20 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I’m absolutely going to try and modify the desolation squad to look good without using other kits lol. I am unsure how, but… 

challenge accepted!

believe it!

I’m not sure I want to reward the bad design by buying the kit.

id rather convert intercessors with standard rocket launchers even though it might be more expensive.

39 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I’m not sure I want to reward the bad design by buying the kit.

id rather convert intercessors with standard rocket launchers even though it might be more expensive.

There are things about it I like honestly, I like the base rifle design with the underslung rotary rockets. I don’t like the wide profile the top creates. I also don’t like the belt feed

I think the sergeants gun looks good tbh.

I don’t want to use standard rockets, because they’re kinda dull.

I feel these should have been gravis dudes personally. It'll get expensive but I'm gonna use heavy intercessor bodies and stick the frag and krak launchers on aggressor backpacks where the frag launchers would normally go, kinda like the prototype hrunting armour from halo legends. The belt fed mini launcher will remain hand-held.

Desolators: not a fan of the design. As others have noted, it looks like you may have to decide on if they are modeled with the super frag or super krak missiles, which just seems like a overall design failure to me, but probably stemming from a marketing decision.

-The only thing i can see GW doing to sort of validate that decision is, calling back to an earlier prediction of mine, that the desolators will have a shoot twice mechanic AND the kit is sold with two super frag rifles,  two super krak rifles and a castellan/vengeance launcher for the sgt.

The logic being, with a shoot twice mechanic, you are getting a full squads worth of both types of super missiles each round, but they can lose the shoot twice mechanic when 10th drops and the multi part kits comes out, so we can buy more kits in the end.

Brutalis: its a big meh for me. It looks like they wanted to combine the different aspects of the Siege, Furioso and Leviathan dreads into a Redemptor chassis.

the only thing i don't like is the claws. They look like parrot or eagle claw and I see a bird reaching out for a treat every time i see the promotional pic. But a 3D printed claw is an easy fix for that.

u1aPMZV5.jpg

1 hour ago, Blindhamster said:

I’m absolutely going to try and modify the desolation squad to look good without using other kits lol. I am unsure how, but… 

challenge accepted!

believe it!

I stand by my comment about the nerf gun paint job; different colors for the two portions of the guns made a big difference in my opinion. Maybe try black or red weapon casing for the rotary component and hazard stripes on the rail-mounted rocket tubes?

Something I realised I forgot to mention earlier; I actually quite like the boxy missile launchers bitz, I just don't like them on a rifle weapon.

If I were to try and "fix" them, I'd see if the missiles can be fitted near vertically to the side of the marine's power pack, if you cut off one of the vents/nozzles. If the sensor on the power pack is meant to be there for missile guidance, why not use a vertical launch? It should solve the silly backblast and oversized weapon issues.

I don't see myself going out of my way to get a box of these guys, but I'm interested to see what bitz can be found in the kit, could be some fun kitbash potential there.

2 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

There are things about it I like honestly, I like the base rifle design with the underslung rotary rockets. I don’t like the wide profile the top creates. I also don’t like the belt feed

I think the sergeants gun looks good tbh.

I don’t want to use standard rockets, because they’re kinda dull.

I don’t mind the general look of the larger square launchers, but the little grenade(?) launcher underneath all of them is what ruins it for me. If they were all 3 separate wargear options it would be fine to me. Just that as it is now it’s all way too cluttered for my tastes. 2 rocket/grenade launchers smashed together, cables and ammo belts, some sort of optics/laser sights on the weapons, just waaay too much.

all of the edits removing either the bottom launcher or the top launcher from the ‘rifle’ looks acceptable to me.

all they needed to do was sci-fi-ify an m202

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

They should have given them something different for the legs. Like the devastator squads having reinforced stabilizers for the lower legs. Like giving them gravis legs.

but also not that big a fan of how the weapons look.

but that’s me.

contemplating just putting normal heavy weapons on them and maybe doing something to make the lower legs like gravis legs or like Dev squads.

14 hours ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

I would be tempted to use this hand instead...

primarisintercessor-41-1-600x401.jpg.716f6d8f16dbc46728d335fcb000547c.jpg

More a waving his brothers to unleash hell.

