30k Hobby Chat

2 hours ago, dicebod said:

I'll second this. Lots and lots of tanks are all well and good but I'd really like to see some movement on core troops.

Absolutely this, particularly in an edition so clearly aimed at encouraging large numbers of marines

I'm getting close to finishing sevatar now. Finishing up the hands, and the lights and wires on the base are the last big things before varnish. After that, it's lightning (and armour touch-ups), blood and weathering effects.

Edit: just noticed his belt buckle really needs some straightening out, so that's a priority. Also missed that his glaive has a tiny power weapon generator bit; what colour should I do it as, or should I just leave it metallic?

PXL_20220802_203417900~2.jpg

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

19 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Edit: just noticed his belt buckle really needs some straightening out, so that's a priority. Also missed that his glaive has a tiny power weapon generator bit; what colour should I do it as, or should I just leave it metallic?

Maybe a darkened, sorta grungy metal? There's nothing about that part that really needs to draw the eye to it; the shape of the glaive blade already does that.

33 minutes ago, A Melancholic Sanguinity said:

Maybe a darkened, sorta grungy metal? There's nothing about that part that really needs to draw the eye to it; the shape of the glaive blade already does that.

Painting it energized is less to do with drawing attention to a part of the model and more because I have a compulsion to do things the way they're "supposed to be" that I have to actively work against lol.

14 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Painting it energized is less to do with drawing attention to a part of the model and more because I have a compulsion to do things the way they're "supposed to be" that I have to actively work against lol.

I get you; but the generator component of power weapons typically isn't aglow, from what I remember. I'd consider trying to make it look like a sort of scorched, blued metal, implying constant proximity to high-energy discharges?

1 hour ago, A Melancholic Sanguinity said:

I get you; but the generator component of power weapons typically isn't aglow, from what I remember. I'd consider trying to make it look like a sort of scorched, blued metal, implying constant proximity to high-energy discharges?

The circular bit that is usually on the blades (and features on Sevs glaive) has been painted to glow with energy for the past while in a lot of official schemes. And more importantly, is how I paint them on my models lol.

Love the colour combination on those terminators @Sarabando, they look great!

I have realised my crusade-era WEs have Titans but not enough Gargants to face them so have put this duo together. They are steam gargants so I think I'll paint up as Snakebite clan, just for something different.

20220803_102822~2.jpg

1 hour ago, Pacific81 said:

Love the colour combination on those terminators @Sarabando, they look great!

I have realised my crusade-era WEs have Titans but not enough Gargants to face them so have put this duo together. They are steam gargants so I think I'll paint up as Snakebite clan, just for something different.

20220803_102822~2.jpg

These are cool. Are they for Titanicus?

I ordered some basing rubble for my Ravenguard. This is a test mini and I’m pretty happy with how it worked. What do you reckon?

4C646F64-96AD-4BFC-9119-A434229BF0C5.thumb.jpeg.ec58d7b417bec47b2111485d53bdf4ef.jpeg

He looks great! Again the eye lenses, the metallics, even the sand-stone type base really contrast with the black nicely (and some nice edging on the black itself). There is also just something about Raven Guard and Mk6.. :cool:

The Gargants are actually for Epic (Great Crusade-era) although perhaps eventually they might get used for AT as well! I have been told there are some fan-made rules in circulation for xenos titans. 

2 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

He looks great! Again the eye lenses, the metallics, even the sand-stone type base really contrast with the black nicely (and some nice edging on the black itself). There is also just something about Raven Guard and Mk6.. :cool:

The Gargants are actually for Epic (Great Crusade-era) although perhaps eventually they might get used for AT as well! I have been told there are some fan-made rules in circulation for xenos titans. 

Thanks. I’ve actually used contrast on my tacticals so they were very quick, at least for the black. I sprayed black, did a top down zenithal spray of grey seer and then doused them in black Templar - which required a few minor touch ups but not much. I’m very happy with the effect/effort ratio. 

Randomly picked up some FW terminator upgrade packs yesterday. Justerian and power axes for cataphractii randomly came back in stock.

