Armies on Parade. Blood Angels of the Andromache Sector

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve started playing with test schemes and methodologies. I think the first is selling the effect I want best. This is quite labour intensive, layers of different metallics and oils to add visual interest to the miniatures. There’s another couple of steps once the oils have dried too. I want to try using artist pastels on the robes to add some texture and more depth. The two minis have different base coats, the first a bone colour and the second a standard zentihal black and white.

Thanks everyone! 

16 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

The metallics on the first one are nice, especially on the right-hand thigh :smile: 

I think I’m going to go with this method. It’s my preferred one too so far. I’ve one other I want to try out. 

10 hours ago, Trysanna said:

The way you've painted the second sisters blue cloth looks so good. Very painterly, reminds me of canvas work.

thanks. I’m using oils to get that effect. I make religious art in my life outside of 40k and the idea came from some Virgin Mary icons I painted last year. I want these minis to look like they’ve stepped from a painting. It’s hard to discipline myself not to paint these as typical minis though.

15 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

I quite like the scheme you're going for with these. There's something about the sisters that lend themselves to conversions such as these. Looking forward to them being complete going by the work you put into the Blood Angels.

I hope so! This is a much more difficult project for me, to be honest, I don’t have a huge amount of female pieces in my bits box, and I want to avoid the grotesque imagery of my blood angels. Sisters are normally associated with mega grimdark, but for these, at least in painting style, I want something more noblebright and almost high fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

Further development of the blue. As you can see it’s a messy process. I use a whole bunch of oil paints, and then once it’s dry I go in with some blue chalk pastels to reduce shine. The silver is AK pearl and Vallejo dark metal, washed with brown oil. Now I’ll go in and add some details and some Vallejo real metallics 

6C52D06D-9411-42F8-A5B9-275E2785A985.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I got the bulk done of the first minis. They just need gold details and then their heads and backpacks finishing. The blue and silver scheme looks amazing, and has loads of visual interest and depth. I’m going to go in with some washes and powders especially on the war machines to make the silver more interesting.

An unanticipated aspect of these being a sort of tester squad is that the different undercoats add quite a lot of variation to the armour, so I think I’m going to keep with this idea across the whole army. Now I’ve a lot of building to do 

27DECBEF-7D31-4791-9822-D884D2CE5EC3.jpeg

Edited by gideon stargreave

• 2 weeks later...

Like what you are doing with your sisters - that blue is very vibrant.  I do think the kite shields look much better than the round ones - the shape is much more evocative and I don't think the wood backing on the round ones is the best fit for the sister's aesthetic.

Don't know if this is helpful, but my old sisters army was in blue - maybe there is something in my thread that might inspire.