KDC’s Nurgle Affliction - Renegade Militia conversions

@ DuskRaider

Thanks buddy, really appreciate it. I've heard the 3.5 codex was the golden age. I had a 5 year gap in my hobbying so missed it altogether!

Here are a few more (hopefully better) pics of this guy. Around the back and what not.

img_20191009_145037.jpg

img_20191009_144756.jpg

img_20191009_145133.jpg

img_20191009_145204.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Father Nurgle has blessed you well.

I hope not. So skilled an artist should not be reduced to blindly smearing paint onto models, due to the Plague God's "blessings" granting cataracts and other vision problems.

I have had a minor blessing from Grand Father Nurgle...runny nose, the sniffles and a small horn growth on my forehead, nothing to worry about...

Thanks chaps.

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl

Thank you very much!

I've made some progress so thought I would share it with you great people.

I've finished the Tallyman and made some progress into my Call of Chaos vow...

img_20191021_213053.jpg

img_20191021_213112.jpg

img_20191021_213127.jpg

The idea for additional flies and tentacle monster he is recording on the base comes from his artwork...

250px-tallyman-1.jpg

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl

Thank you. I've tried to match the artwork in the codex. My first attempts are in this thread with a recipe if you're interested.

@ rednekkboss

Thank you. I've gradually got a bit lighter so we'll see how it goes going forward. I'm in the ball park anyway. Look forward to your metallic version.

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Cheers buddy appreciated.

The Blight Bringer is finished and ready to bring the Noise...

img_20191028_142157.jpg

I'm hoping to get the Lord of Contagion finished soon and make some progress on a Helbrute and Bloat drone next.

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you Bjorn, stay ever vigilant for more incursions of Nurgle.

@ ranulf the revenant

Cheers. This is the second time I've painted that particular Nurgling (he is also on the leg of the Helbrute that starts this thread off).

@ DuskRaider

Cheers bud. I am missing out on doing a 30k homage by doing this green. There's not much trace of their original colours. But I really liked that sort of teal green in some of the codex art and hadn't actually seen it about much at all so thought it's something I could do. It's getting a bit paler and almost slipping into Sons of Horus colours. Vykes' Sons of Horus are similar in colour (and I love those guys), this is a complete coincidence or subconcious.

So it turns out I was a lot closer to completing the Lord of Contagion than I thought I was. A quick 30 mins painting session tied him up nicely to the standard I'm currently doing.

It's a little rushed and a tad messy but I have been able to churn out 750 points of Deathguard in about 3 months which is good going for me!

img_20191029_074504.jpg

img_20191029_075213.jpg

img_20191029_075319.jpg

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you very much.

Not too much to report. I'm painting a Helbrute and a Bloat drone. Both are very much in the looking awful stage and hopefully will be in the looking alright stage by the end.

I have attempted to take an army photo. The army I started for ETL and continue for Call of Chaos is 750 points currently and have had a few games. Won some lost some.

It's all new Deathguard range (except FW Nurgle Helbrute/Dreadnought) and painted with contrast paints. I have an old Deathguard army but went quite a while before actually painting these new guys.

I've always found army photos almost impossible. This is the best I've managed to date...

img_20191104_221918.jpg

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl

Thank you very much buddy. I was quite pleased with how it matched the sewage on those Necromunda tiles.

My Call of Chaos vow continues at a slightly too slow pace I feel.

Here is the Bloat drone painted now...

img_20191110_225220.jpg

I've also been slightly side tracked with a little project. It's not completely different as it's still a plague marine but in a different style.

I've recently been on twitter and came across Mr Omelette who paints gorgeous Death Guard (and other mini's). I asked him how he did it and he said he didnt have any tutorials but he would help me if i wanted to paint one like him. This seemed like too good an opportunity to miss. So I've been painting up a plague marine in as close a style as I can manage with his guidance. It's quite different to what I'm currently doing (contrast painting) but similar in a way as it's a lot of washes. The main issue I've come across is how thin or thick to do the various steps.

Here's a particularly fun step of applying Carroburg Crimson as a shadow.

img_20191108_215815.jpg

I might put the whole thing together as a tutorial if you folks on bolter are interested in this style of painting. I'd better check with him also.

In the meantime I'm trying to plug away at my Helbrute and will continue the experiment of trying to paint by tweeted instruction!

@ DuskRaider

Thanks. I have made some mistakes with it but learnt more for it.

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl

Cheers. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I've painted the Helbrute. I found the level of detail great on the sculpt but challenging on the paint step. I found it a bit difficult to get the model to 'pop'. It's a great sculpt and it was tricky to give it the paint job it deserves. Also on a bit of a schedule with my Call of Chaos vow.

img_20191116_231930.jpg

img_20191116_231912.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it.

I've returned again like the seaons to a piece of artwork I really like and keep thinking of how I could recreate it or some of it in model form...

e585f9b7dc7093b8e88a4fbbe84743ae.jpg

It's a picture of the enslavers (krell). They are mind control aliens from the warp...obvs. The civilians mind controlled to form the army of the enslavers and the colours seem to fit nicely wih what I've been doing with my DeathGuard recently. Poxwalkers and GSC neophytes have the civilian theme already and are lovely kits. So it seemed like I should give it another go. The fish bowl helmet in the bottom right corner is the reason one of my mutant cultists has a fish bowl helmet. From previously trying to do this and then going off on a tangent and making mutants. I've also got a pic in this thread of a GSC with a fly on his head, also from trying to make these.

So another attempt...

img_20191124_222822.jpg

I thought about trying to get that blank expression. I was using GSC heads, delaque heads I even considering sculpting the facial features. I then realised maybe the host doesn't need the senses at all as the fly can see etc. This does achieve a blank face even though I've clearly gone off on a tangent again. It fits nicely with my Nurgle units. My Plague Caster in particular is releasing a load of flies with the idea I'd be having fly control cultists further down the line.

Here's the champ...

img_20191205_215602-1.jpg

He's got a fly actually whispering to him rather than plugged into his head.

I've got a whole unit of 10 of these which have taken a lot longer to make than I thought. Finding 10 usuable heads and flies in my bits box alone took some time.

They are in my DeathGuard army so aren't actual enslaves models buts inspired by the artwork none the less.

My call of chaos vows are behind because of this project but hopefully it wil be worth it in the end. Even if spawnhood is the price to pay.