KDC’s Nurgle Affliction - Renegade Militia conversions

Wow that artwork turned into a model would be really cool, I saw a guy on facebook Inq28 group make a model similar looking to that one I can try to find it if you're interested in seeing it. Not sure if its the same thing but it kind of looks like it.

Edit: took me a little while to find it but here it is might give you some ideas! 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2811800272177798&set=gm.2827415573977149&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Edited by Kolgrim DeathHowl

@ Sagentus

Yes that artwork makes me feel uneasy too. Maybe that's what keeps drawing me back in.

@ Rednekkboss

Yeah love the enslavers, I think I was talking to you about doing this about a year ago. Since then had a couple of near misses and still not quite doing them. But that artwork just keeps on giving.

@ PeteySodes

Cheers Petey I'm glad you think so, means a lot to me.

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl

Thanks I'm always interested in things that will spark off some hobby. The link isn't working for me though. Not sure.

I've painted up the BlightLords terminators. Didn't do much to these except paint them. In person I was quite impressed with the amount of detail and character they have. It's not everyone's cut of tea but you pretty much have to go with it. Might as well make the most of these very unusual models.

img_20191218_222147.jpg

img_20191218_222548.jpg?w=1024

img_20191218_222452.jpg?w=1024

img_20191218_222430.jpg

img_20191218_222357.jpg

img_20191218_222233.jpg?w=1024

I've included the back of this guy as there is a lot going on that you wouldn't necessarily know about unless you had them or seen them in person. The massive bulk bursting out of the armour is particularly nice. I could have done with seeing this guy before making my Malignant Plaguecaster/Necrosius. It's all good insiration for future Nurgle conversions too.

img_20191218_222325.jpg?w=976

They are very characterful individually. They sort of have a theme each, the fly guy, the bulging mass guy, the maggot guy etc.

Edited by Krakendoomcool

Try this one if it doesn't work I would goto Inq28 facebook group I've gotten alot of inspiration from there. The post is from Nov 22nd if that helps find it, you'll definitely know what it is when you see it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2811800272177798&set=gm.2827415573977149&type=3&theater&ifg=1

• 4 months later...

I've returned and finally finished painting a Plague Marine I was painting some time last year...

img_20200503_142356.jpg?w=634

This is a bit different to my normal guys, although I gave him the same base as mine for continuity. Some of you might remember me talking about this. It's based on Plague Marines by Mr Omelette. Here's his same Plague Marine...

img_20200503_121852.jpg?w=768

I was getting so obsessed with how he painted his. The colours, shadows, lighting, neatness that I asked him if you had a tutorial and he basically said he hasn't done one but pick up a white primed plague marine, wash it Athonian Camoshade and show him the result and he'll give me the next step. A lot of back and forth, I was finding it a pretty fun process to do on the side. Then I basically ended up with a model almost finished but I've been sidetracked and I finished him this morning.

This might be one of those things that is way more pleasing for me than anyone else. I'm the one in love with his colours afterall. I'm quite pleased now in hindsight I picked this plague marine. He is like the Deathguard version of the 30th anniversary beaky space marine. I've got my very own Mr Omelette marine.

Edit: Also forgot to put the below in.

I posted my Post Apocalyptic Mutant Scum Nurgle Cultists (or DG cutlists for short) picture...

img_20200503_230639.jpg

and was delighted to see Artists Empire had done a 'digital paint over' to show them in a more realistic setting...

img_20200503_230634.jpg?w=1024

I found this to be very fun and hope yu guys do too.

Edited by Krakendoomcool

• 2 months later...

@ Hushrong

Thank you buddy! yeah i pretty much got obsessed with how he painted his plague marines and totally lucked out with him guiding me through the whole thing!

@ Augustus

Thank you! Great to have you onboard, been hoping you would check out this thread for a long time.

OK so what am I doing now? Well, suddenly I'm back making Deathguard models. Been off doing Space Wolves and Orks for a while now.

Was just talking about some OOP forgeworld kits I really loved, Kill Krusha, Renegade Militia, Renegade Ogryns. These are my purchase regrets (I don't have many because mainly I'm more of a hoarder). Then I thought I would see if I could just make Renegade Militia because why not?

So here is my single sitting test model for a Renegade Militia model...

img_20200704_150404.jpg?w=510

Seemed feasible. Basically the model is a kitbash/conversion. The greenstuff to do is the shoulders and head cloth, so it's doable. So I did another...

img_20200705_140326.jpg?w=510

Did him in two passes...

img_20200706_220449.jpg?w=510

Seems like it is possible, so far it is fun too. I'm caught by the hobby bug and momentum right now with these so that might carry me through the ten.

Holy crap! That looks wicked for sure! I was going to suggest buying the renegade militia and ogryn kits from a 

Hidden Content

[AHEM]recaster[AHEM]

but then I saw what you did by yourself and dude you honestly don't need the original miniatures - you can do it better yourself!

@ Augustus

Thank you! Great to have you onboard, been hoping you would check out this thread for a long time.

I'm really sorry I haven't before - I missed a lot of inspiring stuff for sure. Luckily I can look back in time :D :D :tu: :tu: 

@ Sagentus

Thank you, they are a little time consuming but so far im enjoying them.

@ Augustus b'Raass

I did consider a *******. So far it's ok to make them. I wonder if I ever got onto making the Ogryns it would be a lot more challenging and I would miss out on even more character from not having the original sculpts.

I've made a few more, I now have 5. I might make 10-12 as thats how many bodies you get in the guard set I have.

img_20200711_134612.jpg?w=1022

img_20200712_090109.jpg?w=1024

• 2 weeks later...

@Augustus b'Raass

Oh wow, thank you buddy!

