I think the Super Krak is the more worthwhile option. Primaris already have access to a lot of anti-infantry options.

I don't know if the Krak is the option with 2 big tubes, or the 4 little ones. I would assume its the 2 big tubes as it has a lower rate of fire.

I'm assuming you don't get all 3 options and have to chose when you assemble the kit...

I am surprised the indirect fire option is shared across the unit no matter which missile type is chosen. I wonder if you can fire both each turn?

9 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

What’s wrong with inceptors? Aside from the helmet with the vision slit option? 
I’ve never heard or seen anyone complain about their aesthetics before.

9 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

I kinda like inceptors, they make sense as orbital drop troops, so I can get behind them. The war suit is something I kinda like too, it sort of makes sense that you’d use a dreadnaught chassis with a living pilot where possible. ATVs aren’t infantry, but yes, I agree! 

to me, heavy intercessors/eradicators/the updated gravis captain was them finally perfecting gravis

Not to derail the thread but aesthetically to me Inceptors mostly just look clumsy! Like a baby sat in a carrier with their arms and legs sat forwards 

Orbital assault troops are already SM thing too so it’s a redundant niece with Drop Pods, Thunder hawks, Storm Eagle’s, Assault marines etc 

Warsuits literally just make 0 sense model wise and lore wise, Why not just armour the Cockpit? Looks like something straight from Avatar. Lore wise they directly take away the whole “Grimdark” aspect of Dreadnoughts for me which is obviously the best bit 

I get people like them and I begrudge no one for it but they go in my Ignore they exist pile with these new Desolation guys 

Assault marines aren’t orbital assault, they require transport into atmosphere, the rest of your examples are redundant too. Inceptors actually make their drops from orbiting ships and are smaller targets which is tactically sound as they’re less likely to be picked up by scanners/radar, they’re also able to manoeuvre in a way drop pods (the only legitimate orbital drop option mentioned) can’t. So I’ll just say we can politely disagree on that one :)

disagree on war suits too, mostly because the pilot wears power armour, so doesn’t really need the extra protection, that said, I can understand not liking it, even if I do. Lore wise they take nothing away from dreads as dreads are still a thing

I don't particularly like the Inceptors, but they are much nicer than some other kits.

The ugliest Astartes kits have to be the Attack Bikes and Scouts. The Marine in the attack bike side car doesn't have a torso, he's just legs and arms. Disgusting model.

I'm also not particularly fond of the Dreadknights but they grew on me over the years.

Isn't the Attack Bike from 2nd edition? It's pretty ancient. 

I didn't mind the Scouts once I popped Tempestus Scions helmets on them and painted their arms as if armoured... :laugh:

Moving back to topic... GW have swung and missed before with Primaris and compensate with the next releases. They don't generally remove something though, even if it just doesn't get another kit. Aggressors are an example of a design that put off too many people, particularly the Captain in Gravis armour. Subsequently Heavy Intercessors and that Gravis Captain with the Chainsword they released look much better.

Any future heavy weapons for Primaris will likely take this feedback as well I reckon.

(Though it should have evolved past the concept stage with community engagement giving feedback but nu-GW perhaps haven't quite moved away from old-GW as far as we are led to believe...)

18 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

Assault marines aren’t orbital assault, they require transport into atmosphere, the rest of your examples are redundant too. Inceptors actually make their drops from orbiting ships and are smaller targets which is tactically sound as they’re less likely to be picked up by scanners/radar, they’re also able to manoeuvre in a way drop pods (the only legitimate orbital drop option mentioned) can’t. So I’ll just say we can politely disagree on that one :)

disagree on war suits too, mostly because the pilot wears power armour, so doesn’t really need the extra protection, that said, I can understand not liking it, even if I do. Lore wise they take nothing away from dreads as dreads are still a thing

Assault marines are orbital drop troops though both Inceptors and assault marines require a dropship to get them to a certain level to drop just that the assualt marines require the dropship to go lower [Which wasn’t an issue for 10k years of SM tactics] Thunderhawks and Stormeagles are also more manoeuvrable better armoured and also act as Air superiority fighters, support, resupply and redeployment vessels for an assault, Drop Pods again not much bigger waaaay better armoured and in lore can also barley be detected or shot down, it was a redundant role to fill, so I’ll politely disagree also :) 

That’s like saying devastators wear power armour so Predators are redundant as they carry the same weapons. Extra protection is always good ;)

2 hours ago, Jukkiz said:

well well, this seems like good conversion idea

Fnf-2riXwAQI0ld.jpg

FniP_BtacAAoxs2.jpg

Feels like this instantly fixes everything more or less?

