Imperial Guard Rogal Dorn Battle Tank

9 hours ago, Emurian said:

Imo the Russ turret doesn't make it look weird rather it's the boxed look of the hull itself, hence I opted to retire my Russ for a Mortian standin (same height and width but +50% lenght.) I think the added lenght fixes the Russ looks. Not sure if I'll pickup the Dorm or convert one of these boys.

20220411_160145.jpg

20220411_160156.jpg

20220411_160128.jpg

20220411_160246.jpg

How was the Mortian tank to assemble? I have been eyeing one, but resin tracks don’t fill me with confidence 

This mock up is very flawed for a number of reasons (thanks @Emurian for sharing your pics!), but I think it's reasonable to say the Mortan will be roughly in the same league as the Dorn footprint wise, though I bet the Dorn will be a bit taller. It's interesting that Mortan and GW have separately attempted to scale up the Russ while still having a playable model, they've both ended up with a similar form factor.

Mortan Owners should rejoice, with the right weapon fit it should be a pretty good proxy.

tANKS.png.1c1db2be5b754eebcdce9dc786bcd5aa.png

Edited by Beaky Brigade

On 11/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, Squike said:

would like to see how that Mortian sizes up next to the Dorn, and also have you got any of the Mortian medium tanks for size reference?

No sorry I opted for the MBT as overall the dimensions align with the Russ.

It takes some effort to assemble the tank but nothing to complicated. I have 2 more lying on my pile of shame. I recently had the urge to paint some Vostroyans again with the IG dex incoming so they might get off the pile.

Tracks where a slight issue, one of them didn't align perfectly so I had to cut off the extension and fill one connected part with 2 rlly small balls of putty. It's not noticable after painting. 

There are ppl alrdy showing conversions in the Mortian discord to function as the Dorn, go check it out :). 

• 2 months later...

Such a strange decision. I get that you can't see the bottom of tanks on the table so realistically it isn't going to effect gameplay and it was probably to save sprue space but these are models that are meant to be picked up and looked at and it just leaves the kit feeling incomplete. You can plasticard it but the price you are paying you shouldn't have to be doing that.

Just now, lansalt said:

Yeah:

Hide contents

1218596423_Screnshot2023-01-21194153.png.4a458060cc968a1d372684646cba062e.png

Ive bought better quality knock off toys.

Think in universe they had to skimp on materials because of all the heavy stubbers Cawl has slapped over everything and he has passed it off as the new Cawl pattern escape hatch?

Ech, if it saves a few quid off the cost or gives more options it seems like a sensible choice, if someone wants to fill it it's pennies of materials to fix, I probably would myself to magnetise the tank to a base easier.

5 minutes ago, caladancid said:

You are not wrong, its a very sensible choice by GW. They save money, and can sleep safely knowing someone, somewhere will defend selling a premium product like this.

And you'd rather spend more money on a flat, detailess panel most people won't ever see? Because it's a whole nother half sprue to fit that in and paying for it feels ridiculous, not "premium" when I can replace it with cereal box card for free and nobody would ever know or care.

The savings will be passed on to the customer right?

Right?

Unfortunately this will probably become the New Normal and a year from now anyone who still dislikes it will be told, "it's been like this for a long time now, what were you expecting?"

2 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

And you'd rather spend more money on a flat, detailess panel most people won't ever see? Because it's a whole nother half sprue to fit that in and paying for it feels ridiculous, not "premium" when I can replace it with cereal box card for free and nobody would ever know or care.

Premium generally infers you get a complete product and not one with corners cut, yes. Especially when you know that price wasn't kept down because of said 'half a sprue'.

Edited by Lord Marshal