43 minutes ago, Xenith said:

If by very new you mean about a decade old, then yes. I recall they came out 2014 at the latest, probably 2010/2011 with the 5th ed book? There are older models out there, but newer models have also seen redesigns and re-releases in less time. 

Way older. Thier kit was retooled to add boneswords and lashwhips but the original bodies are old like maybe over 20 years I remember buying some a long long time ago back when most of thier range was metal in the hive fleet Kraken days.

15 minutes ago, marspeople said:

For some reason the Warriors look way older than the Hive Guard.

They are. Warriors are like Space marine bikes, they got a new mold and sprue but are old sculpts. There's been 2 versions of Tyrant Guard since the warriors were sculpted.

1 minute ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Way older. Thier kit was retooled to add boneswords and lashwhips but the original bodies are old like maybe over 20 years I remember buying some a long long time ago back when most of thier range was metal in the hive fleet Kraken days.

Its not even the Hive Fleet Kraken days since that colour scheme was only retconned into being Kraken with 4th ed. The warrior sculpt predates hive fleets having official colour schemes.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

1 hour ago, Halandaar said:

It's the same aesthetic, that's not the same as it being the same models. The current kit was newly redesigned for 6th Edition which is still relatively recent in model refresh terms.

Relatively recent for Xenos, that is :wink:

But also 6th edition was like 11 years ago now. Is that too far removed for a refresh? I'm not convinced it's out of the question, tbh.

8 minutes ago, Closet Skeleton said:

They are. Warriors are like Space marine bikes, they got a new mold and sprue but are old sculpts. There's been 2 versions of Tyrant Guard since the warriors were sculpted.

Oh then they definitely need a redo.

Edited by marspeople

If that size comparison is correct, we can see that proportions of the warrior are out of whack, which would make sense if it is 11 years old at the most conservative of estimates.

That is reason enough to make a new kit, but its not like the current one is burning holes in my retinas either.

6 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

They’re the same design but they’re not literally the same models as the kit they replaced. The whole sprues were new for the current kit, so they’re as old as whenever the mould was cut. And personally the design is fine. I’m not gonna say no to new warriors, but this is hardly some massive upgrade or redesign. 

Just now, Marshal Reinhard said:

If that size comparison is correct, we can see that proportions of the warrior are out of whack, which would make sense if it is 11 years old at the most conservative of estimates.

That is reason enough to make a new kit, but its not like the current one is burning holes in my retinas either.

Yeah they aren't ugly just not as cool as they could be given the extra detail on these newest sculpts and bringing shrike variant to plastic is something we can all agree is a solid move I think. It makes me wonder though if the new Screamer killer will be a replacement or a companion to the current Carnifex as it isn't like 20+ years old.

3 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

I think new warriors may have to wait their turn given all the other updates nids are getting. I'd argue that genestealers needed it more.

I can imagine there's gonna be a quite a few new kits and redo's as they teased it being a big release. Genestealers are also as old as the guants.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

I wouldn't say a new kits is needed but I think it would be very nice to have. Some areas of the warriors could be spruced up, the chest on the winged Prime looks much better and I'd like to see regular warriors get the back chimneys or at least something alluding to them like the new Termagants are getting. 

16 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I can imagine there's gonna be a quite a few new kits and redo's as they teased it being a big release. Genestealers are also as old as the guants.

Nope, Genestealers are the newest Tyranid basic infantry after Gargolyes and only the oldest if you don't count sprue recuts like the termagants, hormagaunts and warriors.

Genestealers (space hulk)

Warriors, termagants (tyranid attack)

3rd ed: Warriors, hormagaunts and termagants (sculpt)

Genestealers 4th ed (current, )

5th ed: Hormagaunts and Termagants (recut into separate kits, current, ) Gargolyes (plastic, current, 5th ed), Warriors (re-released with new weapons, 5th ed)

Warriors (recut with new weapons, current, 6th ed)

Space Hulk genestealers came out during 1st ed and were on sale until 4th. Then there's also the newer Space Hulk Genestealers contemporary with 4th and the DW Overkill Purestrain contemporary with 7th and styled after the older ones.

Tyranid kit in most need of a refresh is the Carnifex as building one of those is like building a 90s all metal monster kit at this point.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

3 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

How many new kits and refreshes did they get though? We can maybe use that as a basis for comparison. 

Only if you expect them to meet, and not exceed, the 9th edition update. I'd say it's more likely that a necron level refresh is the floor for what to expect.

