Agreed, PBB, totally agreed. Apologies. (sorry Krauty!)

Back on topic & @KrautScientist: As much as I like the whipping Astartes, when will we see the Heavy Weapon dude? I am looking forward to seeing how you get this guy to work. Also: the plastic Primaris I promised you is on its way! 

Cheers for the feedback, guys! I wasn't sure whether the whip would work, but I do think the Castigator wears it rather well!

Will you ever make a fedora-wearing Castigator?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I rate the chances of that happening slim to none -- besides, I don't really see Indy as a Space Marine. If it makes you happy, though, you can imagine the little jingle that plays each time the Castigator solves a problem using his whip :wink:

@Augustus r'Raass

Man... if he managed to CRACK it... then the end of that steel whip being cracked by a 10' giant in augmented armour was travelling faster than the speed of sound.

that's going to make someone have a sad face.

Yeah, and even better: Judging by the overall design and what looks like a small generator on the handle, chances are the whip is also carrying some kind of electrical current, on top of everything else...

I mean, the classic villains were also pretty weird.

Remember: This is a series where eating glowing mushrooms recharges your equipment and your teammates question your sanity when you reveal that to them :laugh.:

You have a point, but he's not the right kind of weird, if that makes any sense: It's almost as though the guys who came up with him wanted to create a properly strange MGS villain, but didn't even get what made the classic villains great to begin with, so they ended up basically deconstructing the entire thing -- hence "Nanomachines, son" :wink:

I still need to post you a shoulderpad!

Glad the model provoked a response! :wink: To be honest, I am basically committed to freehanding the chapter icon, though, if only because it'll make less of a mess from a conversion perspective (the arm and shoulder pad are one piece, so replacing the pauldron, like I've done on the left arm, requires quite a bit of delicate cutting and replacing of parts). If you like, you can come up with a name for the guy, though! :smile.:

The cracking of a whip is the sonic boom of the tip breaking the sound barrier! Even with leather whips in human hands! But yeah, I wouldn't want to be in a dungeon wearing strips of leather when this guy comes in. I wouldn't want to be in a dungeon wearing strips of leather ever, but that's another matter. :biggrin.::wink:

http://www.dictionary.com/e/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Wow....just...wow!

@ Auggs: I can start on the heavy weapons dude as soon as I have that plastic Primaris -- in fact, the Castigator sort of jumped the queue a bit, simply because the model got here first :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

So, thanks to an emergency supply drop from the Netherlands, I was able to convert the next member of my Deathwatch killteam. Take a look at the (slightly cleaned up) Castigator and the brand new Lamenter, respectively:

deathwatch-castigator-and-lamenter-wip-1

deathwatch-castigator-and-lamenter-wip-2

And many thanks to Augustus b'Raass for sending over the model for the Lamenter conversion!

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Looking rad! The Castigator is looking excellent-er and the Lamenter is shaping up to be an fine addition to the kill team.

Are both arms holding the frag cannon (that's its name, right?) from the regular sized marine kit? Or did you have to do some work to make it fit?

Cheers, mate! The arms came directly from the Imperial Fists marine from Deathwatch:Overkill. I did have to carefully cut off the right upper arm from both the "donor" and the Primaris Marine, though, in order to make it all work together -- I only really had to do this because I wanted to be able to replace the stock Primaris shoulder pad, however.

Anyway, it only took some tweaking and shaving here and there, but it ended up working pretty well.

Nice and thanks for the details! I'm super tempted to get some Primaris to make big CSM but I was thinking of using the mk3 and mk4 arms, and it would be nice to know if it would work for both arms holding bolters and various other weapons.

Wow, that was fast! I bet you've started converting this guy the moment you received it in the mail, didn't you?

The extra details you did work great, and you've done an excellent job converting the gun you got for 'my' primaris marine.

Tiny detail though - I'm not quite sure about the pose, although I'm not quite sure and suspect is need more shots of different angles to ascertain. As he looks now though, I think he might benefit from a sawing through below the hip-to-abdomen ring, and ever so slightly twisting his torso clockwise (seen from above). That, or turn his face to align with the barrel...

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Wow, that was fast! I bet you've started converting this guy the moment you received it in the mail, didn't you?

The extra details you did work great, and you've done an excellent job converting the gun you got for 'my' primaris marine.

Tiny detail though - I'm not quite sure about the pose, although I'm not quite sure and suspect is need more shots of different angles to ascertain. As he looks now though, I think he might benefit from a sawing through below the hip-to-abdomen ring, and ever so slightly twisting his torso clockwise (seen from above). That, or turn his face to align with the barrel...

