Legio Favilla walks - Ashen Gods unleashed

Sherrypie

What’s the rectangle made from? I like the bottle caps.

They are packaging for microscope glasses, my brother studies fungi and occasionally has nice litter laying about. The bigger caps aren't actually from bottles but from blood sugar level monitoring sensors' placement tools.

... I'm a simple man, I see trash and I recycle it :D

Roight, proper pics from the last week's hurdle coming together at the demonstration table!

I went to Tracon Hitpoint, a small gaming convention at Tampere, and demoed some 7-8 games of AT over the weekend. Lots of folks came to see and compliment the visual display, some quite convinced they might buy into the game too after seeing it in action. A resounding success, almost as grand as Edax Rerum's heroic action in one game where I managed to first in a single volley of bolt and plasma to kill a Hound from zero to silenced with four criticals, next turn run under a Reaver's shields and do the same thing to it AND survive to tell the tale even as the third opponent tried to avenge its comrades but only managed to take Edax to three crits on its legs. Brutality :D

I went with a Reaver + 2 Hounds on both sides, as three moving parts are required for proper tactical decisions on the field, games took between 1-2 hours depending on the players. Felt good, will do again, though next scenery projects will include ruins and glowing craters too. Some height for Warlord LOS-blocking also required, though for demos this setup worked very well. Some hard blocks, lots of -2 and difficult terrain to tackle.

These pictures really benefit from you clicking them larger. Hope you enjoy them too.

1036032_sm-.JPG

1036033_sm-.JPG

1036034_sm-.JPG

1036035_sm-.JPG

1036036_sm-.JPG

1036037_sm-.JPG

1036038_sm-.JPG

1036039_sm-.JPG

1036040_sm-.JPG

1036041_sm-.JPG

1036042_sm-.JPG

1036043_sm-.JPG

1036044_sm-.JPG

1036045_sm-.JPG

1036046_sm-.JPG

1036047_sm-.JPG

1036048_sm-.JPG

Thanks fellas!

Now that there are some decent buildings, I should do some higher cliffs with inbuilt structures on their sides as well as flatter foothills that can be put under some of the smaller buildings to liven up the place with some natural features. Not all places should be flat nor all height come from skyscrapers in an urban environment.

A buddy of mine made a wonderful 40k urban board with styrofoam boards (the thick ones for insulating buildings). He glued several layers on top each other and then cut out roads, a steep incline up a hill and a ditch with two bridges. Looks very much like what happens when a city grows up a hill and according to him it wasn't hard to do with a bit of cutting and a hot air gun. In a few select areas he even kept the original structure, painted as grid metal ^^

• 1 month later...

Battle report time, Favilla walks again!

1500 points, getting my Mortis buddy back into Titanicus again with a good ol' pedagogical trashing. He played a full Axiom with midrange guns and fists, I had a turbo-agressive light Venator/Ferrox combo with Tempestus rules (basically I may get to shoot back with vengeance when my engines die, which proved very impactful in this game). We drew a basic mission setup and he went for Vital Cargo while I took Retrieval. Captain Erasmus was in trouble and needed extraction, a titan warzone is no place for small but important individuals!

1042647_sm-.JPG

My Retrieval objective is the little marine near the toxic pools.

The battle started with the sound of ringing klaxons as my air support screamed over the Mortis lines, dropping bombs and mines all over the place. I really rate the Strafing Run stratagem, since it forces constant small admin on their shields and allows more opportunistic situations to rise for my Venator team (with a Melta Reaver paintrain at its head). I also threw Scatter Mines in their lines, making it hard for the Mortis to sprint forwards with their cargo if they didin't want to risk leg injuries. If they didn't, and they didn't, they'd be boxed in their deployment zone as I surged against their formation.

1042649_sm-.JPG

Fight for the dominance of the anti-air battery raged on as the unheeding gods battled around them.

1042650_sm-.JPG

As the Mortis deployed hard on the left flank, Favilla's frenzied Ferrox group strode on to meet them.

1042648_sm-.JPG

The Hounds rush on full speed, as the Mortis half-heartedly fire in their general direction. Cineres Immensis catches a bit of flak though and almost manages to blow its core out, but carries on bravely.

1042645_sm-.JPG

Meanwhile, the centre erupts into a hellscape. Captain Erasmus climbs aboard Occisor Spesi as the two Hound squadrons and the nearby Reavers unleash a torrent of death against each other. Concentrated firepower, raging machine spirits and defiant princeps giving their all weave into a blur as Occisor blows up, almost takes its attacker with it (Tempestus rules are awesome), falls into a slag injuring Echo's legs, Erasmus is thrown out of the window into the acid pool and everything catches fire as mines and bombs rain down from the skies above.

1042646_sm-.JPG

The left flank advances and takes position for a future charge as the Hounds let loose on the Reaver, who loses its shields and is then carved open by Aurora Terribilis down the field.

1042644_sm-.JPG

Sensing their cargo being in danger, Mortis call a Blind Barrage on the Reaver on death's door, but too late as Cineres next to it bathes it in autohitting flames. The roaring hellhound and its mate get a bit trampled in return, as the fallen god-machine topples on them and injures both doggos legs before the furious Warlord charges in to silence Cineres permanently for its deeds. Again, the defiant princeps refuse to give in and as the power wanes down in the grip of the Warlord's powerclaw, they empty all promethium from their inferno cannons and burn the Warlord some, opening the way for Ruina Superborum as it picks up speed and counter charges through smoke and rubble. A whirr, a screech and a horrid snap follow as the Reaver strikes six times into the burning midriff of the Warlord, tearing it open and trampling its fallen form to dust in triumph.

1042643_sm-.JPG

The midfield is littered in wrecks and flames as the last two Mortis engines try to stop Aurora Terribilis from running home with the captain, but barely get past its shields in time.

1042642_sm-.JPG

Just before running home, the battle is cut short at the end of the fourth turn. The Mortis were badly stuck in their deployment zone and lost the cargo to the rampaging Ferrox group, scoring nothing while the Favilla were one turn short of running away with their prize. As consolation, the secondary kill points were quite truely enough to show that this field was ours, and the Death's Heads were driven out to the wastelands by the vengeful Ashen Gods.

Very nice stuff!

Now that there are some decent buildings, I should do some higher cliffs with inbuilt structures on their sides as well as flatter foothills that can be put under some of the smaller buildings to liven up the place with some natural features. Not all places should be flat nor all height come from skyscrapers in an urban environment.

I am currently contemplating the same idea. About to order some glue for my hot glue gun so I can get busy with it. Eager to see what you come up with!

Really great table! I love your use of epic elements as scatter terrain; especially in your demo games it drives home that these are real big boys.

Thanks! That's the intension, besides scratching my own aesthetic itch for having soldiers on the battlefield it's a very effective "wow factor" for passersby to look at and wonder about.

Very nice stuff!

I am currently contemplating the same idea. About to order some glue for my hot glue gun so I can get busy with it. Eager to see what you come up with!

Do it! Your terrain efforts are a joy to follow, even as mine will probably be pushed more towards the summer.