot OR he's in the damn servitor conversion room, where the Fabrica lads make the servitors and toss out the dead 'uns.

We might be able to pin him in place with a diversionary attack, one close enough, but not too close to make him slink in his hole, feel safe enough there.  Might draw off any scumbags, if we sent a scout team in to have a looksee, they might actually LEAD us to it - if not the Broodlord, at least a Rebel Leader who Steel can dunk into promethium until he talks.

MR.