I got the Justerian upgrade for the MM mostly, but was going to also grab the tartaros upgrade and some dark furies...but they were both out of stock again.

I finally finished up sevatar!

79629650_PXL_20220805_1715113073.thumb.jpg.8379512e413797886e511e3b30c39d64.jpg

190395593_PXL_20220805_1715449992.thumb.jpg.f2376e70fb69f19fb0e06d67c4188bb4.jpg605317980_PXL_20220805_1716159082.thumb.jpg.588c0559aaa15927afe2ea6ffd6e6a8a.jpg527740194_PXL_20220805_1716363072.thumb.jpg.d147bd8d1f64e43ef0a6ed2eeb6ff3fd.jpg

I went back to do the collar in gold like was suggested, I found more scroll-work that I'd missed, and I tweaked the buckle like mentioned earlier.  I also changed the red on the gloves and added a bit more detail to the angel wing in the finished version. Most noticeably, I just blacked out the sides of the base, as it's really just a cut-out for the larger display base. It helps frame the model a lot better than coloured sides imo.

Thanks to everyone who contributed over the last few posts!

Some friends of mine were comparing their versions of Rogal Dorn, which gave me the inspiration/excuse to have a go at him and a break from my RGs. There were some techniques I wanted to try out and this seemed like a good opportunity. Here’s where I’m up to. 

9A1ADD38-D465-4F5E-9170-9EDCCACF625A.thumb.jpeg.beed9e454108c6234ac70c883467abd0.jpeg

that’s actually a slightly silly photo, taken through my magnifying lamp. It does show off how shiny the liquid metal gold paint is - though it’s a pain to work with. I shaded it with highly diluted (with Lahmian medium) contrast paint, which has given rich shadows. I plan to add a bit more of a highlight.  

4D70BB43-D206-4985-A842-0B34BFBAF794.thumb.jpeg.c70e1023b16717d10199d84721a83719.jpeg

For the face I attempted to follow the masterclass method from Warhammer tv. It involves a fairly light base that you colour in with glazes. I think it’s come out pretty well. 

my longer-term plan is to cut a bit out of Dorn’s scenic base for Sigismund to stand on. Here’s a rough mock-up of how the two of them would look on it. I think I might order Fafnir Rann to take the other side. 
16331B5A-BD65-445E-92E3-7C4827294A30.thumb.jpeg.070f056f2b4d9aca2c164b70b164b123.jpeg

Nice work on Rogal! If you’re open to comments, though, the skin tone looks a little washed out next to the bright gold and white hair. It may well just be the lighting, but it might be worth considering more contrast to differentiate between the three areas?

Also, I love the cloak on Sigi, that looks great, what’s it from?

Thanks for the feedback. It’s tricky with Dorn because I think he’d have quite light colouring, but I take your point on the contrasts. I’ve made the cloak quite dark for the same reason, but generally you have just a lot of mid-tones to work with. I’d have to take the skin really dark before it was noticeably darker than the gold and I don’t want to do that. 

350F3DD3-A1A5-4358-8488-A6E96079CCA7.thumb.jpeg.6c1ae9d98346e1b90d5f806aca2ea3a9.jpeg

Edit: here’s maybe a truer photo of what Dorn’s skin looks like. I don’t have a great set up but this is using the inside of the AoD box. I could afford to add some more colour around the cheeks, definitely.

Sigi’s cloak and legs are from the BT Marshal. I bought the army set, rather foolishly, and I’m sure I’d never use him for 40K. The feet are from a MK3 resin set that’s been in the bits box for years. I’ve never really liked the Sigi model and I realised that it was because to me the legs are too small for the torso. Giving him this bigger new pair has fixed that issue. 

Edited by Mandragola
Added a pic.

That photo definitely looks better, the other option is more shading on the gold around his neck? But that second photo is for sure an improvement. I’d be hesitant to do anything to the face, not only because of what you said about his likely skin tone, but also because you’ve done a lovely job!

I 100% agree on Sigi, the model just doesn’t quite do it for me, but your conversion is much better.