Today in Titanicus I...

TIAT I started painting our first set of battlefield assets and built the second. Over the weekend my partner and I played our first game (Reaver+Warhound+Knight Banner each). They aren’t sure if they are sold yet on the game, but they like the basic ideas and we didn’t play with orders, and they definitely see where that will add a lot to the game (particularly Split Fire!). Then I’ve build two more Warhounds so this weekend we can take Venator maniples for our next game.

Im very tempted to start a Traitor Legion of my own: Legio Panthera, also known as the Infernal Herders. Im a bit clueless as for what scheme, very maybe mostly iron coloured with some black panels and accents. Your thoughts?

The Infernal Herders? I love the word Infernal but Herder is less scary lol

Black panels look good on titans, I’m thinking of adding them to my white titans.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Im very tempted to start a Traitor Legion of my own: Legio Panthera, also known as the Infernal Herders. Im a bit clueless as for what scheme, very maybe mostly iron coloured with some black panels and accents. Your thoughts?

The Infernal Herders? I love the word Infernal but Herder is less scary lol

Black panels look good on titans, I’m thinking of adding them to my white titans.

Herding humans like cattle. Dunno yet...maybe Infernal Pastors instead?

Sounds like you're looking for something similar my traitors' theme.  I love the idea of a legio that blasts the Warmaster's rhetoric and believes they're enlightening everyone to the truth, that's why I called them the Aurora (dawn). What about Catechists or Lectors?  The Infernal Catechism sounds scary. 

Are we not due an Engine Kill article today? It said a new one on last Monday in the month didn’t it?

I thought so too, although as the Titanicus preview article saying that was at the beginning of this month, that might've been February's installation so I'm guessing it's the last Monday starting next month

(that said, we've had articles like this delayed a day or two previously so it *could* emerge tomorrow?) 

TIAT I stared longingly at my Warbringer while working on custodes for 12MoH2020. I'm determined to get started tonight!

Actually having the model really turned my opinion of it around.

I've also scrapped the work on my custom transfers for Vulturum; after getting mentioned in 3/4 books I'm fairly confident that they will eventually get some official attention.

Do you really need to use gloss black?

Yes. Or gloss white sometimes, but the gloss is key. At a microscopic level, the gloss is reflective because it dries very flat. The color-shifting paint is a bunch of tiny flakes of material that act like little reflectors and refractors, imitating little prisms. The gloss is necessary to have light bouncing around correctly to those flakes. The colors you see aren't created by pigment, but rather by the size/shape of the molecules and the angle you're looking them from when they're aligned on a reflective plane. That's also why they look milky in bottle but the color shows up when it's applied over the gloss.

I experimented with brush on gloss primer this morning and you're right, the gloss coat is really important to get the flakes to pop.  I've never used spray gloss primer before so I need to get a can at Walmart.  I guess it would be easier to spray the panels on the sprue, brush on the Turbodork paint, then I guess cut them out and touch up the vent spots with primer, and then paint all the trim bronze like I plan to.

I kinda like the Floor Is Lava red->orange paint for my Ember Wolves but I'd probably do iron trim.  I already have 3 Warhounds build and primed Leadbelcher so I'd use the brush on gloss primer for those 3 while spraying the next 4 on the sprue.  So much to do....

Hey I forgot to ask that, a regular gloss varnish coat brushed on over my usual black primer should work?  I also want to see if a white oil paint pen will work over it to make runes then give that a super thinned coat of contrast blue.