Oh yeah, something I forgot to bring up when you posted this:

No Ordo Scriptorum related updates for today, as I am still working on the next model for the retinue. I do, however, have something to share you, as I've started messing around with a Tech-Priest Dominus and some bitz in order to create a model for my AdMech warband for INQ28. Now this guy is still mostly a bit of a thought-experiment at this point, and it may be quite a while before you see him again, but here's what I have so far:

archmagos-early-wip-1.jpg

archmagos-early-wip-2.jpg

This guy looks awesome. That's the Dominus clamshell character's legs, a Kataphron torso and one of the heads from the Datascryer from the Kastellan Robots kit, and the arms are from the Dominus and Kastellan, right?

I can't tell where the spindly arms are from though :lol:

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ Squigsquasher: Hmm, I think I'll be going for something very similar to Januine's Genestealers here, both because I think his colour scheme is the perfect mix between 40k and Giger, and because GW's "posterboy" Hive Fleet colour schemes aren't really working for me.

As it happens, When I saw the Broodlord at first I got confused and didn't realize he'd been stripped- I thought the blue paint stuck in the recesses was painted bioluminesence!

Ha, that's funny -- a fellow forumite over at the Ammobunker thought the exact same thing -- it might actually be an idea worth exploring -- for a much more gifted painter than me, that is ;)

@ Gederas: You're mostly right RE: those AdMech bitz: The right arm is from a Kataphron, though, as are the smaller arms.

So here's an update on the Road Crew: Thanks to a fairly successful painting session yesterday, here are the next three - mostly - finished members of the gang:

road-crew-reinforcements-1.jpg

road-crew-reinforcements-2.jpg

As expected, Cirque (the guy in the middle) actually turned out to be a much better fit for a blood effect on the weapon. That being said, I did add some BftBG to the left guy's "bag o'bones" ;)

As always, let me know what you think! :)

New guys look awesome painted. And Cirque looks really good.

@ Gederas: You're mostly right RE: those AdMech bitz: The right arm is from a Kataphron, though, as are the smaller arms.

D'oh! I meant Kataphron when I typed Katsellan :lol:

And how'd you get the Kataphron's arm to go on the right side as well as you did?

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ Gederas: Haha, it only went together so well because it's held together with massive amounts of poster tac ;) The finished build will need quite a bit of cleanup before everything fits together snugly, I imagine...

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thanks! :)

@ Atia: Cheers, Atia! That's exactly the effect I intended for the gang ;)

@ hushrong: Ewww, seriously, mate: You think about the strangest things... ;)

So here's a proper round of pictures of the finished models:

First up, the dude with the chainsaw -- codenamed "Sawtooth" for now:

sawtooth-1.jpg

sawtooth-3.jpg

sawtooth-2.jpg

Then there's the Road Crew member called "Sarge", a former career soldier in the Astra Militarum who has chosen life in the underhive, seemingly to get away from something he experienced during his former life. He supports the Road Crew with his trusty longlas:

sarge-1.jpg

sarge-2.jpg

sarge-3.jpg

And, finally, very much my favourite, Cirque, a heavily muscled brute who's at the forefront of every raid and gang fight, with his trusty eviscerator:

cirque-1.jpg

cirque-2.jpg

cirque-3.jpg

Like I said, Cirque basically provided me with the opportunity to experiment with a blood effect that nevertheless didn't completely drown out the rest of the model:

cirque-5.jpg

And with that, I have basically managed to finish all the models I had planned for the Road Crew, at least for now. There's only their ride left to paint, and old Gorkamorka trukk, but apart from that, here's the entire Road Crew:

=][=

The Road Crew

the-road-crew-2018-3.jpg

The deeper levels of St.Sabasto’s Reach’s primary hive cluster - colloquially known as „The Orphans‘ Cradle“ - is crisscrossed by a network of tansportation tunnels originally created – and mostly still used – to move the vast amounts of goods necessary to keep the world’s overly bloated population alive. Ranging from cramped maintenance shafts that are mere crawlspaces to multi-laned transport ways allowing for vehicle traffic, the warren of tunnels and substations has become a living space for many underhivers, from the indentured personnel manning the various installations and the maintenance workers to gatherings of escaped slaves and convicts seeking something resembling a life in freedom, even if it should be a life in squalor and darkness.

