Cheers geez, a compliment off you always swells the ego.

You seem to know a lot about the seller. *flicks on light* ist yee ze seller of ze dweadnoughts?? 

++EDIT++ 

Decided to use the dread for the LotD, Ill grab one for the Wolves another time, tbh I didnt feel ready to do a black and red chessboard detailing on the fist yet. 

PROCRASTINATION :thumbsup:  and because I really wanna paint flames all over it. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

21 hours ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Cheers geez, a compliment off you always swells the ego.

You seem to know a lot about the seller. *flicks on light* ist yee ze seller of ze dweadnoughts?? 

I know him from when he started out selling stuff, he jumped over to Etsy because random people kept copyright claiming his more generic stuff. No way in heck I'd try and sell knock off GW stuff! :laugh: 

Nice work on the commander, what did you use for the tabard?

Morrisons value bog roll and superglue. Eventually Ill sculpt over the top for detail but I really dont wanna sculpt anything yet. I may just gave a sculpting day at some point and get everything done at once. 

Finished building Centurius' squad. Just need to build a few more squads of Guardsmen then I can prime a load of stuff all at once then get these bad boys painted.

image.thumb.jpeg.2ba567426abd3f686fb0ddc70434f5b9.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the LotD novel, there was hardly any LotD in there, what a waste of  my time and cash. Ahh well you win some and loose some... *shrugs* 

Started painting some of Centurius squad, entered the Kill Team painting comp and thought Id do these beauties. :) I still hate painting flames though. Grrrrrrrr. 

• 2 months later...

Putting the LotD on hold, the size difference between Centurious and the HH Mk6 really bugs me, so I might build his squad out of Mk6 bits from the tactical squad, Ill figure something out eventually.

I have started another project though, Blood Drinkers using the 1st ed scheme. Here is the test mini I did. 

2022-12-17 21.27.00.jpg

and other dudes I have almost finished.

2022-12-24 07.17.22.jpg

Finally got some paint on the Dreadnought.

2022-12-24 07.18.18.jpg

Medic based on this bit of art from 1st ed.

War Paint : Blood Drinker Priest Markings - Wargaming Hub

2022-12-24 07.19.13.jpg

Tacticals.

2022-12-24 07.20.00.jpg

Assault.

2022-12-24 07.20.36.jpg

Devastators and Ancient (Lieutenant in 1st ed).

Im just bouncing between squads painting one guy here and there, that way I dont get bored painting batch painting and I dont feel so stressed, win win in my book.

1 hour ago, Urauloth said:

Liking these beakies. The classic apothecary scheme looks good - I'd forgotten about it, but I like it more than all-white armour.

Cheers Frater, I have been going through all the old books and WD mags  for any old images, the Rhinos used standardised codex grey or camo schemes so I get to go nuts with my transports. 

Blood Drinkers - Warhammer 40k - LexicanumBlood Drinkers - Warhammer 40k - LexicanumBlood Drinkers — Warhammer 40k - Lexicanumimage.jpeg.e56b200e17e5f1f360dcdd3b4ad10aae.jpegimage.jpeg.fcddcab3e705476db4c65f412e77cbc1.jpegimage.jpeg.9e92782c70ee3e419d71f87be7e3586f.jpeg

image.jpeg

Did this for the Boxing Day Bash, getting tired and making mistakes so Ill stop now before I balls it up more. So yeah Centurious has got some paint on him now. Yay... 

2022-12-26 20.01.40.jpg

Just ordered another ten mk6, that will bump my Devastators up to a full squad and leave me bits to convert a Chaplain and a Librarian. I might convert up another  Techmarine as you need one per vehicle/dread (except bikes) and I want to squeeze a Rhino and a Predator into this army as well.  Then all I need is another 5 Assault troops and may add some Death Company (Death Company back in 1st edition were just normal marines who have taken a blood oath, so Ill just run them as a normal squad of marines). 

Pic of the old 'Death Company' for nostalgic reasons. 

early-marines-paintschemes.jpg

Started my Vets, loosely basing them on the old marines with terminator honours.

For any newer players this was the inspiration.

Wd118p76070145SMwithterminatorhonoursx-01.jpg

and I have got this much done, I need to source some tiny crux terminatus (terminati?) to add to them, some 3D printed pads (Im lazy and cant be bothered painting the chalice) and a few pouches and gubbins so they stand out a bit more from the tacticals. The crux pads I have tried matching as close as possible to the OG sculpts, and making the one leftie marine was frustrating. 