Good choice. The other one I quite like is the data panel on the wrist from the standard Intercessor kit. I think I have a couple of those going spare.

image.png.13693186396fa01173a57782521523dd.png

14 hours ago, Djangomatic82 said:

Brutalis: its a big meh for me. It looks like they wanted to combine the different aspects of the Siege, Furioso and Leviathan dreads into a Redemptor chassis.

the only thing i don't like is the claws.

Fortunately that one is easy to fix as they provide normal fingered hands as well. The rumours so far indicate that the choice of fists or claws is linked to the presence (or absence) of the built-in bolters so there may be some choices to make there but ultimately the actual shape of the fingers is really cosmetic.

image.thumb.png.b709c35ee548d7abc7809189f466cece.png

I'm also in the camp of thinking thr Brutalis looks far better with the hands and not the Claws.

I really like the bolters attached to the hand option as well.

The rules for the Claws will have to be a LOT better for me to equip it that way.

Having a little bit of time since these models were revealed to think over them and look at them multiple times to see if my opinion changed, here are my thoughts.

The Lieutenant, I like and I did when I first saw it. Multiple options are great and it looks easy to swap weapons out for other things as well. My only thing with it would be I would like to see one in Gravis Armour instead. But if one comes in future with options like this one then all good.

The Brutalis Dreadnought. I like the Redemptor so got no issues with this largely being similar with close combat weapons. However, as others have said, I really don't get Heavy stubbers with Space Marines. It should be a bolt weapon if they had to put a weapon on top. I would also have liked this to be a bit more armoured with a more protected torso. Another thing is this is meant to be a close combat monster but has a load of ranged weaponry as well. It almost looks as capable at ranged attacks as the Redemptor, which I don't personally agree with. Get rid of the heavy stubbers and for me it gets rid of some of these issues. The claws also look too chunky to me, especially as the Furioso Dreadnoughts claws look so much better. Hopefully the claws could just look that way due to how they have been painted.

The Desolation Squad. Where do I start. I just want to clear up that I am very pro GW and am very rarely negative in what they do/produce. So please don't think I'm jumping on the bandwagon of bashing these for the sake of it. The weapons are to big and busy to be on the mkX armour. GW have shown they can do Primaris heavy weapon marines well. I absolutely love the Eradicator with Multi Melta and the Heavy Intersessor with Heavy Bolter. The Gravis armour really suits big Heavy weapons. They obviously didn't want to go Gravis Armour for these so do something like add extra leg armour like the firstborn Devastator Squad marines have. I also feel the missile systems need to be separated.

Imagine the Eradicator with Multi melta, have that as the rotary missile weapon that's belt fed and don't have the tips missiles on show so the belt feed is more believable.

Then have the larger missiles mounted on a slightly re designed backpack so it looks a bit like a cyclone missile launcher.

Or switch them round so the marine is holding the larger missile launcher in the same pose/stance as the Multi Melta Eradicator. Have the rotary missiles mounted on one side at the top of the backpack, again belt fed to a drum/magazine on the backpack in a similar way it works on Agressors (where the magazine feeds the boltstorm gauntlets from the backpack). On the other side at the top of the backpack have a small targeting system.

I understand these are new weapons that people aren't used to seeing at this point but if they were designed better then people would take to them a lot easier. The amount of negatively I do believe is because people are disappointed in what could have been a really great unit.

8 minutes ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

Have they ever treated clawed dread CCWs differently from non-clawed rules wise? 

Furioso comes to mind, and the rumored rules for this dread have the claws being much better than the fists. Gotta track ‘em down to give the numbers…

*edit*

Here we go, via Tactical Tortoise on YouTube:

image.png.7ca6994771c136412a4800041e4117da.png

Seems more than worth trading bolt rifles for that talon profile.

Edited by Khornestar

10 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

RIP the Redemptor there... claws all the way AND twin MM for 4 guaranteed shots that are superior to the Plasma...

I might get me one.

It just seems so much better. I guess the Redemptor has a little more range with the plasma, and that isn’t insignificant, but otherwise does it have a single advantage over the brutalis? Overcharge for S9? D3 extra shots at S7 from the rocket launcher? Potentially slightly better anti horde shooting if you combine the two heavy/onslaught gatling cannons? And even then… so what? There are gonna be bolters in the army elsewhere.

I’m not salty exactly, I have 2 redemptors with my BT and I’ll likely get a brutalis, but a multimelta talon build is pretty slick.

Edited by Khornestar