[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

The defenses that shot down the shuttle may have tracked debris/space wolves with their auspexes, and are a pretty safe bet for enemy targets and leaders beyond their military value.

That's very true, if they were not automated defenses, our transport wasn't on the list for expected arrivals, meaning our IFF signature wouldn't have been logged into the local defense net....

We likely would've been able to get passible signatures or pass codes from the system defense ships, had we been able to board them, like Tyber suggested.:wink:

The defenses that shot down the shuttle may have tracked debris/space wolves with their auspexes, and are a pretty safe bet for enemy targets and leaders beyond their military value.

This is also a good shout.  May have some data to pull from them.

That's very true, if they were not automated defenses, our transport wasn't on the list for expected arrivals, meaning our IFF signature wouldn't have been logged into the local defense net....

We likely would've been able to get passible signatures or pass codes from the system defense ships, had we been able to board them, like Tyber suggested.:wink:

Maybe we should break up the team to secure these assets - we will eventually need an exfil plan and the cover of auspex tracking AA guns will help against things like, flying hive tyrants? ;)

Or go to the crash site and walk backwards from it, Thorvald will turn up eventually! Maybe you could try and pull some data from the shuttles navigation system?

Ooh, good idea....whilst rummaging around, Akkad can ask Tyber how Faith was killed....:ph34r.:

MR.

I'm less concerned about flying hive tyrants, than I am about more specialized flying 'bids... that being said, if we can take control of the planetary command center we should be able to do all of our objectives, short of finding the inquisitor and astropath.

As for Faith, well yea.... that's a series of questions that will be uncomfortable for Tyber, as anything he will say is likely to sound like an excuse.

Hi guys,

I am keen to update but am aware the game has stalled somewhat. I know we have a few people who are away for various circumstances, but I feel at the moment that the Kill-Team needs to be divided and sent on operations. In the event that Dosjetka is not able to post as Vaidan, I am happy for you guys to discuss here in the OOC and then for the consensus to be what Vaidan decides. 

Sounds good CM, any direction for what Tyber is going to find in the building that held the three heavy weapons? Will he find any?

As for the direction of the squad, I think hitting the noble section, getting to the Astropath should be our number one goal, after that I would suggest hitting the Mechanicum section, good chance to repair and reload there.

I'm happy for you to find the heavy stubbers, in the main because at the moment I'm keen to move beyond the Templum and advance the narrative. I'm happy for you to finish fortifying the building as you see fit before we move on. 

I don't really know what to do now - apart from regrouping as players - seriously get some posts in people! :biggrin.:

These are my meanderings.

If we hit the Fabrica District we're going to be digging PDF guys out of a firefight and by the sounds of it, doing that block by block. That's going to take a while.  Might be best for Fast-Movers to go in, hit the fight hard, eliminating enemy leaders and other assorted scum, then moving on, in and out.  The xenos lovers also seem to be pulling hit-and-run with the PDF, which means you could get bogged down hunting and removing small groups and be pulled out of position to assist if you're deep in the guts of a Factorum.

Alternatively we hit that area HARD and scorch earth it en masse, say six of us go in, two lads go to see the man in the ivory tower.

Another option is to go for those AA guns.  We round up a platoon of PDF, smash our way into the Starport/PDF base if there is one and let the PDF hold it with whoever else is there.  The Guard are all over the city, there should be more of them wherever we hit, we should be able to round some up and dig them in there too.

I vote for securing exfil first, then going and indulging in small talk and finger-food with the Nobs...besides, smashing something up may draw the scum to us...taking the pressure off elsewhere.  The governor is tucked up safe in his mansion - if he isn't Stealer food already...

Thoughts?

MR.

I don't really know what to do now - apart from regrouping as players - seriously get some posts in people! :biggrin.:

These are my meanderings.

If we hit the Fabrica District we're going to be digging PDF guys out of a firefight and by the sounds of it, doing that block by block. That's going to take a while.  Might be best for Fast-Movers to go in, hit the fight hard, eliminating enemy leaders and other assorted scum, then moving on, in and out.  The xenos lovers also seem to be pulling hit-and-run with the PDF, which means you could get bogged down hunting and removing small groups and be pulled out of position to assist if you're deep in the guts of a Factorum.

Alternatively we hit that area HARD and scorch earth it en masse, say six of us go in, two lads go to see the man in the ivory tower.

Another option is to go for those AA guns.  We round up a platoon of PDF, smash our way into the Starport/PDF base if there is one and let the PDF hold it with whoever else is there.  The Guard are all over the city, there should be more of them wherever we hit, we should be able to round some up and dig them in there too.

I vote for securing exfil first, then going and indulging in small talk and finger-food with the Nobs...besides, smashing something up may draw the scum to us...taking the pressure off elsewhere.  The governor is tucked up safe in his mansion - if he isn't Stealer food already...

Thoughts?

MR.

I'm not opposed to that MR, I just think trying to get the call out to the Death Watch for support first, before securing the space port / Command Center should be a higher priority. Besides, if we take those positions now, there is no way to be sure that they will still be under our (allied) control when we need them. At least with the 41st millennium's version of an E-mail that can be fire and forget, once it's off we no longer need to hold that position.

As for the noble section, my gut is telling me that it has likely fallen and that the cult may be using it as a strong point, it is a hard position to attack after all, unless you can use the sewer system to your advantage... many places that are not set up to well and truly resist assault keep their sewer system locked down.

When it comes to the AA assets, I wonder if they are orbital or surface based, if orbital we could turn them to our advantage and use them to strike surface targets. If they are surface based, are they missiles, lasers or physical projectiles. If either missile or physical projectiles can we lower their elevation enough to strike surface targets?