Agreed, he needs to be more exaggerated in terms of contraposto, right now he's reading as sort of weirdly imbalanced.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :smile.: I must admit I don't agree 100% with you, mostly because the model so obviously isn't in the process of firing its weapon, but rather seems to be lugging it from point a to point b, so I thought it would make sense to have him seemingly scanning his surroundings. Rotating the torso is also no longer an option at this point, mostly because I already added quite a bit of extra gear and some additional armour plates to his belt before. That being said, do you guys think he works better looking straight ahead?

brother-mikahel-zephon-wip-1.jpg

brother-mikahel-zephon-wip-2.jpg

I tried having him face towards the barrel, but that ended up looking really lopsided (with every part of the model facing in one direction and even less visual "counterweight"), plus it would also cover up far too much of the helmet design.

I also have another WIP to share with you: I'm not sure inhowfar you guys keep following the Age of Sigmar releases, but the one model that doesn't get nearly enough love, in my opinion, is that one female Easy To Build Stormcast Sequitor -- the one that now allows me to finally build my first Inquisitrix, something I have wanted to do for quite a while:

ordo-malleus-inquisitrix-wip-3.jpg

ordo-malleus-inquisitrix-wip-1.jpg

I really love this model, especially the pose and face, which is why I decided to keep the conversion fairly subtle: I merely replaced that weird He-Man-style weapon with something a little more 40k, added a holstered pistol at the hip and an Inquisitorial rosette and replaced the design on the shield with an Ordo Malleus-style heraldic device (quite a bit of work, that last one):

ordo-malleus-inquisitrix-wip-2.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Dang, that mini looks awesome. AND ITS GOOOOOOOOLD! I kind of want one now too! But just checked GW and they look out of stock in the US. However, aside from inquisitors I am wondering if I could use one to make arbites, a fancy Sister of Silence, or something else.

I am definitely excited to see what force you build up for your Inquisitrix.

Love the Lamenter and Castigator.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :smile.: I must admit I don't agree 100% with you, mostly because the model so obviously isn't in the process of firing its weapon, but rather seems to be lugging it from point a to point b, so I thought it would make sense to have him seemingly scanning his surroundings. Rotating the torso is also no longer an option at this point, mostly because I already added quite a bit of extra gear and some additional armour plates to his belt before. That being said, do you guys think he works better looking straight ahead?

To be perfectly honest: The Frag Cannon's positioning doesn't work for what you're imagining him to be doing. If he were doing that, it should be held lower than it is, as currently his pose makes it look like he's holding it and preparing to fire it. With something that large and bulky, you don't hold it directly in front of your chest when walking, as it makes it much more difficult. Even for a Space Marine.

So unfortunately, he's going to look awkward no matter what you do, as you actually gave him a posture that doesn't match either firing or striding forward :lol:

I also have another WIP to share with you: I'm not sure inhowfar you guys keep following the Age of Sigmar releases, but the one model that doesn't get nearly enough love, in my opinion, is that one female Easy To Build Stormcast Sequitor -- the one that now allows me to finally build my first Inquisitrix, something I have wanted to do for quite a while:

I really love this model, especially the pose and face, which is why I decided to keep the conversion fairly subtle: I merely replaced that weird He-Man-style weapon with something a little more 40k, added a holstered pistol at the hip and an Inquisitorial rosette and replaced the design on the shield with an Ordo Malleus-style heraldic device (quite a bit of work, that last one):

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

However, in comparison to the Lamenter, I have nothing to critique about the Inquisitrix though. I really, really like how she came along. Though I hope she's in power armour, as she probably towers over everything bar your Primaris Truescale Marines :lol:

I mostly like the head to be honest. I love the buzzcut she has and her expression. Oh man, forgot that the stormcast are bigguns' and she'd probably dwarf the sisters. Fluff wise maybe she is just really big naturally or perhaps as a genetic result of gravity on the world she grew up on/family was from (I don't know if that's possible but I think astronauts grow after prolonged time in space don't they from zero gravity?). Or her armor just super beefed her up. Could always transfer the head too if one wanted to ditch the body, its scale shouldn't be off.

I love the inquisitrix! That shield and thunder hammer combo are absolutely lovely bits of work. I can’t help but feel that she still reads as a little too AoS-y, though. I think it’s the very noticeably Stormcast silhouette she still has. Maybe a servo skull or backpack to break it up a little and brinng her farther into M41/M42?

These are great man... yeah I think the head forward on this guy is fine, i mean the weapon is really bulky so it does look like a big thing to lug around, makes sense he wouldnt be at the ready ALL the time. I think its nice to have a mix of models "engaging" and just "ready".  I have some forgeworld guard for me Inquisitorial retinue and I like that some of them are kneeling and stuff.  The Stormcast inquisitrix is awesome, I'd love to borrow (steal) this idea at some point. I agree that its huge for a normal model though, it makes sense for an inquisitor because they have infinite resources and do all sorts of crazy stuff to their bodies but for a "normal" model it would look like a hulking monster. Awesome idea, I love it.