The so-called „Roadcrew“ is one such group and has begun to attract former pit slaves, soldiers of fortune, twists and other malcontents from the hive’s lower reaches, trying to eke out an existence between the underhive fighting pits and minor raids on the biggest transport thoroughfares.

From left to right:

• Crusher Vex, also know as "Old Man Claw", a former pitfigthing champion
  • Grimspyke “the Impaler”, another champion in the fighting pits and former enemy of Crusher Vex
  • Sawtooth, a mute and slightly unhinged manufactorium worker
  • Tiny the Brute, a member of the mutant underclass of St. Sabasto's Reach and current war-captain of the Road Crew
  • "Doktor" Solon Antonov, a former, low-ranking Magos of the Velsian Adeptus Mechanicus who disappeared from his posting as a workforce and slave prospector on the world of St. Sabasto’s Reach, only to emerge as the leading figure of the Road Crew
  • Cirque, a physically imposing mutant and one of the Road Crew's fiercest fighters
  • Sarge, a veteran of the Astra Militarum with a dark past
  • "Papa Anjevin", a particularly unhinged mutant styling himself the Road Crew's shaman-priest
  • Chopper, a diminutive mutant wielding a massive chainblade.

Back row:

• Worker #9, an ancient automaton of ambiguous origin

the-road-crew-2018-4.jpg

Please tell me you're gonna add a model to the Road Crew that's using the stop sign from the spoiled Genestealer Aberrant. Partially because it'd look awesome, partially because I would find the accidental Psychonauts reference highly amusing.

Dragonlover

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ Stercus: Thanks! While I personally prefer Cirque, I can definitely see where you're coming from.

@ Dragonlover: Hmm, I actually like that Aberrant wielding the traffic sign so much that I'd rather keep it on him, if I ever acquire the model. That being said, not having featured a stop sign seems like a pretty big oversight now -- good thing it should be easy enough to add new members to the Road Crew whenever I need to, because a gang like that need not ever be finished, really ;)

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! Don't expect too much from the trukk, it's only an old Gorkamorka vehicle -- that being said, it will be my first proper attempt at salt weathering, at least that's the plan ;)

With two projects mostly finished in a short while, and the next bigger endeavours already looming, I fancied a bit of kitbashing this weekend. Back when the Primaris Marines were released, I got some of the snapfit ones with the eventual goal of making a truescale Killteam for INQ28. Now while I have already finished the first member of the Killteam, progress has been slow, mostly due to the somewhat weird poses of those snapfit Primaris -- and I've also had difficulties to choose which chapters to go with, as just combining first founding chapters seems a tad unlikely and lazy.

Anyway, I've already shared this guy with you before, I presume: A Watch Brother from the Iron Hands (and possibly the Killteam's squad leader):

truescale-iron-hands-marine-wip-2.jpg

truescale-iron-hands-marine-wip-3.jpg

I am actually still pretty happy with this guy -- I just added some extra gear to his belt, as it feels like members of the Deathwatch need all the grenades and extra ammunition they can get ;)

And then I had an idea -- how about going for a Crimson Fist, and building him as an homage to this particular piece of artwork:

crimson-fist-artwork.jpg

So I made this guy:

brother-vargo-diaz-wip-1.jpg

brother-vargo-diaz-wip-2.jpg

brother-vargo-diaz-wip-3.jpg

Granted, I've had to simplify some parts of the illustration - mostly due to the fact that, funnily enough, even the Primaris' bigger scale does not allow for all the detail present in the art - and I've also made some minor adaptations, allowing for the fact that my version is intended as a member of the Deatwatch, but I am pretty happy with the kitbash -- it definitely does mitigate the stock model's super weird pose ;)

So here are all three of them so far -- and you'll see why I've gone with black and white pictures above:

true-scale-killteam-wip-1.jpg

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Dragonlover: That torso was quite a messy piece of conversion work, to tell you the truth -- fortunately enough, most of the iffy parts get covered up rather nicely by the arms ;)

As for the knees, I realise that most truescalers these days tend to get rid of the extra kneepad trim, but I actually like the look, and seeing how there's no way these will be mistaken for anything but Deathwatch Marines in my collection, I've decided to keep it. That and the element will only really appear on this Killteam, making it almost look like an actual feature of Deatwatch armour ;)

@ Auggs: No can do, buddy: Thanks to the really weirdly posed Primaris arms I have (I've actually had to splice together a slightly less weird one for this very conversion), the pose I have on there now is just about the best possible copromise -- plus there's also that helmet to consider.