I heard tell somewhere - no clue if it was official, from an insider/rumourmonger, dream state, or on this very board - of this 'Nid refresh being the biggest update they've ever done.

Warriors were not "retooled" with extra bits in 2014 any more than Crisis Suits or Fire Warriors were during the same edition. They were all newly designed kits using the same design hallmarks as their previous iterations. You might as well tell me that the current Tactical Squad is just a slightly tweaked version of the one from the 3rd Edition Starter set. Some kits are like that (Land Speeders and SM Bikes for example). Tyranid Warriors are not.

2 minutes ago, Closet Skeleton said:

Nope, Genestealers are the newest Tyranid basic infantry after Gargolyes and only the oldest if you don't count sprue recuts like the termagants, hormagaunts and warriors.

Genestealers (space hulk)

Warriors, termagants (tyranid attack)

Warriors, hormagaunts and termagants 3rd ed (sculpt)

Genestealers (current, 4th ed)

Hormagaunts and Termagants (recut into separate kits, current, 5th ed) Gargolyes (plastic, current, 5th ed), Warriors (re-released with new weapons, 5th ed)

Warriors (recut with new weapons, current, 6th ed)

Yeah that's right, they had a plastic snap fit kit for the longest time didn't they.

This winged prime looks like a welcome update to the now very old warrior design, but there is really no justification for the middle wings when you look at the flyrant which is perfect in that regard, with wings on top and whatever else in the middle.

To put some comments to rest.

Current Warriors design is from 2001' 3rd Ed Tyranid Codex (and from Jes Goodwin).

Their weapons design and their posing (ie legs) were tinkered with for the 6th Edition Codex in 2014.

here is a picture from 3rd Ed Codex to convince the heretics , go check the webstore and see how "different" they are now

Tyranid_warriors_3rd_ed_page_21.jpg

Edited by siegfriedfr

I really like him! The wings are absolutely gorgeous (which is unfortunate as my 'nids all use insect wings for flight...) and I'm really liking the overall stylings. Back spine is a bit odd maybe but nothing awful.

Also can we appreciate for a second that he's not got his wings splayed out in a pose that makes transport an absolute pain?

Just now, Halandaar said:

Warriors were not "retooled" with extra bits in 2014 any more than Crisis Suits or Fire Warriors were during the same edition. They were all newly designed kits using the same design hallmarks as their previous iterations. You might as well tell me that the current Tactical Squad is just a slightly tweaked version of the one from the 3rd Edition Starter set. Some kits are like that (Land Speeders and SM Bikes for example). Tyranid Warriors are not.

Except they were just retooled and I have one right on my desk. They added some weapons and one new body for the Prime with a head crest and shoulder chitin and used all the same original parts beyond that. They also lost a bit of variety too as the original kit had extra bits of carapace and multiples of the head crest variants. The Primes bits were new the boneswords, rending claws, lash whips all new, everything else the same. There was no reason to fully redo the kit back then just add the missing options the original turkey warriors had.

Its a decent but uninspired sculpt, solid but not exciting really. 

The Nid warriors definitely look broadly the same as the ones i bought on release in the distant, dusty past but the sprues are a little different, no shared sprues with other kits and different options but a lot of the components i think are exactly the same as the ones before. 

3 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Except they were just retooled and I have one right on my desk. They added some weapons and one new body for the Prime with a head crest and shoulder chitin and used all the same original parts beyond that. They also lost a bit of variety too as the original kit had extra bits of carapace and multiples of the head crest variants. The Primes bits were new the boneswords, rending claws, lash whips all new, everything else the same. There was no reason to fully redo the kit back then just add the missing options the original turkey warriors had.

Just because the maintained the aesthetic it doesn't mean they "retooled" them, it's intentional misinformation to say so. They redesigned the components and sprues, added new options in, chose to keep some components and aesthetic choices incredibly similar. As noted above, do you consider every tactical squad a "retooling" of the one before it simply because they're similar looking? Conversely they did this partly so people could blend them in to their existing army and bits, much as GW was want to do back then.

If you're arguing the visual design of the warrior needs an update that's one thing, but a sprue first ever cut in 2014 isn't old by any standard for 40k.

21 minutes ago, Closet Skeleton said:

Tyranid kit in most need of a refresh is the Carnifex as building one of those is like building a 90s all metal monster kit at this point.

I would say the kits most in need of a refresh include biovores/pyrovores, lictors and gargoyles