Imperial Guard Rogal Dorn Battle Tank

19 minutes ago, Brother Borgia said:

That’s not what he is talking about. 

There is a view port on the side of the hull right under the commander hatch ( when the turret is facing forward ) similar to the driver view port, but waaay behind. 

A transport capacity would explain the shell trap at the junction of the upper and lower glacis ( an assault ramp ). Lower glacis Melta would in fact have the same use as the one on a Mastodon : a wall breaching device. 

Anything’s possible but I highly doubt it’s a transport, I’d bet on it not being a transport to be honest.

So what's fluff behind this tank? Is it another "was always there" moment or is it a "new tank in honour of my brother" kinda thing?

I like the idea of naming tanks after Primarchs and personalities.

Probably use something less direct personally, like "The Vigilant tank" or other monikers of Dorn. Seems more subtle and a little more depth than the shallower direct naming convention. Nevermind.

3 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

So what's fluff behind this tank? Is it another "was always there" moment or is it a "new tank in honour of my brother" kinda thing?

Probably use something less direct personally, like "The Vigilant tank" or other monikers of Dorn. Seems more subtle and a little more depth than the shallower direct naming convention. Nevermind.

I'm with you on finding it a slightly weird name - my personal head canon is that it's a Praetorian Battle Tank, with Royal Dorn an informal name amongst troops.

Given that the Macharius is characterised as just one of a number of "second generation Baneblade" designs, I would predict that, whatever the in-universe reasoning behind the tank's name, its origin will be in the "second generation Baneblade" design programme.

2 minutes ago, painting.for.my.sanity said:

I'm with you on finding it a slightly weird name - my personal head canon is that it's a Praetorian Battle Tank, with Royal Dorn an informal name amongst troops.

Theory we've been discussing on the Heresy Discord is that it 100% was the Praetorian Battle Tank originally, but was re-named the Rogal Dorn at some stage as a mark of honour. If it's a pre-Heresy design it was likely down in gratitude for Dorn's defence of Terra.

It's probably just to keep some consistency.

Everything based on the Chimera chassis is named after a mythical creature.

The Guard line battle tanks are named after Primarchs, and now that we have a second one next to the Leman Russ, it's a pattern.

35 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Unit fluff is really lean in codexes these days, so it will just be there.

13 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Thing is, the Praetorian is Rogal Dorn. Everyone knows (in universe) who that is, so it's already in his honour. 

"Praetorian" doesn't refer exclusively to Rogal Dorn the individual though, it's a general term used by a multitude of things, not least Ultramarine Breachers or Guard regiments from the world of Praetoria. It could also just mean things related to Praetors; you could interpret the phrase "Praetorian battle tank" as meaning "battle tank which belongs to a Praetor" or "battle tank from Praetoria" and either would be completely valid. 

Kids that are into Games Workshop, but haven't been into it for decades don't know who "The Praetorian" is, but they will find out easily who "Rogal Dorn" is.

As above, the connotations of calling something "Praetorian" are deeper, especially when you consider things need translating into different languages and written onto boxes. 

48 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

"Praetorian" doesn't refer exclusively to Rogal Dorn the individual though, it's a general term used by a multitude of things, not least Ultramarine Breachers or Guard regiments from the world of Praetoria. It could also just mean things related to Praetors; you could interpret the phrase "Praetorian battle tank" as meaning "battle tank which belongs to a Praetor" or "battle tank from Praetoria" and either would be completely valid. 

It's not going to be named after Praetorian Breachers, it's going to be named after The Praetorian.

That's like saying The Avenging Son isn't Guilliman because Timothy from round the corner threw mud at the car of a man who splashed his dad in the rain.

It's obvious who the Praetorian is.

4 hours ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Saw a youtube vid that suggested this has a transport capacity due to windows or firing ports on the sides (behind sponsons) and belly design

Possible transport variant or different datasheet?

Those aren’t windows or firing ports, they’re slots for mud/dirty to come out of.

2 hours ago, fire golem said:

I imagine they’d have mentioned transport capability/a transport option in the article if there was any. 

Or in one of the many rumors/leaks

1 hour ago, painting.for.my.sanity said:

Why is it any weirder to have a tank named the rogal dorn than it is the leman Russ?

41 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

It's not going to be named after Praetorian Breachers, it's going to be named after The Praetorian.

That's like saying The Avenging Son isn't Guilliman because Timothy from round the corner threw mud at the car of a man who splashed his dad in the rain.

It's obvious who the Praetorian is.

It's even more obvious who "Rogal Dorn" is. Well done for making it clear why that was the chosen name. 

36 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

That's the point, it's so obvious and direct the writing is, in my view, shallow and simplistic 

are you seriously suggesting that calling the tank Rogal Dorn is shallow and simplistic writing? Or is this me just 'not getting the context'?

Are Shermans or Abrams examples that the real world also has shallow and simplistic writing?

5 hours ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Saw a youtube vid that suggested this has a transport capacity due to windows or firing ports on the sides (behind sponsons) and belly design

Possible transport variant or different datasheet?

The vision ports are probably for the guys to look out of instead of taking a stubber round to the back of the head. 

30 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

are you seriously suggesting that calling the tank Rogal Dorn is shallow and simplistic writing? Or is this me just 'not getting the context'?

Are Shermans or Abrams examples that the real world also has shallow and simplistic writing?

Yes, obviously.

Sherman is a General from Hamburgers and Fries land while Praetorian is a random latin word with no connection to anything and therefore classy and sophisticated.

3 hours ago, painting.for.my.sanity said:

That's not how informal names work, they tend to be fewer words than the official one.

It kind of had to be the Rogal Dorn. Couldn't have been the Johnson or worse, the Corvus Corax or Ferrus Manus.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Well real world tank naming convention aren't relevant to the writers of a fictional universe. Whereas naming something pragmatically in real military is expected, a writer for a science fiction setting should have a bit of flair and nuance.

It's fine if you don't want flair and nuance in this circumstance. Enjoy it named how you want it.

Edited by Captain Idaho