6 minutes ago, Dudley Nightshade said:

(Sorry if this is asked and answered earlier. I'm way behind on this lengthy topic.)

Anyone know how the Mk VI arms look on Intercessors? The HH missile launchers look sufficiently different from the regular ones that you could easily make a case for counts-as.

They can be used pretty easily.

Instead of an avalanche of bashing, we could be discussing how easy it would be to model an alternative proxy. A squad of 10 Intercessors and a HH missile upgrade sprue could provide a more traditional looking alternative. 

And whilst I do agree that it's still early and people are reacting, the same people keep posting negative comments over and over. I simply think the hate isn't justified, especially as the unit can be ignored or modified.

Also, I don't see how the wider community on this forum can claim the design took them by surprise. We saw the Silhouette a while back, and it was an accurate representation of the models and the dimensions of the wargear.

Edited by Orange Knight

42 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I've been perusing the Internet and I must say the community has drained much of the joy I had at this reveal.

The weapons for the Desolation squad are different and new from things we've had in the past, and sometimes it takes a while for people to get used to new things, but my goodness the hate has been comically overblown.

"Hate" is a very strong word.

Saying you dislike a model for reason X is not "hate", its merely voicing your opinion about something. You are allowed to both agree or disagree with said opinion. I've yet to see anyone in this thread get actual flakk (or "hate") for liking Desolators though.

If you like the Desolators then great, more power to you. Buy them, use them and enjoy them. Don't let other peoples opinions discourage you - why would it? 

Personally I think that Desolators might very well be the worst looking Primaris model GW has ever released, and while I might not agree with people who like them, I certainly wont begrudge anyone for liking them either. A subjective opinion can never be wrong, just not necessarily shared. 

Edited by Minsc

37 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

When GW sees the feedback from social media on the new Desolation squad:

"Make them Damage 6 and 3 shots."

But only for the sheet in the box which will be valid for about 3 months until the new codex drops and they get nerfed back to their original stats. :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, farfromsam said:

well a heavy bolter is literally a chain fed missile launcher... 

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

I think the main issue is they’re now not working inside a framework of what’s accepted within the range or lore as since the Primaris redesign dropped the designers seem to have dropped all restrictions as to what a marine can be to very very mixed results!

Let’s be honest here too the best Primaris kits are the ones that are basic updates to the Firstborn [Intercessors + Assault + Bladeguard] I don’t need Marines with guns on guns on guns an 8ft tall genetically wrought Demi God of war with a Bolter or sword and shield is already scary + awesome enough without being OOT 

Edited by WARMASTER_
Spelling - Tired

27 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I've been perusing the Internet and I must say the community has drained much of the joy I had at this reveal.

The weapons for the Desolation squad are different and new from things we've had in the past, and sometimes it takes a while for people to get used to new things, but my goodness the hate has been comically overblown.

It's a Marine with a big gun - that's all. Are these the best looking guns? No; their silhouette and profile doesn't match more traditional weapons that we're accustomed to, but the discussion about the unit's potential performance, how it slots into armies, etc is completely drowned by the same parroting comments. I keep returning to the topic hoping the conversation has moved on. Silly me.

The Scout models in the Firstborn range are pretty grotesque to my eyes, and I never used them as a result. No one has to buy or use these models.

It’s weird that other people not liking them has sapped your enthusiasm, but the weapons are weird, and goofy looking, and in general don’t fit in much.

Looking some more, the slimmer octagonal missile tubes look better than the larger square boxy ones. I wonder if the tubes are meant to represent different profiles and whether there will be enough parts in the kit to make them all up with the slimmer design.

image.png.72a046b58434091e0c9db27c0d90f00b.png

4 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I simply think the hate isn't justified, especially as the unit can be ignored or modified.

29 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

my goodness the hate has been comically overblown.

Mockery, not hate.

Practice enjoying things even when other people disagree.

But that's the point, they aren't even that bad.

I think some of the poses are off, and the sgt's weapon is too big, but if you build them correctly they's nothing that off about them.

This is just a Marine with a new Heavy weapon.

The devil is in the details: The missile feed chute just doesn't work and isn't fixable (so far), and a silhouette is not the same at all as seeing the final product.

Also some disliked minis can be more easily ignored than others: Suppressors, ATVs or Centurions never have been a core part of SM armies and their identity, but a supposed Devastator replacement that we may be stuck with for decades being ugly annoys many more fans. I don't like clickbaity negativity, but sometimes a failure is just a failure.

If we want to talk about proxies, I'd just use intercessors kitbashed with traditional missile launchers and devastator backpacks, at least they look like they belong in M41:

915935236_primarisml.jpg.0abb403b63f0de61216aac3119eafd33.jpg

In general it will take a while for any salt or fatigue after a marine wave to mellow out, especially when people look at Sigmar and see the beginning of a Lizardmen refresh after a very good chaos warriors refresh.

I figure once we can at least claim that other armies are well supported people might be less annoyed at marines.

The Desolators are salvageable with some work - I’ve already written a couple of posts on how they would look better and more in line with what we’re used to for the Space Marines.

