[DW] The Desolation of Innocence (RPG OOC Thread)

Mazer Rackham

@Mazer Rackham if Arcturion were to target Gene-Stealer #8 with a smite, would he be able to BBQ the as yet unseen/unidentified blips (presumably more xenos lols) behind the south door with bouncing warp lightning? 

Edit: I'm unsure how line-of-sight works with that ability (though I suspect it would chain to nearby targets per the rules as expected?).

Edit 2: *Forget* it, we're doing it live! 

Edited by Necronaut

10 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Question?

Even though Philemon fired (No pun intended) his Heavy Flamer Vs the Hybrids would'nt it have hit Genestealer #7 too, as it went down the corridor?

I wasn't sure, but I know last turn it climbed the wall, so I wasn't sure if it would be out of reach, didn't want to assume I'd get it?

17 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Question?

Even though Philemon fired (No pun intended) his Heavy Flamer Vs the Hybrids would'nt it have hit Genestealer #7 too, as it went down the corridor?

He did, but the Stealer was not targeted as a primary target, and was elevated with sufficient height to be another target altogether.  As a Dev I assumed he'd taken Unrelenting Devastation which allows for another 1D5 damage to Horde magnitude.  Instead of shooting him in the face with an Autocannon, I gave him the benefit of that instead.

17 minutes ago, Necronaut said:

It was literally just asterisks, but no problem. Sorry! :(

Edit: I forgot the board policy; I was trying to get my post up as quickly as possible with a modicum of humor while dealing with two screaming children. Won't happen again. 

You don't have to apologise - seriously.  I knew your intent, and I think we all appreciated the fast humour, but I don't want you to be caught out.

We look out for our people in the Nook.

I'm worried by your statement though - you won't let your kids scream again? :tongue: :blink: :pirate:

6 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

I wasn't sure, but I know last turn it climbed the wall, so I wasn't sure if it would be out of reach, didn't want to assume I'd get it?

Good call.  See my comments above. :wink:

Ooh, I forgot about making that pick from the Dev section...

8+3d5 (Rerollable) is a NASTY amount of Mag Dam... :devil: :biggrin:

Edit: Unrelenting Devastation added to Philemon's sheet!

Edited by Lysimachus

Yep, I got that, so I know he can't Dodge. I'm asking, because it doesn't specify what kind of Reaction you use to avoid a Grapple, if I can use a Parry (which I can still use)

edit: clarity

Edited by Lysimachus

9 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Yep, I got that, so I know he can't Dodge. I'm asking, because it doesn't specify what kind of Reaction you use to avoid a Grapple, if I can use a Parry (which I can still use)

edit: clarity

Agreed.  It specifies Reaction, not Dodge.

It's a very good question, because I can't seem to spot anything that precludes it, however, my instinct says no.  However, I am not satisfied by this, and I will do some digging and come back with a better answer.  If not, we will fudge it.

For now, assume your reaction is used, and play may continue with Korvaan.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

34 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

It's a very good question, because I can't seem to spot anything that precludes it, however, my instinct says no.  However, I am not satisfied by this, and I will do some digging and come back with a better answer.  If not, we will fudge it.

By the book parry works as normal - you smack the guy trying to grapple you with your sword, and the grapple fails.

It has always suffered from the same issue as charges and all out attacks, where you need someone else to use up your opponents defenses so that they don't just sidestep your only attack for the round. Though at least it doesn't bounce off high invulnerable saves.

I think i've only seen one character use the rule, a khorne marine with the 'horns' armour upgrade that prevents attacks from being parried on the charge. They would grapple, hold the opponent in place so that they couldn't be hit back, and then end the grapple as a free action on their own turn to make a full lightning attack.

16 minutes ago, A.T. said:

By the book parry works as normal - you smack the guy trying to grapple you with your sword, and the grapple fails.

It has always suffered from the same issue as charges and all out attacks, where you need someone else to use up your opponents defenses so that they don't just sidestep your only attack for the round. Though at least it doesn't bounce off high invulnerable saves.

I agree.

I've rummaged, and I'm satisfied because the Grapple allows Reaction, a Parry can be used as a defence against one.  

I may have overcomplicated a seemingly simple thing, but not making sure is how you freeze your bibbles off in a Russian Winter. :wink:

Don't do anything!

Let me read it first, may be ok as it doesn't affect anything.  I know you're keen to get the HEAVY FLAMER working!

EDIT: Yeah, it's fine.  I noticed you didn't invoke your Demeanour there, but you did RP it.  If you'd like, I will allow you the benefit of your Demeanour to be used in place of the Fate Point you spent?

On a related note, posting all that gubbins again would have made me barf through my eyeballs, so I'll save us all the experience. :biggrin:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

41 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

EDIT: Yeah, it's fine.  I noticed you didn't invoke your Demeanour there, but you did RP it.  If you'd like, I will allow you the benefit of your Demeanour to be used in place of the Fate Point you spent?

Very nice of you sir, thank you kindly! :thumbsup: