What Chapter symbol will you put on Snake's pauldron? That of the Iron Snakes? A modified Space Wolves symbol, as Snake was a member of FOXHOUND, and wolves are related to both foxes and hounds? A skull, reflecting Snake's literal death wish in MGS4?

True, Diamond Dogs and their Snake is a different one. Maybe a neat idea to make into an IG army. You have your Snake/Marbo and his whole army. Need to go dust off the PS4 and do some tactical stealth espionage now....

Snake looks awesome and the snow on the base is great. Getting some ps1 MGS nostalgia with that sweet poster picture. That poor goon doesn’t know he is living on borrowed time.

I hope this isn't too inappropriate but I was hoping you might be able to share some insights on how you go about creating your Inq28 models. They're all so flavourful and unique, and each group ties together really well.

I started on my Ordo Militum Calixis cadre last night with my bits box open next to my recently-purchased pile of third-party parts and though I had ideas about the personalities I wanted to build and some key bits I wanted to incorporate I feel like the models I've got so far are somewhat, well, generic.

I've been so inspired by your work, particularly the Ordo Scriptorum warband, that a glimpse into the mind of KrautScientist would really help me bring my models together.

Cheers for the kind words, everyone! :smile.:

About that scout like dude, that should either be Sly Marbo or Kal Jerico in astartes form, no?

...seriously, though, buddy: I am honestly a bit disappointed :wink:

Grmbl grmbl. Stom making me feel old. I don't waste my time playing video games; instead, I spend my time doing useful things: building and painting miniatures. :p ;)

I ever played MGS, so there was no way I would've known that reference. Sorry!

He looks coo though - and compared to the actual artwork, very close to the 'real' thing. :)

Your work is magnificent, yet to me your Celestial Lion stands out as sublime! I'm beginning to build a Salamanders army in the Codex: Armageddon style with natural dark skin tones and would greatly appreciate any advice in recreating a similar shade. I only have citadel paints however, so if you could point out an equivalent colour I'd be incredibly grateful!  

Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys! :smile.: Really glad to hear you like my version of Snake. He was certainly quite a bit of fun to build and paint! And I couldn't resist making another small photo montage involving the model:

metal-gear-grimdark-2.jpg

"METAL...GEAR?!"

I'll be leaving him like this, by the way -- my original plan was to attempt to freehand the Foxhound symbol onto his left pauldron, but I do think it would seriously detract from the overall look of the model, and actually make him look less like a proper interpretation of the actual character.

@ Auggs: Huh, talk about a pop culture knowledge gap, if ever there was one -- seems like I'll need to acquanit you with the series at some point. Given your sense of humor, I think you'd enjoy the goofiness and occasional irreverence of it.

@ golfdeltafoxtrot: Phew, that is quite a difficult question to answer, mate -- and probably something I would rather address over at my blog, which you might want to check out some time -- I will give it some thought, though! :smile.:

@ Nocturne Noble: Well, good news for you, then, because that skin recipe is almost laughably easy: I merely used GW Doombull Brown as a basecoat, then washed with Ogryn Flesh (the predecessor to Reikland Fleshshade, which you should be able to use just as successfully), then went back with Doombull Brown mixed with just a tiny bit of white for the highlights -- done!

Good call on giving your Salamanders a more natural skin colour, by the way!

Anyway, speaking of my blog, I've recently collected all the models I have painted so far in 2018, and while I've got nothing on some of you crazy painting machines, I am still fairly pleased with my hobby output so far this year:

six-months-2018-2.jpg

I have managed to (mostly) finish three different INQ28 retinues, start a fourth one and partially finish it as well (my Deathwatch killteam), which means I've made a pretty big dent in my backlog of unpainted stuff!

I've also recently painted one of my favourite models of the recent past, which I'll be posting in spoiler tags, since it's technically beyond the scope of this forum:

My friend Annie recently gave me some of the Ork balls from the new version of Blood Bowl. First, let’s take a look at the painted balls:

orkheim-ultraz-ballz-1.jpg

Now the two leather balls on the left are pretty standard fare, obviously, but that ball-squig just has to be one of my favourite models of all time. I decided to go for an archetypal squig-red instead of the more leathery official paintjob, and I am just in love with this little guy:

orkheim-ultraz-ballz-2.jpg

Maxime Pastourel, bless his heart, even made sure the squig was...anatomically correct when he sculpted it:

orkheim-ultraz-ballz-3.jpg

And seriously, isn’t that the best facial expression you have ever seen?

orkheim-ultraz-ballz-4.jpg

Anyway, you can find my entire round-up for the first half of 2018 over here, in case you are interested. As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

six-months-2018-4.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

Love the recent pic of snake. That just looks super appropriate as well. While I think the Foxhound emblem would have been great I thin he does look awesome as is.

You've also painted a lot of goodies halfway through this year. You've hit them all out of the park, including the balls!:teehee:

Looking forward to more!

I’m loving the fact it’s a load of 40k and then the Bloodbowl balls at the front. Ha!

Great Snake pic again. I love the extra stuff you do to the pics. What do you do to alter the image?

That Nurgle guy is great. I remember when you started the Nurgle models on Eternal Hunt, I got so excited I was telling Pandorasbitzbox ‘he’s doing Nurgle!!!’.

Another knowledge gap?? Sometimes I wish I was a teenager, when I still thought I knew it all. Talk about less is more. 

Anyway - dude! Your hobby output has been amazing! I think this has been your most productive year in the last semi-decade - and there's still six months to go!!!

Congrats! 

Also, that ball is amazing. Well done! :D

@ golfdeltafoxtrot: Phew, that is quite a difficult question to answer, mate -- and probably something I would rather address over at my blog, which you might want to check out some time -- I will give it some thought, though! :)

I’m a big fan of your blog, I’ve been through and read pretty much everything about your Inq28 stuff. Any insight would be appreciated, I’ve started my Ordo Militum warband so being able to understand the process you go through to create your Inquisition models would really inspire my own.

Cheers for the kind words, everyone! :)

@ hushrong: While I think the Foxhound symbol could have been a cool touch, it would arguably have made him look more like an actual Space Marine, when the conversion was intended more as a tongue-in-cheek interpretation of Snake that was also slightly Space-Marine-y, if that makes any sense.

@ Krakendoomcool: If I want to glitz up pictures or make photo montages like that, I usually use a free software named PIXLR -- it's a bit of a one-trick pony, but it's fun to play around with, and there's even a web-based version available.

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! ;)

@ golfdeltafoxtrot: Taking a step back and trying to describe my approach is actually rather challenging, mostly because most of my INQ28 models take shape in a rather organic way. Since your focus seems to be to end up with models that are less generic, I will say this, and maybe you'll find it helpful: You should try to come up with ideas for what kind of character you would like to build. You can start very basic ("I want a heavily armed Inquisitor"), but your results will be better if you try to envision them as a character with their strengths and weaknesses: Maybe your Inquisitor has been critically injured and is now heavily augmented and armoured to the teeth because of it. Maybe he still hates the opponent who crippled him. Try to think about which characters you like -- from books, films, or 40k artwork and lore. Why do you like them? Is there any way to distill what you like them into a model? Starting with a piece of artwork can be a powerful tool as well, because you can choose something that inspires you (most pieces by Wayne England or John Blanche do the trick for me, for instance) and then think about how to re-create it in model form, and maybe add your own twist along the way. One more thing, I usually tend to forget completely about any rules concerns, which may or may not work for you, depending on how much you want to come up with a "proper" 40k model. That being said, I tend to choose equipment and accessories that "feel right" for the character in question, and if that means the model ends up without a weapon altogether, that's fine too. Granted, that last part is obviously more useful if you are mainly in it for the actual modeling and painting experience. Anyway, hope this helps! :)

@ noigrim: Haha, I guess there'd be a couple of classic villains I'd rather build than Senator Armstrong (who struck me as a bit too weird, even for MGS). Still, that "bionic implants, son!" line really made me smile! :)

A small update for today: One of the bitz drops I am waiting for in order to be able to build the next members for my killteam finally came through, so here are some WIP pictures for a Battle-Brother of the Castigators, Commissar Molotov's DIY chapter. Since a whip does appear as the chapter's icon, and the Deathwatch seems to be all about crazy weapons nowadays, I decided I was free to have a little fun with this guy's equipment:

castigators-chapter-icon.jpg

deathwatch-castigator-wip-1.jpg

deathwatch-castigator-wip-2.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

New death watch marine looks great! The pose goes well with aiming the pistol and preparing to crack the whip.

Is that the whip bit from the escher gangers? I want to build a World Eater with a meteor hammer and was thinking about doing the ol' ball and chain look but damn does that whip look like a good substitute too.

Love the Castigator Deathwatch Marine. Looking good! :tu:

However....

@ noigrim: Haha, I guess there'd be a couple of classic villains I'd rather build than Senator Armstrong (who struck me as a bit too weird, even for MGS). Still, that "bionic implants, son!" line really made me smile! :)

I mean, the classic villains were also pretty weird.

Remember: This is a series where eating glowing mushrooms recharges your equipment and your teammates question your sanity when you reveal that to them :lol:

It's like a 'crossover' episode. I hadn't seen the Castigators before but I've had a look at Captain Molotov's thread and they are cool. I'd never seen a space marine with a whip before.

Great pose, and lovely detailing around the belt area. Another brilliantly obscure pick.

Also thanks for the photo tips, I'll try to give that a go one day and fair play for trying to describe the inner workings of your mind. We are interested.

@Augustus r'Raass

Man... if he managed to CRACK it... then the end of that steel whip being cracked by a 10' giant in augmented armour was travelling faster than the speed of sound.

that's going to make someone have a sad face.

The cracking of a whip is the sonic boom of the tip breaking the sound barrier! Even with leather whips in human hands! But yeah, I wouldn't want to be in a dungeon wearing strips of leather when this guy comes in. I wouldn't want to be in a dungeon wearing strips of leather ever, but that's another matter. :D ;)