9th edition incoming

TiguriusX

If you have a Battalion and a Patrol you can get 5 HQ's and 4 Troops plus up to 8 Elites and 5 each of Heavy Support and Fast Attack. Or 4 Planes if you are so inclined.

Taking say 3 squads of Intercessors and 1 Assault Intercessors feels like a nice core to an army and should only cost you ~400 points at the minimum (though obviously if you want Hammers and bigger squads it'll be more.) You then have 10 CP to start with (11 if you bring Bjorn) and we now have a regen strat plus the natural one per Battleround, so you should have 15-18 to play with over the course of a game. Seems solid to me.

EDIT: I failed at maths.

Edited by Vassakov

Yeah as this gets more and more revealed the Bat-Patrol is looking ideal for my list designs from the past. Some shuffling still to be done but I think 5 hqs and 4 troops will do nicely

Yes, 2 CPs fewer than a Brigade but a lot fewer mandatories. A lot like the way dual Bat was generally prefferable to a Brigade in 8th.

Assault intercessors in my personal opinion dont beat out  standard ones. 

They'll probably get the expanded Sergeant/Pack Leader options later.  But for now, you're right.

Ok so for now regular intercessor are better and if in the futur we can give a hammer to the pack leader, assaut intercessor can become better ?

Kinda bummed out about the stormshield change, my wulfen will probably drop down to one squad now unless Stormshields drop in pts.

Storm Shields are, currently, 2pts per model. That is insane value for a 3++. A 4++ for 10pts would be an absolute bargain.

2.  Another slight change:  If a model in target unit (for either ranged or melee attack) has already lost any wounds, or has already had attacks allocated to it this phase, the attack must be allocated to that model.  In the past you had to allocate attacks to models in a unit that had already been wounded, but now you also have to keep allocating to a specific model, even if that model already made saves; it is a small change, but super easy to miss.

3.  Each model in the unit must finish its pile-in move closer to the closest enemy model (I believe this is a change from just the first model moved.  Now they all have to finish closer).  This could force you to move into Engagement range of a unit that you haven't Charged, too.  Same requirement for the Consolidate movement - each model has to finish its Consolidation move closer to the closest enemy.

4.  A model can fight if it is in Engagement Range of an enemy unit, or if it is within 1/2" of another model from their own unit that is within 1/2" of an enemy unit.

5. Whether from shooting or close combat, all attacks you have declared are always resolved against the target unit even if, when you come to resolve an individual attack, no models in the target unit remain in range.  In other words, you can't pull models in such a way as to keep part of an attacking unit that hasn't gone yet from getting their attacks.

6.  Big Change - you can now target models that performed a Heroic Intervention, even if you didn't declare a charge on them.  No more Characters getting to attack with no risk.

7.  Players alternate taking Morale tests for any units that have suffered casualties this turn.  Once all units have taken Morale tests, conduct Unit Coherency Checks.

[...]

18.  Command Re-Roll limited to: Hit, Wound, Damage, Save, Advance, Charge, Psychic Test, Deny the Witch Test, or roll for number of Weapon attacks.  Can no longer be used to keep a Vehicle from Exploding, or Morale, etc.

Otherwise, so far, I haven't run into any changes that hadn't already been discussed or published by the Warhammer Community folks.  

I do want to point out that #3, #5 and the ordering part of #7 are all the same from 8th Edition:

3. This was always the case for Pile In/Consolidate. Models had to end their PI/C moves closer to the nearest enemy Model on a model-by-model basis. The only thing was that the first model moved when Charging needed to end within 1" of a declared enemy model.

5. Again, this has always been the case. If a unit declares, say, Autocannons and Flamers against an enemy unit that's got guys strung out from 8" away to 20" away, even if you do the Autocannons first and they remove the closest models, the Flamers still get to shoot. This is unchanged from 8th Ed.

7. Morale has always been alternating (current player/passive player) in 8th Ed. The Cohesion check is, however, new.

2, 4, 6, and 18 are all very interesting points. 2 especially is important for those units that had "ablative" models (eg, Long Fang TDAWGPL with Storm Shield). For some units it's not much of a change, but for others (eg, Deathwatch with a few Storm Shields thrown in) it might make a significant difference.

It looks like making Lone Wolves will be slightly easier. If your goal is a LW, just make sure to remove casualties so everything is out of coherency, then remove all models except your LW after morale phase.

Ha, well, that's certainly a technique.

I would say throwing away models to make a lone wolf might be a bit...situational. Might be an idea for a 3 model unit like aggressors if you already lost one model and one is already wounded. Sacrificing a wounded one to make the leader a lone wolf would actually be pretty awesome, assuming the new character status makes it better protected.

The 4++ stormshield really hurts the wolves and I don't think they will drop the cost of wulfen / thunderwolves enough to balance things

While I agree that this really hurts wulfen, I think it was the right call overall. This change makes SS more relevant for most other units vs the lower AP attacks. I am also seeing Harold getting upgraded to a relic shield, which means he might see some play finally.

Thematically I really like the Stormshield change, crunch eise I do hope things like TCav and Wulfen are treated appropriately due to the reduction in durability, though I dont think it's as bad as it looks. The +1 to the base armor save is pretty beneficial and will help alot for tcav versus small arms. Wulfen are hurt more than tcav as the 3+ is not as good. They will need to rely on cover for sure to get in. Or outflank shenanigans.

On the whole though this looks to be a good edition. No rules have blown my mind to hard. Eagerly awaiting FAQ and official points of course. And might need to pick up my painting pace, though not sure if my group will implement the 10 points or not. We have a fair amount of new guys so we might phase it in slow. But really it looks like the community at large was listened to and they really set out to make improvements. My first read of the GW released rules didn't reveal any glaring issues to me yet. Will have to read a few more times of course but all in all I'm happy.

I read the core rules and the new terrain rules... They boosted a little, units like cavalry, bikers etc who couldn't get on the second floor of ruins with 5'' vertical engagement (at least they can reach some things now) but they siginifically reduced the models that can fight with 1/2'' instead of the 1'' that was before. Also the interesting changes I saw was the no more fall back and shoot with fly keyword.,no penalty to hit for heavy weapons on vehicles and the morale and coherency shenanigans against cheap horde spams. The new reserves rule is meh... Now the biggest impact will come with point costs... Marines look pretty expensive so far... Let's see...

Snip...but they siginifically reduced the models that can fight with 1/2'' instead of the 1'' that was before. ...snip

They actually didn't though. They only required you to bunch up a bit more by closing the gap between the ranks. You will still be able to fight with 2 ranks of marines which was all you could do (assuming legal 33mm bases) in 8th. Now Guardsman and other 25mm guys lose a rank as technically they could fit 3 ranks. But there is no significant reduction for any marine unit besides servitors and scouts which I doubt are fighting in 3 ranks anyway lol.

Chainswords getting AP-1 helps make Grey Hunters competitive again vs Intercessors.

oh ? even without a hammer for the sergent ?

can always take a pack leader with hammer so it's not really a missing option

And you can take both a PL and WGPL in a single GH pack. As well as doubling up on plasma. I think that this helps to keep a place for Hunters in our lists.

And plasma got a decent buff too due to it becoming UNMODIFIED hit rolls of 1. More more dying cuz the opponent is stealthy! (Assault intercessor sheet plasma pistol)

That is a nerf for us...we have keen senses

Is it? You could only use Keen Senses on one unit per phase, and I'm not going to miss having to spend the CP. Also, we're assuming this will carry over to all Plasma Weapons which, at the moment, we don't know for sure.