Could then put the round thingy on the backpack? That's supposed to be the indirect firing weapon anyway? (It is right?)

Just wonder how practical it is to put into practise...

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

Rocket squad is a big miss for me. Not a fan of the guns, would have preferred a traditional over the shoulder style weapon.  Even if the design of the rocket launchers was the same I feel over the shoulder would have been a better choice. After looking at some of the other special squads the desolation squad feels a bit under whelming.  Would have liked to see a unique backpack for them if they are belt fed with a modded back pack to hold more ammo along with the sensor.  Just like some of the other heavy special weapons (heavy melta, heavy plasma rifle) have power cables going to the back pack, like the old missile launcher back pack.

The "round thingy" is more like a grenade launcher, so it being underslung isn't bad to me (if it didn't had the stupid ammo belt). I think the 4 missile boxes variant is the only one that makes sense. It looks like it can be reloaded by hand and has enough shots for the duration of a battle. The 1 and 2 box versions do not make sense for troopers, only maybe for the Sergeant as one-shot HK missiles.

That version above with 4 underslung boxes also looks good, but it would be better over the shoulder for the Arnold in Commando look :biggrin:

Edited by lansalt

3 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I think the Super Krak is the more worthwhile option. Primaris already have access to a lot of anti-infantry options.

I am inclined to agree. In fact Desolators pack their own anti-infantry in the form of the Castellan launchers. If the choice does have to be made before battle then Superkrak does seem like the better choice, particularly given that Primaris tend to be a bit light on long-ranged anti-tank options so Desolators will fill that niche to some extent.

Still hoping that the weapon will have 2 firing profiles as per the current missile launchers but I guess we will have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I don't know if the Krak is the option with 2 big tubes, or the 4 little ones. I would assume its the 2 big tubes as it has a lower rate of fire.

I'm assuming you don't get all 3 options and have to chose when you assemble the kit...

I am surprised the indirect fire option is shared across the unit no matter which missile type is chosen. I wonder if you can fire both each turn?

If he Knights are anything to go by, the smaller rockets are probably krak and the larger ones are probably frag. The large warhead is designed to represent the big fragmentation warhead while the sleeker one is like an arrow for piercing armour. To be fair, I think the choice is going to be largely cosmetic. If you can fire both sorts of ammo then the type modelled is purely an aesthetic choice. If you have to choose one or the other then simply pick the one you like and tell your opponent before the game. The only way I can see it being a problem is if you choose on a model-by-model basis in which it will get confusing if you do not have the correct number to represent what you have chosen to field.

I would expect that they will be able to fire both weapons every turn. It is a general rule in 40K that models can fire all their guns as long as they are not mixing pistol and non-pistol weapons. That is why Inceptors are counted as carrying 2 separate weapons. This means that if Desolators cannot fire weapons, they would need to have a rule specifically forbidding it. That would be a very strange choice for a unit designed as a heavy support squad.

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I really hope that is not the case. I had assumed that they would be able to choose their firing profile each turn, like regular missile launchers. If you have to pick one profile before the start of the battle, that will probably be a hard pass from me.

Thinking about it, I don't think that would work since the squad shown has both types of missile. This implies the squad does not have to take the same variation.

I think the differing visual loadout represents 2 squads of 5, as each has a sarge, FWIW.

*edit* Wait they totally do not… *facepalm*

The rumored unit stats really are a little confusing/incomplete. Very much want to know the whole situation right this second.

@everyone hit me up when you’re unloading these guys for dirt cheap when you buy the box. I’m down for 10. :)

Edited by Khornestar

1 hour ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

Inceptors don't require a dropship. They can literally jump out of the hanger of an orbiting strike cruiser.

“Leaping from the assault bays of low-orbiting attack craft“ 8th Codex

Sounds like they require one to me 

Edited by WARMASTER_

12 minutes ago, WARMASTER_ said:

“Leaping from the assault bays of low-orbiting attack craft“ 8th Codex

Sounds like they require one to me 

'Orbit' is a lot higher than where armospheric dropships operate. 

It happens in a few books. In Dark Imperium they have a specially modified jump bay in one of the new strike craft, in another they just walk out of a strike cruiser hangar bay.

I think Inceptors make a lot of sense, in practice.

They make drops without the use of a pod, and can be hit by both Debris and AA weapons. The heavy armour protects them from such weapons more effectively than regular power armour, and the bigger, bulkier suit and jetpack store both more ammunition and power for longer flight.

Edit: In the lore they do get dropped from low orbit, which is space. 

Edited by Orange Knight