Duz's Custard Creams

duz_

Hi All!

I have not ventured into this forum much despite owning a few Inquisitors, I usually keep them more aligned with my IG collection and WIP as they generally don't have their own retinue.

I had been holding out for a dedicated Custodes subforum and now with the release of the new FW Beta rules for ALL the units I've decided now is the time to start this thread. :smile.:

I do have a fairly reasonable collection so far, albeit mostly unpainted. I blame that on deciding to go with the Solar Watch colour scheme... The guys have sooo much detail... I do think it is worth it in the end.

My hobby goals for this year are to finish some random guard projects I haven't completed and then focus on getting a painted and playable Custodes army.

Some pic's of my collection so far

My initial purchase

gallery_87434_14331_471076.jpg

I actually have Trajann at a semi decent TT quality, but apparently not uploaded any pics of him yet :sweat:

I've built most my bikes! Although I do have 1-2? boxes left to build since I did these...

gallery_87434_14331_251727.jpg

My first bike and scheme testing, Vallejo colours helped me achieve the ivory and gold I wanted :biggrin.:

gallery_87434_14331_118357.jpg

The Terminators are possibly some of my most favourite models in 40k atm

And this is essentially my only fully painted model in a year or so of collecting... :ermm:

gallery_87434_14331_390808.jpg

My xmaspresent from last year

gallery_87434_14331_105974.jpg

Which is now doubly so thanks for FW's release today! :biggrin.:

He's already washed, ready to assemble and magnetise

Over the long weekend last week I managed to build 10 Custodians to finish of my battalion requirement

gallery_87434_14331_96679.jpg

I already had assembled and magentised 1 box, these guys I didn't bother with

Local store had a 40-50% clearance sale on GW the other week picked up some more models that I probably didn't need...

gallery_87434_12480_277764.jpg

:wink:

Hopefully will order some of the new Venatari soon too

Having finally kicked off this thread, I hope it spurs me more to finish this army sooner! :happy.:

And for those wondering

gallery_87434_14331_23438.jpg

DTxYwdfXkAEuq5R.png

Well at the sale the Allarus were 40% off... So now I have 3 boxes of them :D :sweat:
I visited a friend in Seattle last summer and borrowed his army to play a few games. It was a bucket load of fun!

I found some pics of Trajann:

gallery_87434_14331_212969.jpg

He's actually standing next to a not FW Contemptor.... that is probably the last not FW model I'm going to purchase... the details on it sucked and was badly miscast it hasn't progress much further than that photo

Some shots of my first Custodians being readied for magnets

They were actually fairly easy to do

gallery_87434_14331_227033.jpg

Well well. Looks like I can creep on you here now Duz.

By the way. You’ve got work to do to catch up to me. Hahah.

Ahh crud.... :ermm:

Yes I certainly do! :sweat:

Edited by duz_

I run Trajann for narrative games - he is truly a beast.

Trajann even at his previous point price was a beat stick! I'd literally march him up the middle of the field, he'd tank any hit the wreak havoc later! With his adjusted points he's an auto take for me! :)

Your painting and modeling skills are enviable.

I really like the cream filling color you've done! They look really sharp!

Appreciate the compliment guys! Thanks :blush.:

• 2 weeks later...

Well an unexpected commission came up (I rarely do them)

My friend wants 2 Callidus tanks painted and shipped for the 23rd of the month! :sweat:

He sent me a FW one direct although he bought the Annihilator by accident and I'll be offloading an average chinaforge cast that convinced me FW is the only way to go for custard creams

I already learnt a lesson on the chinaforge model... paint in sub assemblies! The elongated sections make it tricky for the airbrush to get into certain areas and I'm now have to mask off 3x more than I would have had to otherwise :ermm:

Ohwell live and learn! Fortunately he only wants the standard gold colour so I hope to get it done in the next ~10 days

Although I have challenged my self to lose some of my gamer bod so no extended hobby sessions without some exercise (ideally) beforehand

gallery_87434_14331_391351.jpg

gallery_87434_14331_108382.jpg

Oh and should be collecting my Venatari off Diet this Thursday :D

Edited by duz_

Thanks! I used an airbrush to base coat them, I don't think I would have tried it otherwise

The Vallejo Air [off] White (RAL9001) is just the colour I was chasing followed by a Sepia wash (I think I thinned it down a bit)

Spent nearly 1.5hrs last night taping up the Caladius tank so I can spray the main chassis gold :ermm:
Next one I might try some liquid mask see if that helps?

gallery_87434_14331_80351.jpg

Tonight I'll try and get the gold down (2 layers) and a wash, which should take it to 80% completion! :biggrin.:

I'll try and spray the gold with Sepia too and then wash the silver with Nulin, I might leave the red as is and just recess shade
Then glosss the whole thing, if its too much I might tape out the red again and then hit the main chassis with a satin coat

If I get a chance I might even get some base coat on my 9 Custodians I primed the other day too :biggrin.:

Edited by duz_

Ha, you know I just realised I said Prot instead of Duz :sweat: Prot is of course part of the woodwork here :biggrin.: 

I'm a bit fan of Seraphim Sepia on gold so I think it's gonna look great. I'm gonna be cheeky and ask when you intend to start your Telemon... that will look very striking in these colours!

Haha I did wonder! I assumed Prot was a permanent fixture around here :P

The Telemon... well that was meant to be shortly after I finished my other IG projects (finish Ogryns, finish Baneblade/Hellhammer chassis, finish 3rd Demolisher...) 
However that got bumped down a bit with this last minute commission... However its going to pay for my own legit FW Caladius so I cant complain too much! ^_^

I does bring up a question I've been pondering myself though....

For the vehicles and Telemon, do I paint them off white or gold? 
I am undecided to be honest, I just finished my Shadowsword which is a large off white tank and its very stark 
I'm not sure how the Custodes stuff would look at that scale, the Achillus I think is just small enough to pull off, the Telemon I'm not sure

Either way I am really wanting to build and paint him soon! I'm just trying to be restrained ;) 

I does bring up a question I've been pondering myself though....

For the vehicles and Telemon, do I paint them off white or gold? 

I am undecided to be honest, I just finished my Shadowsword which is a large off white tank and its very stark 

I'm not sure how the Custodes stuff would look at that scale, the Achillus I think is just small enough to pull off, the Telemon I'm not sure

Either way I am really wanting to build and paint him soon! I'm just trying to be restrained :wink:

Yeah that is a connundrum, I've never seen a Solar Watch Telemon. I think you should paint it like a giant Allarus :tongue.:

I shall wait patiently for you to start the Telemon while ogling all the other models you do beforehand :thumbsup: