Today in Titanicus I...

I said this when the Reaver was released: it’s like they cast a Reaver in glass, dropped it, then made a sprue from the shattered pieces.

Looking over the almost-complete Reavers, I can't help but wonder what they were thinking. Some of the parts could easily have been cast as one-piece units instead of the puzzles we have.

So legit question.  As someone who's hated putting together the Reavers WITH A PASSION... is the Warlord worse?  The Warbringer?

And in other news!  Had my first 'playing it right' game yesterday.  Just a tiny 2 warhounds on each side match.  But fun was had.  I emerged victorious due to superior maneuvering, though I did lose a Warhound (and for two turns was down to one titan, though one of his was still in a bad state at 2 leg crits).  Thing might've gone different if we'd been using Squadron rules yet too, though I probably would've played differently then too.  So who knows?

I'll also never underestimate stupid Vulcan Megabolters from here on out.  Sure they seemed good for taking down shields, but those things hurt me more than the Plasma Blastguns!

(Opponent ran one Warhound with twin Megabolters, and another with twin Plasma Blastguns.   I ran a Plasma/Megabolter, and a Plasma/Turbolas one that died before it did anything other than soak a lot of shots while my other titan got to the rear of the enemy)

I think Reaver’s are the worst to build. The Warbringer fixes many of the issues, especially if you build it in a stock pose. It even has markings on the shin plates so if you paint them separate, it’s super easy to match them up.

I said this when the Reaver was released: it’s like they cast a Reaver in glass, dropped it, then made a sprue from the shattered pieces.

Looking over the almost-complete Reavers, I can't help but wonder what they were thinking. Some of the parts could easily have been cast as one-piece units instead of the puzzles we have.

Well they wanted the Reaver to fit in an infantry box so it's very broken up.  If they had used a bigger box they could've easily done the legs and carapace in few pieces but for a game they had no plans of stocking in their stores GW certainly seemed to want to use the smallest boxes.  Heck I could've totally been happy with buying 2 Reavers at a time if they could've been simpler to build while fitting in a Warlord box. :dry.:

So legit question.  As someone who's hated putting together the Reavers WITH A PASSION... is the Warlord worse?  The Warbringer?

The Warlord is much more straightfoward but again, watch the legs. It's easy to put the thighs on backwards because you'll think the knee is bending the wrong way...until you mock up the armor plates which jut way out.  Less is more as far as posing goes, it's also very easy to have your 100' Warlord look like it's trying to pick up loose change or start a break dance move.  One foot a step out in front of the other with a little bend to the knees is basically enough, these aren't supposed to be athletic. 

The Warbringer has pins that let you safely assemble it into a default pose. It's a little static, but if you want more range the pins are easy to cut. The feet are sided like the Reaver, but have an R and an L cast inside the ball joints so it's harder to get wrong.

The Reaver's legs are indeed the most challenging to build, there are quite a few constraints requiring constant attention. No secret, dry fit, dry fit, and dry fit even more. Not only the bits involved in the step you are working on but also those coming later.

Today I had a quick look at the previewed Cerastus Acheron and Castigator. I put their pic next to the one from the Lancers and the Lancers' sprue. I highlighted the components specific to the lancers and the ones not showing on the preview pic. This gives an idea of the room available for the Acheron and Castigator weapons. I think we'll get a single sprue, reusing the common parts, modifying the carapaces and replacing the specific lancers' bits with the weapons for only one of each new knight.

gallery_116407_15011_146523.jpg

Dug a bunch of Marine, Stormcast and Fantasy bits out of my boxes but I was unable to find the small Empire shields and halberd tips I wanted to add to my knights.  I found some Vampire Counts bits but nothing that says "medieval" enough for a loyalist household.  :down:

I've got maces, swords, axes, and even a few other bits like a trumpet that would hopefully look neat to start gluing tomorrow and hopefully get sprayed. If I had done this sooner I'd be able to take advantage of 66F temps tomorrow but I'm going to strip/repaint my knights once so I want to get this right this time around. :happy.:

Saw someone on facebook having converted their Warlord to have a bell between the void shield generators. Might just have to buy a Warlord myself. Would be a lovely way to represent Devotional War Sirens, if I were to land on Legio Defensor (I can't make my mind up on Legio).

Might be able to fit a bell hanging on the Reavers too, if only for the looks.

The power fist can be modeled held straight out, I plan to do that with a Reaver holding a chain with several titan heads dangling from it as trophies to Khorne. You could hang a bell from that. 

Tonight I added thunder strike gauntlets to a few knights and added some more medieval weapons to carry my theme. 

Edited by Fajita Fan

Speaking of Fureans, I have finally settled on a Legio. In part because Fureans look cool, they seem like they'd run well with the sort of aggressive play I want, and their naming conventions borrowing from (among others) Hindu myth, opens up some interesting ideas.

Say it with me now.

KALI MA SHAKTI DE

Fureans are a great choice. They're popular, so don't expect to be alone, but you have a great combination of colour scheme and rules. I seriously considered them for my own traitor Legio but went with Mortis in the end. I've had enough of painting flames on my Astorum!

Speaking of, I got a fair bit done last night on Penumbral Reaper. I'm working on his armour plates now. Going for a fairly muted look and will attempt some patches of rust. I want my traitors to look very different to my loyal titans, with the onset of decay beginning to become evident.

Krytos has such an impeccable colour scheme. That verdigris and that industrial orange pair so well, it's like something you'd see in the Homeworld RTS game. 

Xestobiax is questionably traitor but their scheme is pretty bright if you do enough white panelling. Even then their purple isn't that dark.

Fureans, for sure.

Tempestus look like a kind of pale, dusty blue with white in the FW colour plates but in practice there seems to be a split between folks who paint them as a pretty vivid, rich blue and folks who paint them with a mix of darker blue and grey patterns. Either way they have a lot of white.

Vulpa aren't that dark but it rather depends on how much attention you give the trim and how much purple you use.

I don´t know if this is a new info to you but the new Knight box for the Archeron/Castigator contains 4! Knights

http://hosting.photobucket.com/images/x120/DarkBjoern/4/90621639_1331342523716556_5260810199970611200_n.jpg