That being said, I'd like to avoid block by block street fighting, it's dirty work with out air-support, doubly so when we are the invading force and do not know all the places where the insurgent forces can wait in ambush.

Good appraisal Steel, reasonable.

We need the others to wade in.  If there's no objection from Xin, I'll have Sabaan do some Chimera wrangling and fix up your ride :wink: shortly.

MR.

Thanks MR, I tried to be as objective about it as I could, looking it over and figuring out what we could take, with out it becoming a case of take and hold... as Murphy's Combat Law #19 says:

When you secure an area, don't forget to tell the enemy.

The thing is... 

Xin is absent, Dos is mostly absent, Nineswords is busy with work (though I spoke to him and he is amenable, mostly.) 

Not sure on A.T., so that only leaves Slips.

I dig that Mol.  :thumbsup:

Thanks MR, I tried to be as objective about it as I could, looking it over and figuring out what we could take, with out it becoming a case of take and hold... as Murphy's Combat Law #19 says:

When you secure an area, don't forget to tell the enemy.

Me too man, me too.  You make a good point on the Astropath, we do it, fire the Psymail off and it's done, no need to dig in and hold...I still feel exfil is our biggest concern, but that's what discussion is for.  Perhaps a compromise?

We split the team, my armour will not stand for the stealthy sewer approach as it is loud and proud and hates sneaking.  I volunteer to create a diversion, attacking a zone of opportunity to the team, with two, maybe three others, in an attempt to draw out the enemy and take them from the sewer approach.  We hit a sector as hard as possible, create lots of noise, maybe close by to entice the undisciplined enemy from their positions and then fall back with holding actions until we're back at the Templum.  We hold nothing but we take lives.  Let's repay them in kind with hit and run, keep them off-balance.

Nine, great post, always good to have Greysight's keen observations :wink: and I agree, the Broodlord needs to be shot.  Soon.

My suggestion for Infiltration team then: Atratus, Greysight, Solastion

Distraction team: Me, Varvost, Sabaan

You and Vaidan can straphang as they will (and the distraction crew get the wheels)!

...oh and don't even start me on that list. :wink:

I'll leave this here before we get Off Topic: Incoming Fire has Right of Way!

Thoughts my fellow warriors?

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

If we are going to split the team to strike two targets, then I would suggest something more along the lines of this:

Astropath Team:

Varvost

Atratus

Tyber

Space port team:

Akkad

Vaidan

Greysight

Solastion

Sabaan

My reasoning on this is simple and some what tactical;

The jump pack equipped marines can use the jump packs to gain the "Fly 12" trait, this means we could fly to the top of the tower and infiltrate from the top, likely where the Astropath will be, cutting the mission time down dramatically, allowing us to head to the space port once that objective is complete.

The distraction team will be in for a harder fight, as there is no way to be stealthy, really when you factor in we are all in power armour and none of us are very well trained in sneak....

also, rule 11 from Murphy's combat laws:

The Enemy diversion you have been ignoring will be the main attack.

In this case, we are the enemy for the cult....:wink:

My reasoning on this is simple and some what tactical;

The jump pack equipped marines can use the jump packs to gain the "Fly 12" trait, this means we could fly to the top of the tower and infiltrate from the top, likely where the Astropath will be, cutting the mission time down dramatically, allowing us to head to the space port once that objective is complete.

The distraction team will be in for a harder fight, as there is no way to be stealthy, really when you factor in we are all in power armour and none of us are very well trained in sneak....

also, rule 11 from Murphy's combat laws:

The Enemy diversion you have been ignoring will be the main attack.

In this case, we are the enemy for the cult....:wink:

Ah, you're definitely a Matt Colville Strategist ;)

A sound reckoning again mate, and tactically/strategically speaking I'd say yes, let's roll and call it a day, but I'd like to throw a fly in the lotion there:

The distraction team don't need to sneak and the Astropath's tower could be empty - he could be elsewhere, you know, with this tricksy GM of ours :) (it's a compliment)

Plus Nine has stated he wants a hunt, narratively speaking (I apologise if this is out of turn of course) I suggested AT and Nine because I could see them in my mind's eye, stepping through tunnels bathed in sickly, wan red light, scuttling shadows in the distance, tension of hunters being hunted, of predators being stalked...could be a nice interlude for you too ;)  p;us I want to see what the Storm SOn chokes the governor with - if Tyber doesn't feed him a vase first...

Won't get that with Me and Varvost doing this :biggrin.::

MR

Done and done!

Perhaps three squads then.

Hunters:

Greysight

Atratus

Astropath:

Tyber

Varvost

Space Port:

Akkad

Vaidan

Solastion

Sabaan

As for what Tyber will do to the Governor once he is with in sight will range from shot him with a bolt pistol for incompetence to something much more slow and graphic if he is a traitor to the throne... After all the Dragon's do follow the teaching of "Suffer not the work of Heretics".... even if they border on "Uphold the Honor of the Emperor" as well.

Thanks for your post, Nine. I actually really liked the part where Greysight couldn't see Ryken's response, which I thought was cool. 

I have spoken to Dosjetka and we have come to the mutual decision for him to relinquish control over Vaidan. I have sent a PM to both Reyner and Sun Reaver asking whether they are interested in taking over the character. 

I had considered whether it might be narratively interesting to have a scene where the Kill-Team holds a brief vigil for Thorvald at the statue for the Emperor. Possibly Akkad and/or Greysight leading it?