2022-12-31 01.12.48.jpg

Great work! It's pleasing to see inspiration from older versions of 40k brought up to date. I remember having the pocket money to afford a Blood Angels Dreadnought or I could buy a Sergeant Centurius and I picked the Dreadnought. In hindsight I chose poorly. Dreadnoughts were never going to go away (unless you count the Forge World ones :wallbash:)

Good to see you managed to get hold of the blighter. I also vaguely remember that Mephiston conversion, I can't remember what he was armed with though.

Keep an eye on ebay and you might get lucky, I know 40 quid a pop isnt cheap but they were the cheapest I have seen him in a while and I just had to. FOMO is really kicking in atm as I have seen something I always wanted to get back in the day but never had the chance, I wont mention it here as Ill probably jinx myself and someone else will beat me too it. Ill just keep my fingers crossed and hopefully Ill be making a 'yay' post on the 11th instead of a 'gutted I missed out guys' post.

In actual news that I can talk about, I have started my Mephiston conversion and got base coats on Centurius' cousin 'Steve'.

2023-01-02 16.16.37.jpg

I changed the weapons from the Blanche inspiration, I gave him a staff as I didnt have any suitable swords. For old games hes just a bog standard Sorcerer, current he is a Master of Possessions. Lightings crap here today so cant get a good shot. 

Decided I need some Scouts with the puffy sleeves, not too sure what minis to use to work from though. Im thinking of using old mk7 lower legs and cod piece with sculpted cloth upper legs, poofy arms I can sculpt or try get some of the fantasy Empire bits.  But have no ideas what to use for the torso, I kinda like the cheesy WWF belt they have going on but that isnt essential, as seen in the catalogue page not all scouts had it. Anybody got any torso ideas I could shamelessly steal?

40k-retcon-shuriken-scout-01.jpg

++EDIT++

Re jiggled my ebay shoping list now I have found some more bits, gonna pick up another 17 Mk6 marines, 5 will finish off my Devastators, 5 will be Assault Marines/Vets (I found some more jump packs and terminator crux pads) 5 will be Death Company and the last two will be conversion fodder for another Techmarine and a Chaplain and a Deimos Rhino and Predator. Once all thats done the only thing Ill need to add is Terminators and I think the armys done. :thumbsup::banana:

Got most of the work done on the Librarian and Techmarine, and decided my not Templar commander of my homebrew chapter wasnt good enough, so I turned him into a Chaplain instead.

2023-01-06 08.46.43.jpg

Family shot.

2023-01-06 08.47.35.jpg

I must admit this army has been an absolute joy to paint, I think its because they have no trim unlike Chaos marines. :laugh:

21 minutes ago, Doghouse said:

Might be worth looking at the Advanced Space Crusade plastic scouts, the army is coming together really nicely.

Cheers geez. :thumbsup: Tbh I was thinking about the old scouts, saw some of the Combat Patrol ones (bright pink plastic) on ebay for a good price, and with the scale difference they will actually pass as kids juvenile killing machines. Tbh I really couldnt be bothered converting them, Ill just throw cash at the problem to make it go away. :laugh:

Im gonna stick with the Heresy Tanks just for scale reasons, the Mk6 look comically large next to them. 

2023-01-06 20.31.45.jpg

Gutted that I gave my old scouts away when the plastic multiparts came out, regret doing that now. 

I wanna get the rest of the squad painted to the same level, but when I open the yellow all motivation leaves me as I hate freehanding chapter badges and the helmet stripes end up wavier than a noodle. One day Ill get it done, eventually. 

Great to see this army come together. I have a Rogue Trader rhino and predator waiting for some paint stripper - I think I might swallow the crazy scale difference, not sure if opponents would object though …

PS I’ll see if I can find any tiny cruci terminati (plural of crux terminates?) for you, there are a few in terminator and sternguard sets, might be some in bits box.

we also need to get you some custom decals for those shoulders?

2 hours ago, Doghouse said:

I think you're doing a good job mate, especially the text on the banner. I'm not sure about the chapter icon but have you tried masking tape for the helmet stripes? The shading on the Librarian's loin cloth (never quite sure what to call that) looks good as well.

Im an idiot, I didnt think of masking tape lol. Im not quite happy with the Librarians apron thingy, I think I need to blend the highlights a bit more, it looks a bit rough when your actually holding it.