[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Yeng is in a precarious position..! (I will have him use his last Fate Point to recover health, but he is getting swamped. Is there a Squad Mode that could be used here?)

Nothing that is a quick action springs to mind, though furious charge will let him hit back. Atratus is fast enough that he can be over there with his next action to join in - albeit still at WS 10 I think.

Updated.

Yeng is in a precarious position..! (I will have him use his last Fate Point to recover health, but he is getting swamped. Is there a Squad Mode that could be used here?)

Technically everyone is in Support Range and can use the Bolter Assault I just called, if they want.  Any of us can call Furious Charge for 3 points of Cohesion.  The only thing Yeng can do otherwise to dodge being beaten up, is Full Action: Disengage, but this doesn't help him much (hence why I'm not doing it) since the bugs will just charge again and get the benefit.

Regroup is no good either, because it's simply a Full Move, which specifically doesn't trigger Overwatch or Suppressive fire, and doesn't work in Melee.

At this point, taking a knife to the ribs in exchange for a fusillade of bolter fire might be the best option, because the Party is dying to a thousand cuts, and Tearing is going to proc RF better than a slash with an Astartes tin-opener.

@Nine - because this one goes up to eleven...!

MR.

Looking at the round order Atratus can run into squad range, squad up and activate furious assault, and then charge the rest of the way into the warriors attacking Yeng before they act.

Triggering furious assault Yeng would get a round of fighting and an extra attack (with damage rerolls) in that time to finish off the badly wounded one leaving us two on one. Any more pillars blown between now and then might also bring his WS back up to normal.

Updated most of Atratus's Furious Charge. Unfortunately Atratus wasn't able to hit Tyranid Warrior M but his Furious Charge has helped out the Kill-Team massively by stripping several Dodges (or providing PCs with the opportunity to strike a second time.)

I've paused to allow Tyber to choose whether or not to participate in the Furious Charge, and to select a target. (My thoughts would be perhaps charging to extricate Yeng, but it's up to you.)

Alas, Yeng's turn had already been played out by the time Apologist posted (and leaving combat would open up Yeng to two free attacks, which isn't ideal.)

I was planning to give Yeng the "Grenadier" ability from the Tyrannic War Veteran tree temporarily:

Grenadier: Amongst the best-known of the stratagems

devised by the Tyrannic War Veterans, the use of Krak

Grenades to slay monstrous foes in melee is a risky but

rewarding tactic. The Battle-Brother may use a Krak Grenade

as his chosen weapon for any Charge Attack, Standard Attack

or All-Out Attack action, suffering a –20 penalty to hit due

to the difficulty of the attack. However, if the attack roll

succeeds, the Battle-Brother deals the normal damage of an

Astartes Krak Grenade (with its associated Pen value), adding

+1 to the Pen for every Degree of Success on the attack roll

(to represent the grenade being thrust into vulnerable points

in the creature’s carapace).

I'll get something up for Tyber in the next couple of hours, but due to distance Tyber can't charge to Yeng since he's more than 30m away as are the beasts on him.

Tyber engaged Warrior B and put it down hard.... like 31 damage (14 after reductions) to the face!

As an aside CM:

I noticed that you've been listing two weapon fighting at a -30, with +10 from Ambidextrous and +10 from two weapon wielder, it doesn't bother me since the numbers work out the same, but I was wondering why the change from the rules on page 246 of the core rule book that has it has a -20 with a +10 from ambidextrous? All TWWM/B does is let you make use of both weapons at the same time.

Edited by Steel Company

I will finish the Assault and make a new map ready for Mazer to post.

Steel:

I was half remembering this below, taken from the FFG forum, although I was applying it wrongly. TWWM and TWWR are one of my gripes with the Deathwatch rules-set and I continually get them wrong.

TWF has two talents, Two Weapon Wielder: Melee (TWWM) and Two Weapon Wielder: Ranged (TWWR).

TWWM only affects melee actions/talents, though TWWR is a requirement for some ranged talents which cannot be used while engaged (Dual Shot for instance.)

You are correct in stating a character can only use melee subtype actions when engaged.

