1 minute ago, tzeentch9 said:

I would say the kits most in need of a refresh include biovores/pyrovores, lictors and gargoyles

'Stealers are easily in the worst spot after gaunts. Slotta bases need to go away, especially since they've repeatedly shown us they can make better stealers

I like it - moreso in the 360 view than the photos.

Warriors are a kit that it would be nice if they got an update but they aren't in critical need of one. I suspect that they will get an update, to keep the scale increase if nothing else, and I suspect they will be a dual-kit with winged warriors much like how Vargheists and Crypt Horrors share a kit. It seems odd to me that they would bring back a winged Prime but not give it a Warrior-style retinue (though this bad boy coming out of a cloud of Gargoyles will look awesome should there not be a new kit). This could also be why we aren't seeing any regular Warriors in the trailer/starter set - opting for a full redo with new options rather than an easy-build update of the current ones.

I am excited to see how the Tyranid range develops. I have always liked them but have had some bad times with the smaller creature kits (Termagants and Hormagaunts especially) but the monsters seem to hold up pretty well - we have seen a new Screamer Killer but that doesn't necessarily mean the old Carnifex kit is going away, particularly if the Screamer-Killer is a distinct Elites choice versus the generic Carnifex Heavy choice.

26 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Yeah that's right, they had a plastic snap fit kit for the longest time didn't they.

The snap fit ones were in the 4th ed battle for McCrag starter and didn't last that long, the Space Hulk ones from 1989 were push fit but the arms would fall off without glue. Current stealers are from 2005.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

This one is not really doing it for me.

Could equally be the pose/paint job isnt my cup of tea thought to be honest.

My inner Edna is screaming 'No capes/Wings' on seeing this they as look like they will be in the way/be tripped over like that.
It's good to see the furled wings instead of them always dramatically extended but these look cumbersome like this.

1 minute ago, Mogger351 said:

Just because the maintained the aesthetic it doesn't mean they "retooled" them, it's intentional misinformation to say so. They redesigned the components and sprues, added new options in, chose to keep some components and aesthetic choices incredibly similar. As noted above, do you consider every tactical squad a "retooling" of the one before it simply because they're similar looking? Conversely they did this partly so people could blend them in to their existing army and bits, much as GW was want to do back then.

If you're arguing the visual design of the warrior needs an update that's one thing, but a sprue first ever cut in 2014 isn't old by any standard for 40k.

Difference being the Tactical Squad used fully redesigned parts all designed in cad the Tyranid warriors did not. I consider many of the Tactical squads a retooling as they reused many of the exact same hand sculpted parts while only updating and adding certain new elements the current Tactical squad did not do this and was 100% cad and 100% redesigned.

Ork Boys also got this treatment it's not a bad thing to have a new sprue cut with older parts it's still a visual update and adds value in the form of new options while keeping the elements of the original kit extending it's shelf life and cutting down on design time. No misinformation just fact. And if the new Primaris datasheets really only have 1 option for the weapons I'd appreciate they do the same for them and add melee weapons for the sgt's.

6 minutes ago, Burni said:

I genuinely feel that a new carnifex is a monkey’s paw wish. I fear what we would lose from one of GWs all time great kits. 

Agreed. Such a good kit considering its age. It doesn’t go together that well sadly but I really hope a new carnifex is as modular as the current one with as many options. 

2 minutes ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

Wasn't there something that looked a lot like a screamer killer in the trailer?

There was.

Though I think gw will end up keeping it distinct from a carnifex so they can sell both kits, but we'll know either way on Saturday 

55 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Difference being the Tactical Squad used fully redesigned parts all designed in cad the Tyranid warriors did not. I consider many of the Tactical squads a retooling as they reused many of the exact same hand sculpted parts while only updating and adding certain new elements the current Tactical squad did not do this and was 100% cad and 100% redesigned.

Ork Boys also got this treatment it's not a bad thing to have a new sprue cut with older parts it's still a visual update and adds value in the form of new options while keeping the elements of the original kit extending it's shelf life and cutting down on design time. No misinformation just fact. And if the new Primaris datasheets really only have 1 option for the weapons I'd appreciate they do the same for them and add melee weapons for the sgt's.

But that's still not true, they are constructed differently, here's choice posts from the tyranid hive around the time of the release:

The new warrior torso is very close to the old one. Its the same size and the join is similar. The new one is more precisely molded and has a better set of locator pins and recesses so it goes together better. You could work around them easily enough. The part where I think you'll have trouble is at the shoulder guards. The cut is not in the same place. If you join an old back to a new front, you'd have a gap. If you matched a new back to an old front you'd have to trim it to fit.

And

Differences:
New rending claw sculpt.
3 different leg pairs that fit on specific bodies,so you get 3 different stances rather than 1 in the old kit, plus they fit so you can't do it wrong and end up with wobbly models.
Barbed strangler is a new sculpt.
All the weapon options.
3 different head crests, but not enough to make a unit with all the same type.
Warrior prime parts
Different jaw parts.
Adreanal gland resculpt.
new and old arms are interchangeable, but legs are not without some chopping and filling.

The point being, looking incredibly similar, or almost identical, does not mean it's the same sculpt that needs replacing by default as long as the look of the unit is still OK.

I do like how they've made this sculpt look like it's prowling after touching down, both from a dynamicism perspective and a model transport perspective. I do also thing that moving the wings to the upper shoulder joint would make more sense from an ergonomics point of view though. Despite it inevitably being a monopose model on release, it has some good potential for conversion. A decent middle ground pose could probbly be made by inverting the wings and switching the shoulder positions so the upper limbs are the (now upwards-oriented) furled wings and the lower limbs are the talons. Shame the promo photos don't lend themselves well to photoshop!

EDIT

Rough sketch of what I mean, poor guy missed leg day lol

E3A09E5D-F65E-47FA-9202-347E291DFF87.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Oddity
Art!

1 hour ago, Mogger351 said:

There isn't an elites or heavy any more.

True, I was referring to it within the current vernacular and because I couldn't remember if the current Tyranid codex has the Screamer-Killer as a distinct unit or not (I know at least one Codex did have it as a bespoke Elites choice).

Perhaps I should say, if the Screamer-Killer is a distinct datasheet then it is possible a the new model in the 40K starter set will simply be for that datasheet and the current Carnifex kit remains for a separate datasheet for the options like Crushing Claws, Heavy Venom Cannon, Heavy Barbed Stranger, Twin Devourers etc.

Anyone see any reason why the wings cant be in the air like the vid pose? Nids arnt usually as pose locked as other armys single pose models. Obv wings cant be fully open but shoukd be pretty doable/cool too(if i get a second that is)

Looks like I’m going against the grain here but I love the pose. Choosing to place the wings as the middle pair of limbs does have the potential to make the model look awkward but the sense of movement gives the model a dynamism that completely sells it.