As they are - nah, no thanks.  That mini-launcher thing on the bottom that’s belt-fed - that’s dumb, and really, not much different (as has been pointed out) from a heavy bolter - it doesn’t really warrant a new weapon design.  Maybe it’s no more dumb than Grimnar surfing a sleigh, but I prefer the sleigh.  I can make something out of both the sleigh and these though, either one probably won’t be acceptable to the “OFFICIAL ONLY GW STUFF” crowd (which I thankfully don’t play with).

It’s amusing to me how a quad of those smaller octagonal tubes would already look a lot like an M202 with a split door, instead of the one dropping down only on the real weapon, if they are stacked on top of each other, one with the doors opening up and one with the doors opening down.  Do a shoulder firing position as a good missile launcher should be and boom, Bob’s your uncle.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

19 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Looking some more, the slimmer octagonal missile tubes look better than the larger square boxy ones. I wonder if the tubes are meant to represent different profiles and whether there will be enough parts in the kit to make them all up with the slimmer design.

I've just been assuming the smaller tubes were the Superfrag and the larger were the Superkrak. So there should be enough bits in the box for a full squad's worth of either. The leaked stats had them working just like most Primaris weapons - the whole squad has to take the same variation.

Edited by Lord Nord

28 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

But only for the sheet in the box which will be valid for about 3 months until the new codex drops and they get nerfed back to their original stats. :rolleyes:

That!

59 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

It's a Marine with a big gun - that's all. Are these the best looking guns? No; their silhouette and profile doesn't match more traditional weapons that we're accustomed to, but the discussion about the unit's potential performance, how it slots into armies, etc is completely drowned by the same parroting comments. I keep returning to the topic hoping the conversation has moved on. Silly me.

17 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I think some of the poses are off, and the sgt's weapon is too big, but if you build them correctly they's nothing that off about them.

The silhoutte is what was bothering me, but then I saw this:

6 hours ago, Old-Four-Arms said:

Not mine, but this could be the perfect solution 1674820435436497.png

And I like this. Breaking the big duo-guns into two distinct color profiles fixed the only major problem I had with the models.

My minimum fixes would be:

• Remove the ammo belt, so the entry port in the gun looks like an exhaust vent for the undersung revolver rocket pod.
  • Model all missile boxes with the doors closed to avoid their visual bunny ears effect, and not opening downwards as they should.
  • Only the sergeant uses the signum, and the rest only the smaller auspex in their backpacks. (To make him more noticable and closer to Devastators)

31 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

The sad part to me is, that if they left the underslung weapon and ammo belts off, I’d probably like them.

as they are now, it just looks too try hard to me.

24 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Yes just a marine with a heavy weapon.

a butt ugly heavy weapon.

38 minutes ago, WARMASTER_ said:

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

I think the main issue is they’re now not working inside a framework of what’s accepted within the range or lore as since the Primaris redesign dropped the designers seem to have dropped all restrictions as to what a marine can be to very very mixed results!

Let’s be honest here too the best Primaris kits are the ones that are basic updates to the Firstborn [Intercessors + Assault + Bladeguard] I don’t need Marines with guns on guns on guns an 8ft tall genetically wrought Demi God of war with a Bolter or sword and shield is already scary + awesome enough without being OOT 

I’d also say eliminators are pretty great, infiltrators are decent, heavy intercessors, hellblasters and eradicators are good too.

the only iffy primaris infantry (IMO) are:

- suppressors

- rievers

- incursors

40 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

It’s weird that other people not liking them has sapped your enthusiasm, but the weapons are weird, and goofy looking, and in general don’t fit in much.

Not liking them isn't the problem. The fact that there is no other conversation is.

5 minutes ago, lansalt said:

My minimum fixes would be:

• Remove the ammo belt, so the entry port in the gun looks like an exhaust vent for the undersung revolver rocket pod.
  • Model all missile boxes with the doors closed to avoid their visual bunny ears effect, and not opening downwards as they should.
  • Only the sergeant uses the signum, and the rest only the smaller auspex in their backpacks. (To make him more noticable and closer to Devastators)

Could also just cut the doors off it’ll they’re modeled on.

1 minute ago, Orange Knight said:

Not liking them isn't the problem. The fact that there is no other conversation is.

Then start whatever other conversations you want to have happen.

right now they’re a meme with how they look, and the community is having a good time with it. It hasn’t even been a full day yet. People are still seeing them for the first time, and coming to pile on about how ugly they look.

2 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

This is literally a thread about the reveal of new models. The topic is literally about whether people like or dislike the reveal and models.

When this thread is finished, that'll be the end of the topic.

It'll be fine.

I’ve grown accustomed to the sheer amount of hate and vitriol we see in the comments here… not sure if that’s a good thing either. Seriously DaVinci could design a Space Marine and the crew here would all say it’s totally rubbish.

Edited by BLACK BLΠFLY

16 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

the only iffy primaris infantry (IMO) are:

- suppressors

- rievers

- incursors

Don’t forget Inceptors, Warsuits and ATV’s 

But yeh I mostly agree, Heavy intercessors hit that “we’re doing something new but still within a framework” sweet spot and they look great