Here's a pic of the first 5 from the back...

img_20200713_130753.jpg

It's various plasticard pipe and shapes. The off colour strip is a rubbery strip of rivets. They really didn't have to be all different but they are. Here are the backpacks for the next 5...

img_20200725_073731.jpg?w=1022

For some sort of consistency I did all the attaching wires the same with these ones.

I made four new guys including this comms guy...

img_20200721_150235_840.jpg

Had some fun with him. To get the arm to line up with his head he had no upper arm, just a wire which I sculpted over. Oxygen pack is on his front due to the big comms backpack.

Here's a group shot taking it upto 9 Renegades...

img_20200722_193733_039.jpg

A little bit of detailing to go on these but then it's just the leader. Hoping to get him done very soon, he's quite a few layers so it's taking longer than my excitement finds comfortable! Some of you familiar with the range might start to recognise him...

img_20200722_123904.jpg?w=1024

@ Warsmith Uveron

Thank you very much. I really like the look of those out of production Renegades so had to just make some.

@ acrowsperch

Thank you. I think I've got the bug for makign these now.

Ok so I'm back once again for the Renegade Master...

img_20200725_145654_182.jpg?w=1024

He is totally copied from the FW sculpt here...

torso_a_534da0ae-601e-43b7-8a25-2acc6b32

There is a whole bunch of differences but overall I'm pretty happy when I see him on my desk and he looks more or less like the real thing.

So now I just need to neaten some of these up and add some small details and I'll have a workable 10 man squad.

On the cusp of taking on the Renegade Ogryns, that's on another scale again...

Back once again for the renegade master? Such ill behaviour damaging people and their power from a Wildchild :smile.:

Seriously, they look great.

I am still avoiding, like the plague, doing my own Death Guard chaos cultists.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@ Warsmith Uveron

Thank you very much. I really like the look of those out of production Renegades so had to just make some.

@ acrowsperch

Thank you. I think I've got the bug for makign these now.

Ok so I'm back once again for the Renegade Master...

img_20200725_145654_182.jpg?w=1024

He is totally copied from the FW sculpt here...

torso_a_534da0ae-601e-43b7-8a25-2acc6b32

There is a whole bunch of differences but overall I'm pretty happy when I see him on my desk and he looks more or less like the real thing.

So now I just need to neaten some of these up and add some small details and I'll have a workable 10 man squad.

On the cusp of taking on the Renegade Ogryns, that's on another scale again...

These are the ones for me I really love the use of two heads to make one completely different to either. I think the use of reference material has been brillaint, can't wait to see the rest of you're renegade guard army! The Ogryns would be the next step then some renegade nurgle tanks :D

@ Hushrong

Thank you buddy! I'm having a lot of fun with these.

@ Freakshow668

Haha, that's fair enough for a witch trial I suppose.

@ Marius Perdo

This guy gets it...I've found the cultists to be a real opportunity to just do anything. There has been so many great kits for humanoids recently. This is now my 3rd unit of cultists, all different. I still haven't done any beastmen or classic zealot style cultists.

@ Doghouse

Thank you very much, I'm pretty much obsessed with that style at this point. It's a labour of love.

@ Juggernut

Thank you! If anything doing this has made me appreciate those original sculpts even more.

@ Sagentus

Thank you. I really love that model so wanted to give him a bit of attention, to say the least.

@ Warbinger

Yes mate. Busting like crazy to do those Renegade Ogryns now, and tanks!

@ Lucerne

Thank you. Some of them are just thin plasticard stuck on and bent around the knee. Some are greenstuff knee pads using a clay shaper. Most have a bit of angled plasticard stuck on. The Commander has a little bit more effort with rivets and the blades cut into a bit more of a longer and more precise shape.

@ Augustus b'Raass

Thank you buddy. I'd say you are amazingly placed to do cultists. You do awesome conversions, you sculpt (cloth in particular) and you've been smashing it out of the park with your Necromunda (which is basically cultists).

I was hoping to have made a start on my Renegade Ogryns by this point but my box of Ogryns still hasn't arrived. I've also been side tracked by pesky real life. But I have managed to prime my Renegades. I primed them grey and Warbringer suggested some more side by sides as they are the same colour right now as the FW sculpts.

So this is just a bit of fun. But I've picked a few next to the model that inspired them...

img_20200802_172047_226.jpg?w=1024

screenshot_20200802_123146.jpg?w=1024

screenshot_20200802_123135.jpg?w=1024

They aren't precisely the same. The goal was really to see if I could make these and had no idea I'd be doing a (brutal) direct comparison. Making these has really made me appreciate the originals. I like them even more now if anything.

I also wrapped a couple of bit of sprue in plumbers tape like I've used on the guns...

img_20200802_120516.jpg?w=768

The one on the right is just plumbers tape on sprue, the one on the left has a layer of superglue on top. I rubbed the sprues after priming. The superglue protects the paint but the one that is just tape rubbed off. Worth bearing in mind if you are considering using the tape. I've not tried using PVA or plastic cement for this yet. The superglue has a bit of volume itself and the other glues may be better. I 'invented' using plumbers tape because I forgot you can also use very thin plasticard to wrap also. The plumbers tape is so thin that you can lose definition after the primer goes down, you basically don't realise you've wrapped it so thin as it looks fine on the model. Some of the renegades have come out with great looking wrapping and some a little vague. So who knows what I do on the next time I try this, I actually have very thin plasticard as I used it on the knee pads and wrists.

In other news I found this slice of absolute fried gold again this morning...

screenshot_20200802_071802.jpg?w=679

I really can't wait for these Ogryns to arrive! I'm desperate to get a start on them. I'm currently thinking of copying some of the original sculpts and some of these sketches.