Kill Team - Nachmund - Box and CSM Revealed

Joe

the armour design mostly makes me think of the Visarch. which makes sense.

Yes! Even though I lament the lack of (full)helmets, the extravagant choice of fur coats and such decorations makes me love them. This is the right way of 40k silly.

Beautiful models. So much character

Tempted to build two units in different color schemes

Since they seem to have multiple options, I reckon they're like the Veteran Guard and you'll need two sets of'em anyway to build all the possible load outs for a Kill Team.

These are fantastic - they look so much more like Corsairs than the Forgeworld ones ever did!  They look very much like various Eldar walked away from their various groups (worlds, ships, fiefs, etc.) and banded together and have some armor and weapons from their old life and what is probably armor and weapons from previous crew members (which may be very old or very new).  Their armor blends what appears to be Dark Eldar, Craftworld Eldar, and Harlequin-esque stylings together, but not directly merged, just on the models in varying proportions, which is what Corsairs should have been anyway.

This is Eldar Corsairs done correctly, and I foresee lots of me doing withdrawals at the bank for them (assuming there are enough uses for them in an army)…

Edit:  For the helm with ears - the Visarch’s helm is also styled vary similarly, with the top spike and ears, but the eyes and nasal area aren’t as specifically Dark Eldar styled.  It’s actually very cool to see some shared similarity for that, because the Visarch’s armor is supposed to be an ancient armor style and should visually show that style was later inherited in different ways by various Eldar appearances.

Really nice models, if I had Eldar or DEldar I'd be all over these. I still think I'll go with Rangers when I do Eldar in Kill Team.

Given that the last Kill Team expansion saw a shiny new kit (Sororitas), and an older kit with a new upgrade sprue, I wouldn't be surprised if Nachmund is similar - if so, I bet it'll be the Chaos Marine squad with a new upgrade sprue that is in this set. Happy to be wrong though..!

The only way I see power armored CSM kill teams happening if this is similar to the Chalnath box. Given all the reliable rumors coming out about the upcoming CSM release, it really seems like we'll be getting new cultists, and KT would be a perfect release spot going off the general format seen so far.

v6yVsui7FKvsphIq.jpgDoes the individual with all the blades have a warp jump generator on their back?! :O If it is that's class.

That is a great spot!

These are really nice. As mentioned, hopefully there's a few options in there. The Warcom article shows the wraithcannon guy holding a shru cannon so it's looking likely.

My sunblitz brotherhood will be getting reinforcements!

That assassin looking model also appears to have a Warp Spider-esque teleportation backpack.

Would be super awesome of that guy can teleport around slashing people with his duel knives.

Sure looks like that's the idea.

I'll have to buy this, hope the box is good.

Not to call anyone out in particular but folks just making stuff up should remember some of us were there for the old models and there are plenty of pictures online...

The OG Eldar semi retconned into being Corsairs: 

http://www.solegends.com/citrt2/rto4eldar/index.htm

http://www.solegends.com/citrt2/rt402eldarcmd/index.htm

Now FW had a relatively limited kit budget to make a unit more interesting than Eldar troops with extra weapons and chose to work from some of the early art/fluff like this piece below and use the basic guardian (And as it turns out the DE kits work fine too) kit as a base, adding more guns and the distinctive helmet on top of the iconic (and uncastable apparently) wings:

https://miniaturemiscellany.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/rteldar.jpg

Corsairs in 2nd edition for example had the problem of just not being very interesting despite being a simple repaint of Guardians and right there in the codex. Obviously being meaningfully pre internet ive no good way of seeing how the whole community felt but honestly i dont think ive ever seen an example of 2nd ed corsairs? 

Anyhow, it really wouldnt take much to make these work with the FW kits, they are working from the same principles, just with the advantage of being able to create an entire sculpt specifically to be a corsair, which obviously makes the sculpts more characterful, they even appear to be using a lot of the same unique weapons, with more added. All it really needs is the Jetpacks (Which should work a LOT better in plastic) and using a few of the helmets, which they might, this is the Elite version so the basic Corsairs presumably look a bit less extra ;) 

Of course they could also maybe fix the current Corsair rules to fit the old army list better or even bring them out of Legends but thats a mild amount of work so i wouldnt expect it.

To me they look like a mash up of Dark Eldar, Normal Eldar and Pro Elves from Blood Bowl.

There's upsides and downsides to that but I'd have preferred if they looked more like their own thing rather than a collection of bits from other ranges. 

They aren't their own thing though, they're outcasts.

Not to call anyone out in particular but folks just making stuff up should remember some of us were there for the old models and there are plenty of pictures online...

The OG Eldar semi retconned into being Corsairs:

I wasn't 'making anything up' I just wasn't refering to the actual 1st edition Eldar that came in 40k branded boxsets, who are just early Craftworld Eldar (not retconned into anything). I was refering to the uneven-ness and mix of styles you get in the assortment of art in the old rulebooks. The Orks and Squats had a lot more of the feel I'm talking about than the Eldar did, as did the conversions that show up in White Dwarfs and diorama spreads than the catalogue models.