@ hushrong: Thanks, mate! :)

So here's what I've done this afternoon: Meet - an almost completed - Watch-Brother Vargo Diaz:

watch-brother-diaz-pip-1.jpg

watch-brother-diaz-pip-2.jpg

watch-brother-diaz-pip-3.jpg

watch-brother-diaz-pip-5.jpg

And here he is, next to his already completed squad mate, Brother Diomedes:

vargo-diaz-and-arcturus-diomedes-pip.jpg

Diaz is a great homage to that art work. Really like the new Roadcrew members too Sawtooth's sack (where's that bit from, by the way? Ogres?) is a great little addition to the model, with the bloody skull peeking through it adds such subtly sinister touch.

Hmm, with your shiny hobby saw, couldn't you have sawn through his shoulder joint and repositioned it? Or am I missing something? The point is moot thouh, as Watch-Brother Diaz is looking might fine in this coloured outfit! And quick, too! :D

You're on a roll! :tu:

Thanks, guys! :smile.:

@ Auggs: I can cut apart anything, with or without the saw, buddy -- that doesn't change anything about the fact that it all has to come together in a believably and at least mostly natural looking fashion in the end, and that's why I settled on the way the arm has been assembled (as it happens, it actually was spliced together from a regular Primaris shoulder pad, a Reiver forearm and a hand from the plastic Ortan Cassius from Deathwatch:Overkill). Oh, I did make pretty good use on that Microsol and Microset I bought at Amsterdam, along with your pointers on applying decals, when adding that chapter icon to the shoulder pad, by the way :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

So here's another small update, as I've managed to complete the last tweaks on my second Deathwatch Marine:

=][=

Vargo Diaz

Brother of the Deathwatch
originally of the Crimson Fists

brother-vargo-diaz-of-the-deathwatch-1.j

brother-vargo-diaz-of-the-deathwatch-2.j

brother-vargo-diaz-of-the-deathwatch-3.j

brother-vargo-diaz-of-the-deathwatch-4.j

brother-vargo-diaz-of-the-deathwatch-5.j

As you can see, he does have the one ...erm crimson fist, at least ;) There's also another little element I wanted to include: In the original Inquisitor rulebook, the 54mm model for Brother Artemis (basically the forefather of all Deathwatch Marines) had those little rectangles on his bolter painted as the displays/buttons for the different kinds of ammunition stored in the weapon, so I thought it might be fun to include this in a bit of a shout out to the classic model and its paintjob. So I put some Roman numerals on the panels: This side has 'I' and 'II', the other one has 'III' and 'IV':

brother-vargo-diaz-of-the-deathwatch-7.j

brother-vargo-diaz-of-the-deathwatch-6.j

When it came to basing Brother Diaz, I went for the same basic look I had already used on my first Deathwatch Marine. I included an ork skull this time around, however -- I think it's an entertaining little meta touch to feature an alien skull from the respective chapter's nemesis Xenos race, so Tyranids for Ultramarines, Orks for Crimson Fists and a Necron head for the Iron Hand, presumably? ;)

Anyway, here's the finished Brother Diaz next to Brother Arcturus Diomedes again:

watch-brothers-vargo-diaz-and-arcturus-d

Looks great and I do love that added, extra touch to the bolt pistol. Makes me think of ol' Judge Dredd and his pistol. Definitely a cool nod to the Artemis mini.

I also like the skulls used on bases. Yet, whenever I read 'Necron' and 'Iron Hand' in the same sentence I start to think of the Dornian Heresy.