Pistols, however, are allowed to make a single shot attack, with no bonuses for size or distance, using BS as a melee subtype action.

This pistol attack can also be used with multiple attack actions (Swift/Lightning Attack).

TWF works in the following manner. You may make a single extra attack with a second (usually off-hand) weapon in addition to your normal attacks (including Swift/Lightning). But all attacks (main-hand and off-hand) suffer -30 to hit.

If a character has TWWM and ONLY attack with a melee weapon the penalty drops by 10.

If a character has TWWR and ONLY attack with ranged weapons the penalty drops by 10.

IF a character attacks with both a melee AND a ranged weapon using TWF, it needs BOTH TWWM AND TWWR to have the penalty drop by 10.

If you have the ambidextrous trait, the penalty for TWF drops by 10.

For example a character with TWWM:

Attacks with a melee weapon and a pistol weapon, it makes all attacks at -30.

Attacks with only 2 melee weapons, it makes all attacks at -20

The character then gains the ambidextrous trait:

Attacks with a melee weapon and a pistol weapon, it makes all attacks at -20.

Attacks with only 2 melee weapons, it makes all attacks at -10

The character then gains the TWWR talent:

Attacks with a melee weapon and a pistol weapon, it makes all attacks at -10.

I will finish the Assault and make a new map ready for Mazer to post.

Steel:

I was half remembering this below, taken from the FFG forum, although I was applying it wrongly. TWWM and TWWR are one of my gripes with the Deathwatch rules-set and I continually get them wrong.

TWF has two talents, Two Weapon Wielder: Melee (TWWM) and Two Weapon Wielder: Ranged (TWWR).

TWWM only affects melee actions/talents, though TWWR is a requirement for some ranged talents which cannot be used while engaged (Dual Shot for instance.)

You are correct in stating a character can only use melee subtype actions when engaged.

Pistols, however, are allowed to make a single shot attack, with no bonuses for size or distance, using BS as a melee subtype action.

This pistol attack can also be used with multiple attack actions (Swift/Lightning Attack).

TWF works in the following manner. You may make a single extra attack with a second (usually off-hand) weapon in addition to your normal attacks (including Swift/Lightning). But all attacks (main-hand and off-hand) suffer -30 to hit.

If a character has TWWM and ONLY attack with a melee weapon the penalty drops by 10.

If a character has TWWR and ONLY attack with ranged weapons the penalty drops by 10.

IF a character attacks with both a melee AND a ranged weapon using TWF, it needs BOTH TWWM AND TWWR to have the penalty drop by 10.

If you have the ambidextrous trait, the penalty for TWF drops by 10.

For example a character with TWWM:

Attacks with a melee weapon and a pistol weapon, it makes all attacks at -30.

Attacks with only 2 melee weapons, it makes all attacks at -20

The character then gains the ambidextrous trait:

Attacks with a melee weapon and a pistol weapon, it makes all attacks at -20.

The character then gains the TWWR talent:

Attacks with a melee weapon and a pistol weapon, it makes all attacks at -10.

CM:

That all makes sense, it also helps make TWWM and TWWB(R for Ranged) make more sense, as it is the way they are written in the Core Rule book you cannot use a weapon in each hand and fight with them unless you have those talents. Something that from experience you can very realistically do, even without training to fight that way, but training to fight that way makes it easier to fight that way.

If you'd like to do multi attacks this way, I'm happy to roll how you'd like on this, I was just wondering was all. :yes:

That being said, I've also found that swift and lighting attack are kind of awkward in DH/RT/DW when compared to how they're handled in BC/OW, as BC/OW put them more in line with ballistic attacks in terms of Semi-Auto/Full-Auto attacks, meaning that DOS = Number of hits up to your AGI. (1 hit/2DOS for Swift attack, 1hit/DOS Lightning attack) At the same time, it also made Dodge/parry better against melee as it grants a success against multiple attacks based on the DoS.

Map is up, ready for Akkad.

Steel:

I'd seen the Dodge alterations, and was considering proposing them for Episode III. Hadn't seen Swift Attack/Lightning Attack - it makes a lot of mechanical sense to make it like Semi/Full Auto. I'll definitely give it some thought!