These last space marines are looking really good, as expected from you of course. Maybe I'm just getting used to seeing them, but maybe these primaris marines aren't all bad hehe. 

The inquisitor model looks amazing! I can imagine what a pain it must've been getting the symbol on the shield to fit, it looks great though. And the pose is so cool, I've wanted to do the "eapon resting on shoulder" forever, havn't been able to pull it off on a marine though. However, I would personally add one or two "techy" parts (a vent, small cable or something), she seems just a bit too medieval as she is now. 

Cheers, mate! She's a really cool model, isn't she? A word of warning, though: She's really tall. Like, Primaris-tall. A bit taller even, actually...

Maybe she was born on a low gravity world, or on a space craft so the reduced gravity affected her height.

Cheers, mate! She's a really cool model, isn't she? A word of warning, though: She's really tall. Like, Primaris-tall. A bit taller even, actually...

Maybe she was born on a low gravity world, or on a space craft so the reduced gravity affected her height.
In that case, she needs genetic and/or augmetic enhancements to reinforce her skeleton, so her bones won't snap like twigs in higher gravity environments.

In that case, she needs genetic and/or augmetic enhancements to reinforce her skeleton, so her bones won't snap like twigs in higher gravity environments.
Which would explain the bulk of her power armour.

To be perfectly honest: The Frag Cannon's positioning doesn't work for what you're imagining him to be doing. If he were doing that, it should be held lower than it is, as currently his pose makes it look like he's holding it and preparing to fire it. With something that large and bulky, you don't hold it directly in front of your chest when walking, as it makes it much more difficult. Even for a Space Marine.

So unfortunately, he's going to look awkward no matter what you do, as you actually gave him a posture that doesn't match either firing or striding forward :laugh.:

I'll disagree with you here - he looks like he's repositioning, and the arm makes perfect sense for someone who has just picked up the gun and started moving.

I'd agree with you if he was depicted in the middle of a deliberate walk or something, he would hold it lower/more comfortable.  But when in contact, you want the weapon high, and if you bring the heavy weapon up, you'll swing the barrel higher as you're moving - both so it's easier to train on a new target, and so you don't smack the barrel on a rock or obstacle or something, plus it's just momentum as you're bringing everything up to move.

I see him as having finished engaging some target, then pulling his weapon up as he relocates, and looking for new targets.

So unfortunately, he's going to look awkward no matter what you do, as you actually gave him a posture that doesn't match either firing or striding forward :laugh.:

I'll disagree with you here - he looks like he's repositioning, and the arm makes perfect sense for someone who has just picked up the gun and started moving.

I'd agree with you if he was depicted in the middle of a deliberate walk or something, he would hold it lower/more comfortable. But when in contact, you want the weapon high, and if you bring the heavy weapon up, you'll swing the barrel higher as you're moving - both so it's easier to train on a new target, and so you don't smack the barrel on a rock or obstacle or something, plus it's just momentum as you're bringing everything up to move.

I see him as having finished engaging some target, then pulling his weapon up as he relocates, and looking for new targets.

Gonna disagree with your disagreement:

Look at the Marine's legs. Those are one of the walking/striding forward leg positions. Basically, the positioning of his gun looks like what you said, but his legs say something else :lol:

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! :)

Regarding the Lamenter's pose, I don't quite agree with Gederas that it just looks awkward, period. Would I have preferred a more grounded stance? Sure, but those were the bitz I had, so that's the pose I'll have to live with. It's a bit less "stable" than I would have liked, but there are certainly enough Marines with heavy weapons around with a pose like that, so I doubt I'll be losing any sleep over it -- besides, maybe the model will end up look just fine once painted ;)

As for the Inquisitrix, she is as tall as a Primaris, if not nearly as bulky. I am not too bothered about any possible fluff justification for that, though, because - as you said - the Inquisition has all kinds of crazy tech at its disposal that could allow for more serious augmentation like that. It would be more of a problem if I wanted to turn her into, say, a Sister of Battle, for instance.

I am also a bit reluctant to add too many techy gubbins to her: Much of the model's coolness comes from its very clean lines, mostly created by the flowing robes, and I don't want to ruin that by overcluttering her. A bit of extra gear on her belt, maybe, but don't expect me to go crazy on the grimdark bitz. In the end, I am pretty confident she'll look perfectly at home in the middle of an Inquisitorial warband.