The Eldar I was most thinking of is the Eldar Adventurer from page 188 of the Rogue Trader book.

Though that guy carrying a harp from RT 402 does exemplify what I mean he's the only one there that does.

All it really needs is the Jetpacks (Which should work a LOT better in plastic) and using a few of the helmets, which they might, this is the Elite version so the basic Corsairs presumably look a bit less extra :wink:

FW Corsair helmets were lame 'different for the sake of different' designs with no thematic logic to them. The whole range just felt like they could be any alternate Eldar faction with slightly variant war walkers and hornets instead of vypers.

There's nothing 'iconic' about any of the stuff FW did with Corsairs. Only a few elements of the main 40k range like Boltguns and Goff cheques count as vaguely iconic. The winged jumppacks are at best 'signature' and the helmets not even that.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Anyone who hasn't been in the hobby since day 1 would absolutely all think of corsairs as jet pack wearing Eldar.

Just because its not the first iteration of the design, doesn't mean its not the most memorable. Simply being the most memorable part of a design by very definition makes that iconic. Not iconic for Eldar as a whole. But absolutely is for the specific faction of corsairs.

If you went and asked people "what's the first design point you think of for corsairs, absolutely a majority of players will say lil wings and backpacks. To be honest most people probably wouldn't remember the helmets though.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

Anyone who hasn't been in the hobby since day 1 would absolutely all think of corsairs as jet pack wearing Eldar.

Just because its not the first iteration of the design, doesn't mean its not the most memorable. Simply being the most memorable part of a design by very definition makes that iconic. Not iconic for Eldar as a whole. But absolutely is for the specific faction of corsairs.

If you went and asked people "what's the first design point you think of for corsairs, absolutely a majority of players will say lil wings and backpacks. To be honest most people probably wouldn't remember the helmets though.

Meanwhile I played through that whole era and while it might have been “iconic” for the concept of Corsairs at the time, I also thought they never really looked like what I thought of as Corsairs and found the whole depiction unimaginative - so I purposefully never think of them that way.  :wink:  I specifically did not play Corsairs because of how daft the visual seemed to me (even though the Corsairs idea has been my favorite type of Eldar) - it put me off using them in their entirety (and I’ve never personally liked the Dark Eldar enough to want an entire army of them, but had considered numerous times adding them into my Eldar force with some judicious shaving and green stuffing as the Corsair component).

This absolutely looks better to me, and visually fuses the “outcasts of many Eldar using whatever they get their hands on” concept together spot on - which speaks to what the concept of the non-Craftworld, non-Commorragh, non-Harlequin, non-Exodite Corsairs would actually be.  I wouldn’t mind at all a few wings or even a full “throwback” concept where you could equip each one with pixie wings (large or small) and a jump pack, and it would be great for those that wanted to, but this concept for Corsairs is far and away superior to the previous “We’re Craftworld Eldar Guardians with Wings and Face Masks!” version.

In the end, it comes down to personal taste.

=——————————=

The Harlequin Shadowseer has had the crystalline neural disruptor since it’s release in plastic back in like 2014/2015 though, so it’s not a new thing.

This absolutely looks better to me, and visually fuses the “outcasts of many Eldar using whatever they get their hands on” concept together spot on - which speaks to what the concept of the non-Craftworld, non-Commorragh, non-Harlequin, non-Exodite Corsairs would actually be.  I wouldn’t mind at all a few wings or even a full “throwback” concept where you could equip each one with pixie wings (large or small) and a jump pack, and it would be great for those that wanted to, but this concept for Corsairs is far and away superior to the previous “We’re Craftworld Eldar Guardians with Wings and Face Masks!” version.

In the end, it comes down to personal taste.

I guess my one comment on this is that Corsair fleets, which we've had in miniature form since the late 90s, suggest nothing of "using whatever they get their hands on"

Corsairs.jpg

But as you say, taste! And really they should look different, one band from another - they aren't part of a macro-culture (or are they?)...

Corsairs.jpg

Corsairs.jpg

I definitely do think the new models far better capture this description from Mymeara 2nd edition of the Troops choice of the army:

Corsairs.jpg

In contrast, the 1st edition of Mymeara's Corsairs troop choice does better reflect a militaristic cadre - depending on how one envisioned "its ship crews".

Corsairs.jpg

All interesting to review :)

Edited by Petitioner's City

Well not really, it literally comes down to model budget, there was no way FW could match this level of model with a single conversion kit so they did extremely well with limited resources and produced what is broadly considered a decent, different looking range. Furthermore theres literally no good reason they couldnt do both, or at least leave the door open to both kinds, as i hinted, plenty of folks already did that, the older FW lists were pretty decent for encouraging and rewarding a bit more kitbashing. 

And Closet, you reeeeeally need to squint not to see proto Eldar Guardians in those old models, sure, one of them has a Harp but thats RT thing rather than a Corsair thing.

Does the crystal pistol remind anyone else of this?

qtsILGZ.png

Very good catch!  Here are the weapons from the discord leak, handily collated on dakka. It seems to be classed as a neural disruptor:

20220122_231231.png

Harlequins have had it since 7th or whatever.